Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Colors Of Magic: The Gathering Represent Each Splat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Colors Of Magic: The Gathering Represent Each Splat?

I'm gonna play it by ear, so don't take this first shot at it too seriously.

Vampire: Red/Black
    Werewolf: Red/Green
    Mage: Blue/White
    Promethean: Red/Black
    Changeling: Green/Blue
    Hunter: White/Red
    Geist: Green/Black
    Mummy: White/Black
    Demon: Blue/Black
    Beast: Red/Green

As for the fan splats, I'd say Genius is Blue/White. Leviathan is Black/Blue and Princess is White/Green.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

I'd argue that Mummies are some combination of Green, Black, and White. Green is honestly their primary color; it governs life magic (remember that the Arisen are Deathless immortals, not Lifeless horrors) and the power of tradition.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
      Werewolf: Red/Green
      Interesting you say this because just recently we got a Werewolf Planeswalker with the same colors.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=410007

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
      DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
      Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        I'd argue that Mummies are some combination of Green, Black, and White. Green is honestly their primary color; it governs life magic (remember that the Arisen are Deathless immortals, not Lifeless horrors) and the power of tradition.
        That's a good point. I said White because it's all about law and righteousness, which resonates with the Arisen and the Obrimos. I mention that Path because one of their Ruling Arcana, Prime, can also affect symbolic laws, and is hypothesized by some to be connected with Sekhem. So Mummies might be a White/Green with a strong bent toward Lawful Evil.

Originally posted by Almarck View Post
        Interesting you say this because just recently we got a Werewolf Planeswalker with the same colors.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=410007
        Interesting. Does he have two powers instead of three because he's dichromatic? The Planeswalkers I'm familiar with were all monochromatic with three powers.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

I'd argue Prometheans are White/Red and Hunters are White/Black. The Promethean condition itself is very much trying to understand Red and White concepts while embodying their negative aspects (and trying to reach a harmonious whole), while Hunter is all about using whatever means they have at their disposal to strike back against their foes, using self-determination (Black) to protect the community (White).

I'd say Mummies are Green/Black (focus on the cycle of life and death and its exceptions, balancing predetermination with self-determination), while Geists are White/Black, but from a completely different perspective from Hunters. In this case, White/Black as spirituality, taking both the religious side of White with Black's take on death and the dead.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
            [
            Interesting. Does he have two powers instead of three because he's dichromatic? The Planeswalkers I'm familiar with were all monochromatic with three powers.
            She has five powers. the card is double-faced. She's also red/green because those are the werewolf colours in Magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
              She has five powers. the card is double-faced. She's also red/green because those are the werewolf colours in Magic.
              Weird. The page on my computer only loaded the front of her card. I hit F5 and her werewolf form showed up. Connection problems, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKnight1224 View Post
                I'd argue Prometheans are White/Red and Hunters are White/Black. The Promethean condition itself is very much trying to understand Red and White concepts while embodying their negative aspects (and trying to reach a harmonious whole), while Hunter is all about using whatever means they have at their disposal to strike back against their foes, using self-determination (Black) to protect the community (White).

I'd say Mummies are Green/Black (focus on the cycle of life and death and its exceptions, balancing predetermination with self-determination), while Geists are White/Black, but from a completely different perspective from Hunters. In this case, White/Black as spirituality, taking both the religious side of White with Black's take on death and the dead.
                Mummies need some White in their color identity because their lives revolve around enforcing divine laws. Like I said, the most accurate portrait of Mummies would be Abzan colors (W/B/G), but if they have to stay two-color than they're definitely W/G.

Bonus points for that being the color combo used for weenie token decks, so as to best represent their Cults!

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Fair enough! I'm not well-versed in Mummy, so I concede to the superior expertise.

I am pleased beyond thought that my favourite colour combination (Blue/Green) is also the best match for my favourite gameline.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKnight1224 View Post

These are all very accurate summations. Have a Like.

Comment

You could make an argument for beasts being Blue because Blue is the mind magic colour and beasts are astral-based. It's also the giant sea monster colour, so Makara are going to want some at least.

Promethan may also want some Blue, because that's the allotted "Frankenstein's monster" colour, at least on Innistrad.

Comment

Blue also fits Promethean because it's the colour of learning and progress. If we're going three-colours, I'd say:

Vampire: Red/Black/Blue.
                        Werewolf: Red/Green/White.
                        Mage: Blue/White/Black.
                        Promethean: Red/White/Blue.
                        Changeling: Green/Blue/Red.
                        Hunter: White/Black/Red.
                        Geist: White/Black/Blue.
                        Mummy: Green/White/Black.
                        Demon: Blue/Black/White.
                        Beast: Black/Red/Blue.
                        Deviant: Blue/Green/Black.

Fansplats:

Genius: Blue/Red/White.
                        Leviathan: Black/Blue/Green.
                        Princess: White/Green/Red.

Coincidences:

Beast and Vampire, Mage and Geist and Demon, Werewolf and Princess (!), Deviant and Leviathan, Genius and Promethean.
                        Last edited by ShadowKnight1224; 04-08-2016, 07:53 PM.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

You could make an argument for beasts being Blue because Blue is the mind magic colour and beasts are astral-based. It's also the giant sea monster colour, so Makara are going to want some at least.

Promethan may also want some Blue, because that's the allotted "Frankenstein's monster" colour, at least on Innistrad.
                          I don't know, Atavisms and Nightmares scream Black to me. I just didn't feel like saying Red/Black a third time, so I picked Green to represent the focus on Kinship.

And I'd say Blue is closer to the mindset of the people that start Lineages. "IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!" and all that jazz. But Shadowknight1224 has a point about Blue representing learning and progress. So Prometheans might be Red/Blue.
                          Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 04-08-2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Oh, nightmares are certainly Black, but they're also a bit Blue. They sort of sit right where the two colours collide. Regardless, I meant Beasts are blue for the same reasons Nicol Bolas is Red. It's not really to do with their MO, it's just a function of what they are. Bolas is a dragon, so he's Red. Beasts are astral monsters, so they'll be Blue.

Comment

Oh, nightmares are certainly Black, but they're also a bit Blue. They sort of sit right where the two colours collide. Regardless, I meant Beasts are blue for the same reasons Nicol Bolas is Red. It's not really to do with their MO, it's just a function of what they are. Bolas is a dragon, so he's Red. Beasts are astral monsters, so they'll be Blue.
                              Alright, that makes sense. So, if I chose two colors for Beasts following function instead of modus operandi, they would be Blue/Black, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X