Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Colors Of Magic: The Gathering Represent Each Splat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

I was just thinking that
    Thanks, though I thought about this a little more and have to admit that Black should be also there (as ajf115 said) since it's both fear, terror, egotism and being willing to hurt others while also adapting your morals to your ambitions.

So Red/Blue/Black as Nicol Bolas indeed. All this translates into raw power, strong egos, investigative minds and the kind of mind-breaking tricks that make people discard cards from and and deck.
    Last edited by Cinder; 06-09-2018, 07:14 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Side note rumour has it WotC will be releasing a MtG setting this Summer for D&D 5e. Slight thread drift, but I thought it tangentially connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
        Side note rumour has it WotC will be releasing a MtG setting this Summer for D&D 5e. Slight thread drift, but I thought it tangentially connected.
        WotC seems to release them twice a year. This would be the sixth one. Do you know which plane is next?

Edit: After looking at the old Plane Shifts I realised that they followed the latest expansions. In that case the next Plane Shift should be Dominaria. That's going to be interesting considering Dominaria's extensive history.
        Last edited by Tessie; 06-12-2018, 09:03 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

WotC seems to release them twice a year. This would be the sixth one. Do you know which plane is next?

Edit: After looking at the old Plane Shifts I realised that they followed the latest expansions. In that case the next Plane Shift should be Dominaria. That's going to be interesting considering Dominaria's extensive history.

Suddenly I wonder what CofD being + Phyrexian would look like.

Other than, uh, "doom."

Comment

If we go with the idea that Beasts are Blue/Black, and each Family would have to share at least one 0f these colours, then how about this setup:
            Anakim: Red/Black
            Eshmaki: Blue/Green
            Makara: Blue/Black
            Inguma: Blue/White
            Talassii: Black/White
            Namtaru: Black/Green
            Ugallu: Blue/White

Comment

Seems solid, would enjoy hearing your reasons for each pairing, though.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD.
              As: Seth; Would-be shaman. Wildlife studies major. Wolfblood.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Suddenly I wonder what CofD being + Phyrexian would look like.

Other than, uh, "doom."
                I think that is what the Biomechanical Nightmare dread power is for. That, and probably a bunch of stuff in Deviant.

Comment

Originally posted by Borne View Post
                  I think that is what the Biomechanical Nightmare dread power is for. That, and probably a bunch of stuff in Deviant.

I figure Deviants have Phyrexian Mana. Their powers often hurt them, after all.

Comment

Also them being artifact creatures would be a good fit, as even the non-cyborg ones were artificially altered enough to be fundamentally unnatural. Maybe Red Phyrexian/White Phyrexian? Red because of their brokenness and instability, white because of their tendency to define themselves only through the eyes of others. Red/White also captures the Loyalist/Renegade dichotomy well.

Comment

Uncoalesced Idigam obviously are colorless.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                        I have a feeling that Scelesti Mages would be Mono-Black. The Abyssals themselves and many entities from the Lower Depths would be colorless, like the Eldrazi.
                        [Returns target Post from the Graveyard to the Battlefield]

I think Abyssals being wrong/lies would instead have mechanics not matching their colors - like discard or paying life in White, Flying in Green, etc. If you know how things should be, they strike you as wrong.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
                          Seems solid, would enjoy hearing your reasons for each pairing, though.
                          Trying to articulate that quickly:

Anakim are all about Overpowering and you being helpless, and I felt the combination of Red (especially with their Direct Damage) and Black is all about power and being in power. In addition, Black is the colour most likely to admit they further their own goals, not feeling the need to dress those up in lofty ideals like White. So I found that more fitting than Blue, which is all kinds of Mind-related. You could make a great case for Red/White, but then we'd miss one of the two colours we said all Begotten should have.

Green for Eshmaki, because I think the Nature theme fits them well, due to them being associated with natural strength, something I think fits Limb from Limb very well. This more more subtle approach also fits Blue, since that had all manners of spells to confuse and mess with people, like a cat playing with their toy. This should also counter-act Green's "Direct approach only" theme. Plus Shroud used to be a thing that I think fits From the Shadows very well. A good case could be made for Black/Green, though, with things like Regeneration and Shadow. Prefer Blue/Green, though. I also feel Temporary Growth, which is most common with Green, fits the Satiety Expenditure of Limb from Limb.

Makara and Blue just go hand-in-hand, and I feel Black is the most fitting of the other colours, giving Makara both "Splat Colours". (Zendikar Kraken, anyone?)

Inguma Blue due to all the mind-games, confusion, and outright ability to mess with anothers deck/mind, plus White for the ability to dress it up. Also, White is all about Order and Rules and Good, all things Inguma call into question while still being somewhat familiar. So Blue/White to represent that.

Talassii Black could as well be blue, honestly, but I felt that would make them too similar to Inguma, because they definitly also have White - they are the only Family with a clandestine rule, trying to get rid of a "brand" by showing they are "good". Black to provide the necessary dilution of that theme.

Namtaru Black should be obvious, and green because survival is a theme with them, and bugs, worms and other creepy crawlies seem like a natural overlap of Green/Nature and Black/Death. Plus Nature and Death can both be pretty disgusting. Atavism-wise, Evasion and Shadowed-Soul could be seen as a fitting combination, and Green has Landwalk and Trample, which seems to fit Infestation imho.

I feel Blue fits Ugallu better than Black because a lot of their abilities and a lot of what makes them as a family scary is mind-related. White, because that is the colour I associate most strongly with Flying, and somehow Eye of Heaven and White seem to fit well together in my mind. Vigilance seems to fit the "always ready to strike, you're exposed to their mercy" mindset, and Flanking fits the "ignores Defense" abilities that are aplenty with Ugallu. White's less offensive strategies, focused on stuff like wrecking your mana, also fits the "exposed" mindset.

As you can no doubt tell, I put more thought into some family's colours so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I think Abyssals being wrong/lies would instead have mechanics not matching their colors - like discard or paying life in White, Flying in Green, etc. If you know how things should be, they strike you as wrong.
                            Maybe also give them something similar to devoid, allowing to be considered both colorless and colored?

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD.
                            As: Seth; Would-be shaman. Wildlife studies major. Wolfblood.

Comment

Originally posted by Borne View Post
                              Also them being artifact creatures would be a good fit, as even the non-cyborg ones were artificially altered enough to be fundamentally unnatural. Maybe Red Phyrexian/White Phyrexian? Red because of their brokenness and instability, white because of their tendency to define themselves only through the eyes of others. Red/White also captures the Loyalist/Renegade dichotomy well.
                              I disagree. Artifacts and Artifact Creatures are not just heavily changed. They're almost always mechanical in some way. Some to a degree (i.e. cyborgs) while others are fully constructs.

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I like this idea very much.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                              X