Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Colors Of Magic: The Gathering Represent Each Splat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
    I haven't played Magic in a long time, and now I hear of both this topic and a werewolf planeswalker? This must be one of the better weekends.

Yup. Comes from the same plane as Sorin.

Also, unfortunately, it seem like Sorin and Nahiri are engaging in a bit of a war due to the issue of Zendikar... and well... Innistrad is going to hell. Not as fast as Zendirkar or Morrodin, but still...

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=409742
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=410006

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Also, Sorin is WB now.

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

If I may intercede on the request of GibberingEloquence, for my fansplat, I think that Demigods would probably be Red/White. The first for their larger-than-life stature and the latter for their dependence on and patronage of community and society (although not necessarily in the best of ways).

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
          If I may intercede on the request of GibberingEloquence, for my fansplat, I think that Demigods would probably be Red/White. The first for their larger-than-life stature and the latter for their dependence on and patronage of community and society (although not necessarily in the best of ways).
          Thanks for answering. If I had to pick a third color, it would probably be Green, for the aforementioned community as well as the primordial role that they play in the myths and fables of culture as a whole. As a bonus, the Drasil in D:tE is based on the Yggdrasil from Nordic cosmology, which is a tree that connects all worlds. That's a big symbol for Green, right there.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

I have a feeling that Scelesti Mages would be Mono-Black. The Abyssals themselves and many entities from the Lower Depths would be colorless, like the Eldrazi.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

I find it interesting how both Genius and Promethean can be Red/Blue. I know that it's usually mortals who become Demiurges, but the dynamic between Creator and Creation is prominent in both games. When Victor Frankenstein and Adam look at each other, they both see a monster that must be destroyed. It goes to show how two characters with the same Colors can be similar but not identical.

Comment

Necromancy, because I'm bored and I want to see how the Contagion figures in.

Having read the Changeling previews, I say the True Fae are White/Black as a species, being defined by making rules that ultimately bend the world around them and their personal needs; order the world just enough to benefit themselves and their social system. This is represented in their mindset; their "Touchstones" are, in fact, their instinctive and chosen goals, following the rules that define how they exist because they want to. Changelings are Green/Blue, instead aiming for harmony amongst themselves and exploration of their natures through wisdom and adaptation through reasoned laws and agreements of how they should be. Their laws are survival strategies and mind games with their former masters, not really meant for civilization.

Of course, the Huntsmen are Green/Blue too; to them, it's a part of their nature to be crafty sorts who rely on an exploitable set of mystical laws, because it is their nature; they were born that way.

The setting as a whole is flavored by Black mana, especially the notion that true power requires giving of yourself; to achieve your goals, you must be willing to sacrifice. What you sacrifice, well, that's where morality comes it, doesn't it?
                Last edited by Leliel; 06-08-2018, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Here's my take on the splats I'm most familiar with:

Vampires - Black and Red. In MtG there are non-Black vampires, but I think the VtR focus on vampires being cursed and inhuman cements Black as a natural colour for them. Red represents the violence inherent in the splat, especially the Frenzy. I think individual vampires might remove or replace one of those colours. Elders might lose Red because they lose their passion and have less reason to spread chaos among humans (instead feeding on their own or on other splats). Dragons might lose either colour as they actively reshape their own nature, and probably often adds Blue. Invictus (and Lancea et Sanctum to a lesser degree) might add White as they uphold the order of vampiric society and provide societal benefits to the whole society rather than just their own Covenant. Carthians collectively are as Red as they come, but lawmakers can be White as they too impose order on the night society.

Werewolves - Green and Red. While werewolves still have all the tropes of the cursed werewolves from folklore and movies that would've been Black and/or Red, WtF has a huge focus on the spiritual and on them being part of an ecosystem. This makes them extremely Green, imo. Even their Rites are Green rather than Blue. The Red is less important, but is still an inherent part of the death rage. Rather than including Red in the cost, you could instead add Red mana abilities to Green werewolves, granting different types of bonuses. Of course, there's still individuality. Anyone who forsakes their spiritual side may completely lose Green despite that being their defining colour, probably becoming Red or maybe even Black in the case of Bale Hounds. There might also be a lot of White splashes in costs and mana abilities, representing their duty to uphold the balance between Shadow and Flesh.

Mages - Blue. Everything from their magic to their obsession of Mysteries makes them unequivocally Blue. But I also think they have the most freedom in choosing additional colours, depending on their choice of Arcana, Legacy, role in mage society, etc. Mages in key positions in an Order, Ministry or Consilium/Caucus lends themselves to White. Reapers and the Tremere will be Black. Many Thyrsus who play into their stereotypes will be Green. Red is probably the least common secondary colour for mages in the classical Orders. Probably more common in Nameless Orders without as much structure, and definitely a common colour for the Mad.
                  Last edited by Tessie; 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas for what Beasts would be? Black seems fairly certain thanks to their Hunger and the fact that they're living incarnations of fear and horror, but it doesn't feel to me like that's all they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                      Does anyone have any ideas for what Beasts would be? Black seems fairly certain thanks to their Hunger and the fact that they're living incarnations of fear and horror, but it doesn't feel to me like that's all they are.

Well, each Beast will bring their own flavor to it, but I liked the idea of Blue for their nature as creatures of the astral.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Well, each Beast will bring their own flavor to it, but I liked the idea of Blue for their nature as creatures of the astral.
                        They're also a fairly investigative splat, trying to solve crime scenes to gain access to Chambers,

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I'd say Blue/Red. Passion, insight, desire, discovery, self-affirmation and power of the mind. That covers it

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                            I'd say Blue/Red. Passion, insight, desire, discovery, self-affirmation and power of the mind. That covers it
                            And Blue/Black/Red is the colors of Nicol Bolas, who is one Hell of an Incarnate Tyrant

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                              I was just thinking that

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Werewolves are very, very Green, with a Red by nature, but can potentially be any color in addition to it. Let me try and guess the colors of each of the tribes, and maybe somebody more skilled than I will tackle other splat's groupings?

Blood Talons - Red/White - Warriors among hunters, the Blood Talons get Red because that's where savage attacks that channel their rage for the sake of earning glory in the hunt are, having the gifts of Rage and Strength favored helps confirm that, but they balance out that savage red with a measure of White, there's a military-styled drive for discipline, and a sense of brotherhood among warriors. White is also where I'd place Weakest Link, though not everyone would agree with me.

Bone Shadows - Blue/Black - The stereotype is that all Bone Shadow's are shamans, and it's true almost all are occultists to a greater degree than other werewolves, Blue actually reflects their ban and favored prey in this case. Seeking out knowledge and wisdom is a very blue motivation, and their close ties to the spiritual and drive to see beyond veils only cement that. Conversely, Black is where Death Wolf's fascination with darkness, bones, and death is reflected in her tribe, the necromancers who speak with ghosts, gnaw the bones of the dead to glean lost knowledge, and even pass themselves off as undead if need be.

Hunters In Darkness - Green/White - I was honestly shaky on this one when I first typed it. Many of the Meninna revere nature itself, pride themselves on the ability to hunt without standing out, and embrace the wolf-side of their natures, all Green, which definitely aligns with how they hold their territory's purity to be sacred, even if that territory is a dense urban sprawl. White was harder to justify my gut instinct on. The phrase 'holy killing ground' refers to the practice of Hunters in Darkness making it difficult to escape their territory once one intrudes, showing just how important the purity of sacred places is to them, that they must avenge any violation of that space, in that space, before the offender can leave. That obsession with purity, and strict sense of justice when it is offended, rings as white to me.

Iron Masters - Blue/Red - In many ways, you could see the Iron Masters as a foil the the Hunters in Darkness. They tend to be the most human werewolves, or at least the most interested in keeping ties to human society, and embracing modern technology, which together with a philosophy of cunning change and adaption, is solidly Blue. Red is what represents the quick thinking that cunning calls for, while also providing a nice reminder that they're not humans, and provides the needed

Storm Lords - White/Black - In White, you get the leadership skills often attributed to a traditional Storm Lord, as well as an adherence to codes of honor, and the common ideal that whatever their role in the pack, they need to serve as an example of it. In their Black side, you find a Storm Lord generally has high ambitions, drive to seek out and conquer adversity, and their defining unwillingness to ever show weakness, it's a selfish ideal, and that doesn't make it a bad thing, per-se. All that said, I had a hard time with this color placement.
                                Last edited by Gryphon's Feather; 06-10-2018, 12:05 AM.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Seth; Inept shaman, Wildlife studies major, Recently changed Irraka. Probably the most fun I've had putting my own character through so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X