No announcement yet.

Curios, Relics and Tomes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really like this thread. I also like the other three. Have you checked out the Book of Contemporary Magical Things? Or the new, and equally rad, Book of Contemporary Magical Places? Like, it fits a Mortal game perfectly.

Comment

• Reighnhell I have a quick question regarding relics that use Integrity, particularly the Silver Chalice - how would you rule they interact with un-Integritylike morality stats, in particular Cover? Would a demon just not have to deal with the Deprived condition or...?

Comment

• It's been a while since I've made any updates here, but I'm glad to answer your question!

RE: Integrity and Supernatural Creatures

In certain cases, the power and drawbacks of a Relic are tied to the users (or the targets) Integrity. But from time to time, a relic falls into the hands of someone or something that is not explicitly mortal. Many such relics cannot be used by such beings, but for those that do not have that limitation, use the following guidelines.

Vampire: A Vampire’s Humanity is analogous to a mortal’s Integrity and would be used in a similar fashion in most instances.

Werewolf: A Werewolve’s Harmony represents their current spiritual state, and is at its strongest when balanced. For game mechanics purposes, a Werewolf with Harmony 5 is equivalent to Integrity 8, with each point above or below Harmony 5 reducing this score by one.

Mage: A Mage’s Wisdom is analogous to a mortal’s Integrity and would be used in a similar fashion in most instances.

Changeling: A Changeling’s Clarity can fluctuate wildly as they struggle with their perception of reality. A Changeling’s Clarity score, modified by any penalties from Clarity damage, becomes their equivalent Integrity.

Promethean: The Promethean’s Pilgrimage strives to achieve the mortality others shun or take for granted, but it is a difficult road. The Promethean’s current Pilgrimage score is equivalent to a mortal’s Integrity.

Hunter: Hunter’s use Integrity and are considered mortal, and may use relics that supernatural beings cannot.

Sin-Eaters (the Bound): The Bound do not have an Integrity analog, and rely upon their Synergy when interacting with relics. The Bounds’s Synergy is equivalent to a mortal’s Integrity, except when using a relic strongly related to death, ghosts, the underworld and similar concepts. In these instances the Sin-Eater has an equivalent Integrity of 8 unless their Synergy is higher, in which case they may use that score instead.

Mummy: The Arisen are masters of Relics. A Mummy is treated as having an Integrity of 8 when dealing with relics. If their Sekhem or Memory is higher, they may use that score instead.

Demon: A Demon can subtly alter how they interact with relics. The Demon may choose what their equivalent Integrity is when using a Relic (to a maximum of their Cover).

Beast: The Begotten’s Satiety governs how they relate to Relics. The Beast’s current Satiety score is equivalent to a mortal’s Integrity.

Deviant: A Remade’s connection to their humanity falters as the grow more unstable. A Deviant’s Stability rating, modified by any with Instability penalties, becomes their equivalent Integrity. A Deviant with the End Stage Condition is equivalent to Integrity 0.

Ephemeral Entities: Ephemeral beings (assuming they can use a relic at all) use their Rank as an Integrity equivalent. For ephemeral entities that retain their Integrity (such as Ghosts) they may use that score instead if higher.
        Last edited by Reighnhell; 12-05-2019, 08:58 PM. Reason: suggested revisions

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
        The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
        Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
        Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

• Thanks for the clarification! I presume that if something would be a Breaking Point for a being with Integrity you just judge the act against their morality stat? E.g. using something magical wouldn't be a Compromise for a demon unless it doesn't agree with their Cover, while killing someone to use a relic would probably be a sin against Wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
            The Bounds’s Synergy is equivalent to a mortal’s Integrity, except when using a relic strongly related to death, ghosts, the underworld and similar concepts. In these instances the Sin-Eater has an equivalent Integrity of 8.
            Shouldn't it be the higher of 8 and their Synergy, like how you wrote Arisen?

Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
            Deviant: A Remade’s connection to their humanity falters as the grow more unstable. A Deviant with no Instabilities is equivalent to Integrity 8. Each Instability (minor, medium or major) reduces this score by one (to a minimum equivalent of Integrity 1).
            I would just take their Stability rating modified by their Instability penalty. It'd put the average Integrity lower than your suggestion which I find is more appropriate for Deviants. Also, the End Stage Condition should probably set it to 0 until resolved.

Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
            Ephemeral Entities: Ephemeral beings (assuming they can use a relic at all) use their Rank as an Integrity equivalent.
            What about those ephemeral entities that has Integrity?

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Re: Revisions

Tessie - these are good suggestions, and I have updated accordingly.

Re: Breaking Points

I would judge potential braking points on a case by case basis, observing a general rule that if something isn't a breaking point for the character normally, then it wouldn't be a breaking point when a Relic is used.
              ex. If a Relic calls for drinking human blood. This would be a breaking point for the majority of mortals, but for a Vampire its a slow monday, so I wouldn't call for a breaking point/degeneration roll.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
              The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
              Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
              Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Working...
              X