Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Influence: Disease 4 . Could a spirit infect a human with a disese for a few minutes. If another person gets infected from patien 0, would they still have the disese and spread it further?
    Im guessing this is the case right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Poseur View Post
      With Influence: Disease 4 . Could a spirit infect a human with a disese for a few minutes. If another person gets infected from patien 0, would they still have the disese and spread it further?
      Im guessing this is the case right?
      I would argue no. The disease was created temporarily. When the Duration expires, the disease created in this way should cease to exist. If the patient zero spreads the disease to another patient, it is still the same disease, they just both have it.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        I would argue no. The disease was created temporarily. When the Duration expires, the disease created in this way should cease to exist. If the patient zero spreads the disease to another patient, it is still the same disease, they just both have it.

I see that i wrote something else from what i meant. In the example, would the other patients have the disease after the duration.

Like this: Influence 4 creates a disease in patient Zero, its duration is just a few minutes. But its a very virulent disease and Patient zero spreads it to Patient 1, 2 and 3.
        After a few minutes, patient Zero is now free from the disease, though i would argue Patient 1,2 and 3 are still infected.

I'd argue that it's the same if you switch out Influence Disease to Influence Fire. If you create a flame out of thin air with it, that flame would seize to exist after the duration, but not the torches lit from it, they would burn on, on their own.

And if im wrong, what good is influence at all?

Comment

I'd argue that it's the same if you switch out Influence Disease to Influence Fire. If you create a flame out of thin air with it, that flame would seize to exist after the duration, but not the torches lit from it, they would burn on, on their own.

The difference there is that objects burn on their own when heated, but people won't have the disease on their own. The effects of the disease would last after the duration, if some one coughed so hard it tore their lungs, they would still have the damage after the disease is gone, if it gave them pocks they may be scarred, etc.

Originally posted by Poseur View Post
          And if im wrong, what good is influence at all?
          Don't use Influence to Create a disease for a short time, use it to Strengthen a disease for a long time. Make the flu more deadly, or make a hard to spread disease easier to spread.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

The difference there is that objects burn on their own when heated, but people won't have the disease on their own. The effects of the disease would last after the duration, if some one coughed so hard it tore their lungs, they would still have the damage after the disease is gone, if it gave them pocks they may be scarred, etc.

Don't use Influence to Create a disease for a short time, use it to Strengthen a disease for a long time. Make the flu more deadly, or make a hard to spread disease easier to spread.

So it really comes down to semantics, if the influence would've been "influence : Viruses" it would be fine, cus of virus reproduction inside of living host cells. Wheras influence Disease would just be the symptoms then from that standing.

The other ideas are pretty good though and i've must say I looked way past them. Leprosy for example with some strenghen on it so it can spread is pretty mean.

Comment

So it really comes down to semantics, if the influence would've been "influence : Viruses" it would be fine, cus of virus reproduction inside of living host cells. Wheras influence Disease would just be the symptoms then from that standing.
              I was actually just contemplating the semantics myself. In a different way though. "Disease" isn't a very good word in this case since it doesn't actually refer to a "thing" as much as a categorization of phenomena.

I don't recall if Created things can reproduce and if so if the offspring last longer than Duration. If it works for a Created rabbit then it works for a virus; if not then not.

Same would apply to bacteria and fungus and such as well.

It would also depend on the being with Influence and what their mind space is like. Do they really work on the level of Virus vs Bacteria? Or are they just a Spirit of Disease? I think that's the most important thing to consider.

Comment

• There are viral spirits. And they're as weird as they should be, just like real viruses.

I think it'd spread.

Mechanically, you could just have a Numen to inflict the disease, and the spirit use its Influence to control where it goes, or weaken victims or strengthen the disease to make it spread faster. If the spirit were able to interact with the targets in person, you wouldn't even necessarily need that, the nature of the spirit itself might be enough to infect a person on being hit. Though thinking about it you should probably represent that, mechanically, with a Numen.
                Last edited by nofather; 05-17-2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Does the Aggressive Meme Numen spread only through in person verbal communication, or does it also work through phones, writing and such?

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• I'm not convinced a disease created with Create Disease would actually come with the attendant virus or bacteria. In the same way that fire created with Create Fire doesn't come with the attendant fuel source.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• I have a question about Open Rites and Open Rite Mastery:

Do you buy Open Rite Mastery for each open rite or once bought it applies to every open rite you can perform? I have tried in several Mummy forums, but people dont seem to lurk in those often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                        I'm not convinced a disease created with Create Disease would actually come with the attendant virus or bacteria. In the same way that fire created with Create Fire doesn't come with the attendant fuel source.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. A Spirit of Viruses with Influence: Viruses would Create actual viruses and not just the results, but Create Disease I agree would just manifest the disease without cause.

Which still has its uses, the doctors examining the patients would see all the symptoms they expect but culture tests would come back negative, the cause of death would be unknown, things like that.

Comment

• Here's a question. Is it really necessary to use the Armoury Prototype rules to upgrade firearms? I was hoping to make a Firearms or Crafts roll to either manufacture higher precision tolerance gun parts or otherwise augment existing weapons for better attributes. My character is a master marksman (4 firearms, both Firefight style and Marksman maxed) and on top of that a vampire with a couple favours owed in the current game.

I was thinking of taking an Assault Rifle and giving it either one more damage, a die bonus, or even just a better range - also modding a rifle for a tad more damage and/or a die bonus similar to sighting in. He has a reloading/firearms bench in his Haven and 2 Crafts.

Rules as written I could make a couple simplistic augmentations with 2 Crafts (professional level) by taking the difference as a penalty.
                          For precision fabrication if required, I have 4 resources and an Arms Dealer contact familiar with Carthians which might be easier.

The damage mod can be most easily explained by changing the chamber and barrel out for a higher cal. Ideally the initiative penalty goes down too (either lightweight composite materials or otherwise making it easier to handle or collapsible/folding perhaps)
                          Last edited by Arduras; 06-13-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arduras View Post
                            Here's a question. Is it really necessary to use the Armoury Prototype rules to upgrade firearms? I was hoping to make a Firearms or Crafts roll to either manufacture higher precision tolerance gun parts or otherwise augment existing weapons for better attributes. My character is a master marksman (4 firearms, both Firefight style and Marksman maxed) and on top of that a vampire with a couple favours owed in the current game.

I was thinking of taking an Assault Rifle and giving it either one more damage, a die bonus, or even just a better range - also modding a rifle for a tad more damage and/or a die bonus similar to sighting in. He has a reloading/firearms bench in his Haven and 2 Crafts.

Rules as written I could make a couple simplistic augmentations with 2 Crafts (professional level) by taking the difference as a penalty.
                            For precision fabrication if required, I have 4 resources and an Arms Dealer contact familiar with Carthians which might be easier.

The damage mod can be most easily explained by changing the chamber and barrel out for a higher cal. Ideally the initiative penalty goes down too (either lightweight composite materials or otherwise making it easier to handle or collapsible/folding perhaps)
                            I think you kind of answered your own question here, but you could use the crafting rules from the CofD core.

Comment

• It's more, how in depth do I need to explain every little detail? Could I give a gun 8-agains (-2 to the roll for 9 agains then 8 agains) is it limited to just raising the damage / lowering the initiative modifier? In the context of firearms and weapons at what point is it expected (as in the norm, not some hardcore or super lax game) that you tediously explain every step of the process in order to justify the roll? What limitations are there to modding/crafting/upgrading?

Comment

• Does meditative mind apply to one or more resolve composure rolls in a day? The merit says any but with the standard rules of meditation I'm not certain if that instance of any is singular or plural.

Comment

Working...
                                X