No announcement yet.

Genius: The Trangression 2th edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for new Condition: True Believer. Condition can occur naturally among mortals and Inspired but all Unmada automatically receive one upon becoming one and must always have one attached to them. Phenomenologist grand could allow them to apply new True Believer Conditions to themselves at will or change blief of their True Bliever condition.
    Upon character gaining this Condition Storyteller and player should construct a belief character has about working of the world and assign mental skill to it.
    Effects: True Believer gets +1 bonus to interaction with Wonders and Manes that have matching working principal or aesthetic. Mundane True Believers do not trigger havoc checks on Wonders they gain bonus on. Believer may substitute Subtefuge skill checks that would rely on their belief to predetermined Mental Skill (Phenomenelogist who's belief is that Lemuria Rules the World could use Politics instead of Subterfuge to Con their way into high security facility, while Etherite could fast talk a person about ether using Science, and so on).
    Beat: Whenever inaccuracy of belief puts True Believer or their allies in danger.
    Resolution: When belief is proven beyond shadow of doubt to be wrong. Roll a breaking point with penalty. If True Believer was an Unmada they receive new True Beliver Condition but can have different belief accosiated with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tambov View Post
      How does Etherite Tesla fit there? He just wanted to spread his inventions and snog birds.
      Never quite understood why he'd ever be in Lemuria. If he was, probably when they were doing their "we're in charge, and you have to join us or be crushed" phase.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Never quite understood why he'd ever be in Lemuria. If he was, probably when they were doing their "we're in charge, and you have to join us or be crushed" phase.
        He was deeply opposed to the theory of relativity. Ironically, Einstein himself spent much of his later years attempting to disprove quantum mechanics.

Words of Wisdom from the Forums:
        "Don't be unlucky and get dead by a wolf-man."
        "Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

Comment

• Suppose this may sit as the extension of Mane threats to some extent, but I always wanted to play more with the threats that Bardos presented. Besides the strange metaphysics and hazardous environments within, you had the various denizens of a particular Bardo. That are generally treated as Manes when outside of it, although it can serve as an exotic backstory for any particular Inspired.

Bardos require Mania to sustain, although normally these are 'closed off' and able to sustain themselves off of both disproven theories and fantasies and raw chaotic Mania storms, since they are purely abstract at this point. However, when a point of entry is discovered into a Bardo (from a Genius's discovery, wonder or creation, as an example) this delicate protection is lost. Not only can outsiders and Bardo denizens cross over the entry point, the Bardo begins losing Mania as it begins to undo itself when it comes into contact with the reality that serves to be contrary to the paradigms and aesthetics the Bardo runs on.

What's a local Bardo populace to do? If they don't just turn over and take the end of their existence, or work out some support deals with the local Genii, there's always a simple answer. Invade reality to take its riches and Mania by force.

Comment

• Originally posted by -metablender View Post
            Suppose this may sit as the extension of Mane threats to some extent, but I always wanted to play more with the threats that Bardos presented. Besides the strange metaphysics and hazardous environments within, you had the various denizens of a particular Bardo. That are generally treated as Manes when outside of it, although it can serve as an exotic backstory for any particular Inspired.

Bardos require Mania to sustain, although normally these are 'closed off' and able to sustain themselves off of both disproven theories and fantasies and raw chaotic Mania storms, since they are purely abstract at this point. However, when a point of entry is discovered into a Bardo (from a Genius's discovery, wonder or creation, as an example) this delicate protection is lost. Not only can outsiders and Bardo denizens cross over the entry point, the Bardo begins losing Mania as it begins to undo itself when it comes into contact with the reality that serves to be contrary to the paradigms and aesthetics the Bardo runs on.

What's a local Bardo populace to do? If they don't just turn over and take the end of their existence, or work out some support deals with the local Genii, there's always a simple answer. Invade reality to take its riches and Mania by force.

You mean like the Martian Invasion?

Thinking about Manes, would it make sense to have categories like I proposed for Wonders?

Variant Manes are those with entirely plausible and real biology (even when they don't fit into any terrestrial line of descent). They arguably aren't even really "Manes" in the proper sense and don't need Mania to function. Human and near-Human inhabitants of Bardos and the very best mimicry Automata are examples.
            Deviant Manes are those that are mostly understandable... excepting the integral "Wonders" that define their particular biology. These require Mania to function as they are, but some can "survive" without it, albeit at the cost of their abilities. Many of the more common "Mane species" and Automata designed for hibernation are examples.
            Extra-rational Manes are those who can't even exist without the strange fluctuations and energies of Mania to give them life. Tulpas born of the worst cases of Unmada-ism, extra-dimensional/temporal intelligences from discarded or alien universes and timelines, or Automata designed with no regard for physics or biology (or, often, sanity) are prime examples.

Comment

• A straight up martian invasion is just one way of doing it. Invaders, as a loose descriptor for any Bardo populace aggressively raiding reality and Mania for their needs, could come from any conceivable Bardo location. To use some other examples from the original finished document:

Invaders from the Gray Plateau of Tsoska would be running straight up political espionage, party infiltration and economic turnover to support the 'every poorly run empire magnified ten-fold' back home. Counter to denizens of The Grid mainly investing computer banks and servers, very rarely if ever able to manifest in areas with enough electronics. The Hollow Earth cracks open just enough and long extinct dinosaurs and early taxa try to reestablish themselves in the food chain.

"Invader" as a term, is more about the antagonistic motives of a Bardo populace and doesn't mean only select groups or common methods are used. Much like the Huntsmen in Changeling 2E, they have a variety of motives and ways of getting what they need. Invading earth (mainly Genius institutions, or even other Bardos...) is born primarily from their desperation to continue an impossible existence, different than the Huntsmen's aims to end the hunt so they can return to non-existence.

----

I know I haven't been around for awhile. While I can see the point of your earlier Wonder/Field distinctions I'm unsure if Manes need that amount of mechanical difference? There is a great majority of functional, paradigm, aesthetic and origin difference (Bardo native or Genius creation) to categorize Manes, almost as numerous as Spirits.

The basics of Manes (although this is presented as a Merit in the 1.1 guide, in case of a Genius having it) is that they require 1 Mania per day to function outside of their Bardos and Manes also cause Havoc. I could see the most 'human, but not' Manes not even needing Mania. Or perhaps if Manes had other ways of leeching Mania from the environment as fitting their paradigm than just the Calculus Vampire merit.

Although since the majority of Manes are presumed to be substantial (with a minority as Ephemeral, or technically Ephemeral when viewing their Bardo from the outside) perhaps Variants have either little Mania needs or have a bonus to resist Havoc, and then you have standard ones and any aforementioned Ephemeral manes so bizarre can can't even exist or manifest without Mania.

Speaking of, should Manes have a Rank? Or just broad categories of template that is stylized differently when considering form and origins. Whether its a class of Manes that use Attributes and Skills or trait categories and such. Besides needing it to survive (or power native Bardo Wonders) would a Mane use Mania for anything else? Unless they Catalyze Manes aren't considered Geniuses (and that would cancel out the daily Mania a Genius gets anyways).

Comment

• Originally posted by -metablender View Post
                I know I haven't been around for awhile. While I can see the point of your earlier Wonder/Field distinctions I'm unsure if Manes need that amount of mechanical difference? There is a great majority of functional, paradigm, aesthetic and origin difference (Bardo native or Genius creation) to categorize Manes, almost as numerous as Spirits.
                Yeah, I don't think the Manes really need to have too much categorization beyond what's there.

The basics of Manes (although this is presented as a Merit in the 1.1 guide, in case of a Genius having it) is that they require 1 Mania per day to function outside of their Bardos and Manes also cause Havoc. I could see the most 'human, but not' Manes not even needing Mania. Or perhaps if Manes had other ways of leeching Mania from the environment as fitting their paradigm than just the Calculus Vampire merit.
                I think the rules on how much Mania a Mane requires should be more of a suggestion. Maybe make it so Manes have a store of Mania, but it drains when they suffer Havoc? So a smarter Mane could avoid directly interacting with Mortals and persist without a huge amount of trouble, but more alien or unintelligent Manes would have to be Mania-drainers.

I was also thinking of changing Calculus Vampire from a Merit to a Dread Power.

Speaking of, should Manes have a Rank? Or just broad categories of template that is stylized differently when considering form and origins. Whether its a class of Manes that use Attributes and Skills or trait categories and such. Besides needing it to survive (or power native Bardo Wonders) would a Mane use Mania for anything else? Unless they Catalyze Manes aren't considered Geniuses (and that would cancel out the daily Mania a Genius gets anyways).
                I think Manes will probably just be Nightmares for the most part, with Inspired Manes being Horrors with Inspiration equivalent to Rank.

Words of Wisdom from the Forums:
                "Don't be unlucky and get dead by a wolf-man."
                "Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

Comment

• So, i'm new here. Just got done reading through the thread.

I made a couple of sample fields and Inferences (calling them that cause Postulates just doesn't seem right). Got Necronics and some of Parachronics from previous posters. Sort of gave up making them when i started writing Psionics, especially the naming. so here you go:

Field of Necronics
                  This Field is the study and manipulation of spectral beings and the Underworld. (May need to be broadened to the Field of Spectrology if need to be combined with Spirits and the Shadow as well)
                  Required Skill: Occult
                  Infarences:
                  • Spectral Sensor (Apokalypsi): Allows your Wonders to detect Ghosts and various Ghostly Phenomena (Haunts, Numina, their Power stat, Possession, Claiming, how much Essence they have, etc.)
                  • Ectoplasmic Manipulation (Epikrato): You can create Wonders that can control ghosts and the flow of Essence.
                  • Plasmic Regenerator (Exilixi): You can create Wonders that temporarily raise a Ghost's Rank or heal Ghostly Beings.
                  • Necro-Disentanglement (Katastrofi): You can create Wonders that can sever a Ghost from its Anchors and remove Possessing and Claiming ghosts.
                  • Ectoplasmic Disintegrator (Katastrofi): You can create Wonders that can harm Ghostly beings and objects. (May also harm Spirits if we decide Ghosts and Spirits require different Fields. May or may not have a special effect on Sin-Eaters, who are half-ghosts)
                  • Specter Cannon (Katastrofi): You can create Wonders that replicate Ghostly attacks, they are defended as if they come from a Ghost of Rank (either Katastrofi or a fraction of Inspiration)
                  • Phaseshift Manipulator (Metaptropi): You can create Wonders that turns the target intangible (May turn Ghosts and Sin-Eaters tangible, if Ghosts can do that naturally and if Sin-Eaters can turn Intangible, don’t know enough about Geist to know for sure.)
                  • Ecto-Containment (Prostasia): You can create Wonders that ward off or contain Ghosts.
                  • Keymaster (Skafoi): You can create Wonders that open or close Avernian Gates.
                  Note: Katastrofi was separated into three Inferences because otherwise it would be way too broad, I guess some of them can be removed if deemed too OP or unthematic. Don’t know enough about Geist to know for sure. Sorry if some of these ones are bad.

Field of Parachronics
                  This Field covers Time as a subject of study, manipulation, and, ultimately, a method of travel. Though Time Travel is indeed possible, it is often times hindered by the sporadic existence of the Time Police.
                  Required Skill: Academics
                  Inferances:
                  • Chronoscopic Sensor (Apokalypsi): Allows your Wonders to detect things that happen in the past or future. However, due to the turbulent and ever shifting nature of the future, it is far easier to see into the past. Efforts to see into the future lead to ever more sporadic results the farther you try to see. By default, this Inference can only reveal what mundane senses can, however, other Apokalypsi Inferences can modify this to an extent.
                  • Accelerated Mending (Exilixi): Allows you to build Wonders that reduce the time required to regenerate wounds or repair objects or structure. May only work on self-repairing system. May require a supply of sustenance/material to allow it to function properly.
                  • Temporal Stasis Fields (Exilixi): Allows you to build Wonders that put targets in a state of stasis, preventing them from being damaged or from a deteriorating condition while simultaneously preventing them from healing or acting in anyway.
                  • Entropic Decay (Katastrofi): Allows you to build Wonders that accelerates aging on the target.
                  • Timescale Accelerator (Skafoi): Allows you to build Wonders that either speeds up or slows down targets actions.
                  Obscure Inferences:
                  • Time Travel (Skafoi): Allows you to build Wonders that allows for travel through time and to change the past. Due to the often-destructive results of such meddling, this Inference has been outlawed by the Peerage, on the penalty of death. Now that the Peerage has broken, there is nothing stopping a Genius from trying to change the past.
                  • Timeshift Stabilizer (Prostasia): Allows you to build Wonders that protects the target from changes to the past.

Field of Psionics
                  This Field covers psychic powers and mental manipulation caused by any source.
                  Required Skill:
                  Inferences:
                  • Psionic Sensor (Apokalypsi): Allows your Wonders to detect mental interference caused by outside sources. Be it from a Mind Mage, a Vampire using Dominate, Disquet, Lunacy, or other, similar powers.
                  • Mind Reading (Apokalypsi): Allows your Wonders to view the memories and minds of others.
                  • Mind Control (Epikrato): Allows you to build Wonders that Control others thoughts.
                  • Mental Repair (Exilixi): Allows you to build Wonders that repairs others Minds, curing Derangements.
                  • Mind Wipe (Katastrofi): Allows you to build Wonders that damages the mind. Draining Mental Attributes and causing Amnesia in the target.
                  • Mental Barrier (Prostasia): Allows you to build Wonders that protects your mind from outside influences.

Comment

• I looked at the Preliminary Wonder Rules, and noticed some things.

1) It does not say what Advanced Potency does.

2) It says under Incorporating Components that the dice pool is Inspiration + Skill, but under Beta Testing, Doc Awful uses Intelligence and Wits instead of Inspiration to Incorporate Components. Why isn't the dice pool Intelligence + Skill + Inspiration, like in 1ED? Can you use non Mental Skills? What about Laboratory Equipment, Beholden Ability, Cooperation, spending Mania/Willpower, taking extra time and Conditions? Do Professional Training and similar Merits apply to this dice pool? If not, I think they should at least apply to rolls for using the Wonders. We also need a list of results for Exceptional Success and Dramatic Failure.

3) What do Geniuses roll for Clashes Of Wills involving their Wonders that are not Havoc? I assume it's Inspiration + Resolve + Longer Durations, plus whatever bonuses they get by spending Mania and Willpower.

4) Are Wonders still more fragile than mundane equivalents and automatically dangerous to Implant? Or should these traits be Flaws?

5) I think the roll for finding alternate Components should be changed to Wits + a Skill relevant to the Component.

6) It does not say what happens if the user who triggered Havoc gets an Exceptional Success.

7) Can Geniuses still spend a Willpower point to Hold It Together (i.e. automaticaly prevent a Havoc roll from happening to a Wonder that is in their possession)?

8) Can Geniuses still willingly abandon their Wonders?

9) Do Wonders still start out with a Persistent Flaw?

10) Withstand ratings are mentioned. Do these work just like the ones in Mage? How does Supernatural Tolerance work with Withstanding?
                    Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 03-23-2017, 10:35 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                      I looked at the Preliminary Wonder Rules, and noticed some things.

1) It does not say what Advanced Potency does.

2) It says under Incorporating Components that the dice pool is Inspiration + Skill, but under Beta Testing, Doc Awful uses Intelligence and Wits instead of Inspiration to Incorporate Components. Why isn't the dice pool Intelligence + Skill + Inspiration, like in 1ED? Can you use non Mental Skills? What about Laboratory Equipment, Beholden Ability, Cooperation, spending Mania/Willpower, taking extra time and Conditions? Do Professional Training and similar Merits apply to this dice pool? If not, I think they should at least apply to rolls for using the Wonders. We also need a list of results for Exceptional Success and Dramatic Failure.

3) What do Geniuses roll for Clashes Of Wills involving their Wonders that are not Havoc? I assume it's Inspiration + Resolve + Longer Durations, plus whatever bonuses they get by spending Mania and Willpower.

4) Are Wonders still more fragile than mundane equivalents and automatically dangerous to Implant? Or should these traits be Flaws?

5) I think the roll for finding alternate Components should be changed to Wits + a Skill relevant to the Component.

6) It does not say what happens if the user who triggered Havoc gets an Exceptional Success.

7) Can Geniuses still spend a Willpower point to Hold It Together (i.e. automaticaly prevent a Havoc roll from happening to a Wonder that is in their possession)?

8) Can Geniuses still willingly abandon their Wonders?

9) Do Wonders still start out with a Persistent Flaw?

10) Withstand ratings are mentioned. Do these work just like the ones in Mage? How does Supernatural Tolerance work with Withstanding?

Where is this doc?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Where is this doc?
                        It's right here.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• So to wit; Here are some of the changers this thread has decided:

Geniuses use actual science; some might only be theoretical or be the science of parallel worlds, but science nonetheless. Havoc is more the result of Genii not labeling things and having nonsensical control mechanisms than them forcing alien laws of physics on reality (Though that also comes into play).

There is no one in charge; The Peerage and Lemuria are basically glorified Fellowships (Which are probably mechanically Fellowships as well?) that might have been major once but have fallen so far. In this case, the Y splats (Artificers, Directors, Navigators, etc) should probably be Approaches to Mad Sciences (Knowledges?) instead of factions of The Peerage. They might have been, once, but now Navigators is a catch all term for Mad Explorers/Adventurers/Iron Man wannabe. Similarly, Lemuria has been defeated long ago and so the Baramins should probably be a loose collection of Fellowships united only by common origin and pretty dang independent otherwise.

Genii Integrity equivalent pushes them to be more careful of their changes; The higher on the scale they are, the more 'sane' they are and the more ineffective they become. Likewise, the lower they are on the scale, the more unstable they are but the more powerful and effective they are overall. We should put lots of incentive to be on the lower side of the scale, of course being made to be careful as fuck with higher Integrity would probably do it for some players. High Integrity would probably also lock the best Wonders away due to how dangerous they are while simultaneously lowering Havoc chances and effects (Probably), due to fail-safes and them labeling their shit. Low Integrity would grant the best Wonders and (Probably) enhance their effects while making Havoc and its effects worse. Social penalties and bonuses are also (Probably) spread around.

Clockstoppers are Anti-Beholden instead of Anti-Geniuses to differentiate them from Banishers; They would probably still have Anti-Tech powers, but they are the result of some people having the opposite reactions than regular Beholden. Should probably determine Beholden/Clockstopper chances via the Integrity or Inspiration Stats. Either more careful Genii have less chance of making Clockstoppers but are less likely to attempt to make Beholden as well, or More powerful Genii (like Inspiration 6+) are less likely to make Clockstoppers (As their Wonders become more sublime and shit) but make stronger ones instead.

Time Travel is easier but has more consequences; no Mania is needed to change the past, so someone who came along for a ride in your Time Machine can change the Present until you find out whats going on and fix it. Time police exists sometimes, maybe there the Guardians of Forever stopping you from killing Hitler in the name of their former masters, maybe the Terminals stop you, maybe a cult of Time Traveling Geniuses, maybe none of those ever existed in the first place. Whatever the case truly is, each trip through time, even by the same Genius, will yield differing results.

Anything else?

Comment

• Since we are entirely decentralizing Lemuria, it brings up a question of what happened to all their Bureaus and other maniacal smoke and mirror mechanisms. Here is my suggestion: Lemurians claim God-Machine stole it from them. The Nine Secret Men were perfectly aware of Its existence and included protocols and guides in their playbook to keep It from stealing Lemurian bureocractic and political mechanisms, but with them gone Lemurians found themselves looking helplessly as their power slipped between their fingers to the grinding gears. Lemurians hate the God-Machine, they love God-Machine, they seek to destroy It, while worshipping It, and trying to banter with It for the Infrastructure It stole from them.
                            Peerage struggles to acknowledge existence of such Machine much in the very same way as Lemuria fails to acknowledge the Mages, as far as they are concerned Lemurians are awful at accounting and No One Is in Control.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weird View Post
                              Since we are entirely decentralizing Lemuria, it brings up a question of what happened to all their Bureaus and other maniacal smoke and mirror mechanisms. Here is my suggestion: Lemurians claim God-Machine stole it from them. The Nine Secret Men were perfectly aware of Its existence and included protocols and guides in their playbook to keep It from stealing Lemurian bureocractic and political mechanisms, but with them gone Lemurians found themselves looking helplessly as their power slipped between their fingers to the grinding gears. Lemurians hate the God-Machine, they love God-Machine, they seek to destroy It, while worshipping It, and trying to banter with It for the Infrastructure It stole from them.
                              Peerage struggles to acknowledge existence of such Machine much in the very same way as Lemuria fails to acknowledge the Mages, as far as they are concerned Lemurians are awful at accounting and No One Is in Control.

Hmm. Seems a little bit too Cross-over dependent (even if the G-M is in Core, it is still an optional component). Their existing infrastructure could also simply be just as headless and running on auto-pilot. Local Lemurian Collectives control what they can, others are coasting on stale orders, others have been so-opted by all manner of factions (the G-M being only one potential). Drives home more of the "No one is in charge" theme than having it mostly stolen by a single power.

Also brings up options for moral ambiguity - the best outcome might actually be helping Lemurians regain control over some of their old power base, if only so someone is monitoring it and preventing it from becoming a worse danger left on its own.

Comment

Working...
                              X