Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • all i wanted was to see if a vamp could get sustenance from drinking a Mummy, so I guess I'm good here. Thanks


    A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

    Comment


    • I see that the Soul Loss rules from the God-Machine rules update is absent from Chronicles of Darkness. Only the first Condition is listed in the Appendix. How come? Were Enervated and Thrall deemed to harsh?


      Bloodline: The Stygians

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        I see that the Soul Loss rules from the God-Machine rules update is absent from Chronicles of Darkness. Only the first Condition is listed in the Appendix. How come? Were Enervated and Thrall deemed to harsh?
        Wordcount. Enervated and Thrall both still appear in Mage, but soul loss isn't super common outside of Mage.


        Onyx Path Forum Moderator

        My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

        Comment


        • It's a bit weird since GMC didn't have any rules for causing soul loss (that I've found) while CofD at least has one Dread Power that can cause it.


          Bloodline: The Stygians

          Comment


          • This is more for other gamelines, and is probably not too simple, but can the Empath and Support Network merits from Hurt Locker be used for the breaking points of supernatural beings? Vampires I could see it working for, Changelings too, but a Demon's cover break not so much.

            Comment


            • Probably a case by case basis, but I would expect it to need modifications or work at a penalty.

              Alternatively there's a Monster AA style Tactic in the newest Mortal Remains.

              Comment


              • How should I read Services under Equipment section? Lets say my character has Athletics 3 and I use it to find Personal Trainer. Where does the +3 apply to? Athletics tests? After what time?
                Other one. Brawl. Self-defense classes seems to apply +1 to Brawl tests. What about Bodyguard? Is this also a +3 to Brawl tests when his with me?


                [2E] Moinen's Homebrew Hub

                Comment


                • So, the DEC vaguely touched upon something I've (and my group, as it turned out when I voiced my opinion) found lacking in CofD material: Supernatural Rites that can be used by mortals. However, that was part of the Mummy era so it did not really touch upon Rites that can be used outside Mummy centric games.

                  Outside of the ones listed as Open Rites in DCE (which included Binding, Exorcism, Summoning, and Warding from the core book), are there any other Rites (although probably not referred to as such in the books) that can be used by regular people without any supernatural abilities or help from any supernatural sponsors?
                  I know of two, at least. Opening Graveyard Gate from Book of the Dead, and the Lure/Incantation stuff from Inferno to make deals with demons.

                  Edit: If it's possible that a bunch of kids finds some obscure ritual in a weird book at the local library and decides to try it out and it actually works, then it's what I'm looking for. Of course, some rituals might include components that regular kids hopefully will be hesitant to acquire/perform.
                  Last edited by Tessie; 03-23-2017, 07:37 PM. Reason: Abjuration is actually not a Rite.


                  Bloodline: The Stygians

                  Comment


                  • Hunter probably has a few. We've been asking for something to boost the mortal Occult skill for a while. There's a few scattered across the books. Immortals, Skinchangers, Second Sight has more.

                    Comment


                    • I went through some books during tonight's session and found that Witch Finders has some gutter magic rituals that can be performed by regular people. Unfortunately most mechanics seemed to be tied to the Gnosis Merit as I skimmed through it.
                      Second Sight also had a section about rituals that seemed like they could be performed about anyone, but I didn't read much yet so I don't know if they're what I'm looking for or also tied to a minor template.
                      How's Immortals and Skinchangers? I though the latter was about a (collection of) minor template(s).
                      Last edited by Tessie; 03-24-2017, 09:19 PM.


                      Bloodline: The Stygians

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        How's Immortals and Skinchangers? I though the latter was about a (collection of) minor template(s).
                        Both have sections devoted to 'already created' templates, but Immortals has a fairly open customizable systems. The Blood Bather section in Immortals, for instance, revolves around people who slaughter others in order to remain youthful, but the system also allows for permanent Attribute increases, regeneration and resurrection. Without having a template. Body Thieves do have a template but you're still effectively human providing you end up in a human body.

                        The Skin Thief is a template, and the book does have minor templates throughout, but it's easy to toss that aside and just have it as a ritual or magic object.

                        The whole 'minor template' structure is needlessly limiting to begin with and I'm glad second edition has moved away from it in parts. Though at least because of it we don't have to deal with people posting mash-ups of however many mortal templates and insisting the entire game is broken because of it.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          So, the DEC vaguely touched upon something I've (and my group, as it turned out when I voiced my opinion) found lacking in CofD material: Supernatural Rites that can be used by mortals. However, that was part of the Mummy era so it did not really touch upon Rites that can be used outside Mummy centric games.

                          Outside of the ones listed as Open Rites in DCE (which included Binding, Exorcism, Summoning, and Warding from the core book), are there any other Rites (although probably not referred to as such in the books) that can be used by regular people without any supernatural abilities or help from any supernatural sponsors?
                          I know of two, at least. Opening Graveyard Gate from Book of the Dead, and the Lure/Incantation stuff from Inferno to make deals with demons.

                          Edit: If it's possible that a bunch of kids finds some obscure ritual in a weird book at the local library and decides to try it out and it actually works, then it's what I'm looking for. Of course, some rituals might include components that regular kids hopefully will be hesitant to acquire/perform.

                          Well, the Violent Skills section of Chronicles of Darkness: Hurt Locker mentions in the Occult section that anyone with the knowhow can make a basic charm that can do any number of things. The section explicitly calls out that you don't need Supernatural Merits to use the system. It mentions, as suggestions, boosting Stealth rolls against a supernatural creature, directly adding to the Damage Rating of a given weapon, and reducing the amount of Vitae a vampire could draw from the target's blood. It suggests basically allocating successes on a roll to various effects. As a general consideration, these charms last only for a day, but this can be extended with successes.

                          If it were me, I'd probably tie it to the Equipment Building subsystem instead; trade dice penalties for effects instead of successes, sort of like Mage spell casting. Heck, if you were the kind of ST willing to push it a little further, you could even make it a kind of mortal thaumaturgy tied to ritual and esoteric paraphernalia.

                          Comment


                          • If you want normal people enacting rituals, have ephemeral entities have bans related to certain actions that they may take (usually in a slasher flick logic) That's how I run it.

                            Comment


                            • Ooh, Ritualistic Bans are indeed a lot of fun. I think there was a great section about them in the First Edition Book of Spirits.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by nofather View Post
                                Both have sections devoted to 'already created' templates, but Immortals has a fairly open customizable systems. The Blood Bather section in Immortals, for instance, revolves around people who slaughter others in order to remain youthful, but the system also allows for permanent Attribute increases, regeneration and resurrection. Without having a template.
                                And they got a 2E update in DEC.

                                Originally posted by Malus View Post
                                If you want normal people enacting rituals, have ephemeral entities have bans related to certain actions that they may take (usually in a slasher flick logic) That's how I run it.
                                I don't quite understand. Could you explain further?


                                Bloodline: The Stygians

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X