Genius: The Trangression 2th edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So, uh, is there a particular reason you're keeping Geniuses as off-brand Mages powered by I Can't Believe It's Not Mana when "occult physics" are a thing now? Because reconceptualizing their powers to be based on the latter would actually, you know, fit the archetype they're supposed to represent.
    Operating under old information? Wonders have multiple sources, which can basically be described as Occult Physics (operating under hidden, or supernatural, principles).
    Last edited by Vent0; 01-07-2018, 12:23 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Operating under old information? Wonders have multiple sources, which can basically be described as Occult Physics (operating under hidden, or supernatural, principles).
      Precisely. And then there's the fact that the occult physics of Demon is incredibly hazy anyway, to the point where the distinction between that and just plain magic is largely one of nomenclature.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

• Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post

Precisely. And then there's the fact that the occult physics of Demon is incredibly hazy anyway, to the point where the distinction between that and just plain magic is largely one of nomenclature.
        But not Nomenclature, or the Deceived would get upset.

Comment

While Occult Physics are indeed hazy, it does still carry a distinct flavor and style that might not be different in execution, with the ideas of their powers being rooted half-way in turns of scientific understanding and study(the other half being the divine classics).

I'm not saying Geniuses should be Occult physicists, but I am saying that it doesn't hurt to take cues from it, as I have mentioned before.

*quietly descends back into the dark and the sticky*

EDIT: and then I go back and read your review of my review as well as your direction and I cordially withdraw the point, as it does clash with where Genius 2nd seems to be going.
          Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-07-2018, 11:31 PM.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
          Work Blog Coming Soon
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            While Occult Physics are indeed hazy, it does still carry a distinct flavor and style that might not be different in execution, with the ideas of their powers being rooted half-way in turns of scientific understanding and study(the other half being the divine classics).

I'm not saying Geniuses should be Occult physicists, but I am saying that it doesn't hurt to take cues from it, as I have mentioned before.

*quietly descends back into the dark and the sticky*

EDIT: and then I go back and read your review of my review as well as your direction and I cordially withdraw the point, as it does clash with where Genius 2nd seems to be going.
            You're right, my description of Occult Physics does kind of oversimplify. There certainly could be Genii who operate under something resembling the Occult Physics of Demon, but it'd be one of countless possible paradigms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
              So, uh, is there a particular reason you're keeping Geniuses as off-brand Mages powered by I Can't Believe It's Not Mana when "occult physics" are a thing now? Because reconceptualizing their powers to be based on the latter would actually, you know, fit the archetype they're supposed to represent.
              Some people have had them use GM's occult physics. My signature has a link to such a template.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

• Please pardon the small rant. All of the below is simply my interpretation.

A Mage is someone who has connected with the higher Truth of a Platonic realm, and impose such higher laws down upon a diminished world (subject to corruption by an interposing madness/chaos dimension/gulf) through their mere will and knowledge. This also imposes implicit value upon the relative nature of the respective realms, knowledge, and those who have access to them.

A Genius is one who has had their mind cracked open, picking up ideas, designs, and thoughts not their own. They see future (and past) developments, the inner workings of physics (mundane and occult), and theories from times and universes not their own. It's like someone in the iron ages having a radio or TV on in the back of their heads set to an information channel, except the specials jump around, and sometimes you get the History Channel from alternate timelines. They might know how to build a Cold Fusion generator (maybe even out of mundane parts) or have the design for a working Ghost Trap. They don't know why it works, but they do know how to build it. To conserve their sanity, they construct various worldviews and paradigms so that these things make "sense". At least the lucky ones do - those who haven't learned to tune out the ideas they aren't feasible, or question too heavily the "why" behind their notions often end up broken, isolated individuals.

A Genius's Wonders work not because they clap their hands and power it with insanity. They create things that exploit real principles (albeit sometimes ones not-native to the current environment and/or universe) in a mostly repeatable manner (if it isn't repeatable, it is a nice experiment, but isn't a Wonder). But they can only keep track of so much at once (this would be Mania/Impetus). They can't just will it on their own (though exploiting certain pre-devised formulae that rely merely upon calculations being run or observed does blur the line).
                Last edited by Vent0; 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Please pardon the small rant. All of the below is simply my interpretation.

A Mage is someone who has connected with the higher Truth of a Platonic realm, and impose such higher laws down upon a diminished world (subject to corruption by an interposing madness/chaos dimension/gulf) through their mere will and knowledge. This also imposes implicit value upon the relative nature of the respective realms, knowledge, and those who have access to them.

A Genius is one who has had their mind cracked open, picking up ideas, designs, and thoughts not their own. They see future (and past) developments, the inner workings of physics (mundane and occult), and theories from times and universes not their own. It's like someone in the iron ages having a radio or TV on in the back of their heads set to an information channel, except the specials jump around, and sometimes you get the History Channel from alternate timelines. They might know how to build a Cold Fusion generator (maybe even out of mundane parts) or have the design for a working Ghost Trap. They don't know why it works, but they do know how to build it. To conserve their sanity, they construct various worldviews and paradigms so that these things make "sense". At least the lucky ones do - those who haven't learned to tune out the ideas they aren't feasible, or question too heavily the "why" behind their notions often end up broken, isolated individuals.

A Genius's Wonders work not because they clap their hands and power it with insanity. They create things that exploit real principles (albeit sometimes ones not-native to the current environment and/or universe) in a mostly repeatable manner (if it isn't repeatable, it is a nice experiment, but isn't a Wonder). But they can only keep track of so much at once (this would be Mania/Impetus). They can't just will it on their own (though exploiting certain pre-devised formulae that rely merely upon calculations being run or observed does blur the line).
                  This is a fantastic way of explaining it. I love it.

Comment

A Genius's Wonders work not because they clap their hands and power it with insanity.
                    According to the notes as they presently stand that's exactly how they work. Mania/Impetus is consistently described as directly being what makes Wonders tick, you have to fit your Wonders into your Paradigm and not the other way around which is the opposite of what would be the case if a Wonder's "operating principles" existed outside of your own head, "Questions to Answer" explicitly calls Wonders pseudoscientific, and last but not least your Paradigm is something that explicitly overrides reality within a radius determined by your Inspiration.

Comment

All of this, particularly the bolded, is very cool.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                      Work Blog Coming Soon
                      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• As I was looking at the Checklist Doc for Genius, I noticed that the only Cataylst with a favored Axiom that was missing was Skafoi, the Axiom of travel. Wanting to fill out the Catalysts, I have come up with another Catalyst: Erregung, The Catalyst of Excitement. If someone else has already come up with a better idea than this, then feel free to ignore.

Erregung*: The Catalyst of Excitement
                        Nickname: Hedonists
                        Planet: Neptune
                        Axiom: Skafoi

“I have seen sights no eyes should be witness to, heard sounds that make unexplainable music. I have traveled to far off lands and sailed the ocean of time, drinking in what they have to show me, to teach me. I have debated with alien intelligences, felt strange sensations within my flesh. I have been through experiences that no mortal man should bare witness to… and you’re telling me to stop?! How dare you bores think to command me; I have but seen a small glimpse of what this brave new world has to offer me, and I will not stop until I’ve experienced it all!”

All Genii (with the possible exception of Klagen) are excitable: when a Wonder works correctly, when they overcome a challenge, when they defeat/vaporize/polymorph their mortal foes. But the Erregung are different in that they crave new experiences all the time. People usually Catalyze into Erregung when they’re exposed to a totally new sensation and want to know more about it, or they realize the natural wonder that is the world around them. Becoming a Erregung is a revolutionary experience; the light inside commands you to do new things, experience all life has to offer, good or evil, painful or sweet. This Catalyst represents the means to broaden your horizon through science; not necessarily what it can teach you, but instead what it can show you and take you to.

However, it differs from Staunen in that they’re not as obsessed; in fact, they’re quite the opposite. Erregung have the derangements of recklessness and noncommitment. A Erregung will pursue a task or work on a project until it no longer excites them, in which best case scenario they’ll clean up and start anew on something else, and worst case they just leave it, not caring about the consequences of their actions if it doesn’t affect them. To put it into a metaphor, Staunen will dig a really deep into the ground until they’re satisfied, where they’ll get back out and start anew somewhere else. While they were digging that hole, an Erregung would have dug out several smaller holes all over the place, working on one until they got bored of that spot and picked another spot. Travelers (everyone else) are at risk of falling in both holes, though the Staunen holes would likely be more hazardous while the Erregung would be more numerous but mostly only annoying. Erregung favor Skafoi, to take them to new places and then to get them out of there when trouble arises.

That’s not to say Erregung are heartless, however. In fact, quite the opposite, as they may be the most emotionally diverse Genius. A Erregung on a team will readily switch to anger to joy to sadness, not submersed on one emotion like Grimms or Klagens. An Erregung will also try to bring in new viewpoints that the other members of a team might not see, and be willing to dive into danger when the need arrives. It’s also a two-sided coin, however; when Erregung feels something for the moment, they really feel it, and the willingness to dive in might not be for the best at the moment. Their teammates may need to reel them in for a bit, lest they do something they’d regret later.

Examples: Rick Sanchez (Rick and Morty), The Doctor (Doctor Who), Phineas and Ferb (Phineas and Ferb)

*Name pending, looking for something along the line of “thrill” or “excitement”

Comment

• Originally posted by Cannox View Post
                          As I was looking at the Checklist Doc for Genius, I noticed that the only Cataylst with a favored Axiom that was missing was Skafoi, the Axiom of travel.
                          Oh, sorry, I think I've forgotten to update my signature. I've been moving stuff to a wiki. Here's a link for now, and I'll change my sig.

Favored Axiomata have been changed some, so Foundations no longer provide them. Now, each Catalyst gives two favored Axiomata. Skafoi was placed with Staunen, alongside Apokalypsi. Link here.

Comment

Oh, sorry, I think I've forgotten to update my signature. I've been moving stuff to a wiki. Here's a link for now, and I'll change my sig.

Favored Axiomata have been changed some, so Foundations no longer provide them. Now, each Catalyst gives two favored Axiomata. Skafoi was placed with Staunen, alongside Apokalypsi. Link here.

Ah, that explains it. To be honest, I created the Catalyst 75% because to fill out the Axiom, and 25% because I couldn't place what catalyst Rick would be, since I always placed Staunen with a deep obsession. But I can see Rick as a very low Obligation Staunen, constantly looking for a new fix of excitement at everyone else's expense. The only reason he's not illuminated is because of his family.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cannox View Post

Ah, that explains it. To be honest, I created the Catalyst 75% because to fill out the Axiom, and 25% because I couldn't place what catalyst Rick would be, since I always placed Staunen with a deep obsession. But I can see Rick as a very low Obligation Staunen, constantly looking for a new fix of excitement at everyone else's expense. The only reason he's not illuminated is because of his family.
                              I wouldn't place Rick as Staunen. He doesn't really give a damn about the world around him, and lacks that curiosity that Staunen needs. If I had to place him, he'd be a Grimm, especially given his proclivity for random violence and his willingness to make random strangers suffer if they annoy him. Honestly, he'd actually fit as one of the hypothetical other Catalysts, specifically Langeweile, the catalyst of ennui.

Comment

• I wonder if I should start up a new thread about Genius crossovers, or maybe just keep it in this one. Perhaps a good way of discovering what a Genius is is by finding out what a Genius is not, and what a Genius' views are of vampires, Prometheans, Hunters, and of course Magi are. And it could even include fan-lines, like Princess and Leviathan. What do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                                X