Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Colors Of Magic: The Gathering Represent Each Splat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm. With Tormented out, I'd say Zeky tend to be White/Red; their emotions careen through Red at its most destructive, but they constantly seek to contain their radioactive nature through White emotional containment.

Petrificati are mono-White due to being automatons guided by simplistic social roles. And Pandorans are either Blue or Black, each one has one of those as their color-Sublimati are generally Blue, lesser are more Black.

Comment

Actually, let's colorize some Night Horrors!

Actaeon: Blue/Black; he's all about using information to become more powerful and safer, ironically for an Aes adherent.

Utley: Blue/Green; his serial lacuna comes from his desire to have enough knowledge to complete his biological imperative of a Pilgrimage, more starving predator than the utter amoral theiving of Black.

Astrid: Green/Black; she ultimately is trying to protect her family of Pandorans and preserve them against an uncaring world.

Abyssal Imprint (Night Horrors: Unbidden): Abyssal Green spell; it corrupts the mind of a person to make them think a mage acquaintance is unnatural and shapes them into the perfect anti-mage hunter.

Comment

Also, I just realized; the setting as a whole is White/Blue/Black.

What is associated with losing who you are across gamelines? Loss of rationality-vampires become instinct-driven draugr, changelings become unable to distinguish between hallucinations and insight, mages become slaves of their own Nimbus and obsessions. What is the equalizer of power? Ability to out-scheme and trick your opponents, to the point where combat is deliberately made to favor the person who most prepared. What do most playable factions have in common? A belief the world would be better if it was run by their rules (with reasonable arguments as to why that may be the case), and a willingness to do what is necessary to achieve the ideal (as in, the self-sacrifcal and mutual compromise kind, not a convenient justification for things they wanted to do anyway). What is the theme of most villain groups? "This, selfishness and personal interest, is the way we are. Trying to be better is a violation of the natural order, and will make you miserable." Belial's Brood, the Pure, and even Centimani (who are all about bitter acknowledgment they can't be better) have that front and center, and even Seers (who think the Exarch's reign is the way of the world, and want to have a good time without hard questions of where they get their power from) and True Loyalists (who let their fae sides and its loyalty to Arcadia dictate their actions) have undercurrents.

The quintessential Blue/Black statement is We are who we want to be. The White/Black motto is Our way is better-for we are willing to put the dream before ourselves. The White/Blue philosophy is Morality through reason, reason through improvement, improvement through morality.

Kind of makes sense why conspiracies are so prevalent in the setting, doesn't it? As is how common magic truly is, if only you look...

Comment

Bumping, because now I am wondering what would happen if the Cheiron group got their mitts on a planeswalker*. Or if their board is composed of planeswalkers, and that's where their weirdness comes from.

*Mostly bad things, likely to the planeswalker.**

** Planar Thaumatech Research UUB***
          Sorcery
          Can only tap if enemy has planeswalker in play or puts one in play.
          Deal two damage to a single planeswalker, remove one loyalty.
          Chosen creature with "Cheiron Agent" subtype becomes planeswalker with a loyalty of seven, gains prowress, and Harvest special rule.
          I'm not going to kill it. We still have so much to learn. - Franklin Rathben, Pelagius researcher.

*** I have no fucking clue how to play Magic.
          Last edited by Leliel; 11-22-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
            Bumping, because now I am wondering what would happen if the Cheiron group got their mitts on a planeswalker*. Or if their board is composed of planeswalkers, and that's where their weirdness comes from.

*Mostly bad things, likely to the planeswalker.**

** Planar Thaumatech Research UUB***
            Sorcery
            Can only tap if enemy has planeswalker in play or puts one in play.
            Deal two damage to a single planeswalker, remove one loyalty.
            Chosen creature with "Cheiron Agent" subtype becomes planeswalker with a loyalty of seven, gains prowress, and Harvest special rule.
            I'm not going to kill it. We still have so much to learn. - Franklin Rathben, Pelagius researcher.

*** I have no fucking clue how to play Magic.
            You don't tap Sorceries, so the first descriptive line can be removed.
            Planeswalker take damages as Loyalty removed, so the second line needs rewording. Players are Planeswalkers too, meta-wise.

I'd make it - Deal 3 damage to target Planeswalker, and create a Token Relic Equipment with Equip {3} and {tap,X}: Equipped creature uses target Loyalty ability, with X as the Loyalty cost.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

You don't tap Sorceries, so the first descriptive line can be removed.
              Planeswalker take damages as Loyalty removed, so the second line needs rewording. Players are Planeswalkers too, meta-wise.

I'd make it - Deal 3 damage to target Planeswalker, and create a Token Relic Equipment with Equip {3} and {tap,X}: Equipped creature uses target Loyalty ability, with X as the Loyalty cost.

Thanks! Yeah, that's probably better.

Also, really on a Magic kick right now-and the CofD can be at least proud, and glad, they aren't Innistrad.

Sorin Markov: "So, you don't think treating the planet as your own personal blood farm is a good idea?"

Invictus Prince: "Nope, we moderate so we have easy access to food in the future, and it's safer."

Sorin: "Nor do you think you're perfect life forms?"

Dragon Researcher: "We're better off than mortals, but we ignite in the sun and need to parasitize others to survive, and we have an immoral, stupid voice in our skulls that drives us insane, so no, we're still working on that."

Sorin: "And you want to kill Nahiri?"

Everyone, including people who weren't in the room: "Dude, she fucking summoned Cthulhu's badass grandma into a universe out of a personal spite-driven tantrum. We have a personal attachment to the planet being sane before she decides to get us too for having had teatime with you."

Sorin: "My brothers!"
              Last edited by Leliel; 11-24-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I am way too obsessed with this. I've been internally bouncing off ideas on how the entire CofD universe is a side effect of forcefully teaching an Eldrazi Titan (who I'm calling Elar'dhi, Echo of the Spheres, Titan of Regret) empathy, promptly driving her insane from understanding the horror of her own nature and causing a universe to form around her catatonic body like a dark pearl of mana, all of it shaped by her dreams, based around one question and its collieries: How can a monster justify its existence?

And then, of course, the issue of dreams starting dreaming on its own, and contemplating their own natures, which echoed in the mind of the Mournful One, which caused her to dream ever more vividly...

As long as she dreams, new monsters will arise to answer new facets of her question. As long as monsters keep dreaming, she will discover new facets to dream about. And of course, many of those answers are garbage or simply never actually answering the question, because it's hard to even ask, let alone put into practice (the ever-popular "Why bother? I'm a selfish git who likes the darker part of me" among antagonistic groups).

In fact, here's an answer from five cosmic entities, one per color:

Principle (White): "A monster who creates order, who makes peace, is justified, for they are a bringer of unity and happiness to those weaker than they."

Dark Mother (Green): "A monster who accepts themself, who moderates what must be, is justified, for a careful monster finds the prey grows healthy in harmony even if they loathe their hunter."

Wyrd (Blue): "A monster who knows themself, who seeks perfection, is justified, for they are always striving to be better than what they were as instinct-driven slaves of their nature."

The First Geist (Red): "A monster who is liberated, who has realized their passions, is justified, for they have chosen love or ideals in defiance of what the world wishes them to be."

Sutekh (Black): "A monster who is truly strong, who treasures opportunity, is justified, for their innate weaknesses and foolishness will break before their soul does."

The God-Machine (Whatever Works That Day): "A monster who serves my plans, whatever they are, is justified, because I like the help. Also, do you mind capturing a planeswalker? I think Shandalar's wandering locality is perfect for transformation into a cosmic brain from which I can study or possibly conquer the multiverse."

Should I make another thread for this?
                Last edited by Leliel; 11-29-2018, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                  Wyrd (Blue): "A monster who knows themself, who seeks perfection, is justified, for they are always striving to be better than what they were as instinct-driven slaves of their nature."
                  In what way is the Wyrd; a fickle and intemperate thing, known for whimsy and a lack of reverence for normal physical laws; representative of the color of Reason and Logic?

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

In what way is the Wyrd; a fickle and intemperate thing, known for whimsy and a lack of reverence for normal physical laws; representative of the color of Reason and Logic?

It was the only thing with a mind that fit. Maybe the Seasons could too-but more to the point, the Wyrd...is a legal system with a brain. It literally works via contract law, mutual agreement, and precedent being superordinate to reality. A contest between users of the Wyrd is a contest as to who understands its nuances and semantic tricks better, especially using Loopholes. That may seem more White, except it pushes its users to more underhanded and cunning thought processes on how to gain maximum gain for minimum cost.

It's not pure Blue by any means (and really, no Higher Being I cited is; the Principle is subtle and prone to indirect action that causes chaos and strife, the Dark Mother dwells in the mindscape and is concerned with how to nurture virtue, the First Geist is, obviously, an undead who gave up some human emotions and became a part of an abstract force rather than be absorbed into the Underworld, and Sutekh is known largely because of his kindness and willingness to give of himself so others could seek power and freedom), but it has Blue elements. Possibly it's Red/Blue/Green, especially given its association with art and fragility of the line between illusion and strange reality.
                    Last edited by Leliel; 11-29-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I really wouldn't give color combinations to X-splats, who have more in common with tribal subcategories. Y-splats say far more about a character's outlook/philosophy, which is what color identities are in the end.

Anyway, Princess: the Hopeful core courts:
                      Clubs: Green/White (even their focus on evolution has more in common with Crossbreed Labs than with Simic)
                      Diamond: Blue
                      Hearts: White or White/Blue
                      Swords: Red (too bad there's no mechanic based on love yet)
                      Spades: Black/Red (kinda like Lorwyn goblins)

Tears: White/Black (absolutely anything for Alhambra)
                      Storms: Red/White (destroy the Darkness, whatever the cost)
                      Mirrors: Black/Blue, ironically enough (a combination of egoism and residual scrying abilities)

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Seriously?! Five pages of responses and no one has mentioned the colour "octarine." SMH

Comment

Hm. I'm reviving out of boredom, because of the Contagion Chronicle hopefully having a spoiler:

The Contagion: We don't know much about it, yet. but it sounds like it may have a similar rule to Phyrexian Mana, something like "Afflicted Mana represents reserves of energy the Contagion mines for its creations from the process of entropy it provokes from dissolution of the natural order. A player may [accept debuff] in place of a Land for paying for the cost of playing this card."

The Cryptocracy: White/Blue, all about use of information to curtail social disruption. (Unique Rule: Puppeteer, showing how they're able to manipulate human society by leveraging their collective influence over legitimate institutions and convince said institutions they want the same thing.)

The Jeremiad: Blue/Green; fundamentally, they think they went wrong somewhere and use Blue analysis and philosophizing to get to a Green goal of restoring the natural order. They'd have White elements, except they also prize diversity and are very supportive of everyone find the path of redemption that works for them alone, showing a very anti-White appreciation for individuality and understanding one size does not fit all. (Unique Rule: Syncretism, showing their ability to adapt their dogma to organize and enlighten more efficiently and embrace of diverse perspectives while remaining a unified and focused machine, with that same openness allowing them to draw on unexpected resources.)

The Crucible Initiative: White/Red, albeit one with Blue and Black members; the Contagion, for the sake of all life, must be eradicated at all costs. They are unified by their desire to eradicate the plague no matter the cost, and they even have the legion of goons associated with Red/White organizations (Unique Rule: Sterilization, representing a systematic, organized purge of every possible trace of the Contagion or their other enemies).

Comment

Working...
                          X