[2E Conversion] Numina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E Conversion] Numina

This will be the main post for any and all Numina I dig up from the PDFs I have that I may try to convert into 2E mechanics. As always, critique is appreciated.

House-Ruled Numina

Grant Blessing Original by ZealousChristian24
    By spending 3 Essence per Numina or Influence dot and rolling Power + Finesse, the Ephemeral Being may bless a target with those abilities for a number of days equal to the successes scored. The blessed individual pays all Essence costs with Willpower, and rolls an appropriate Attribute + Skill in place of the normal activation roll. The target also gains the Obsessed Condition in regards to a single task decided by the entity. The entity can use this Numina to bestow a maximum number of Numina and/or Influence dots equal to twice its Rank. These can be divided among multiple summoners.

Hallucination
    The entity may create an illusion experienced by any number of targets. This may be a sight, sound, or even a person meant to interact with the target. It spends a point of Essence for each target it wants to influence and makes a contested Power + Finesse versus the subject’s Wits + Composure + Supernatural Advantage roll (multiple targets roll separately). For each success gained in excess of the target's, the illusion affects one of the subject’s senses. The hallucination is utterly compelling, but if the vision does something notably unusual the Storyteller may allow the target a Resolve + Composure roll to realize that his senses are lying to him.

Legion Original by GibberingEloquence
    Often referred to with collective nouns suiting the ephemeral being’s purview, this Numen is always active unless suppressed as a reflexive action. The ephemeral being is surrounded by instances of its purview, such as flying insects, floating daggers or spheres of phantom fire. Anyone that comes within [Power x 3] yards of the ephemeral being must succeed on a Stamina + Resolve – Rank roll each turn or receive 1 bashing damage. This damage applies to anyone within the radius who fails the roll, and may be upgraded to lethal by spending 1 Essence. Armor does not help unless it covers the entire body and its general rating matches or exceeds Rank.

Converted/Homebrewed Numina

Binding Vow
    This Numen is frequently possessed by conceptual spirits like those of law and order. Some of these entities may be willing to accept words freely spoken while under duress, while others may not. An entity with the Numen may spend Essence to perform Sealings like a changeling. If it wishes to reinforce a seal, it may spend a Willpower point to do so.

Camouflage
    The spirit has a means of active camouflage. This might appear as an octopus’s skin that can change texture and color, or may be more mystical in nature. The spirit spends a point of Essence and remains still. As long as the spirit does not move, the camouflage remains active — up to a scene. This Numen can be used along with Hibernate to disguise the spirit while sleeping. Anyone trying to perceive the spirit suffers a negative modifier equal to the spirit’s Finesse.

Chorus by Arcanist
    This Ephemeral Being is a crowd of one. For every point of Essence they spend, they may create a duplicate of themselves. This duplicate may act independently of them, taking actions in combat at the same position on the Initiative track, but they all share a single Health track and a single Essence and Willpower pool. Rank 1-3 Ephemeral Beings must have the copies remain within (Rank) yards of the original, while Rank 4-5 Ephemeral Beings may have the copies operate within (Rank) miles.

Desiccation
    This Numen is most often possessed by blood- and water-spirits and similar entities, and allows them to withdraw all fluids from the opponent’s body. The range is 5 yards per point of power. Roll Power + Finesse; the number of successes determines the number of points of damage the target takes from loss of fluid in addition to receiving the Bleeding Tilt. The damage is bashing. Due to their lack of real biology, vampires may contest the spirit’s roll with Stamina + Blood Potency; however, if the spirit wins the contest, the vampire loses Vitae and takes damage equal to the successes the spirit scored above him.

Gauntlet Vision
    ​A spirit with this Numen can briefly look through the Gauntlet into the other side. Roll the spirit’s Power + Finesse. The number of successes indicates the number of minutes the spirit can spend watching through the Gauntlet.

Price of Power
    By taking on an additional Ban or Bane, an ephemeral entity can increase its repertoire of abilities. Each additional Ban can give it one of the following.

* Two Numina, Influence dots, or Manifestations.
    * An increase of its maximum Essence pool by 5.
    * A Dread Power.

An entity may take this Numina a number of times equal to its Rank.

Heal
    The entity can heal others' wounds, typically for a hefty price. This Numen does not require a roll, and requires a point of Essence to be spent for each point of bashing or lethal damage it wishes to heal.

Implant Delusion
    The entity can make someone believe something that isn’t true, or implant a false memory in a subject. Spend two Essence and roll Power + Finesse, versus the subject’s Resolve + Composure. If the roll is successful, the subject believes whatever the creature wants him to believe, gaining a Condition to reflect this. Ephemeral beings who develop this Numen typically inflict the Delusional, Demoralized, Paranoid or False Memories Condition by using it.

Scourge By Arcanist
    This Ephemeral Being knows how to dig deep in times of trouble, tearing into itd Corpus for power. It may lower an Attribute by one dot for 24 hours, or suffer a point of resistant Lethal damage, in exchange for three points of Essence. Additionally, this Numen makes sacrifices to the Ephemeral Being far more efficient. Instead of receiving Essence equal to the Size of an animal, or the Integrity of a human, they gain Essence equal to what they would receive from Scouring the sacrifice to death.

Soul Snatch
    This rare but terrifying Numen - possessed only by ephemeral beings of at least Rank 3 - requires 3 Essence to spend, and a successful Power + Finesse roll penalized by the target's Composure. If it succeeds, its victim immediately suffers Soul Loss as his soul comes to its possession. An ephemeral being can then do with the soul what it will. Most slowly devour it for Essence, regaining a point of Essence per hour spent feasting. For every amount harvested equal to the victim's Willpower dots, though, the soul's Integrity drops by one dot. Should it reach 0, it is destroyed. Most supernaturals may also be targeted by this Numen. And the effects of Soul Loss may vary depending on what type of supernatural they are. Mages, for example, drop in both Willpower and Gnosis without their souls, and lose their ability to cast spells upon being reduced to Wisdom 0.

Terrify
    The entity has the power to strike terror in the hearts of mortals who witness its manifestation. All mortals who lay eyes upon it must roll Resolve + Composure, penalized by the ephemeral being's Rank. On a failure, they suffer the Frightened Condition towards the entity for the scene. A dramatic failure also inflicts the Fugue Condition.

Versatile Energies
    Favored by spirits of evolution and change, angels created with mercurial forms, and entities native to stranger realms, this Numen allows an entity to spend points of Corpus, Essence, and Willpower interchangeably for the purpose of boosting dice pools, and using Influences, Manifestations, and Numina.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-02-2017, 12:00 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

I thought Dread Powers were exclusive to material beings. Horrors can spend Dread Power slots on Numina and pay with willpower points, so ephemeral beings doing the reverse isn't really a stretch.

That being said, why can only Spirits get additional Bans and Banes, while other ephemeral types can only get additional Bans? Did you mean to say ephemeral beings in general but typed spirits instead?

I'd rename Ban Of Power, since it can give both Bans and Banes. Perhaps just Exchange Of Power.

Binding Vow doesn't say how many Essence points are required. I assume it's only one. I think it would be fitting if the oathbreaker received a Condition that makes them easier to track and confront with Physical rolls, in addition to the Ban Conditions. I would consider a few options for boons to give to those who uphold their end of the deal, but nothing as versatile as the Pledges of changelings. At most, the ephemeral being helps you out with its own Numina, Influences and Manifestations, or sends an underling to do the same.

Nice work. Have a Like.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
      I thought Dread Powers were exclusive to material beings. Horrors can spend Dread Power slots on Numina and pay with willpower points, so ephemeral beings doing the reverse isn't really a stretch.
      Okay, I did not know that. Still, I went for the view that spirits (that are neither flesh-bound nor idigam) do not normally develop Dread Powers, and that this Numen actually gives them access to some as a boost at a steep cost.

That being said, why can only Spirits get additional Bans and Banes, while other ephemeral types can only get additional Bans? Did you mean to say ephemeral beings in general but typed spirits instead?
      I was going for the unspoken assumption that it would be something accessible to all ephemeral beings. Though I suppose I could reword it to entity to keep it generic.

I'd rename Ban Of Power, since it can give both Bans and Banes. Perhaps just Exchange Of Power.
      How about Price of Power?

Binding Vow doesn't say how many Essence points are required. I assume it's only one. I think it would be fitting if the oathbreaker received a Condition that makes them easier to track and confront with Physical rolls, in addition to the Ban Conditions. I would consider a few options for boons to give to those who uphold their end of the deal, but nothing as versatile as the Pledges of changelings. At most, the ephemeral being helps you out with its own Numina, Influences and Manifestations, or sends an underling to do the same.

Nice work. Have a Like.
      I'm still having some difficulty working out the conversion for the Numen, though Arcanist suggested looking at the Pact mechanics from Summoners for ideas in polishing it up. That said, feel free to put your take and ideas for converting Binding Vow here in this thread. I'd appreciate it.

And I'm glad you like it

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Idigam have Dread Powers and they're ephemeral. Strix aren't exactly ephemeral or material, but they've got Dread Powers too. So Dread Powers are definitely not exclusive to material creatures, though so far they only seem to appear on entities that are outside the normal scope of the Ephemeral Entities rules.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Idigam have Dread Powers and they're ephemeral. Strix aren't exactly ephemeral or material, but they've got Dread Powers too. So Dread Powers are definitely not exclusive to material creatures, though so far they only seem to appear on entities that are outside the normal scope of the Ephemeral Entities rules.
          You're right. I had forgotten that they were considered Dread Powers. I was thinking too much of Hunter and the new Core.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

By the way, Price Of Power sounds good.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Took Arcanist's advice and tied Binding Vow to the Pact mechanics found in the Summoners supplement of Mage.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                Idigam have Dread Powers and they're ephemeral.
                Idigam are idigam. They do not follow the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                  Yep. Which is why I feel justified in putting Dread Powers as an option for those who purchase the Price of Power Numen.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Added a few more Numina to the main post.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      Which is why I said Dread Powers "only seem to appear on entities that are outside the normal scope of the Ephemeral Entities rules."

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

When we were discussing the Numen, it seemed like something that Rank 5+ Ephemeral Beings would possess. It would give god-like beings more hints towards their personality, as well as granting them access to powers they might not normally possess. That isn't to say that it wouldn't work for lower Rank Ephemeral Beings, just that it would likely be much more rare.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Another addition I need critique for. Inspired by the little write-up on Araska from Dark Eras' "To the Strongest" chapter.

Soul Snatch:
                          This rare but terrifying Numen - possessed only by ephemeral beings of at least Rank 3 - requires 3 Essence to spend, and a successful Power + Finesse roll penalized by the target's Composure. If it succeeds, its victim immediately suffers Soul Loss as his soul comes to its possession. An ephemeral being can then do with the soul what it will. Most slowly devour it for Essence, regaining a point of Essence per hour spent feasting. For every amount harvested equal to the victim's Willpower dots, though, the soul's Integrity drops by one dot. Should it reach 0, it is destroyed. Most supernaturals may also be targeted by this Numen. And the effects of Soul Loss may vary depending on what type of supernatural they are. Mages, for example, drop in both Willpower and Gnosis without their souls, and lose their ability to cast spells upon being reduced to Wisdom 0.
                          Last edited by Deionscribe; 07-11-2016, 06:25 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                            Mages, for example, drop in both Willpower and Gnosis without their souls, and lose their ability to cast spells upon being reduced to Wisdom 0.
                            Should not be 'reduced to Gnosis 0'?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                            LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                              Should not be 'reduced to Gnosis 0'?
                              Soul Loss leads to degeneration.

Dragon Rekindled: The Oroboroi Chronicles.
                              The official reboot of Dragon: The Embers.

Comment

Working...
                              X