Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

It needs to be physically there to Blast. To be physically there it needs to either Fetter, Claim, Possess, or Materialize (not including some outside interference or the rule breaking powers of idigam or Rank 6+ entities). All of these require at least the Open Condition to do. Abjuring gets rid of the Open Condition and the Resonant Condition and keeps new ones from being formed.

But yes. If you try to Abjure a being that's 100 feet away from you when you only have 3 Willpower, you chose the wrong method to deal with the problem. Though you can always approach it and blast away its Conditions as you do so. Abjuring is not a long-range attack, it's a short range ward.
    Wait. They can't use Numina when not manifested? Did I somehow miss that? Iirc they only need to use the Reaching manifestation to affect the physical world when in the Shadow, why couldn't they use Numina while in Twilight? In fact alot of them make lots of sense when seen in the context of twilit entities (Sign for example). I guess it's probably a sensible homerule to say Blast or similar Numina only affect other twilit creatures when used in Twilight, but I don't remember it being anywhere in the rules right now.

My Mage 2e Homebrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Flinty View Post
      Wait. They can't use Numina when not manifested? Did I somehow miss that?
      I said they can't use Numina on you.

P129, 'Entities in Twilight can only attack or be attacked by other ephemeral beings of the same type, unless the attack utilizes the entity’s bane.'

They would need some way to affect a non-Twilight entity, which would be difficult near the abjured spot.

Comment

• A few corrections: Fettered ephemerals are still in Twilight Form and are not material, and ephemerals using Claim or Possess are explicitly barred from using Numina.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

• I'm pretty sure the "can only attack other ephemerals" thing refers to physical attacks. Numina like blast work fine.

Comment

• Do you think that maybe a Kindred's heart could be removed from their chest?
            Kept intact, but separate, from the vampire.
            Thus the one keeping it could force them to do as they please or they stake it with a vengeance.
            Good plot? Possible Merit? Screams Cheiron Group or Vindictive Magician to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yelesom View Post
              Do you think that maybe a Kindred's heart could be removed from their chest?
              Thus the one keeping it could force them to do as they please or they stake it with a vengeance.
              Yes, it's an Ordo Dracul ability. Accurately enough called, 'Surgical Heart Removal.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Yelesom View Post
                Do you think that maybe a Kindred's heart could be removed from their chest?
                Sounds like a scale.

Comment

• Do the "Broken" condition

"Apply a -2 to all Social rolls and rolls involving Resolve, and a -5 to any use of the Intimidation Skill"

Applies to resistance rolls?

By this i mean someone tries to intimidate a "broken" character would the roll be

"Manipulation + Intimidation - (Victim´s composure - 2)"

Comment

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
                    "Manipulation + Intimidation - (Victim´s composure - 2)"
                    That’s not a roll, so no. But it would apply to contests, eg “Manipulation + Intimidation vs (Victim’s Composure - 2)”

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• If you were carrying a shield and were using a one-handed gun, do you get the penalties for concealment, or is it assumed you can move the shield as to not get in your way while you're firing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteman View Post
                        If you were carrying a shield and were using a one-handed gun, do you get the penalties for concealment, or is it assumed you can move the shield as to not get in your way while you're firing?
                        Still get the penalty, its more than just moving the shield out of the way to not get it, its taking into account and all the ducking, raising it, using the shield over the entire time your using it for concealment. You could argue you dont get a penalty for concealment from a wall because you look around it when your firing back, its more an abstraction of the time your waiting/gaining the bonus that you cant concentrate entirely on firing back as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          I'm pretty sure the "can only attack other ephemerals" thing refers to physical attacks. Numina like blast work fine.
                          Yep, this.

Originally posted by totalgit View Post

Still get the penalty, its more than just moving the shield out of the way to not get it, its taking into account and all the ducking, raising it, using the shield over the entire time your using it for concealment. You could argue you dont get a penalty for concealment from a wall because you look around it when your firing back, its more an abstraction of the time your waiting/gaining the bonus that you cant concentrate entirely on firing back as well.
                          A lot of things in the system work this way. Remember, taking an action to attack someone isn't just the discrete action of firing a single round or whatever. It's everything that goes into the ~3 seconds spent trying to harm someone.

Comment

• Wait, you’re saying that carrying a shield gives you a concealment penalty on rolls to shoot other people? I don’t think that’s how that works...

EDIT: Yeah,
                            Concealed: A character who wields a shield but doesn’t use it to attack can add its Size to his Defense, and uses its Size as a concealment modifier against ranged attacks.
                            Nothing in there about the concealment modifier penalizing her own attacks.

EDIT2: Ahh, I found it:
                            A character who is concealed and wants to fire at someone else takes a penalty to his Firearms attack that’s one less than the penalty afforded by the character’s protection
                            So yeah, if you’re concealed by a shield, incoming Firearms attacks take a penalty equal to its size, and outgoing Firearms attacks take a penalty equal to one less than that.
                            Last edited by Charlaquin; 11-08-2017, 05:13 AM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Can it be assumed that the 1e mechanic of "zero dots in an Attribute means you can't even roll tasks with that Attribute" does not apply in 2e? I can''t find an equivalent statement in any subsequent book and common sense combined with lack of appropriate Skills makes the potential absurdity of e.g. animals successfully performing Research tasks fairly unlikely.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                                Can it be assumed that the 1e mechanic of "zero dots in an Attribute means you can't even roll tasks with that Attribute" does not apply in 2e? I can''t find an equivalent statement in any subsequent book and common sense combined with lack of appropriate Skills makes the potential absurdity of e.g. animals successfully performing Research tasks fairly unlikely.
                                I'd assume so.

Comment

Working...
                                X