No announcement yet.

Heroic Fansplat Community Collab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does Fated sound for an adjective? Something that you get a lot in the Norse and Greek epics is the acceptance of fate, something that is very difficult for modern people to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKnight1224 View Post
      [snip]

Does that help?
      Yes, I've got a much better picture of what you're looking for. Others may have said this in the previous thread, but you should really look at David Hill's Fury: The Scourge, which touches on a lot of similar concepts.

Onyx Path Moderator
      Mod Voice is RED*
      *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
      Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Ok. Yes. Let's work on getting Fury: The Scourge playable. If this ever becomes playable it would be a game I'd play the s*** out of!

Glorious Useless-Post Prana
        Cost: 2m; Mins: Linguistics 1, Essence 1 Type: Simple
        Keywords: Mute
        Duration: Instant
        Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Characters Methodology

Comment

Getting Fury playable is a much better pitch than not-like-Princess though personally I thought Fury would work bets as a minor template like the ones in Hurt Locker. A very very powerful minor template but it seemed like something that would benefit from a tight focus.

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
          If that is the case it's just a matter of semantics. There is very little mechanically in Princess that demands your character be a magical girl. You could easily reskin them as 'Paragons' and make their transformations less flashy (exactly like American Superheroes) and most of the thematic problems are removed.
          After all Magical Girls were heavily inspired by Captain Marvel (of Shazam fame) and the Court of Diamonds write up even says that the superhero look is popular.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
          My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
          Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
            Getting Fury playable is a much better pitch than not-like-Princess though personally I thought Fury would work bets as a minor template like the ones in Hurt Locker. A very very powerful minor template but it seemed like something that would benefit from a tight focus.
            Agreed on the minor template thing. Though I could also see them as a playable antagonist sort for Mummy or Geist.

Onyx Path Moderator
            Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Hmmmmm.....

I don't really see it. I mean, I think I see what you're getting at. Mummies and Furies have a fair amount in common with both being commanded to do stuff by a brutal and outdated higher power, but I don't see why they'd actually antagonise each other. They seem more likely to ignore each other due to non-overlapping areas of interest. Same with Sin-Eaters.

That said; the difference between a Fury and a biblical Judge is also quite small. Somebody commits murder so Justice sends a Fury to punish them. The Israelites commit idolitory so the God of Abraham sends a Judge to drive out the false faith. It's a very similar concept but once you move the trappings from "justice/vengence" to religion it suddenly becomes a lot more relevent to the Arisin. Sin-Eaters too come to think of it.

Me and LostLight are actually collaborating on a Minor Template for Biblical Judges, but again, I say "Minor" and they don't have a power stat, but I'm balancing the mechanics to go head to head with top level supernaturals like Mummies.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
              My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
              Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

The angles, as I see them, are:
                • Mummy: Fate is a big deal in Mummy: The Curse, Mummies rise and fall by it, they gain fated affinities and have a bunch of probability altering mechanics. Furies could fit as antagonists through Fate. They are a force of karmic retribution that comes down upon the Arisen, dooming endeavors, accelerating descent, and otherwise dishing out punishment to otherwise resilient beings.
                • Geist: This link takes a sort of final destination approach. Sin-Eaters dodged death, they upset the wheel of karma, and it is the Furies who come to set it straight. Here they'd play the role of pure antagonist, attempting to effectively punish the Sin-Eater for 'crimes against destiny'. It's a bit of a stretch compared to Mummy, but has enough media precident that I think it works.
                Either way this conversation is well off topic. The OP wants a game about Heroic good guys, and Fury definitely does not prescribe to such a cuddly vision of higher power.

Onyx Path Moderator
                Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Not sure if this will fit here, but here goes...

I am trying to put together a splat that's inspired by Ubisoft's Assassins, the Shadowhunters from Mortal Instruments, the Grimms, and (partially) the Imbued and Shih from the Classical World of Darkness. It's supposed to represent specific lineages of hunters with inherent supernatural endowments (not unlike the Children of the Seventh Generation) that stem from a generational pact with powerful spirits (either Shadow or Astral entities, not sure yet). And I also wanted to incorporate the concept of favored enemies from D&D's Ranger class, to reflect how the Striders' abilities are geared towards fighting (or, at least, interacting on a level playing field with) a specific supernatural type.

I'll be looking into some of the stuff in the Mirrors book soon, but I think your concepts might overlap somewhat with mine. Hopefully, that's not a bad thing.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                    How does Fated sound for an adjective? Something that you get a lot in the Norse and Greek epics is the acceptance of fate, something that is very difficult for modern people to do.
                    I quite like it, thanks!

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
                    Yes, I've got a much better picture of what you're looking for. Others may have said this in the previous thread, but you should really look at David Hill's Fury: The Scourge, which touches on a lot of similar concepts.
                    I had already read Fury and I found it... somewhat narrow in scope. It was a bit too focused on murder, violence and vengeance. And if one were to expand the scope to include other ways to help people and make the world a better place, well, I feel like it wouldn't be Fury anymore, and I'd be doing a disservice to David Hill.

I don't mind that these Fated people have to engage in violence and murder, but it honestly can't be the core of their purpose. The difference between Furies and the Fated is substantial in tone and mood, even if some of the themes are similar.

Maybe there could be room in the community for a dual, sibling project? The Furies would be the hand of Fate that hands out punishment, while the other splat would be the hand that delivers good fortune, often at the cost of the deliverer's suffering.

Some Greek inspiration for the second splat:

The Moirai are the obvious one, but their focus on the extend of a human life might not hit the right tone for the splat.
                    Heimarmene is the goddess of Fate as causality in general, over the individual destiny of people. Might work as the "patron" of both Furies and the other splat.
                    Tyche is the goddess of good luck and sudden twists of fortune, this approaches the idea of the splat most closely but doesn't have an associated "creature."

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                    I'll be looking into some of the stuff in the Mirrors book soon, but I think your concepts might overlap somewhat with mine. Hopefully, that's not a bad thing.
                    I think the concepts are sufficiently different that they might not overlap much, if at all, but I'll be happy to help you get help for your project.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKnight1224 View Post
                      I think the concepts are sufficiently different that they might not overlap much, if at all, but I'll be happy to help you get help for your project.
                      Thanks Appreciate it. Right now, I'm using a homebrew template a friend of mine made for her campaign as a basis, and I'm stripping it down to a few ideas I want to carry over to my Striders. Any ideas you could contribute would be welcome. But I just need to work out a rough draft, for the time being.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                        Thanks Appreciate it. Right now, I'm using a homebrew template a friend of mine made for her campaign as a basis, and I'm stripping it down to a few ideas I want to carry over to my Striders. Any ideas you could contribute would be welcome. But I just need to work out a rough draft, for the time being.
                        Sounds good! I'm working on a major splat of my own, so I can sympathise with the sheer amount of work involved. I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with the Assassin's Creed series beyond the basic concept, or with the Grimm show. I definitely hope that it catches someone's eye and you get some feedback.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

A year or two ago, I worked on a splat about the tzaddikim. I pulled in a couple ideas: the idea that the city was the backbone of civilization, and so a tzaddikim's "power" was their synergy with a particular city and they grow through the city's strength, and the idea that paladins could have a massive plurality of creeds and this would be more interesting than "organized" religion.

The subjective stat was Conviction, too. I think I tried placing the zero-point at 7 or something (so the scale went from 2 to -7), but I never pinned that down. I never pinned most of it down.

I took a lot of cues from Promethean. Their numbers were too tiny to have the standard y-splatting; instead (at the time, I didn't know about Hunter's system), you'd assemble your ideology and have a general aspiration that you worked to bring your city towards. However, everything else would have a slightly different ideology and a lot of what you spent your time doing would be arguing and persuading people to change their minds. The powerset would revolve around miracles that play off your chosen ideology, where things about it that just don't seem realistic or feasible are disturbingly easy to achieve. (Y'know, like feeding the poor.)

Unfortunately, I lost everything I wrote about them. I didn't get very far; and I'm terrible at content creation; so it's not much of a loss but eh. Main loss is something Social Manuevering could probably replace, about Creed Tenets and how to swap them out.

Since the ideology itself isn't specified, there's theoretically room for stuff like authoritarian "I know what's best; everyone else has to just follow my orders" as well as stuff like "I hear the voice of God; this is what he wants us to do" in addition to the more obvious make-everything-happy-and-nice ideologies. I don't know if that's worth cutting out, or putting into an antagonist thing, or what. Also, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the tzaddikim actually being attributed with their achievements; I like that they're the anonymous "kings and queens of the world", as Sandman puts it, but it also makes them targets for world-destruction cults who want to remove the reasons that the Almighty doesn't rain fire and brimstone down.

Anyways. Ideas you guys can use if useful.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                          An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                          Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Errol216 View Post
                            Since the ideology itself isn't specified, there's theoretically room for stuff like authoritarian "I know what's best; everyone else has to just follow my orders" as well as stuff like "I hear the voice of God; this is what he wants us to do" in addition to the more obvious make-everything-happy-and-nice ideologies. I don't know if that's worth cutting out, or putting into an antagonist thing, or what. Also, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the tzaddikim actually being attributed with their achievements; I like that they're the anonymous "kings and queens of the world", as Sandman puts it, but it also makes them targets for world-destruction cults who want to remove the reasons that the Almighty doesn't rain fire and brimstone down.

Anyways. Ideas you guys can use if useful.
                            This is actually pretty useful, thank you!

I also found this on this website about Norse mythology while I was doing some research.

"Some, however, take this process into their own hands and shape destiny more actively and more potently. Discerning and shaping destiny is the central concern of heathen Germanic magic. While there may be only three Norns with a capital “N,” there are countless norns with a lowercase “n” – norn is an Old Norse word for a generic practitioner of magic."

So, that has definitely inspired me.

"Fury: The Scourge and Norn: The Fated, two sibling Storyteller games about Destiny and Will, Choice and Consequence."

Does this sound interesting to the community? Does it seem like a suitable project to contribute towards?

My homebrew hub.

Comment

I wonder, would it be worth reading "The Myth of Evil" Shadowknight?

Comment

Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
                                I wonder, would it be worth reading "The Myth of Evil" Shadowknight?
                                Hadn't actually read the book, so I looked it up. I haven't read it yet, but from what I gather about it, I think its premise is very much what CofD runs on. There's no "evil", which is instead used as a label to demonise others and justify harm against them. Hence, I've avoided using the label of "good" in this thread (other than when saying "good fortune"), to make sure we're all just talking about different shades of gray.

I think a splat about heroism and altruism is totally possible, but it should be framed carefully. IMO, the enemy/antagonist of such a splat should not be "evil", but instead abstract concepts such as suffering, harm and hatred, things that prevent people from being happy, healthy and whole.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

Working...
                                X