I ran a nail into my hand,
    The wound was hard to heal;
    So bitter was the pain to stand
    I thought how it would feel,
    To have spikes thrust through hands and feet,
    Impaled by hammer beat.

- Robert William Service

The Spike Men

Nails are old things - spikes driven to fasten one thing to another, primitive wedges used to bring together rather than drive apart. Similarly, their power is just as simple and visceral - so many powers require lengthy rituals, fancy words and propitiations of spirits and monsters.

None of that here.

Simply wash yourself in sawdust and rust, rinsing yourself with a lave of turpentine. Then let the Hammer Man drive the cast-iron nail into you - tear it out, and use the hole as a mould for hot iron. Let your blood quench it, and behold the glory.

What Do The Nails Give Me?
    The nails nail you to yourself - as long as a single nail is embedded in your body, you do not suffer Aggravated damage from massive physical trauma. Moreover, the pain overpowers any other that you might encounter - while you suffer a permanent -1 Wound Penalty, you take no penalties from other mundane sources of pain, and may extend this protection to Supernatural sources of pain for a Scene by spending one Willpower.

Keeping The Body Together
    As long as you are nailed to yourself, you suffer no Wound Penalties from Bashing or Lethal damage - and any Wound Penalties you might have due to Aggravated damage overlap with the permanent penalty from the nails. You need not roll to stay conscious when your Health Levels are filled with Bashing, and suffer no ongoing damage once your Health Levels are filled with Lethal damage. Most impressively, you no longer naturally heal Aggravated damage - instead, you automatically downgrade any Aggravated damage you have suffered to Lethal at the end of any scene where you have not been killed outright.

Stripping Out The Nails
    Of course, nails can be stripped out of you. This normally requires an Exceptional Success on a Strength + Craft roll, though a normal Success will suffice if you are immobilized and the workman has an hour to work. Similarly, stripping a nail can always be chosen instead of two Moves when grappling - however, this requires that they have two Moves to spare within a single turn.

Whenever a nail is stripped from you, you immediately suffer a level of Aggravated damage and the Spiritual Leak condition. In addition, you suffer any additional effects that the specific nail placement specifies. You may cure these side effects by replacing the nail - either by placing the old nail back in the hole and healing a single level of Bashing damage, or by pouring a new batch of hot iron into the gaping hole. Otherwise, they last until major surgery or Supernatural methods are applied to their removal - Tilts ignore their normal Resolution for these purposes.

The Ears
    Placement: Placing a nail in an ear renders it entirely immune to the Deafened tilt. In addition, each ear with a nail through it increases the number of Doors needed for a Social Maneuvering attempt against you by one.
    Removal: Removing a nail from an ear inflicts the Deafened tilt on it.

The Eyes
    Placement: Placing a nail through an eye renders it entirely immune to the Blinded tilt. In addition, each eye with a nail through it grants you an additional Success on any successful Investigation roll.
    Removal: Removing a nail from an eye inflicts the Blinded tilt on it.

The Feet
    Placement: Placing a nail through a foot renders that leg entirely immune to the Leg Wrack tilt. In addition, each foot with a nail through it grants you an additional Success on any successful roll made to balance, and having a nail through each foot renders you immune to the Knocked Down tilt as well.
    Removal: Removing a nail from a foot inflicts the Leg Wrack tilt on that leg. If nails are removed from both feat, you also suffer the Knocked Down tilt.

The Hands
    Placement: Placing a nail through a hand renders that arm immune to the Arm Wrack tilt. In addition, each hand with a nail through it grants you an additional Success on any successful Brawl roll, and having a nail through each hand allows you to deal Lethal damage with Brawl attacks.
    Removal: Removing a nail from a hand inflicts the Arm Wrack tilt on that arm.

The Liver
    Placement: Placing a nail through the liver renders you immune to the Drugged and Insensate tilts. You also entirely ignore the effects of alcohol.
    Removal: Removing a nail from the liver inflicts the Drugged (Moderate) and Insensate tilts on you.

The Lungs
    Placement: Driving a nail into a lung renders you immune to the Winded tilt. If you have nails driven into both lungs, you are also immune to the Suffocating tilt.
    Removal: Removing a nail from a single lung inflicts the Winded tilt on you. Removing nails from both lungs inflicts the Suffocating (Moderate) tilt on you.

The Nape
    Placement: Driving a nail into the nape of the neck renders you immune to the Beaten Down and Insane tilts.
    Removal: Removing a nail from your nape inflicts the Insane tilt on you. In addition, you gain the Beaten Down tilt normally even when your opposition Goes For Blood.

The Solar Plexus
    Placement: Driving a nail into your solar plexus renders you immune to the Bleeding (p. 10) tilt, as well as Soul Loss.
    Removal: Removing a nail from your solar plexus inflicts the Bleeding tilt on you, increasing your permanent Wound Penalty as normal. In addition, you immediately suffer the Soulless Condition.

The Tongue
    Placement: Placing a nail through your tongue renders you immune to the Mute condition. In addition, you may drive a second nail into your tongue - each nail grants you an additional Success on any successful roll to open Doors or apply Hard Leverage.
    Removal: Removing a nail from your tongue inflicts the Mute condition on you. If both nails are removed, you also lose the ability to read and write.

Spiritual Leak [Persistent]
    The holes where your nails should be lets you leak out into the outside world. You no longer downgrade Aggravated damage to Lethal at the end of each Scene, suffer ongoing damage once your Health Levels are filled with Lethal, and must roll to stay conscious when your Health Levels are filled with Bashing.
    Causing this Condition: Have a nail stripped from your body.
    Resolution: Replace any nails that have been stripped from you.
    Beat: Fail a roll to stay conscious. Suffer damage due to having your Health Levels filled with Lethal damage.

Hammer Man (Supernatural; •••)
    Prerequisites: Mortal only
    Effects: Whenever you make a roll that benefits from a hammer's equipment or weapon bonus, you achieve an Exceptional Success with three successes rather than five. In addition, you may choose to deal no damage when driving a nail into a human body, even if the nail would normally kill or paralyze the recipient.

The Nail Stigmata (
    ••)
    Prerequisite: Mortal only
    Effects: You gain the Placement benefits of a single nail (as specified above). As long as you possess at least one instance of this merit, you gain the benefits and drawbacks of having nails driven into you or stripped out of you.
    Special: If you lose this merit while the associated nail is still in your body, you suffer one level of Aggravated damage and an appropriate tilt (or death, depending on where the nail is placed). This merit may be taken multiple times; each time, select a different body part to drive a nail into.

Starting As A Spike Man
    If a character starts as a Spike Man, they begin with 10 merit dots and two instances of The Nail Stigmata.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

This was sitting on my hard drive, collecting dust.

I leave this here without comment.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

Well, that is creepy as hell. The minimalistic presentation doesn't hurt it at all, honestly.

Comment

You know what this reminds me of? The Iron Inquisitors for Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
          You know what this reminds me of? The Iron Inquisitors for Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn.
          I would not be lying if I said they were an inspiration.

And I like minimalism - I can rely on the fact that prompting is better than directing when it comes to the imagination.

Comment

First the Invictus Devotions, now this.

A bunch of my low-end antagonists just got so much yummier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hastur00 View Post
              First the Invictus Devotions, now this.

A bunch of my low-end antagonists just got so much yummier.
              If you want nastiness, the Coil of Zirnitra is your fremb.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
                And I like minimalism - I can rely on the fact that prompting is better than directing when it comes to the imagination.
                Yes! It leaves so many wonderful unknowns for both players and storytellers to explore.

These guys are great! They're like evil, zombie John Henrys.

Simulacre: An Alternative Morality Stat for Prometheans
                Homebrew Athanors

Comment

Seriously. You have GOT to put together a Homebrew hub for yourself.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

As creepy as these guys are, I'm picturing what a spiked man with a nail through the heart and the brain would be like, although I kind of see that as being beyond pseudo-template level.

Comment

Originally posted by StSword View Post
                      As creepy as these guys are, I'm picturing what a spiked man with a nail through the heart and the brain would be like, although I kind of see that as being beyond pseudo-template level.
                      The brain is too complex for one nail. I'd have to reference some phrenology for that.

As for the heart...

The Heart
                      Placement: With a nail through the heart, you become entirely immune to the effects of having your heart pierced. In addition, replace one of your Aspirations with a Motivation, and gain the Conviction Grace.
                      Removal: Any of your Health Levels that aren't filled with Aggravated damage are filled with Lethal damage. In addition, you may not hold long-term Aspirations, and your Aspirations do not add Doors to Social Maneuvering attempts made against you.

Edit: Actually, better idea:

The Heart
                      Placement: With a nail through the heart, you become entirely immune to the effects of having your heart pierced, as well as the Swooning Condition.
                      Removal: Any of your Health Levels that aren't filled with Aggravated damage are filled with Lethal damage. In addition, you immediately gain the Swooning Condition - towards whom that template applies is up to the ST.
                      Last edited by amechra; 01-07-2016, 11:42 PM.

Comment

I like it, reminds me of the Hammer, with a bit of the Skoptsy sect.

Comment

Damn, the first thing I thought of when you said The Hammer was:

Comment

Neat, the Underburbs? I'll have to check it out.

I figure the Spike Men are usually more orderly about their nails than the Hammer I posted, but to be fair he didn't really do it to himself.

Really enjoying the new microtemplate concept, and this is definitely a good one.

Comment

Here's some more body parts:

The Forehead
                              Placement: Driving a nail through the forehead as a makeshift third eye allows you to see, hear, and taste Goetia in Twilight. In addition, you gain two additional Successes on any successful roll made to bind, ward against, or abjure Goetia.
                              Removal: Removing the nail renders you incapable of binding, warding against, or abjuring Goetia, and renders you Open to any Goetia you would normally be Resonant with.

The Groin
                              Placement: Placing a nail through your groin renders you sterile, prevents you from menstruating (if your body happens to do that), and renders you immune to anything that would use beauty or sex appeal to manipulate you, regardless of whether or not it is mundane or supernatural.
                              Removal: Removing the nail castrates you. You're still entirely sterile, and the continually bleeding wound is a major turn-off.

The Spine
                              Placement: Placing a nail at the point where your neck meets your back makes you immune to the Paralyzed and Numbed tilts.
                              Removal: Removing the nail from your spine inflicts the Paralyzed (Moderate) and Numbed tilts.

=---=

If you don't have Mage 2e, replace Goetia with Spirits for the purposes of The Forehead.

Comment

Working...
                              X