Curios, Relics and Tomes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: All sorts of Cool Ideas

Thanks Vent0 - It might take me a bit to circle back around to this project, but these are all very inspiring ideas.

RE: Milestone

With the next two Relics, it will bring the total number I have created to 150! for those that don't feel like picking over the thread for all of them, I am posting a collected volume here.
    Now to get started on the next 150...

The Naturom Demonto ●●●
    Also known as “The Book of the Dead”, this tome is a collection of prophecies, funerary rites and eldritch lore. The tome is a grisly work, with pages comprised primarily of papyrus, inked in blood, and bound in human flesh with an anguished face stretched across the cover. The text is written in an obscure Sumerian dialect, but has numerous notes and translations pinned to the pages and written in the margins. Despite its age (rumors place it at anywhere between 700 to 3000 yeas old) it is in remarkable condition, but is missing close to a dozen pages, lost over time. The Book of the Dead grants its equipment bonus to rolls to research, summon or exorcise demons or other ephemeral entities related to death, corruption or sin. If the reader does not read Sumerian, the equipment bonus is only +1.

Equipment Bonus: +3 Size: 1 Durability: 1(4) Availability: 4

Powers
    Durable: While not completely indestructible, the Book of the Dead is immune to dame from heat or flame and greatly resistant to degradation caused by exposure to the elements and the passage of time.
    Eldritch Insight: Reading the Book of the Dead grants the user great insights into occult matters; after reading the text for at least an hour, the user may spend a point of Willpower to gain the Informed Condition for one of the following topics; Ancient Cults, Dark Spirits, or Exorcism.
    Prophecy: The book contains cryptic passages about apocalyptic events in the past, present, and future. Once per chapter, after reading the Book for at least an hour, and making a successful Intelligence +(Academics or Occult) roll, the reader can ask the Storyteller one question per success pertaining to future or current events, receiving answers of “Yes,” “No,” or “Irrelevant.”

Drawback
    Call Forth the Dark Ones: The Book of the Dead compels the reader to find the most dangerous passages and incantations. When spoken aloud, the words summon a potent, evil presence. Unlike many such summoning rites, this one takes no particular skill to invoke, and can even be done accidentally. If the book is read for at least an hour, the reader must make a successful Resolve+Composure roll to resist muttering the incantation. On a failure, a Lesser Dark One is summoned, on a Dramatic failure a Greater Dark One is summoned. These entities delight in tormenting the living, preferring to possess living or dead hosts and committing acts or murder, terror and mayhem until banished or destroyed.
    Resonance: The Book of the Dead carries the Resonant (Death, Evil) Condition.

The spirits the book can call forth are listed below;
    Dark One (Lesser): Rank 2; Influence (Death); Numina: Awe, Hallucination, Host Jump, Soul Thief (as the Dread Power)
    Dark One (Greater): Rank 4; Influence (Death, Evil); Numina: Awe, Dement, Hallucination, Host Jump, Regenerate, Soul Thief (as the Dread Power), Telekinesis

The Obscene Idol ●●●
    The object dubbed “the Obscene Idol” was discovered by a united states survey team in the mid 1950’s on an otherwise deserted island in the south pacific while scouting for locations to conduct atomic weapons testing. The idol is a 20lbs hunk of verdigris covered copper in the shape of a hideous, tentacled, primitive god. The item seems to carry some lingering malignancy, with madness and tragedy befalling any that spend too much time in its presence. The item is currently stored in a lead-lined crate at the Jeffersonian Museum in Washington DC.

Size: 2 Durability: 2(6) Availability: 4

Powers
    Indestructible: The Idol, despite numerous attempts, seems immune to permanent harm, and regenerates a point of Structure every night even if it's been destroyed previously.
    Rend Sanity: Anyone holding the Idol can focus its power against a chosen victim. By expending 3 Willpower and making a Presence+Occult roll contested by the victim’s Composure +Supernatural Tolerance, the Idol may inflict one of the following Conditions on the victim: Broken, Fugue, or Madness. Using Rend Sanity is a Breaking Point.

Drawback
    Maddening Aura: Time spent in proximity to the Idol wears away at the mind. Any Breaking Point rolls made 12 yards of the Idol suffer a -2 penalty.
    Last edited by Reighnhell; 03-18-2018, 01:14 AM.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
    The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
    Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
    Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
      With the next two Relics, it will bring the total number I have created to 150! for those that that feel like picking over the thread for all of them, I am posting a collected volume here.

Wow that's sweet, well done! I love the cover and background, great touches.

Comment

Nice work on the PDF. It does have a few typos and errors, and not all of the ephemeral entities have manifestations listed, but looks solid otherwise.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

And this is why we need a Storyteller's Vault equivalent.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

RE: Curios,Relics and Tomes PDF

I gave it a once over to try to spot the most glaring typos before posting. Otherwise I would keep fiddling with the document . That being said, I will likely update it some point down the line (I am still undecided on how detailed to make the ephemeral entity write ups, some have longer stat blocks, others use a shorter block). But the current document should prove usable. If even one of these relics shows up in someones game, I will consider it mission accomplished!

Comment

Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
              RE: Curios,Relics and Tomes PDF

I gave it a once over to try to spot the most glaring typos before posting. Otherwise I would keep fiddling with the document . That being said, I will likely update it some point down the line (I am still undecided on how detailed to make the ephemeral entity write ups, some have longer stat blocks, others use a shorter block). But the current document should prove usable. If even one of these relics shows up in someones game, I will consider it mission accomplished!
              Consider it accomplished, then.

If you want, I (or others) could do an editing pass and point out anything we spot. More eyes catch more typos. (Now if we had some sentient spiders...)

Combo Idea: A Relic that can transform someone into an anthropomorphic spider. Go, go friendly neighborhood Man-Spider! Relic + Horror write-up.
              EDIT: Alternatively, it just summons such a Horror.
              Last edited by Vent0; 03-10-2018, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Cain's Sickle
                The sickle covered with the blood which cries out unto the Lord, it is The First Murder Weapon.
                This hand sickle is ancient, fashioned from a napped stone blade affixed perpendicular to the wooden handle by being snugly slid through a hole that goes through the handle and the handle bulge out at the back of the blade to give the stone cutting edge support as it would be drawn toward user as they harvested. Close examination shows small dried flecks of what appears to be blood in the small recesses of the naps that make up the blade's edge and staining the wood. No amount of cleaning can remove that blood permanently, as it seems to be part of the sickle's nature.

Indestructible: The Sickle, despite numerous attempts, seems immune to permanent harm, and regenerates a point of Structure every night even if it's been destroyed previously.
                Weapon of Mutual Damnation: If used by a human without a major template to successfully murder another human without a major template, the victim will rise a Revenant the following night with Blood Sympathies of one step other Revenants created by the Murderer. If a Revenant created by this murderer has yet persists without finding rest in Final Death at the time of the Death of the Murderer, and the Murderer was still without Major Template at the time of their death, the Murderer also rises as a Revenant and gains a single step Blood Sympathy from each of his Revenant victims.

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Consider it accomplished, then.

If you want, I (or others) could do an editing pass and point out anything we spot. More eyes catch more typos. (Now if we had some sentient spiders...)

Combo Idea: A Relic that can transform someone into an anthropomorphic spider. Go, go friendly neighborhood Man-Spider! Relic + Horror write-up.
                Sounds like great fun!

Also about the second idea: I have some rules I use for creating minor templates based of Potency 1 Horror power level being added to an existing character so here is me using your idea for that.

Anansi's Fangs
                These daggers are made from meteoric-iron as two long slightly twisted tapered piercing skewers are etched with decorations at the base to make them resemble furry spider mandibles, and the handle itself is always some otherworldly 'ivory' carved with Anansi's stylized icon, which if analyzed with the appropriate tests it would revealed to be an extremely exotic unknown type of smooth white chitin instead of enamel. It is rumored that there are many of these daggers hidden by cultists around the world.
                Bite of the Spider-God: May be used to stab self in heart for no damage or ill affect during the successful ritual to gain the Ananse minor template.
                Taste of Wisdom: May pierce a willingly offered hand for a single bashing damage, and the dagger drain a single Specialization chosen by the stabber from that person who was stabbed, whom in exchange gains in the Specialization that was held by the dagger at the time.
                A Token of Wisdom: The carrier whom has the dagger on their person gains the benefit of the Specialization it is currently holding.

Ananse
                The Bite of Anansi's Fangs transforms people into an immortal anthropomorphic spider tricksters. A trite simplification, but fundamentally and terrifyingly true. You become a bipedal human-sized spider, capable with effort of contorting your flesh, organs, bristling hairs, and soft chitin to disguising yourself as you roughly looked like your mortal self.
                Becoming a Ananse:
                The aspiring Ananse must drive the relic Anansi's Fang fatally into their own heart during the transformation ceremony. The Ananse-to-be (which uses the equipment building rules page CoD 100, Resolve + Occult if the crafting or performing of the transformation ritual is done under pressure in downtime) must craft and perform ritual appealing to the god Anansi to become a spider trickster demigod. At the moment of their suicidal transformation, the Ananse-to-be spends a Willpower Dot and immediately loses a Dot of their Stability Advantage (Integrity for mortals) as their body horrifically wrenches and snapping itself in a painfully transformation into a bipedal human-sized spider. If they must roll and then fail, or don't have Willpower and Stability Advantage to loss they instead simply die.
                The mechanical prerequisites to become a Ananse vary in the following ways
                They standardly require a Social Merit representing the relationship to the person who is already a Ananse which is instructing the character in how to become a Ananse (even if the Ananse is another Player Character or Support, though this is often done as a Mentor relationship, there is flexibility in which social merit is most appropriate), Occult 3 and a Skill Specialization Western African Mysticism. Someone who has no relationship to guide them may still stumble across the methods of becoming a Ananse but require Occult 4 and a Skill Specialization Western African Mysticism.
                Tags Gained: Shapeshifter, Vampire
                Sanguine Will: May spend Vitae instead of Willpower to use Dread Powers, and may spend Willpower instead of Vitae when called for in Disciplines. This does not grant a Vitae Pool, which must be acquired from another source for this to be applicable for the character.
                Potency: The character gains one dot of Potency as if he were a Horror, this affect Willpower Capacity, and Supernatural Tolerance. For those with a Major Template the Supernatural Tolerance does stack with that granted by the Major Template’s Power Stat.
                Feeds upon Chaos: Every month a Ananse goes without fulfilling their Appetite they lose access to a Willpower Dot, but upon fulfilling the Ananse’s Appetite he regains access to all the Willpower Dots they lost access to, in the state they were lost in (filled with Willpower Points or empty). Ananse also gain Willpower points by fulfilling their Appetite. Unlike Aspirations, Appetite does not grant Beats.
                Appetite: Inflict Lost, Leveraged, Inspired, Guilty or Broken condition upon a stranger at night.
                Ban: Subject to Abjuration and Warding/Binding, using Presence + Composure instead of Power + Resistance if it is done incorporating West African mysticism. May only drink liquids, instead of eating solids while in true form.
                Bane: Fire
                Dread Powers:
                Tricksters Never Really Die:The creature isn’t bound by mortal laws of life and death, as it has transformed itself into a legendary being. It’s not indestructible, per se, but if it’s killed by anything other than its Bane, it just comes back in a later scene like nothing happened. Even if it’s destroyed with its Bane, it’s never really gone — a accursed ritual using and Anansi's Fang invoking the killed Ananse's name while completely bleeding out a human-sized or larger mammal of all its blood, during a thunderstorm can always bring the creature back for a sequel story. At the climax of the ritual the resurrected Ananse emerges from the pool blood. The Ananse resurrected because they were slain with their bane gain the Obsession (Repay Being Which Resurrected Me) and Leveraged (The being which resurrected them)Conditions upon being coming back to life.
                Body of a Giant Spider: While in its true form the creature can walk up walls or even cling to the ceiling, and can move its full Speed while doing so.
                Human Facade: This Dread Power disguises a Ananse as a human as they were before taking this Template. Using the Dread Power costs 1 Willpower, and the human facade seeming lasts the power is deactivated, by the Ananse, by someone countering this dread power, or by the Ananse's death. The human “costume” is flawed — witnesses may make a Wits + Composure roll penalized by the Ananse’s Stamina or Dexterity (which ever is lower) to realize that something is wrong. While in this Facade the character has access to all their normal stats.
                Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 03-10-2018, 03:01 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Re: Anansi's Fangs

I was working on a very similar themed item in line with Vent0 's idea, but got stuck on the best way to approach the "transforming into a Horror"mechanic. Your template mechanics resolve that question nicely! So much I may have to start toying with Template Design as one of my (way too many) projects.

Comment

I think I have an idea that could be a fun for this thread a object that could turn you into a slasher indefinitely requiring at least a short game session to cure it

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierrew View Post
                      I think I have an idea that could be a fun for this thread a object that could turn you into a slasher indefinitely requiring at least a short game session to cure it
                      Like a Cursed Murder Knife? You go Full Slasher while you have it, and refuse to put it down.

Curse could be either straight Relic Powers, or a Fettered Ghost. Ghost offers the option to Exorcise it, Relic Powers removes that option.

Comment

• There's a nice one in Armory Reloaded, I think, tied to the Thuggee.

Comment

• Re: Slasher Weapon

Thus far, I tend to avoid Relics that effectively apply a template - mainly because a template (even a relatively simple Template like Slasher) have tons of added mechanics that someone looking to use the Relic may or may not have access to. That being said, having a Relic compel murderous, slasher-like behavior is relatively simple to set up. Example below. (and the first Relic of volume 2)

Griswold’s Knife ●●
                          This blade was recovered from the personal items of a suspected serial murderer named Linus Griswold. It is a sturdy hunting knife with a handle carved from deer horn. In 1978 authorities discovered several bodies in the backyard of Griswold’s property in Alberta, Canada while investigating reports that Linus Griswold himself had vanished under mysterious circumstances. The case generated some interest in the tabloids and a brief manhunt for Griswold, who was never found. The knife disappeared from police possession, only to appear as an item of interest in a different murder case several years later, where it again vanished. Its current whereabouts are unknown.

Damage: +1 Initiative: -1 Strength: 1 Size: 2 Durability: 2(4) Tags: Enhance Survival +1, Piercing 1 Availability: 2

Powers
                          Damage dealt by the Griswold’s Knife is considered supernatural damage.
                          Bleeding Cut: Once per scene, the wielder of the Cleaver can apply the Bleeding Tilt when they damage their victim with an attack.
                          Craftsmanship: Griswold’s Knife is of exceptional quality, reflected in its statistic. The balance and honed edge of the blade grant the weapon the Piercing 1 tag, and a +1 equipment bonus to its attacks.

Drawback
                          Violent Compulsion: If the wielder of the knife draws human blood with the weapon, they will start to suffers the Deprived Condition if they do not use Griswold’s Knife to severely injure or kill another person every [Integrity] days.
                          Troublemaker: Griswold’s Knife has the Troublemaker Condition.

Troublemaker
                          The equipment with this condition always seems to turn-up where it can cause the most trouble. Once per chapter, the Storyteller may place this object into a scene with a character that has made a Breaking Point roll for acting in accordance with their Vice. If the character takes possession of the object, they gain a +2 bonus to Breaking Points caused by acting in accordance with their Vice for as long as they possess the object. However, such objects are fickle and can vanish just as mysteriously as it arrived. The Troublemaker disappears the next time its possessor leaves it unattended.
                          Resolution: When the Troublemaker leaves its owners possession, voluntarily or otherwise.

Last edited by Reighnhell; 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for the relic. I am gonna throw quite a curveball in the next game session

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                              There's a nice one in Armory Reloaded, I think, tied to the Thuggee.

I made a Thuggee Minor Template (and I base my minor templates on potency 1 Horrors).

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
                              Thuggee
                              Some view death with a mindless fear which robs them of reason to the point they can't contemplate the topic in any meaningful way, others take it as a natural part of the cycle of existence, and yet others see it not as something profanely frightful nor even banally normal but as something that is preternaturally sacred. Those that become Thuggee are always of this third group. Death has the power to make the world a better place, it can be sweet and merciful, and it can be righteous and just. Thuggee deal in these types of death, and more importantly the type of death they deal is more final and absolute cessation of existence than mere mundane death, this sacred murder allows them to give life to those they deem worthy.
                              Becoming a Thuggee:
                              A Thuggee requires a scarf they have devoutly prayed over for the strength to end a wicked person who has committed Atrocities and has no more than 1 Stability Advantage, whom they will murder with said scarf. The Thuggee-to-be (which uses the equipment building rules page CoD 100, Resolve + Weaponry if the crafting is done under pressure in downtime) must kill the person using the scarf to strangle and inflict the damage. After the end of the confrontation the Thuggee-to-be spends a Willpower Dot to dedicate themselves the ending of that person's life and immediately loses a Dot of their Stability Advantage as their devotion consumes a little bit of their ability to form attachments.
                              The mechanical prerequisites to become a Thuggee vary in the following ways
                              They standardly require a Social Merit representing the relationship to the person who is already a Thuggee which is instructing the character in how to become a Thuggee (even if the Thuggee is another Player Character or Support, though this is often done as a Mentor relationship, there is flexibility in which social merit is most appropriate), Weaponry 3 and a Skill Specialization Silk Scarves. Someone who has no relationship to guide them may still stumble across the methods of becoming a Thuggee but require Weaponry 4 and a Skill Specialization Silk Scarves.
                              Tags Gained: Faithful
                              Willful Plasm: May spend Plasm instead of Willpower to use Dread Powers, and may spend Willpower instead of Plasm when called for in POWERS. This does not grant a Plasm Pool, which must be acquired from another source for this to be applicable for the character.
                              Potency: The character gains one dot of Potency as if he were a Horror, this affect Willpower Capacity, and Supernatural Tolerance. For those with a Major Template the Supernatural Tolerance does stack with that granted by the Major Template’s Power Stat.
                              Hand of Judgment: Every month a Thuggee goes without fulfilling their Appetite they lose access to a Willpower Dot, but upon fulfilling the Thuggee’s Appetite he regains access to all the Willpower Dots they lost access to, in the state they were lost in (filled with Willpower Points or empty). Thuggee also gain Willpower points by fulfilling their Appetite. Unlike Aspirations, Appetite does not grant Beats.
                              Appetite: Use the Sacred Murder Dread Power
                              Bane: Dying after becoming a Thuggee and coming back from the dead.
                              Dread Powers:
                              Judge Worth: The Thuggee can sense if others they can observe are moral. By spending 1 Willpower, he automatically learns the victim’s Virtue, Vice, Aspirations, Permanent Atrocity and current Stability Advantage and Temporary Atrocity. By spending an additional Willpower point, he learns the circumstances of the character’s most recent Atrocity. Subsequent Willpower points reveal older Atrocities. If the Thuggee uses his knowledge against the victim, it earns an exceptional success on a roll of three successes or more. By use of this Dread Power on the records about a subject, a Thuggee can tell if they are alive or dead, and if dead if they qualify for Resurrection of the Righteous Dread Power.
                              Sacred Murder: By having a scarf wrapped around the throat of a Slasher, or Ensouled being with only 1 Stability Advantage and Atrocity of either type, which in combat requires an Grapple overpower maneuver to place, the Thuggee may spend 3 Willpower and roll a Weaponry + Strength roll contested by the victim’s Resolve. If the thuggee succeeds, it steals the victim’s soul and seals its fate, inflicting the Soulless and Obliterated Condition. The soul is contained in the scarf, and may be used by any being capable of using Souls by handling the scarf. The victim may reclaim their Soul by destroying the scarf which contains their specific Soul but this does not affect the Obliterated Condition.
                              Resurrection of the Righteous: This Dread Power literally raises the dead. The Dread Power costs 7 Souls to use, and may be used from any object which holds a Soul. It Dread Power only works on those which had no permanent Atrocity, had a Stability Advantage of 8 or higher, and had the Virtuous Merit. The activation roll of Composure + Weaponry as the items are gently draped over a still born infant less than a day old. As the process is successful the infant comes alive and physically transforms into the person being resurrected as they were when they were 7 years old, Gaining the Physically a Child, and Social a Child Persistent Conditions, but remembers everything before their death and only gain Mentally a Child Condition if they also had that at the time of their Death (because of dementia, actually being child, or ect...). Supernatural beings lose their powers when resurrected, becoming a Non-Template.

Storyteller's note: Please consider many famous long dead Virtuous people are likely alive and well, already brought by by a Thuggee, as the availability of greater and lesser Slashers for them to hunt is at an all time high,
                              Their scarves hold the souls of the victim, and thus could be considered curios in their own right.

Edit: Oh, I notice I still have the place holder POWERS, but we now know Sin- Eater's supernatural abilities will be cause Haunts,I should fix that in the original post.
                              Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 03-14-2018, 10:25 AM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                              "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

• here are few new ones for today.
                                The Amaranth Cameo ●●●
                                The “Amaranth Cameo” is an exquisitely carved cameo pendant, carved of layered agate, and set in silver. The carving depicts a young woman bearing an amaranth flower – long associated with immortality. The exact origins of the cameo remain unknown, but most reliable antiquarians trace it to Renaissance Era France. The item currently resides in a private collection in New York, kept more for its beauty than for its more significant capabilities.

Size: 0 Durability: 2(5) Availability: 4

Powers
                                Endless Vitality: The Amaranth Cameo bestows vigor and beauty upon the wearer. For as long as it is worn, the pendant retards and in some ways counters aging, restoring tone to the skin and muscle, color to the hair, and strength to the bones. The wearer only ages only three months for every year that passes. In addition, the wearer divides three dots of Merits between Hardy, Iron Stamina and Striking Looks. Lastly, all healing times are halved.

Drawback
                                Precious: Anyone that gazes upon the pendant can tell its value, and some will use any means at their disposal to acquire it. The Amaranth Cameo has the Coveted Condition. In addition, if the item is lost, stolen, or given away, the previous owner gains the Obsession (Amaranth Cameo) Condition until it is returned to them.

The Scarab of Life ●●●●
                                This Egyptian artifact is funerary scarab is carved from a dark stone and polished to a high shine. The item is suspected to have been stolen from a tomb in the Valley of Kings in the early 1930’s, so much of its true history has been lost. The Scarab has moved through the hands of several private collectors over the years, and the Egyptian government is offering a handsome reward for its return. The Scarab of Life grants its equipment bonus to rolls to resist or recover from disease and poison.

Equipment Bonus: +1 Size: 0 Durability: 2(6) Availability: 4

Powers
                                Rebirth: The Scarab has the miraculous power to restore the recently deceased back to life and health. By spending three points of Willpower and making a successful Presence+Occult roll, the user whispers a prayer to Osiris to the Scarab and places it in the mouth of the deceased. Within moments, the deceased snaps back to life, with their injuries healed and sicknesses purged. The Scarab is regurgitated a few minutes afterwards. While potent, the power of the Scarab has limits. It only works from the time of death to the next sunset, after that the deceased will remain so. In addition, the corpse must be mostly intact (neither cremated or dismembered). The power is limited to mortal humans, being completely ineffective on supernatural beings. And finally, an individual can only be revived by the Scarab once, any future attempts fail automatically.

Drawback
                                Resurrection Trauma: Those returned from death are often marked by the experience. Wounds that have been healed leave livid scars, cured diseases and poisonings leave phantom symptoms, and the entire experience is a Breaking Point with a -4 penalty, with a failure applying the Soul Shocked Condition in addition to any other consequences.

Comment

Working...
                                X