Genius: The Trangression 2th edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cannox View Post
    I wonder if I should start up a new thread about Genius crossovers, or maybe just keep it in this one. Perhaps a good way of discovering what a Genius is is by finding out what a Genius is not, and what a Genius' views are of vampires, Prometheans, Hunters, and of course Magi are. And it could even include fan-lines, like Princess and Leviathan. What do you guys think?
    Generally speaking, a Genius sees the other supernatural as something to be studied, analyzed, and at worst, disassembled for spare parts. They often have fewer moral compunctions about strapping a vampire to a table and cutting them open, because they're much less prone to dying that humans are under the same treatment. With other supernaturals, the Genii's (un)natural tendency to view people around them as autonomous systems rather than actual people is strongly magnified, and it doesn't help that a fair number of other Genii and humans are pretty much okay with it when it's a spooky scary on the slab. Vampires are a source of potent biological agents, werewolves become excellent candidates for unwilling roboticization, and unwary mages may find their brains being used to power a supercomputer designed to tear holes in reality. They could make friends, if they really tried. It's just hard to make friends with somebody who, due to the force of raw Inspiration eating at your soul, starts off just a step above a frog in Bio 101 on your priority list.

It also really depends where they sit on Restraint. Paragons tend to be better-able to adjust in general, especially with more "human" supernaturals like Mages and Nobility, while Renegades are more concerned with how a supernatural being might serve their Opus. If its continued existence is in its favor, they're cool, but if they get in the way, or they're more useful dead, a Renegade will have little trouble justifying it, espcially with extremely alien beings like outed Demons or Leviathans.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

• If anything, I'd think that the Fellowships would be more interested in the other game lines than anyone else. Observe:

- The Resurrection Consortium would be very interested in how revival by Vitae works, and Prometheans and Mummies would be an object of interest too.
      - The Malcolm T. Washington Fellowship would be all over the insectile changing breeds. What's worse than a mad scientist riding a 50' mantis? A mad scientist riding a 50' WEREmantis.
      - The Hermetic Order would love to run some tests on a Mage or two to see how their powers work.
      - The Phantom Foundation would just THROW itself at the Bound to see how their powers work and help them out, but they'd also be way into vampires, spirits and Mummies.
      - The Iridium Sentinels would make for interesting companions to Princesses, but in some cases they'd need to be reigned in a bit.
      - The Elders of the Third Law might make for interesting allies in the fight against the God-Machine for Demons.
      - The Institute would be interested in the Gadgets of Demons, as well as the fear-based powers of Beasts and the Variations of Deviants.
      - The Nine Vertex Devils would start organizing races that go through the hedge, with Changelings losing their shit and try to stop them to not attract the True Fae (who actually enjoy the novelty and spectacle of it all).

Comment

• I recall that other supernatural creatures DO NOT trigger Havoc when dealing with Wonders, which I have no doubt that quite a few genii would be interested in. What's the use of these death rays if no one but you are able to use them? I imagine a whole new Fellowship could spring up around this: supplying other supernaturals with Wonders, and finding out where the line is drawn where a supernatural isn't "human" anymore. Is a werewolf in human form "human"? Are slashers? ?Ghouls? Mages (for mages I would say no, they are still human, which is yet another reason they don't like each other).

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
        They could make friends, if they really tried. It's just hard to make friends with somebody who, due to the force of raw Inspiration eating at your soul, starts off just a step above a frog in Bio 101 on your priority list.
        That frog doesn't usually go into a Death Rage and mess up the lab, or call up it's friends to get help beating you down (and if that frog does, the hell kinda' class were you taking?). A Genius may often find themselves on the lower end of the food chain, at least for now. If a supernatural cannot be defeated, then they must be avoided or bargained with. Working with another Supernatural can result in new resources, allies, or simply not dying, which most people would find good. For example, a vampire elder could commission you to build weapons for it in exchange for money (and your life). Then again, he could also ask for a people farm... Not all contact need to be hostile, but it doesn't have to work out well either.

(On a side note, I imagine the Cherion Group would hate Genii, since you can't really use any of their stuff without it blowing up. Though I guess you could dissect a Genius' brain for intelligence boosting enhanchers...)

Finally, the mechanical side: does taking a part of a Supernatural result in Larvae? Because even though they are monsters, most of them use to be human too, and most if not all have human feelings and intellect.

Comment

• If we are reimagining Inspiration and Wonders as less "quasi-magic-tech power by madness", I'd be in favor of other supernaturals actually triggering Havoc. It would solidify that Havoc lies more in the Wonder's imperfect design, and serves to isolate Genii more. I could see a bonus to Havoc rolls scaled to Power stat, though, to mitigate the effects.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cannox View Post
            I recall that other supernatural creatures DO NOT trigger Havoc when dealing with Wonders, which I have no doubt that quite a few genii would be interested in. What's the use of these death rays if no one but you are able to use them? I imagine a whole new Fellowship could spring up around this: supplying other supernaturals with Wonders, and finding out where the line is drawn where a supernatural isn't "human" anymore. Is a werewolf in human form "human"? Are slashers? ?Ghouls? Mages (for mages I would say no, they are still human, which is yet another reason they don't like each other).
            Right, I've been thinking that supernaturals probably should cause Havoc, except in specific edge cases (for example, if a Genius were to power their Wonders under narrative laws, a Changeling might be able to safely use them).

That frog doesn't usually go into a Death Rage and mess up the lab, or call up it's friends to get help beating you down (and if that frog does, the hell kinda' class were you taking?). A Genius may often find themselves on the lower end of the food chain, at least for now.
            True, but the described point of view doesn't come from a rational place. Genii tend to be arrogant, so they may not actually realize that they're low on the food chain, especially if they get lucky or they think they've found an advantage.

(On a side note, I imagine the Cherion Group would hate Genii, since you can't really use any of their stuff without it blowing up. Though I guess you could dissect a Genius' brain for intelligence boosting enhanchers...)
            They'd probably only have problems with Genii that they can't get to work for them. There's probably a couple of Edisons hidden among Cheiron, and a Genius wwho needs some cash might be able to get a job performing their "operations." After all, people will pay through the nose for a guy who can implant a demon's heart perfectly as a 1-hour in-patient procedure without leaving a scar, and then can retrieve it when the guy inevitably goes insane

Finally, the mechanical side: does taking a part of a Supernatural result in Larvae? Because even though they are monsters, most of them use to be human too, and most if not all have human feelings and intellect.
            Taking a supernatural bit can result in a Larva, but it still has to be pretty awful. If you've got a Thesis related around, say, ghosts, and you decided to resolve it all at once by stealing a Sin-Eater's eyes, that'd do it. Removing a werewolf's inflamed appendix because nobody else can stop it from regrowing isn't really worth a Larva (although it'd definitely help a lot of biologically-oriented Theses!)

Comment

• I'm new here, so I didn't look at every development post. So here are my dumb questions: Is Genius 2e complete? Because it doesn't look so. What can I do to contribute to make it complete? What is the most urgent matter in completing it? Has everything in table of contents been thought out and are just waiting to be written in master doc, or are they just blank spaces?

Comment

• Originally posted by tg0098 View Post
                I'm new here, so I didn't look at every development post. So here are my dumb questions: Is Genius 2e complete? Because it doesn't look so.
                It is not yet complete.
                What can I do to contribute to make it complete? What is the most urgent matter in completing it?
                I think the main thing that I might need help on is things like the fiction and worldbuilding.
                Has everything in table of contents been thought out and are just waiting to be written in master doc, or are they just blank spaces?
                There's been some thought to most of the things in the TOC, with varying levels of completed writing.

Comment

• So, uh

Can anyone please tell me what exactly I can write for 2ed at this moment?

I'm stumped for ideas. I'll most likely go with whatever is suggested to me. malonkey1 says we need fiction and worldbuilding, and I can certainly help with that, but I work best when I have a base of inspiration to start from (no pun intended).

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                    So, uh

Can anyone please tell me what exactly I can write for 2ed at this moment?

I'm stumped for ideas. I'll most likely go with whatever is suggested to me. malonkey1 says we need fiction and worldbuilding, and I can certainly help with that, but I work best when I have a base of inspiration to start from (no pun intended).
                    How about a small monologue of either a typical Genius (over-educated Mad Scientist), or a less typical one (like an Artist, Philosopher, or Mystic Scholar) up against the other. This would explore how they see themselves, and how the other is both possible and "wrong" (because they are "wrong, obviously").

Or a train-of-thought monologue about a Genius going from something reasonable to approaching the Deep End, then attempting to correct themselves back. End it with them saying a simple statement or "I'm sorry - what was the question again?". This would highlight how lost the Inspired can get in their own minds, and how their observed actions are just the surface.
                    Last edited by Vent0; 03-17-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Hmm. Would it make sense to structure early temporal projection like Manifestation-less Achronals? The Wonder projects the target to the designated time, which treats the target locally as an Achronal. Lacking even Twilight Form, they would only be able to observe and not interact with anything. Additional modifications might simply be granting Manifestations - first Twilight Form, then Fetter (for longer term observation), Possession (for the "project my mind into my past self or ancestor"), or Materialize. I think Claim would be beyond reach, as would Influences or Numina. But Wonders can easily replicate those anyways.

Comment

• I dunno if I have mentioned this, but maybe the game will be stronger if we remove Jabir altogether? Please bear with me.

As it is, the penalties of Jabir can be canceled with Exelixi and such pretty easily.

Secondly, you don't need a communication-disrupting aura when your go-to solution is "fixing" stuff with death rays or brainwashing. People will see you as insane regardless.

Am I making sense? I feel like it is more thematically powerful if your failures are a result of your own bad decisions and poor judgment, instead of an outside force fucking things up on your behalf. It reinforces the whole "every Genius is their own worst enemy in the end" idea.

IMPORTANT EDIT: If we must keep Jabir, how about we write it as a Persistent Condition caused by failed Unmada rolls that makes it really hard or even impossible to properly convey your worldview to mortals without turning them into Beholden?
                        Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 03-23-2018, 12:10 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

I dunno if I have mentioned this, but maybe the game will be stronger if we remove Jabir altogether? Please bear with me.

As it is, the penalties of Jabir can be canceled with Exelixi and such pretty easily.

Secondly, you don't need a communication-disrupting aura when your go-to solution is "fixing" stuff with death rays or brainwashing. People will see you as insane regardless.

Am I making sense? I feel like it is more thematically powerful if your failures are a result of your own bad decisions and poor judgment, instead of an outside force fucking things up on your behalf. It reinforces the whole "every Genius is their own worst enemy in the end" idea.

IMPORTANT EDIT: If we must keep Jabir, how about we write it as a Persistent Condition caused by failed Unmada rolls that makes it really hard or even impossible to properly convey your worldview to mortals without turning them into Beholden?
                          Well, I've always seen Jabir not as an outside force corrupting your dialog, but rather the Genius slipping into their own personal jargon and speaking their thoughts out loud. It isn't a communications cipher so much as them talking in Trek Technobabble, and everyone else thinking them weird or not as clever as they think.

I'd say High Restraint Genii are just better at reigning that in, and "dumbing down" or translating it to "normal" speech. Low Restraint doesn't care, and those "suffering from" Unmada simply can't tell the difference.

Exelixi can amp up your persuasive skills to try and BS past it, and Epikrato can mind control people in agreeing, but if pressed they won't be able to articulate what you convinced them of. That can be problematic for anything longer than the immediate Scene.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                            Well, I've always seen Jabir not as an outside force corrupting your dialog, but rather the Genius slipping into their own personal jargon and speaking their thoughts out loud. It isn't a communications cipher so much as them talking in Trek Technobabble, and everyone else thinking them weird or not as clever as they think.

I'd say High Restraint Genii are just better at reigning that in, and "dumbing down" or translating it to "normal" speech. Low Restraint doesn't care, and those "suffering from" Unmada simply can't tell the difference.

Exelixi can amp up your persuasive skills to try and BS past it, and Epikrato can mind control people in agreeing, but if pressed they won't be able to articulate what you convinced them of. That can be problematic for anything longer than the immediate Scene.
                            Then the Jabir Condition should reflect that and have actual mechanical weight. Simply applying dice penalties does not cover it, I believe. Something like...

Jabir (Persistent)
                            You cannot properly convey the details of your worldview to mortals without the risk of turning them into Beholden. Whenever mortals must roll for becoming Beholden as a result of your actions, they achieve Exceptional Success with 3 Successes. You cannot have a Perfect Impression for Social Maneuvering against mortals who are not specifically your Beholden, and they have [your Inspiration/2 round up] additional Doors to open for the purposes of convincing them of your worldview's legitimacy.
                            Possible Sources: Dramatically Failing an Unmada roll, mysterious cases of Inspiration compelling you to build Wonders you do not yet understand
                            Beat: Risk turning someone into a Beholden or bypassing the restrictions on Social Maneuvering through abnormal or unethical means
                            Resolution: Achieve an Exceptional Success on losing or gaining Restraint

Comment

Then the Jabir Condition should reflect that and have actual mechanical weight. Simply applying dice penalties does not cover it, I believe. Something like...

Jabir (Persistent)
                              You cannot properly convey the details of your worldview to mortals without the risk of turning them into Beholden. Whenever mortals must roll for becoming Beholden as a result of your actions, they achieve Exceptional Success with 3 Successes. You cannot have a Perfect Impression for Social Maneuvering against mortals who are not specifically your Beholden, and they have [your Inspiration/2 round up] additional Doors to open for the purposes of convincing them of your worldview's legitimacy.
                              Possible Sources: Dramatically Failing an Unmada roll, mysterious cases of Inspiration compelling you to build Wonders you do not yet understand
                              Beat: Risk turning someone into a Beholden or bypassing the restrictions on Social Maneuvering through abnormal or unethical means
                              Resolution: Achieve an Exceptional Success on losing or gaining Restraint
                              Eh, personally, I'm not sure mechanizing (or making it that easy) Becoming Beholden like that is ideal. I think increasing Doors is fine (possibly instead of or in addition to Social penalties).

Making it a Condition turns it into a transient things, as opposed to a Fact-of-Life for a Genius. Not sure if that is a/the goal.

What do the rest of the inmates contributors on this project think?

Comment

• Anything I can do to help with this project? I loved Genius 1e and would love to see it brought up to 2e.

Comment

Working...
                                X