Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We never added Weapon Rating to successes - we assumed that the goal of the roll is to apply damage = damage rating, and each success increased it by 1. Which is why I was very confused when rereading the weapon rating section. I think I will continue doing that, though now I know it's a home rule.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
      Is there a specific rule or place in the book saying that combat breaks the general rule of EX!Successes allowing you to create a Condition?
      Not specifically, but GMC defined Tilts as a special kind of Condition that applies specifically to combat. Most hits that are exceptional successes would also apply a Tilt, and it seems excessive to apply a Tilt and a normal Condition.

As for Wall Running...even with narrative tricks, it feels weird, because it pretty much never makes sense - minimal distance you can Wall Run is 10 feet + 5*2 (as you need 2 in Athletics to even get there), so 20 feet before even having to roll. Which can escalate to 25, 30 and 35 feet. That's 10 meters vertically covered in an instant (well, instant action), with option for rolling if you want to go even higher and climb, which feels...surreal. This made me suspect that somebody either didn't check the numbers, or it was supposed to be something like 10 feet + Athletics dots travelled.
      While I don't care about this in the current Chronicle (as it's a asian fantasy game, so a skilled scout wall running a fortified wall without even a roll is certainly ninja-like enough for the genre), I'm kinda worried about it in more standard and less superhuman chronicles.
      The amount of time it takes to complete an instant action is also an abstraction. Essentially, Wall Run grants the character a certain distance they can climb without having to make a roll. How exactly the character gets herself up there and how long it takes her to do so is ultimately just a matter of narration and heavily context dependent. How ever you need to describe it to make it feel versimilar for you, describe it that way.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

We never added Weapon Rating to successes - we assumed that the goal of the roll is to apply damage = damage rating, and each success increased it by 1. Which is why I was very confused when rereading the weapon rating section. I think I will continue doing that, though now I know it's a home rule.
        So...you're saying that if you successfully hit somebody, you'd deal [Weapon Rating] damage, and then apply successes on the attack roll as additional damage?

Because that's how it works in 2E by RAW, though it's worded differently.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
        Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
        He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Yeah, that's how it works in practice. The difference between "it's base damage" and "it's extra successes" was important for me, because we allow to conjure beneficial Condition on a Ex!Success during combat*, and I planned to introduce a few things that triggered off Ex!Successes in combat - like tilts that downgrade your success rate by one step (Ex!Success into Success, Success into Failure, Failure into Ex!Failure); under the "successes" reading, they would be not near as strong as I want them to be.
          I just like to have my homerules neatly organized and tagged as such, to minimize rules discussions during actual play (like that Parkour thing, where my player went o_o after understanding how much she can traverse in a single action; and because it was combat, handwaving it as a really long climb didn't work either).

*People usually go for Inspired, so they can go "into the Zone" and regain Willpower, and I can usually be talked into a once per Scene Steadfast.

Comment

You could be nitpicky and say that it is successes, but it only applies after the success level of the roll has already been calculated so it has been locked in already.

Comment

(like that Parkour thing, where my player went o_o after understanding how much she can traverse in a single action; and because it was combat, handwaving it as a really long climb didn't work either).
              If it's in combat you should still be limited in how far you can go in one turn by your speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

If it's in combat you should still be limited in how far you can go in one turn by your speed.
                *in any direction except straight down, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                  *in any direction except straight down, obviously.
                  I dunno, depends on the medium. We talking straight down through air? Water? Concrete? Jell-O?

Comment

That was my gut instinct, but then I figured out that she is basically using Instant Action to move again in a way modified by the Merit, which brought her total movable distance to 28 meters. So enough to get to the wall, wall run in it, and then jump off; not enough Speed to make it a safe jump, so she rolled for falling damage, and due to Parkour being awesome and her Athletics being big, she made it like a cat. Needless to say, her opponents were pretty confused. :P

...actually, Wall Run merit references "[ability to climb normally] 10 feet as a Instant Action". Is it a reference to some Climbing rules? Because it sounds like it's the default state, and merit modifies that default state...but I can't see anything like that in the book.

Comment

That was my gut instinct, but then I figured out that she is basically using Instant Action to move again in a way modified by the Merit, which brought her total movable distance to 28 meters. So enough to get to the wall, wall run in it, and then jump off; not enough Speed to make it a safe jump, so she rolled for falling damage, and due to Parkour being awesome and her Athletics being big, she made it like a cat. Needless to say, her opponents were pretty confused. :P

...actually, Wall Run merit references "[ability to climb normally] 10 feet as a Instant Action". Is it a reference to some Climbing rules? Because it sounds like it's the default state, and merit modifies that default state...but I can't see anything like that in the book.
                      It's a legacy reference to the 1e Climbing rules, which are not reproduced in Chronicles:

Dice Pool: Strength + Athletics + equipment
                      Action: Instant or extended (one success is required per 10 feet of height; in an extended task each roll repre- sents one minute of climbing)
                      Climbing an object requires a number of successes in an instant or extended action. Your character can climb 10 feet with each success rolled. Objects that are 10 feet or less in height can be climbed as an instant action. Rolls may be modified based on the availability of hand- and footholds, sheerness or slipperiness of the slope, and wind conditions, all at the Storyteller’s discretion. By the same token, if the character chooses to take his time and pick his way carefully up the incline, each minute added to the roll provides a +1 modifier, to a maximum of +3. Thus, if a character takes his time and each roll represents three minutes of effort instead of one, a +2 modifier is added to each roll.

Comment

As strange and anime induced as wall running seems to be, I once saw a documentary (I think it was on the Learning Channel) produced by the Chinese government to promote Chinese culture and history that had a section on the Shaolin monks (apparently there is a troop of them who do demonstrations around the world) and it showed a monk literally run up a wall. Now this wall was maybe ten or twelve feet high but he literally ran up it without using his hands. Now he didn't run straight up it but at an angle like stairs and he wasn't standing perpendicular but parallel to the wall. To put it simply he was using a combination of momentum and whatever traction his feet could gain on the wall to 'climb' it like stairs. Twenty or thirty feet is probably too much to believe but the principle is real.

Comment

Wall Running definitely is real, it's just that the current world's record is something you beat with the merit automatically - it's 13 feet, and the bare minimum you can wall run with the merit is 20. If it was 10 + Athletics, instead of 10 + 2x Athletics, you would actually start below it, then catch up to it, and finally barely get above it at 4 and 5 dots. That's why I asked if it was a typo.

Thanks for reminding me of legacy Climbing rules, now I know I'm not crazy! I'm kinda sad that some of these are gone; I wouldn't mind a big blue book focused solely on skills, conditions and tilts, expanding on various things you could possibly do with them, starting with classic combinations (press strength + athletics to jump!) and getting more and more interesting (press athletics + intelligence to plan out a fantastic training routine for your boyfriend!).

Comment

Maybe the God Machine has an occult matrix that requires everyone proficient at parkour to be unusually good at scaling walls for some reason.

Comment

Now I can see a complicated sensor-clock-furnace-meter thing, that tracks every wall run meter, and every 42,42 meters it resets, spawning a bunch of biomechanical wall crawling shapeshifting spiders with a side effect of imprinting parkourers personality upon them.

Comment

Are spears and throwing javelins "Aerodynamic" for the purposes of throwing attacks?

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
                                DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
                                Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X