No announcement yet.

Genius: The Trangression 2th edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd be inclined to go Inspired Mane (or just straight up Genius, with minor changes). He/She's still close enough to human to model using the Attribute + Skill spread and doesn't need special Conditions just to influence things.

I could see an argument being made about using Achronals for something/someone similar, though. "Regenerations" would then be them re-instancing back into "current" time after being Discorporated. With a "few changes" each time as far as appearance goes. Or maybe instead of Materialize, it has Possess (even Claim)?

What Numina and Influence, though?

Now, could the Tardis could have an Achronal Fettered to it?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
      Vent0 Would the Doctor be an Inspired Mane or a Rank 5 Achronal?
      I'd say Inspired Mane. He's quite a bit more material than Achronals, and doesn't really have anything like a Fulcrum. Unless you consider his past selves to be Fulcrums, given his negative reaction to having his past selves plucked out of time in The Five Doctors.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

• I just had a possible though for simple Beholden condition: drops number of doors Genius needs to open to minimum of zero and improves impression over certain time unless Genius actively abuses them. PC Beholden would have steady access to beats while Geniuses could now and then toss few mental or emotional Conditions on their NPC Beholden with little effort. Feels like natural way of enforcing subservient "buttmonkey" archetype they are meant to fill.

Comment

• I feel my greatest irritation with Obligation and Restraint is that it encourages compliance and discourages Geniuses being weird misfits. The "mad science" stories of transgression/hubris and fallout/nemesis often preach about irresponsibility of the scientist, how their denouncement of their creation at critical moment doomed them and people around them. It could be great basis for Genius's Integrity stat, but irresponsible behavior is already easily punished by Havoc, attention of conspiracies, public, and Clockstoppers.
          I still feel what we need is more alien measurement system that tells when Saturday morning cartoon villain crosses the line into present day Joker.

Genius 2e Integrity pitch of the month: Content, how much of the world, society, universe and themselves does Genius accept as is. Very few Geniuses could be found in complete zen state of acceptance since such nihilism stands almost anti-thesis to discontent that motives and drives most Inspired. The difference between 1 and 0 however is that Genius at 1 is at least willing to tolerate themselves enough to resist giving in into completely alien desire to vivisect reality itself and rebuild it by their singular vision.

Breaking point to such Geniuses would be whenever the aspects of reality they are happy with would abruptly and completely change. What comes next is Genius either needs to seek closure, understanding and acceptance to what happened, or deny and bargain to try to change and force it back. This creates tension between all Inspired: pursuit of your future may thwart what little other Genius liked about our world.
          Discontent is Geniuses' breaking point, reality suddenly snatching their textbook from their hand and teasingly holding it above their head out of their reach.

Each Catalyst, like Changelings' Seeming could come with Blessing and Curse or Joy and Frustration. Frustration is what automatically drains Geniuses Content and drives them to their drawing boards. Joy is what helps them find happiness in what they have.

On this measurement tree Ford Pines would be relatively stable example finding happiness in exploring the weird phenomena of the world, while Rick Santchez would stay poster boy of rogues trying to hide his unhappiness in copious consumption and straw nihilism.
          Last edited by Weird; 09-09-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• How do characters like Gru from Despicable Me fit into Genius? You know, someone who can use Wonders and maybe alter/replicate them, but do not lack a worldview like Beholden or have the improved persuasion/tendency toward backstabbing of Edisons.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
              How do characters like Gru from Despicable Me fit into Genius? You know, someone who can use Wonders and maybe alter/replicate them, but do not lack a worldview like Beholden or have the improved persuasion/tendency toward backstabbing of Edisons.
              That's hard to place, honestly. When it comes to Genius, I don't know if there's a place for him to fit. There are individuals who can make one-shot Wonders, and use them without risking Havoc, but they can't really control it. I don't know if it would be appropriate to have what is functionally a Genius without most of the drawbacks. One could argue that Dr. Nefario is actually the Genius, with Gru being a very human Edison, especially since Nefario chafes under Gru when they quit villainy in Despicable Me 2.

Comment

• Isn't Gru most certainly a Genius himself? He uses devices or kitbashes them all the time, and I don't remember any confirmation in the movies that he doesn't make any of his stuff himself and it's all Nefario. Their relationship, too, strikes me as partners who are on equal footing. Gru himself would be a Navigator or a Director, while Nefario is an Artificer.
                Gru could easily simply be a lazier Genius who simply delegates drudge-work to a person more suited to labwork, but still Adopts and maintains the devices he receives with his own Mania, while focuses his own skill dots on more physical capability.
                (The reason they sometimes misfire is exactly because of his reliance on devices that he not always possesses every required Axiom dot for, resulting in a greater chance of Dramatic Failures on his rolls.)

Nefario is so bitter because he originally expected that he and Gru would pool their Axioms as inspired Collectives do, but Gru usually just leaves all the work in the building department to him.
                (Which makes a kind of sense given his Artificer bonus, just not quite what he expected.)

Comment

• So, would Rick Sanchez be an Inspiration 10 Genius, with all Axioms at 5 or better, and an Obligation/Restraint/whatever that is circling the bowl?

Comment

• Originally posted by gyre View Post
                    So, would Rick Sanchez be an Inspiration 10 Genius, with all Axioms at 5 or better, and an Obligation/Restraint/whatever that is circling the bowl?
                    Simply put, yes he is the archetypical case. He is even clearly Neid, the most common Catalyst of Geniuses.

Comment

• Originally posted by gyre View Post
                      So, would Rick Sanchez be an Inspiration 10 Genius, with all Axioms at 5 or better, and an Obligation/Restraint/whatever that is circling the bowl?
                      I wouldn't put him quite so high on Inspiration, seeing as he does use Generators (the microverse, for example). I'd also actually put him at mid-to-low Restraint, on the edge between Neutral and Renegade. He does give a shit about his family and other people some of the time, and has put others before his ego once or twice (the Season 3 finale comes to mind, though I shan't spoil it here).

He definitely does have a lot of Axiomata, although I'd say he definitely leans toward Katastrofi, Skafoi, Exilixi and Automata over others.

Comment

Working...
                      X