DarkFrame, a Far Future Crossover Setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Almarck View Post

I approve. Uh, I'm actually not too sure of how I treat Mages.
    My default idea was that like everyone else, the Orokin hunted them down and had the means to do so, but I don't know if that's actually feasible without making a scene or a plot hole (since mages are quite powerful and aren't threated by say modern humans). Then again, we could honestly say that the Orokin had technology that let them do that whereas other periods of human history would have lacked the means (by which I mean, extending Power Nullifiers to also include Spells, Gifts, and Disciplines ect)

Do you have recommendations?

Well, biologically Mages are completely identical to baseline humans, and making a mass purge of mages involves messing with people who know people who know people who know people who know Archmasters. And I mean, technically Archmasters are neutral, but well, the Tetrarchs are still with the Seers, and you can kinda see where this is going.

Mages are a bit weird, but one of the first ideas that I got, which admittedly was rather crazy was to make the Orokin into Magi themselves. Perhaps there is a sixth Watchtower deep in the Void, perhaps a bunch of Seers, Pentacle and Orderless realized that the cold war between the Orders wasn't going to stop unless someone did something, and then one day the Orokin Mages stepped forth from the shadows to finally do something about shit.

Or not, I don't know.

Holy shit I'm tired right now, I'll write back tomorrow when I'm less tired.

"There is a remedy for everything but death, a hope for everything but wickedness, and everything will lapse except righteousness."

Comment

Originally posted by ManusDomine View Post

Well, biologically Mages are completely identical to baseline humans, and making a mass purge of mages involves messing with people who know people who know people who know people who know Archmasters. And I mean, technically Archmasters are neutral, but well, the Tetrarchs are still with the Seers, and you can kinda see where this is going.

Mages are a bit weird, but one of the first ideas that I got, which admittedly was rather crazy was to make the Orokin into Magi themselves. Perhaps there is a sixth Watchtower deep in the Void, perhaps a bunch of Seers, Pentacle and Orderless realized that the cold war between the Orders wasn't going to stop unless someone did something, and then one day the Orokin Mages stepped forth from the shadows to finally do something about shit.

Or not, I don't know.

Holy shit I'm tired right now, I'll write back tomorrow when I'm less tired.

Making the Orokin into Magi themselves would have defeated the point of creating the Tenno in the first place, since they would have been able to defeat the Sentients... And their point is that they were weak to supernatural powers due to an engineered weakness. I guess we can then say that Void powers are what they're specifically weak too... but then we go back to the Abyss comparisons. (Then again the Orokin colonized the Void)

I also want to avoid making the setting too centric over a single splat, because I don't want to play favorites to anyone. Of all the splats, werewolf is my favorite for instance, but I'm not going to give them triple the content and a role in the backstory that puts them above all the rest. If I were to make the Orokin into mages and throw in Archmasters... I feel I would be compromising the idea of being fair here. Think about it: the Orokin are mages and everyone else isn't given a similar shake. This is why I've taken the canonical Orokin distrust of the Void touched Tenno and extended it to anything that's supernatural.

Also, it might just be my bias here, but I am not a fan of Archmasters; they break settings that don't explicitly account for reality warping on the retrocasual history scale which is pretty much most anything that doesn't involve high levels of time travel or universal junk. I can fit the God Machine just fine because its goals are so inscrutable and dead set on maintaining the current state of afairs and it's completely neccesary for Demons to exist, but I do not feel I can do that to Archmages. I mean, I could probably put them in, but I'd need a suitable handwave to prevent them from retconning the setting without making the Orokin into mages. I don't know: God Machine did it? Invent a new Patron? Say that the Orokin despite not being mages have somehow managed to prevent Imperial Awakened Magic from overruling their existance?

At the same time, I don't know if that's the right call. Or if I am too blinded.
      Last edited by Almarck; 01-23-2016, 01:35 AM.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
      DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
      Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Honestly, I think humanity living longer would mean more people would want immortality, not less.

The more alien death is to you, the more you fear it.

Folks who don't expect to make it past 30 aren't the ones who go looking for immortality

Comment

Making the Orokin into Magi themselves would have defeated the point of creating the Tenno in the first place, since they would have been able to defeat the Sentients... And their point is that they were weak to supernatural powers due to an engineered weakness. I guess we can then say that Void powers are what they're specifically weak too... but then we go back to the Abyss comparisons. (Then again the Orokin colonized the Void)

I also want to avoid making the setting too centric over a single splat, because I don't want to play favorites to anyone. Of all the splats, werewolf is my favorite for instance, but I'm not going to give them triple the content and a role in the backstory that puts them above all the rest. If I were to make the Orokin into mages and throw in Archmasters... I feel I would be compromising the idea of being fair here. Think about it: the Orokin are mages and everyone else isn't given a similar shake. This is why I've taken the canonical Orokin distrust of the Void touched Tenno and extended it to anything that's supernatural.

Also, it might just be my bias here, but I am not a fan of Archmasters; they break settings that don't explicitly account for reality warping on the retrocasual history scale which is pretty much most anything that doesn't involve high levels of time travel or universal junk. I can fit the God Machine just fine because its goals are so inscrutable and dead set on maintaining the current state of afairs and it's completely neccesary for Demons to exist, but I do not feel I can do that to Archmages. I mean, I could probably put them in, but I'd need a suitable handwave to prevent them from retconning the setting without making the Orokin into mages. I don't know: God Machine did it? Invent a new Patron? Say that the Orokin despite not being mages have somehow managed to prevent Imperial Awakened Magic from overruling their existance?

At the same time, I don't know if that's the right call. Or if I am too blinded.
          Perhaps just ignore Mages, they are very powerful and very versatile, making them hard to mess around with.

And even ignoring Archmasters, you'd have Master Mages casually making immortality with no issues and murdering dudes with a snap of their fingers.

"There is a remedy for everything but death, a hope for everything but wickedness, and everything will lapse except righteousness."

Comment

Originally posted by StSword View Post
            Honestly, I think humanity living longer would mean more people would want immortality, not less.

The more alien death is to you, the more you fear it.

Folks who don't expect to make it past 30 aren't the ones who go looking for immortality

They don't have immortality to my knowledge. They seem to have massively slowed down aging instead. Tenshin, the PvP NPC director, is implied to have been around since the Old War and he's noticably older looking than any other NPC in the game which puts his age somewhere around 1000. Most likely more if he was a War Vet.

That plus, the state of the Origin System is such that you're likely to have other things on your mind than dying of old age within the next hundreds of years. Death is kinda hard to avoid in the Origin system when every given planet has frequent skirmishes in orbit.

DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
            Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by ManusDomine View Post

Perhaps just ignore Mages, they are very powerful and very versatile, making them hard to mess around with.

And even ignoring Archmasters, you'd have Master Mages casually making immortality with no issues and murdering dudes with a snap of their fingers.
              I want to include Mages though. Also an issue of fairness since I want to cover every line somehow.

In any case, I don't think either of those things are... all that game breaking as you'd think as they would be in other settings. Consider, people live for centuries or in one instance a millenium and we're kinda sure there's no real strings attached to this long life expectency on a massive scale. And killing with a snap of your fingers is what Tenno do, only instead they can clear out dozens of soldiers every time they do it. Well, it's not instant death and the damage is more "conventional" than reality warping, but the point still stands is that killing lots of soldiers isn't good enough; not in a setting where rapidly replacing soldiers is easy.

Honestly, in order for them to feel like an OCP, they've got to do stuff like constantly be destroying multikilometer ships by themselves.
              And of course there'd have to be lots and lots of masters.

Suppose that due to kullings, there's about as many Masters as there are in the current day within DarkFrame, for example. How much damage could they do?

Another issue I've been wondering about is how I treat the setting's Antimagic. One of the gimmicks of the Corpus faction is that they consistently deploy special shield equipped troops called Nullifiers. These sheilds are gigantic AoE bubbles that absorb damage and prevent Tenno powers from working at all within them and from what I understand are based off of Orokin experiments of Void energy. How do you feel about these affecting other supernatural powers? The shields also take damage when exposed to offensive powers, so they can be overwhelmed eventually.
              Last edited by Almarck; 01-23-2016, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Ideas based on what i know of the Lines. Demons enginneered the Fall of the Orokin, with the intent of Destroying the Largest project the God-Machine had set-up (The Lotus is a Great Demon in my eyes) the Sentients are GM-Angels.

The Orokin empire was the largest project that the God Machine had started and was close to succeeding, Building Both an Infrastructure too allow it to expand out of the Origin System and also destroy those that could stop it (Humans had gotten pretty annoying, it might have needed them for awhile.. but the Sentient are better servants/Proxies.) The GM is gone from the Origin System in most forms, but is returning with the Sentient.

The Corpus are a Cult of a Mummy that worships Profit as an incarnation of the Mummy.
                Mummies themselves may have other servants that are useful, Cephalons, Great as monitors and record keepers that can watch over multiple holy sites and preform the Ritual of Awakening (Or atleast get it started as needed) the Mummies as needed.

The Tenno themselves are... Mages that have been warped by direct exposure to the Void, the older you where when exposed the less your body could handle it, the higher the chance you... Dissolved into the Void, The Children adapted the quickest and easiest. But their bodies are adapted to the Void now and so have issues with channeling their powers in the Normal world.

The Warframes are Golems designed and used for channeling the powers safely AWAY from the Body of the Tenno, they are inert normally and grow/learn/adapt slowly with use. After enough use they develop a protective bond with their Tenno and cannot be bonded with another Tenno, at this point they develop somewhat of a personality of their own and can operate Independently for short periods of time. (Really short and usually only when needing to protect the Tenno).

The First Dream/Second Dream are an Astral plane that allows the Tenno to Focus on the Warframe and keep it running easier, although a skilled enough Tenno will be able to do it from specially prepared chamber/chair/room/site to allow "Transference" into the Warframe, they can also control the Warframes directly by touching them and can channel their powers Directly if needed however this is dangerous and will lead to them causing harm to themselves.

Beasts could develop a Kinship with both the Tenno and the Warframes independently. Warframes cannot be feed from by Vampires as their blood is not Nourishing.

The Technocyte Virus/Infestation is a dangerous experiment from before the Orokin times, and the origin of much of the technologies of the Orokin in some ways.

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by RickmanUK View Post
                  Ideas based on what i know of the Lines. Demons enginneered the Fall of the Orokin, with the intent of Destroying the Largest project the God-Machine had set-up (The Lotus is a Great Demon in my eyes) the Sentients are GM-Angels.

The Orokin empire was the largest project that the God Machine had started and was close to succeeding, Building Both an Infrastructure too allow it to expand out of the Origin System and also destroy those that could stop it (Humans had gotten pretty annoying, it might have needed them for awhile.. but the Sentient are better servants/Proxies.) The GM is gone from the Origin System in most forms, but is returning with the Sentient.

The Corpus are a Cult of a Mummy that worships Profit as an incarnation of the Mummy.
                  Mummies themselves may have other servants that are useful, Cephalons, Great as monitors and record keepers that can watch over multiple holy sites and preform the Ritual of Awakening (Or atleast get it started as needed) the Mummies as needed.

The Tenno themselves are... Mages that have been warped by direct exposure to the Void, the older you where when exposed the less your body could handle it, the higher the chance you... Dissolved into the Void, The Children adapted the quickest and easiest. But their bodies are adapted to the Void now and so have issues with channeling their powers in the Normal world.

The Warframes are Golems designed and used for channeling the powers safely AWAY from the Body of the Tenno, they are inert normally and grow/learn/adapt slowly with use. After enough use they develop a protective bond with their Tenno and cannot be bonded with another Tenno, at this point they develop somewhat of a personality of their own and can operate Independently for short periods of time. (Really short and usually only when needing to protect the Tenno).

The First Dream/Second Dream are an Astral plane that allows the Tenno to Focus on the Warframe and keep it running easier, although a skilled enough Tenno will be able to do it from specially prepared chamber/chair/room/site to allow "Transference" into the Warframe, they can also control the Warframes directly by touching them and can channel their powers Directly if needed however this is dangerous and will lead to them causing harm to themselves.

Beasts could develop a Kinship with both the Tenno and the Warframes independently. Warframes cannot be feed from by Vampires as their blood is not Nourishing.

The Technocyte Virus/Infestation is a dangerous experiment from before the Orokin times, and the origin of much of the technologies of the Orokin in some ways.

Well, that's certainly a way of things I hadn't thought of. I'm not sure I am comfortable with the conversions though since I have no idea what to make werewolves, giests, or changelings in that sort of setting.

I can however buy that Demons helped deal the finishing blow to the Orokin once the Betrayal Occured, but not sure I want to classify the Sentients as angels, or rather "true" angels. Could be that they believe the Sentients were a Project started in the assumption to mass produce "knockoffs", if you get my drift and the Orokin empire was the finalized version of the GM's control over human governments. If there was any hope of peaceful reconciliation, the Demons prevented it in an effort to have what they believed to be the two greatest workings of the god machine destroy each other. Whether or not the God Machine created them is another matter entirely, but that'll be the story a demon tells you when being fully honest.

The Mummy cult thing I definately want to add as a Corpus heresy. It's not too hard to do so since the Origin system has enough more Corpus to have a religious schism. So we've got normal greed Corpus and then there's the Mummy worshiping heretics.

As for the spoiler stuff, I've pretty much decided at this point that I want to Tenno to be a minisplat in of themselves much like the Purified were. This avoids the issue of having to having to tie them to any of the existing lines.
                  Last edited by Almarck; 01-23-2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Well, that's certainly a way of things I hadn't thought of. I'm not sure I am comfortable with the conversions though since I have no idea what to make werewolves, giests, or changelings in that sort of setting.

I can however buy that Demons helped deal the finishing blow to the Orokin once the Betrayal Occured, but not sure I want to classify the Sentients as angels, or rather "true" angels. Could be that they believe the Sentients were a Project started in the assumption to mass produce "knockoffs", if you get my drift. If there was any hope of peaceful reconciliation, the Demons prevented it in an effort to have what they believed to be the two greatest workings of the god machine destroy each other. Whether or not the God Machine created them is another matter entirely, but that'll be the story a demon tells you.

The Mummy cult thing I definately want to add as a Corpus heresy. It's not too hard to do so since the Origin system has enough more Corpus to have a religious schism. So we've got normal greed Corpus and then there's the Mummy worshiping heretics.

As for the spoiler stuff, I've pretty much decided at this point that I want to Tenno to be a minisplat in of themselves much like the Purified were.
                    What I meant by The Demons/Angels are that The GM needs Agents that are less likely to go Nuts and Start Worshiping it rather then just doing what their told, Demons and GM Angels would still exist seperately, Just the Sentient are used as a more reliable "Workforce" then Humans.. and they were great in letting them "Think" what they were doing was their own idea, but was simply an Order issued to them though a Backdoor (Atleast it's an Explanation for now until the game gives a better reason, Not saying the Orokin didn't need to be dealt with... just it makes little sense at the moment)

The Spoilered stuff.. Minisplat of their own is Exactly what they deserve.. But as an Explanation for the origin is all I was Providing.

Werewolves, Geists and Changelings are a Different Beast but i would say they Probably HATE the Warframes/Tenno. I'd Personally say the Warframes are made from the Harvested parts of the Various Races, combined with the Technocyte Virus and experiments to "Harden" them... the Warframes ability to self revive could come from Giest Organs and powers. The Regenerating Shield is possibly gained from a Pact of a Changelings Torn from them and Copied many times over combined with technology/the Technocyte.

On the Werewolves... I wonder if the Grineer Maniacs are just tapping into the Right bits to create an Artifical Uratha.. Not capable of Transforming just going full rage and overpowering what their bodies could normally do.

As for the Races themselves... Any of the Races/groups would have a chance of becoming a Geist, although i'd hazard a guess that Giester's/Sin-eaters are alot less common... So Much death.. so many Choices for the Geist to pick for a host. Also... Giests i can see as being in some of the Syndicates... Red Veil and New Loka most likely (New Loka might also have Werewolves in them quite abit).
                    Werewolves/Uratha/The Pure None of that matters now... the Veil is torn and Mother Luna is gone. All they can do is police the area of their own until she returns... And hope that the legends of Father Wolf Returning are enough to keep the young from lashing out. Likely have a good membership in the New Loka syndicate with wanting to restore the world/worlds back to something reasonably sane.
                    Changelings... are outsiders amongst outsiders. They never even had anyone remember they were taken as the True Fae adapted to grand Space Opera's and Sci-fi Horror stories, Kidnapping entire Ships of people and leaving behind broken wreckage with little evidence of what has happened. Those that have the will to escape return to find themselves Missing and the System not worrying about it. I Genuinely have little idea for them beyond updating the Courts and the True Fae.

Light and Dark are two Sides of a Coin... Humanity is What Happens when it Lands on it's Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by RickmanUK View Post

What I meant by The Demons/Angels are that The GM needs Agents that are less likely to go Nuts and Start Worshiping it rather then just doing what their told, Demons and GM Angels would still exist seperately, Just the Sentient are used as a more reliable "Workforce" then Humans.. and they were great in letting them "Think" what they were doing was their own idea, but was simply an Order issued to them though a Backdoor (Atleast it's an Explanation for now until the game gives a better reason, Not saying the Orokin didn't need to be dealt with... just it makes little sense at the moment)
                      From my understanding of the Lore, it had to do something with what happened in the tau system. Possibly the Orokin blamed the Sentients for failing to create the FTL solar rail network properly, but that's what I think. Very reasonable to assume that supernaturals, especially Demons got involved.

The Spoilered stuff.. Minisplat of their own is Exactly what they deserve.. But as an Explanation for the origin is all I was Providing.
                      I understand. The explanation would ultimately have to rely on how I treat the Void I suppose. I got some ideas for what Mages think of it from this discussions though.

On the Werewolves... I wonder if the Grineer Maniacs are just tapping into the Right bits to create an Artifical Uratha.. Not capable of Transforming just going full rage and overpowering what their bodies could normally do.
                      According to Lore, they're actually survivors of Tenno attacks that have been driven insane. Which is why they have so many masks on their bodies... because those belong to their fallen allies. I don't think werewolf is appropriate for them, I say Grineer that after surviving are under the influence of murder spirits.

As for the Races themselves... Any of the Races/groups would have a chance of becoming a Geist, although i'd hazard a guess that Giester's/Sin-eaters are alot less common... So Much death.. so many Choices for the Geist to pick for a host. Also... Giests i can see as being in some of the Syndicates... Red Veil and New Loka most likely (New Loka might also have Werewolves in them quite abit).
                      Werewolves/Uratha/The Pure None of that matters now... the Veil is torn and Mother Luna is gone. All they can do is police the area of their own until she returns... And hope that the legends of Father Wolf Returning are enough to keep the young from lashing out. Likely have a good membership in the New Loka syndicate with wanting to restore the world/worlds back to something reasonably sane.
                      Changelings... are outsiders amongst outsiders. They never even had anyone remember they were taken as the True Fae adapted to grand Space Opera's and Sci-fi Horror stories, Kidnapping entire Ships of people and leaving behind broken wreckage with little evidence of what has happened. Those that have the will to escape return to find themselves Missing and the System not worrying about it. I Genuinely have little idea for them beyond updating the Courts and the True Fae.
                      Yeah. I'm definately having everyone have their own Tenno affiliated Syndicates at the end.

As for the werewolves, well, Luna's back and rebestowed her power to her children, granting the bare backed for generations Uratha Auspices. She's weakened from her stay in the Void of course, especially since the other races are trying to loot what's left of the Capital. Don't think they did "policing" so much as "seizing" teritory when and where they could because of the fluff changes. They've probably got ties in some of the most militant syndicates around.

And you're probably right about the Changelings, but I'm not going to deal with them just yet. Other things in line.
                      Last edited by Almarck; 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM.

Comment

For me, I try to avoid blending canon lore and nWoD lore when I'm trying to create a crossover. It keeps in with the theme of the supernatural in the CofD being more "reality+" than the secret reason for everything.

I've got the idea the Orokin actually liked mages...so long as the Awakened were completely under their control. Perhaps the Corpus' indoctrination process and, more pertinently, the Neural Sentries, were developed from attempts to being...​recalcitrant Awakened, and other supernatural beings that still technically qualified as human, back in line. Otherwise, each mage was an element of chaos beholden only to themselves-not something they'd like.

Comment

I'm actually kinda surprised how many people on this forum even know this game at all.... I was actually going into this thing with the idea I wouldn't get much support on the OP forum due to relative lack of familiarity.

Then again, the game is according to TotalBiscuit constantly ranked top 20 in steam...

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                          For me, I try to avoid blending canon lore and nWoD lore when I'm trying to create a crossover. It keeps in with the theme of the supernatural in the CofD being more "reality+" than the secret reason for everything.

I've got the idea the Orokin actually liked mages...so long as the Awakened were completely under their control. Perhaps the Corpus' indoctrination process and, more pertinently, the Neural Sentries, were developed from attempts to being...​recalcitrant Awakened, and other supernatural beings that still technically qualified as human, back in line. Otherwise, each mage was an element of chaos beholden only to themselves-not something they'd like.

Anyways, Leliel, a very well thought out suggestion.
                          The Orokin... probably would have done something like that. It was either extermination or enslavement, I suppose.

Comment

They don't have immortality to my knowledge. They seem to have massively slowed down aging instead. Tenshin, the PvP NPC director, is implied to have been around since the Old War and he's noticably older looking than any other NPC in the game which puts his age somewhere around 1000. Most likely more if he was a War Vet.

Which means that people have even more of a expectation for continued existence, which makes immortality more appealing, not less.

That plus, the state of the Origin System is such that you're likely to have other things on your mind than dying of old age within the next hundreds of years. Death is kinda hard to avoid in the Origin system when every given planet has frequent skirmishes in orbit.
                            If only vampires were harder to kill on combat, oh wait, they are harder to kill on combat, which again, would make immortality more appealing.

If you want vampiredom to be an unpopular choice, that's fine, but come up with something that actually makes sense.

Back in medieval times, when the average lifespan was 25, becoming a vampire was seen as absolutely horrible. Flash forward, with the life expectancy being more than 3 times that, and what do you know, becoming a vampire is something some people would wait in line and pay money to make happen.

If your premise was right, there wouldn't have been a vampire the masquerade or requiem in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by StSword View Post

Which means that people have even more of a expectation for continued existence, which makes immortality more appealing, not less.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

If only vampires were harder to kill on combat, oh wait, they are harder to kill on combat, which again, would make immortality more appealing.

If you want vampiredom to be an unpopular choice, that's fine, but come up with something that actually makes sense.

Back in medieval times, when the average lifespan was 25, becoming a vampire was seen as absolutely horrible. Flash forward, with the life expectancy being more than 3 times that, and what do you know, becoming a vampire is something some people would wait in line and pay money to make happen.

If your premise was right, there wouldn't have been a vampire the masquerade or requiem in the first place.

Eh, it was more that I have no idea how to handle Vampire in the... relatively unique situation where extreme longevity is the norm.

They do get a load of bonuses though what with "real" Faith being rare here, the fact that most of the population isn't anywhere near the sun, and so on.

Comment

I'll just point out that vampires should be significantly easier to kill in combat when laser, plasma and heat-based weapons are relatively common.

Comment

Working...
                                X