Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[CofD] Ephemeral Beings - How can they create Open Condition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CofD] Ephemeral Beings - How can they create Open Condition?

Chronicles of Darkness rulebook goes in to extended description on to how mortal characters can create or delete Open Condition that is needed to Materialize, Fetter or Possess Manifestations ( i.e. being made herself corporal, "hooked" to item or human and classical possession of mortal, respectively. )

The question I have is other - How can Ephemeral themselves impose Open Condition?

Like, for example, I have idea on the ghost that want to kill PCs, by his "bear hands". Image Manifestation is too weak for this, so I picked Materialize Manifestation for him. Ghost will try to make Open Condition for him with PCs in vicinity to strangle them. What would he need to do? Particularly that he does not have Anchor to one location, being bound to PCs and his son NPC.

Quoting of Open Condition from corebook to ease the discussion:

Open
    Prerequisites: The Anchor, Resonant, or Infrastructure Condition for the same phenomenon this Condition is tagged to.
    Description: The place, object, animal, or person covered by a previous Condition has now been conditioned to accept the entity. It can attempt to Fetter itself to the subject of the Condition, or, if the Condition is on a location, Manifest.
    Causing the Condition: This Condition is usually the result of an entity fine tuning the prerequisite Condition as part of an extended action involving the subject and entity acting in concert, for a number of scenes equal to Rank or a living subject’s Resolve, whichever is higher. Using a Control Influence allows an entity to temporarily create the Open Condition as an instant action.
    Ending the Condition: The Condition ends if the prerequisite Condition is removed. Exorcism rituals work by removing this Condition, reverting it to the prerequisite.

Side question - Does Materialized being vulnerable to normal attacks from non-mystical sources, like shooting with firearms to it or attacks by weaponry?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-15-2016, 10:33 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Chronicles of Darkness rulebook goes in to extended description on to how mortal characters can create or delete Open Condition that is needed to Materialize, Fetter or Possess Manifestations ( i.e. being made herself corporal, "hooked" to item or human or classical posses mortal, respectively. )

The question I have is other - How can Ephemeral themselves impose Open Condition?

Like, for example, I have idea on the ghost that want to kill PCs, by his "bear hands". Image Manifestation is too weak for this, so I picked Materialize Manifestation for him. Ghost will try to make Open Condition for him with PCs in vicinity to strangle them. What would he need to do? Particularly that he does not have Anchor to one location, being bound to PCs and his son NPC.

Quoting of Open Condition from corebook to ease the discussion:

Open
    Prerequisites: The Anchor, Resonant, or Infrastructure Condition for the same phenomenon this Condition is tagged to.
    Description: The place, object, animal, or person covered by a previous Condition has now been conditioned to accept the entity. It can attempt to Fetter itself to the subject of the Condition, or, if the Condition is on a location, Manifest.
    Causing the Condition: This Condition is usually the result of an entity fine tuning the prerequisite Condition as part of an extended action involving the subject and entity acting in concert, for a number of scenes equal to Rank or a living subject’s Resolve, whichever is higher. Using a Control Influence allows an entity to temporarily create the Open Condition as an instant action.
    Ending the Condition: The Condition ends if the prerequisite Condition is removed. Exorcism rituals work by removing this Condition, reverting it to the prerequisite.

Side question - Does Materialized being vulnerable to normal attacks from non-mystical sources, like shooting with firearms to it or attacks by weaponry?

First point of Influence allows one to Strengthen his connection to create opened condition.

So for an Anchor of which Influence a ghost has - he uses Strengthen to create opened Condition, and then he uses Materialize to proceed with strangling.

Side answer - yes, but it only takes bashing damage from firearms/weaponry.

My Bloodline conversions
    My House rules

Comment

Originally posted by Griautis View Post
      Side answer - yes, but it only takes bashing damage from firearms/weaponry.
      Clarification: The justification for this is that, no matter how much the Manifested being looks like a person/organic thing, its form is still nothing more than a condensed-ephemera puppet.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

It says right there under "causing the Condition". You've just got to use Strengthen on your Anchor (or on a Resonant person/place/thing for spirits, or on a piece of Inferastructure for angels).

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Hi,
          I have a similar question about the rules:

„Using a Control Influence allows an entity to temporarily create the Open Condition as an instant action.“

But if you look at „Control Influence“ it’s supposed to change the „Open Condition“ to „Controlled“. And not temporarily to „Open“.
          From what I understand you should need to use „Create“ (Anchor) and „Strengthen“!?? Or did I miss something?

Waiting for new Chronicles of Darkness Dice! 🤗 🎲

Comment

Originally posted by Elythia View Post
            Hi,

„Using a Control Influence allows an entity to temporarily create the Open Condition as an instant action.“

But if you look at „Control Influence“ it’s supposed to change the „Open Condition“ to „Controlled“. And not temporarily to „Open“.
            From what I understand you should need to use „Create“ (Anchor) and „Strengthen“!?? Or did I miss something?
            My understanding is that Control allows you to do both as separate effects; you can have instances of the Open Condition without an underlying basic Condition, though most stable naturally-occurring instances of Open will have the specific quality supporting it.

I talked out the Manifestation system a bit here, if that helps.

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Elythia View Post
              Hi,

I think that the Control part there may be an error that slipped by, as the charts always show Strengthen being used.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
              Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
              Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Working...
              X