Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To add to the question above, does Meditation grant any benefits for supernatural creatures, who don't suffer the typical integrity breaks?

Comment

• I dunno the official stance but Ive always ruled that it does, since it's still a breaking point.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by falco1029 View Post
        I dunno the official stance but Ive always ruled that it does, since it's still a breaking point.
        There's a few places where it specifically says you can substitute Humanity or Wisdom, etc. for Integrity - particularly for Hard Leverage iirc. and other things (like meditation).

Comment

• Originally posted by Arduras View Post

There's a few places where it specifically says you can substitute Humanity or Wisdom, etc. for Integrity - particularly for Hard Leverage iirc. and other things (like meditation).
          Its more how it adds to a resolve composure roll rather than a breaking point but I do see your point for the supernatural morality stats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post

Its more how it adds to a resolve composure roll rather than a breaking point but I do see your point for the supernatural morality stats.
            Personally, I rule that it applys to Breaking Points against variant Integrity stats only if the dice pool is Resolve + Composure. So, it works for Harmony Breaking Points and Acts of Hubris, but not for Humanity Breaking Points.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
            My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Gowing by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Is there a trick to creating social characters?
              My group is a bit (read: a lot) gamey so we invariably end up creating quite focused characters, but whenever I try to create a character who is charismatic and/or diplomatic (rather than a mystic, fighter, techie, etc.) I only end up with someone who's barely more than average despite really trying to focus on the social aspects since I want to use at least four, preferably six, Social Skills while almost every other character concept can get by with two high Skills and then Merits (and/or powers depending on gameline) to add extra functionality. I just don't see how to do that with social characters.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

• I find it helps to choose either presence or manipulation to build around, and then pick skills and merits that supplement/build off of having lots of dots in that trait. You can lead by force of personality or you can subtly pull people's strings, but it takes a lot of investment to be good at both styles.

Is this purely a mortals question or are you looking for advice on social supernats too?

Comment

• Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
                  I find it helps to choose either presence or manipulation to build around, and then pick skills and merits that supplement/build off of having lots of dots in that trait. You can lead by force of personality or you can subtly pull people's strings, but it takes a lot of investment to be good at both styles.

Is this purely a mortals question or are you looking for advice on social supernats too?
                  It's a generic question since my problem is having to focus on too many skills, and I've found the problem in CofD, VtR and WtF to varying degrees. (I haven't tried such a character in Mage and Changeling, and I haven't played any of the other gamelines yet.)

Right now I'm trying out different character concepts for a future VtR campaign. A Mekhet cult leader in the shadow cult Followers of Set. I know they are a more subtle bunch by the book, but it's a historical campaign and if I choose that character concept I'd probably work out a more force of personality-style cult for my character. Which means I want both Presence and Manipulation since Crúac uses Manipulation for whatever reason (I personally think Presence makes more sense). At least the ritual Mantle of Amorous Fire from Secrets of the Covenants can boost Presence with your Crúac dots (only a bit pricey since it costs a Willpower point in addition to the Vitae), so i guess Manipulation still is best when it comes to choosing Attributes.

Edit: I would be grateful for more specific advice as well, but I don't think this thread is the right venue for VtR talk. Drop me a PM if you'd like.
                  Last edited by Tessie; 06-18-2017, 01:36 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

• Very unlikely to happen, but one I thought I'd ask;

Say a player is doing an extended action requiring around 10 successes. They roll 3 for the first roll, and then get an exceptional success with 6 successes (totaling to 9). They opt to take the option that allows them to reduce the number of successes required by the number they rolled, meaning they have succeeded the action. Does the additional successes (in this case, the 5 over) mean they end up with the action concluding with another exceptional success? Or does it just count for the one roll?

It's 1 am as I write this, so apologies if I'm complicating matters, or it's stated very obviously in the rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      Is there a trick to creating social characters?
                      My group is a bit (read: a lot) gamey so we invariably end up creating quite focused characters, but whenever I try to create a character who is charismatic and/or diplomatic (rather than a mystic, fighter, techie, etc.) I only end up with someone who's barely more than average despite really trying to focus on the social aspects since I want to use at least four, preferably six, Social Skills while almost every other character concept can get by with two high Skills and then Merits (and/or powers depending on gameline) to add extra functionality. I just don't see how to do that with social characters.
                      I strongly focused one of my characters on social ability in a changeling game as sort of a challenge a few years back. I've found that, while Attributes and Skills are helpful, having Merits and 'magic abilities' that revolve around or demand social interaction are a big plus, they encourage you to start being the mouth because you need to be able to talk to people to get things going. It continued in my last werewolf character, who was an Elodoth. One of the auspice gifts allows him to detect deceit in people, but only if he's been talking to or watching them for a bit. Once activated it lasts for a while but if you're talking with them you can figure out the questions you want to ask to determine what's true or not. The Half-Moon Gifts continue in that vein. There's also neat things like 'knowledge based' powers that don't absolutely require social interaction but really thrive with it. One of the first Changeling abilities I had was one that let my character know the fear of the target, which technically could be used if plotting an ambush but I found was more useful in asserting subtle or not-so-subtle threats. The werewolf had a nice power that informed him of a targets social Merits, including Status, Allies and Contacts, which led to other routes of investigation and potential lies and ways in when socializing with a character.

Without dealing with powers, I've found that listening is probably more important than just being the face. One doesn't necessarily need to talk to everyone, but listen to when NPCs and PCs are speaking so you know when to talk and that when you do it will matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                        Very unlikely to happen, but one I thought I'd ask;

Say a player is doing an extended action requiring around 10 successes. They roll 3 for the first roll, and then get an exceptional success with 6 successes (totaling to 9). They opt to take the option that allows them to reduce the number of successes required by the number they rolled, meaning they have succeeded the action. Does the additional successes (in this case, the 5 over) mean they end up with the action concluding with another exceptional success? Or does it just count for the one roll?

It's 1 am as I write this, so apologies if I'm complicating matters, or it's stated very obviously in the rules.
                        In Chronicles of Darkness those additional successes mean nothing. The only normal way to get the exceptional success result is rolling an exceptional success in one of the individual rolls and choosing to apply the exceptional success result to the whole extended action, instead of, for example, reducing the target number of successes.

Comment

• If a Character gets an exceptional success during a grapple and is then able to perform two grapple maneuvers, can the same Maneuver be used twice?

Say Rowdy Rowdy Piper wins a Grapple with 7 Success, could he choose the Damage Maneuver twice to inflict 14 Bashing Damage?

Comment

• Originally posted by JMecha View Post
                            If a Character gets an exceptional success during a grapple and is then able to perform two grapple maneuvers, can the same Maneuver be used twice?

Say Rowdy Rowdy Piper wins a Grapple with 7 Success, could he choose the Damage Maneuver twice to inflict 14 Bashing Damage?
                            Most people rule that you can't choose the damage maneuver twice, but I don't think there's actually anything in RAW preventing this.

Comment

• The damage maneuver is the only maneuver that makes any sense at all to choose twice. Therefore, it seems to me that choosing the same maneuver twice is probably beyond the intent of the rule.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                              My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Gowing by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                                The damage maneuver is the only maneuver that makes any sense at all to choose twice.
                                If you ignore merits, yes.
                                If you don't, that's no longer the case.

1) Choke benefits, allowing you the potential to hit the target number of successes early.
                                2) ​Joint lock benefits a little as well, though mostly as a kind of delayed damage maneuver, so that contributes little to the argument.
                                3) Small Joint Manipulation benefits largely (crippling both hands)
                                4) Tap or Snap benefits immensely (inflicting multiple tilts if the opponent doesn't surrender)
                                Last edited by lnodiv; 06-26-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X