Pacts for Everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacts for Everyone

Inspiration for this was gained from here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...natural-merits Mechanics are shamelessly plucked and stitched together from Demon: The Descent, Summoners, and in part the Changeling 2E spoilers. I tried to keep it so that just about anyone or anything could use these rules, while still leaving the unique deal-making abilities of specific splats relatively unique. Demons are still the only ones who can Pact for Cover, Changelings are still the only ones who can use Sealings, Oaths, and Bargains. Admittedly, there is still overlap, but I tried to reduce it where I could.

Criticism, suggestions, or comments are always appreciated.

Generic Pacts

The Chronicles of Darkness are a place of mysteries and hidden secrets, wheels within wheels; the supernatural hides behind the ceremony and tradition of cults, fraternities, and subcultures. The supernatural creatures of the world are inclined to keep matters to themselves partially because they would draw attention to themselves if they, but also because it is the unspoken rule of their societies not to involve those who don’t already know what’s going on. Some intrepid mortals, however, can’t resist looking into the dark until their vision adjusts to what they’re seeing. Some mortals seek out arcane power and occult knowledge, building up their abilities through study and their own experience. Others can’t wait that long, and make deals with the numerous things that live in the dark. These are rules for those who need advantages quickly and are willing to pay for them. Supernatural creatures can also enter these pacts with one another, but generally it is mortals who desire the serious boost in power. Most supernatural creatures can take the power for themselves anyways. With Storyteller fiat, mortals with Supernatural Merits can be the one granting power to another. Contracts require a physical vessel that outlines the terms of the deal, but even if the pact is nullified the benefits persist.

Benefits

Assets: The most common benefit of a pact, and typically the one that those who enter a pact are most interested in, is what you get out of it. These are the temptations people are willing to risk hell for. Generally speaking, Assets are supernatural-to-mortal only, but there have been cases of mortals paying supernatural creatures absurd amounts of money to retain their services. The means by which the Assets are granted vary from supernatural to supernatural- Unchained tweak reality, Awakened can use magic to do the same, Changelings witness pacts to the Wyrd, and Ephemeral Beings can leverage sheer metaphysical might.

For supernatural creatures bargaining with other supernatural creatures, substitute Merit dots for powers with the appropriate Experience cost if you so desire and if the Storyteller allows it.
    • Lesser (1): A one or two dot Merit. Increase a Merit by a dot. A Specialty or a Skill dot. Regain a dot of Willpower or Integrity.
    • Medial (2): Three or four dots of Merits. Increase a Merit by two dots. Up to two Skill dots or four Specialties. An Attribute dot.
    • Greater (3): Five dots of Merits. Increase a Merit by three dots. Up to two Skill dots and a Specialty. A Power Stat dot (Supernatural Only).
    Services (Mortal Only): It’s not about what you can do for them; it’s about what they can do for you. When you don’t want power for yourself, either because you fear it or simply because you’d much rather someone else deal with what you want done for sundry and complex reasons. This Benefit stands in for the use of Skill Services (as per page 279 of Chronicles of Darkness), Allies, or Retainer keyed specifically to the other named party of the pact.
    • Lesser (1): An Availability 2 Service. A favor equivalent to two dots of Allies or Retainer, depending on the nature of the request.
    • Medial (2): An Availability 4 Service. A favor equivalent to four dots of Allies or Retainer, depending on the nature of the request.
    • Greater (3): An Availability 5 Service. A favor equivalent to five dots of Allies or Retainer, depending on the nature of the request.
    Sacrifices (Supernatural Only): The proverbial devil’s due, and perhaps the most infamous aspect of pacts. While some supernatural creatures are relatively benign, others are extremely shrewd dealers, working insidious terms into pacts for things the hapless mortal simply can’t resist. The nature of the sacrifice will vary, supernatural to supernatural, and the cost isn’t always worth the prize.
    • Lesser (1): A nearly effortless task to performed constantly on behalf of the supernatural creature. Up to two points of Lethal damage or an Availability 1-2 sacrifice. Permitting the Fetter Manifestation to be used on you as a one-time occurrence. Giving up two dots of Merits, a Skill dot, a Willpower dot, an Integrity dot, or a Specialty. This could be as mundane as cutting yourself off from a particular social group, or as esoteric as disfigurement, sacrificing knowledge, or other intangibles. Becoming a one or two dot Retainer/Ally for the supernatural creature. Accept a relatively minor Condition.
    • Medial (2): A difficult task that could risk a Breaking Point. Up to four points of Lethal damage, an Availability 3-4 sacrifice, or the ritual sacrifice of an animal. Giving up four dots of Merits, two dots of Skills, four Specialties, an Attribute, two Willpower or Integrity dots. Become a three or four dot Retainer/Ally for the supernatural creature. Permanently become a Fetter for an Ephemeral Being, or permit the one-time use of the Possess Manifestation. Accept a detrimental Condition that will cause you more than a minor inconvenience.
    • Greater (3): A task that could risk death and is definitely a Breaking Point. A human sacrifice, an Availability 5 sacrifice. Giving up five dots of Merits, five Specialties, an Attribute, two Willpower dots- alternatively, your Soul. Become a five dot Retainer/Ally for the supernatural creature. Accept the Controlled Condition for an Ephemeral Being. Accept a Persistent Condition that will cause serious issues.
    Cult (Supernatural Only): A God Am I, say some supernatural creatures. This Benefit is rated between 2 and 5, equaling dots to distribute into appropriate Merits. For a Vampire, this might become a Herd, for a Changeling it might mean Harvest, and for a Mummy obviously it goes to the appropriate Merit. What this means for Ephemeral Beings is up to the Storyteller to decide. The pact signatory becomes the Cult Leader, but if they’re killed the cult goes up in smoke- no Sanctity of Merits. With Storyteller discretion, the cult can come with an appropriate Mystery Cult Initiation, which would then add +3 to the mortal side of the equation. A cult leader must be fully initiated into the cult, after all.

Terms

Duration: Basically, how long you are indebted to the supernatural creature. Most occultists actively seeking pacts only take the Permanent duration- why would you do anything less? However, supernatural beings trying to get their hooks into mortals will often supply temporary, but potent, pacts to lure them into making increasingly steep deals of their own volition. Alternatively, maybe the mortal only needs assistance for a short period of time, or thinks they can make due with a temporary power boost. A pact ends prematurely if the vessel outlining terms is destroyed.
    • Day (0): A junkie’s first hit: usually a simply demonstration on the part of the supernatural creature- gratis -to show what they can offer.
    • Week (0): Just enough time to get the mortal to rely on what they’ve been given- or accomplish something important.
    • Month (0): Lasts a month, exactly. Not the supernatural creature’s fault that some months are longer than others, or that it could end at an inconvenient time.
    • Year (2): Great for establishing a longer term hold on a mortal, but without the inconvenience of monthly renegotiation. Fae creatures are fond of adding “and a day” to such durations.
    • Permanent (3): Exactly what it says on the tin. If a permanent pact is nullified, the supernatural participant suffers a number of points of Bashing damage equal to their Power Stat. If the supernatural participant is a mortal with Supernatural Merits, they suffer (10-Integrity) points of Bashing damage.
    Promissory: Pacts normally come into immediate effect, but like any deal, they can come with strings. Promissory delays can be applied to both sides of the pact. A mortal will only give up their soul once something has been accomplished, or the supernatural being will only teach them once several conditions have been fulfilled. This can be useful for the Storyteller if the supernatural being doesn’t have the means to instantaneously grant pact Benefits, because it gives them time to accrue the necessary resources.
    • Immediately or At Will (0): The rewards of this side of the pact only come into effect when the signatories touch, or are effective immediately. Common for rewards granted at the cost of ‘a favor at a later date’.
    • Specified Date (1): The Benefits of this side of the pact only come into effect at the specified date and time. If one signatory dies before that time, the pact does not count as broken.
    • Conditional (2): The Benefits of the pact are delayed until a specific condition is met. Some supernatural creatures will list several conditions, with the pact considered fulfilled on the success of any one. Each additional condition added past the first adds (1) to that side of the pact.
      • Speculative: A special form of Conditional pact that relies upon something that the mortal on the receiving end of the pact doesn’t yet possess, like, say, a firstborn, or a business. This adds a point of Willpower to the cost of enacting the pact.
    Mitigation: Pacts can come with incredibly steep prices, and that is functioning as intended, but it still leaves a lot of mortals out in the cold, wondering how they could possibly manage to afford to pay the written cost. Those already privy to the ways of the supernatural, and especially with the pursuit of power, are often formidable negotiators. With Storyteller fiat, supernatural beings with the same advantages could leverage some of these Mitigations against the mortal, usually forcing them to take on Sacrifices.

Just That Good: Ever heard of the one about the lawyer and the genie? Sometimes, making deals is more than just something that people do as a matter of social interaction; it’s an important part of their lives. Knowing a bad deal when you see one would probably save the lives of hundreds of would-be occultists yearly. Some appropriate supernatural merits can fill in as well.
    • Lesser (-1): Fixer, Pusher, Spin Doctor, Sympathetic, Table Turner.
      • Market Sense, Hob Kin, Enchanting Performance (1-2), Gentrified Bearing, Efficient Dealer, Twilight Judge, Lex Magica. Fast-Talker (1-2). Hearing Whispers, Strings of the Heart, Weakest Link.
    • Medial (-2): Fast Talker (3-4)
      • Enchanting Performance (3), Impartial Mediator.
    • Greater (-3): Fast Talker (5)
      • Embodiment of the Firstborn.
    Initiation: Dealing with the occult to any degree can make you used to quite a bit of weirdness, not least of which is the thought processes of the things that go bump in the night. Access to appropriate information on the supernatural can help as well.
    • Lesser (-1): Mystery Cult Initiation (1-2), Covenant Status (1-2), Court Goodwill (3-4), Tribe Status (1-2), Order Status (1-2), Mantle (1-2). A sacred text. Library [Occult] (1-2), Encyclopedic Knowledge (Occult).
    • Medial (-2): Mystery Cult Initiation (3-4), Covenant Status (3-4), Court Goodwill (5), Tribe Status (3-4), Order Status (3-4), Mantle (3-4). Notes of a true occultist. Library [Occult] (3).
    • Greater (-3): Mystery Cult Initiation (5), Covenant Status (5), Tribe Status (5), Order Status (5), Mantle (5). Highly detailed ritual bible.
    Sanctions: These particular forms of Mitigation are always tied to Conditional Promissory delays, and come into effect if they tried to fulfill the conditions and failed, or become unable to fulfill the conditions. When Sanctions come into play, they last for the rest of the period that the pact would normally run its course unless their effects are immediate or instantaneous.
    • Lesser (-1): Lose a point of Willpower, a point of Bashing damage, a -1 penalty to all rolls, a -2 penalty to one Skill, a -3 penalty to a specific roll. The equivalent of a minor Glitch, a mildly inconvenient Condition. Lose equivalent level Benefit.
    • Medial (-2): Loss of ability to regain Willpower from rest, a point of Lethal damage, three points of Bashing damage, a -2 penalty to all rolls, a -3 penalty to one Skill, a -5 penalty to a specific roll. The equivalent of a major Glitch, a highly inconvenient Condition. Lose equivalent level Benefit.
    • Greater (-3): Loss of ability to spend Willpower, death, Soul Loss, turn Failures into Dramatic Failures, -5 penalty to all rolls. The equivalent of a catastrophic Glitch, a debilitating Condition. Lose equivalent level Benefit.
    Paying for Pacts: Activating a pact costs a point of Willpower on the part of the one who initiated negotiations, plus a point of Willpower for every point of Benefits and Terms one signatory of the pact has over another. If enacting part of the terms of the pact requires the use of a supernatural power, it is used and the required cost paid by the supernatural being in question. Supernatural Fuel Stats may be substituted for Willpower points.

Using Pacts in the Story: The system above is generic and open ended, with the intent of being able to model everything from mortal dealings with Ephemeral Beings, conditions of becoming a Ghoul, becoming a Mage’s apprentice, and anything else you can think of. They’re great for Experience-light games, where a pact grants significant power for the added bonus of an easy addition of drama to the plot.
    Last edited by Arcanist; 03-13-2016, 02:57 PM.

My Homebrew Hub

Love it. I think it could be a bit more clear with some examples of how the various parts work, though. And examples are also great for inspiration or story hooks.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Excellent point- can't go wrong with examples for clarity and as story hooks. This is just a first draft, so I'm obviously going to edit this as I go.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Excellent. You could include something about Loopholes. Those are quintessential to fae deals, but appear elsewhere often. Examples would naturaly include what TV Tropes calls Exact Words. Axelgear wrote a system for Rumpelstiltskin Bargains that includes loopholes. You could compare notes with that.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

This looks good. Liking what I'm seeing in this thread, so far. And I'm with GottaGoFeast, there should be a section on Loopholes here. That said, I really wonder how the Binding Vow Numen can be reskinned into a 2E version. It should be something that augments a pact system, at least, not simply give access to it for spirits.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Loopholes will probably slip in with mitigation. I've got an idea for Binding Vows which I'll probably post here, but it really needs some more tweaking before it's ready for public viewing.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
              This looks good. Liking what I'm seeing in this thread, so far. And I'm with GottaGoFeast, there should be a section on Loopholes here. That said, I really wonder how the Binding Vow Numen can be reskinned into a 2E version. It should be something that augments a pact system, at least, not simply give access to it for spirits.
              There's nothing that stops you from saying that ephemeral beings can make pacts as part of their template. The details would be different for each ephemeral type of course. It's more common to strike bargains with Spirits and Angels, but ghosts and Goetia of higher Rank have their own offers. Free roaming Geister can help you find ghosts who you thought were lost or annihilated, for example.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
                  There's nothing that stops you from saying that ephemeral beings can make pacts as part of their template. The details would be different for each ephemeral type of course. It's more common to strike bargains with Spirits and Angels, but ghosts and Goetia of higher Rank have their own offers. Free roaming Geister can help you find ghosts who you thought were lost or annihilated, for example.
                  All points I can agree on.

That said, to tie Binding Vow in with a universal Pact system, perhaps I can rework the idea that the ephemeral entity that applies it to a Pact inflicts a Condition (or several equal to its Rank?) that reinforce its adherence on the spot? Ban, Cursed, and Obsession are all likely choices for such an effect.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                    Loopholes will probably slip in with mitigation. I've got an idea for Binding Vows which I'll probably post here, but it really needs some more tweaking before it's ready for public viewing.
                    Here's a tentative take for the Numen.

-+-

Binding Vow
                    While establishing a pact, the ephemeral entity spends Essence and rolls Power + Finesse. A person unwilling to accept the use of this Numen upon him may reflexively contest it with Resolve + Composure. On a success, the entity may inflict a Ban Condition related to the pact for each point of Essence spent, up to a maximum equal to its Rank. These Conditions last for the duration of the pact, though they may be lifted by supernatural means. Such attempts must roll against the entity's successes, and failure means the pact is treated as broken.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                    Age of Azar
                    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Something to fit in the idea of loopholes- a new Mitigation called Clarity. Basically, the supernatural participant in the pact outlines what the pact entails in greater or lesser detail, which can give savvy mortals (and/or PCs) a way to avoid tripping Sanctions and specifically avoiding Conditional factors that would trigger Sacrifices.

Clarity: The traditional pact is one where the mortal is in over their head- they swore a gentleman’s agreement with some strange visitor, and now there’s hell to pay for not following through on it. This does not, necessarily, need to always be true. Some mortals enter into pacts consenting fully, and that honesty can give the Patron some leverage- especially if it gives the Beneficiary a hint towards how to break the pact safely.
                      • Oblivious (0): The Beneficiary doesn’t understand the Benefits or the Terms of the pact, and it could probably take them a while to understand what happened. In the case of extremely subtle pacts, they might not notice ever.
                      • Deceptive (0): The Beneficiary understands the Benefits of the pact, but the Terms beyond duration are a little bit shaky. Something about owing them a favor, or ‘becoming theirs’? Ah well. Best not to think about it.
                      • Lesser (-1): The Patron specifically goes over what the Beneficiary gets as their Benefits, and the specifics on the Terms. The Beneficiary knows the sacrifices they will make, but not necessarily what that entails. The Patron may use as much poetic language as they like, but it must still allude to, for example, any Sanctions or Conditional Promissory factors.
                      • Medial (-2): The Patron outlines Benefits and Terms in clear language. Potential loopholes are there if you’re paying attentions, Conditional factors, Sacrifices, and Sanctions are described. The Beneficiary knows the cost of breaking the pact.
                      • Greater (-3): Cards on the table. Everything, down to the smallest detail, is disclosed. The Beneficiary is capable of truly informed consent to the pact, and the more unscrupulous ones are probably already thinking about how they can get out of the Sacrifices without tripping the Sanctions or breaking the pact.*****
                      Quick Guide to Pacts

Two Signatories: Beneficiary (Mortal) and Patron (Supernatural)

Step 1. Beneficiary- Apply Benefits: Assets and Services- things the Beneficiary wants from the Patron. Assets last for the Term of the pact, Services are a one-time Benefit.
                      • Add applicable Mitigation. Just That Good and Initiation apply automatically to the Beneficiary’s Benefits, but the Patron must choose to apply Sanctions
                      Step 2. Patron- Apply Benefits: Assets, Sacrifices, and/or Cult- things the Patron gains from the Beneficiary. Assets and Cult last for the Term of the pact, Sacrifices may be one-time Benefits or reoccur for the Term of the pact.
                      • Set the Terms of the pact. The Duration is how long Benefits remain active for both sides of the pact. A Promissory dictates when the Benefits come into effect. Multiple Promissory Terms can be tied to either Patron or Beneficiary Benefits- either as a whole, or with multiple Promissory aspects per Benefit.
                      • Add applicable Mitigation. Just That Good and Initiation apply automatically to the Patron’s Benefits or the pact Terms. They must choose to apply Sanctions to Benefits tagged with a Promissory. They must also choose to grant additional Clarity to the pact.
                      Step 3. Paying- Add up the numbers connected to the Benefits and Terms of both Beneficiary and Patron, and then subtract the Mitigations. The result should be a positive number for both Beneficiary and Patron. If it isn’t, then you should go back and renegotiate both Benefits and Terms until they are. At that point, subtract the lower number from the higher and pay the resulting number in Willpower points, plus one.

I'll give a few examples per gameline, and I think I'll start with Vampire.

So, we have Jane the blood doll and she'll be our Beneficiary for today. She's a regular snack for Sheryl the unaligned Daeva, who'll be our Patron and in a post-Kiss swoon Jane begs Sheryl for a taste of what she can do. Sheryl has no intention of making Jane her childe, but she recently learned a Devotion from her sire, "The Wish" (Blood & Smoke pg. 148) and wants to give it a try, and Sheryl has been such a reliable blood doll- how could she say no? Since each Discipline is a 3 or 4-Experience Asset, it counts as a Medial Asset. Jane's part of the pact looks like this:
                      • Beneficiary (Jane)- Celerity 2 (+4), Vigor 2 (+4), Majesty 3 (+6) : Total Benefits (+14)
                      That is an astonishingly steep amount of Benefits for Sheryl to grant, but it almost certainly will pay itself back. The Devotion already comes packed with a Greater Sacrifice, the Beneficiary gains the Persistent Enthralled Condition which persists indefinitely. Since this only occurs after three nights, let's give it the Permanent Duration with the Specified Date Conditional factor. The Duration of the Benefits is only three nights, so it doesn't add anything to the Terms. Sheryl's part of the pact looks like this:
                      • Patron (Sheryl)- Benefits Duration [Three Nights] (+0), Greater Sacrifice [Enthralled (Persistent)] (+3) Permanent Duration (+3) Specified Date for Sacrifice [In Three Nights] (+1) : Total Terms (+7)
                      Since using 'The Wish' costs 5 Vitae, Sheryl just needs an additional +2 to her Terms in order to break even. Since she's so fond of Jane, she decides to add an extra Medial Sacrifice, turning Jane into a 3-dot Retainer for her personal use after three nights. Jane wouldn't mind, after all. Jane loves her. Jane needs her. The symbol of the pact is a business card from Sheryl with her personal cell number and a lipstick-stained kiss on the back. In the end, the pact looks like this.
                      • Beneficiary (Jane)- Celerity 2 (+4), Vigor 2 (+4), Majesty 3 (+6) : Total Benefits (+14)
                      • Patron (Sheryl)- Benefits Duration [Three Nights] (+0), Greater Sacrifice [Enthralled (Persistent)] (+3) Medial Sacrifice [Retainer 3] (+2) Permanent Duration (+3) Specified Date for Sacrifice [In Three Nights] (+1) : Total Terms (+9)
                      • Cost- (14-9) + 1 = 6
                      Sheryl bites into her wrist as Jane waits expectantly, mouth open, on her knees. The Daeva feeds the blood doll five points of Vitae, necessitating an Addiction check and giving her a Stage-One Blood Bond. The process is messy, but Jane is licking up every last drop of the syrupy blood that she can find. Sheryl expends a point of Willpower, and slips the business card into a blood-soaked pocket on Jane's shirt. The blood doll rises as a Ghoul, exultant in her power. In three nights, she'll be Sheryl's, body and soul, and the vampire will have gained a new pawn in the Danse Macabre.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

From now, I´m gonna use this hack with Inferno´s demonologists.

Comment

Looking good, so far.

Keep up the good work.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Extremely high praise. Thank-you very much! I think I'll model out some Infernal pacts eventually, but in the meantime, let's see another Vampire pact.

So, it's been a year or so since Sheryl took on Jane as a Ghoul. She's joined the Circle of the Crone, but is clashing with the lead Acolyte of the local cult and has been banned from ever learning Cruac. Fortunately for Sheryl, but unfortunately for everyone else, there's an extremely powerful Strix that's been haunting the city known as Hantu the Sorcerer and she seeks him out for his knowledge of blood sorcery. Hantu, however, is a vicious creature, and his price will not be light. Sheryl wants more than just to learn Cruac, she wants to utterly humiliate the cult leader with her mastery of it, and she isn't really thinking about the consequences right now. Mechanically, this is what Sheryl wants:
                            • Beneficiary (Sheryl)- Cruac 5 (+10) , Initiation [Circle of the Crone] (-1) : Total Benefits (+9)
                            Hantu is old, Hantu is crafty, but most of all Hantu is wrathful. He hates the Kindred above all else, but he especially despises Mekhet and Blood Sorcerers, and the leader of the local Acolytes happens to be both. The Strix will give her all she desires, for as long as Sheryl shall live, but not without cost. She must Diablerize the Acolyte leader for him. Mechanically, this is what Hantu has on the table:
                            • Patron (Hantu)- Permanent Duration [Cruac] (+3) , Greater Sacrifice [Diablerize Crone Leader] (+3) , Clarity [Total Honesty] (-3) : Total Terms (+3)
                            Because of this, the Strix can ask for more- much, much more. Hantu also demands additional sacrifices- a portion of Sheryl's soul to strengthen her Beast to wield Cruac, and the death of Sheryl's Ghoul, Jane, in a horrible, bloody ritual where she must desecrate her flesh and lap the spilled blood from the earth. Because this would also necessitate the loss of Sheryl's Ghoul Retainer Merit, Hantu offers the stone and the earth upon which Jane is sacrificed as an Altar for blood magic, so that she may instruct others in Cruac to further humiliate the Circle, and three dots of the Cruac Style "Opening the Void". The Pact now looks like this:
                            • Beneficiary (Sheryl)- Cruac 5 (+10) , Initiation [Circle of the Crone] (-1) , Altar (+2) , Opening the Void [3 dots] (+2) : Total Benefits (+13)
                            • Patron (Hantu)- Permanent Duration [Cruac] (+3) , Greater Sacrifice [Diablerize Crone Leader] (+3) , Greater Sacrifice [Two dots of Humanity] (+3) , Greater Sacrifice [Jane the Ghoul] (+3) , Medial Sacrifice [Ghoul Retainer] (+2) , Clarity [Total Honesty] (-3) : Total Terms (+11)
                            • Cost: (13-11) + 1 = 3
                            Sheryl finds the cost horrifying, but she's an outcast in the city and she really wants revenge upon the Circle. With this power, she can do as she pleases and not even the high priestess will be able to stop her. Most pointedly because the high priestess will be dead. Sheryl isn't thinking clearly, and she accepts. A few nights later, she straps Jane to a wide, flat stone with simple ropes, and tears at her flesh with fangs and Vigor-fuelled hands, the weeping wounds forming occult sigils, the blood pooling in a circle around the base of the stone in the shape of the full moon above. She laps at the slowly cooling blood, shedding her clothes, painting symbols across her skin with hands still caked in gore. Hantu perches upon the stone, etching it with his talons, and breaths out a small portion of shadow that Sheryl inhales, eyes rolling back in her head as she performs an ecstatic dance, empowering her Beast to aid her in going and facing the high priestess. When the first creature from the void emerges post-ritual, a thing of blood, smoke, and gleaming yellow eyes, Hantu laughs, eye blazing, as Sheryl runs howling into the night.

The pact will endure, so long as Jane's desecrated corpse remains intact.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

I´m trying to create a version of Captain Hook. This one was a detective who traveled to Neverland in order to rescue the children abducted by Pter Pan, a demented Loyalist who regulary perform sacrifices to the Fae with those "friends" who have reached maturity (teenagers) and are no longer fit to play with him, all in exchange of multiple powers: fly ability, living shadow, immortality, plus a whole island as his personal playground.

Since Hook lacked the power and lifespan to defeat such a powerful enemy, he made a bargain with a local Fae, the Crocodile (heavily based on Tahm Kench of the Leage of Legend). This entity granted him several boons (immortality, dots in dextery and sword style, a ship, etc..). However, The price was high, for Hook refused to sacrificing people´s lives for his own cause:
                              Hook would remain immortal as long as he could avoid the Crocodile´s jaws (for He had marked the formed detective as his prey). Aditionally, Hook must remain in the ship and don´t leave it for more than a day in the same week. Finally the deal was sealed by offering his left hand to the reptilian Fae as an "appetizer". The Crocodile doesn´t expect the former detective to suceed his his quest, and actually enjoys the suffering and desesperation poor Hook suffers in each defeat at the hands of Pan, all while hunting and taunting the increasingly paranoid captain to his inevitable, delectable end.
                              How can I put this in these rules?
                              Last edited by Raistlin; 05-11-2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X