Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Mage, vampire and Demon have descriptions of swarms, maybe others but i didnt check them to be honest. Each description is slightly different though. I would check out the demon core book for the Swarm (enviromental) tilt.

Comment

• Woops, didnt see my own post so posted twice. lalalala.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kavagja View Post
        Are there rules for fighting hordes? If so where are they?

Since you are in CofD section and not a specific game line here is something:

Originally posted by CofD, Pg. 150
        The Horde
        Low, incessant moaning

Background: When there’s no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth. That’s how the old saying goes, and whether it’s true or not, sometimes the earth splits, coffins crack, and the unquiet dead crawl out of the ground
        to prey on the living. Individually, they’re barely any threat: slow and stumbling, with scarcely animal-level intelligence.
        The problem is that they’re never encountered individually,and a dozen or more of the things can drag down even the strongest by sheer weight of numbers.
        Sometimes there’s a guiding intelligence behind the Horde: a witch might raise up an army of undead servants,
        or a demon might lay a curse on a community. More often, though, the dead simply rise and shamble, hungry for flesh, with no discernible motivation. Maybe the town’s cemetery is cursed ground, or maybe a virus escapes from a military transport truck. Sometimes it just happens, and all you can hope to do is hole up and survive.
        Description: The classic zombie horde is made up of a mass of shambling, moaning corpses, usually in various stages of decomposition and often bearing obviously-fatal wounds.
        They wander aimlessly, shuffling about with no clear purpose until they scent fresh, living meat. Once they become aware of prey, they might burst into frantic activity, like a crocodile, or they might never vary their plodding, inexorable pace; but either way, if you let them get close, if you let your guard down for even a second, you’re dead.
        That’s the classic zombie horde, but with just a few small changes to dice pools and Dread Powers, the Horde pulls double duty as modern “fast” zombies, a hive of monstrous insects, or a pack of weird, wormlike hunters from beneath the ground. Maybe your Horde is the result of a virus that drives living people to phenomenal heights of rage, or maybe it’s some swarm of Precambrian horrors unearthed from an underground vault.
        Storytelling Hints: The trick to using the Horde is that it’s not really a “monster” in the same sense that a murderous Horrors and wonders-antagonists ghost or a hungry werewolf is. The Horde isn’t an antagonist, it’s an environmental threat; use it to force characters together that otherwise wouldn’t interact, whether due to circumstances or deliberate avoidance. The constant threats of the Horde breaking through the defenses, preventing characters from going out and gathering supplies, or reaching safety acts as a stressor, highlighting personal motivations and driving conflict. When you’re developing a story involving the Horde, look at your characters’ (both the players and your Storyteller characters) Virtues, Vices, and Aspirations. Look for characters whose Anchors are, if not directly opposed,
        at least orthogonal to each other. Find opportunities to put those characters together in scenes with real stakes: gathering supplies, pushing back a zombie siege, or maybe just patching up the wounded. Put their Aspirations in jeopardy, or make them able to be realized only at risk to the rest of the characters. The Horde isn’t the frying pan or the fire; it’s the pressure cooker.
        With the popularity of zombie apocalypse fiction in mainstream media, it’s tempting to see end of the world scenarios and zombies as going hand in hand. While you can certainly tell zombie apocalypse stories with the Chronicles of Darkness, you don’t have to immediately reach for the “blow up the world” button to use the Horde. Smaller outbreaks of the undead, either in remote locations or bad neighborhoods suffering from urban decay, can create the same feeling of isolation. The ubiquity of cell phones and internet connections can make it trickier, but anything from bad weather, to power failures, to larger disasters that jam up phone lines and hinder emergency response services can deal with those problems.

Best At (7 dice): Sniffing out humans, dragging you down by sheer weight of numbers, anything that benefits from a massive wall of flesh.
        Worst At (1 Die): Acting alone, being fast or
        clever.
        Willpower/Scene: 3
        Aspiration: To feast on the flesh of the living.
        Initiative: 1
        Defense: 3
        Speed: 5
        Health: 7
        Weapons/Attacks:
        Type Damage Range Dice Pool
        Grapple 0B Melee 7 (in group), 1
        (alone)
        Bite 2L Melee 7 (in group), 1
        (alone)
        Banes: Attacks to the head
        Dread Powers: Hunter’s Senses (human flesh),
        Natural Weapons ••, Toxic •, Unbreakable

New Environmental Tilt:
        Zombies!
        The Horde Traits presented here work for when you need to focus in on an action scene involving a few characters and a modest number of zombies, but when you want to highlight the sheer, swarming mass of the walking dead, they’re not practical. This Tilt represents any area that’s packed full of zombies or similar monsters.
        Effects: Characters moving through the Horde are slowed by the mindless, grasping hands and sheer press of decomposing bodies. Within the area affected by the Tilt, characters lose their bonus to Speed (so normal humans have a Speed equal to Strength + Dexterity). Characters who move at anything less than full speed (that is, using an Instant action to run) are subject to an attack using the Horde’s best dice pool. An exceptional success on this attack inflicts the Knocked Down Tilt.
        In addition, if the zombies are especially ripe, moving through the area might require characters to make a reflexive Stamina + Composure roll every minute or suffer the moderate version of the Sick Tilt.
        Causing the Tilt: Any large group of mostlypassive monsters could cause this Tilt. It also works for modeling the effects of being caught up in a large riot or similar crush of humanity.
        Ending the Tilt: The whole point of the Tilt is that it represents too many zombies to fight effectively, but characters might be able to draw the Horde off (maybe by firing guns or operating loud, heavy machinery elsewhere), or drive them back if the Horde suffers from a Bane (if your zombies are afraid of fire, for example, Molotov cocktails or simply carrying torches might disperse them).

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
        "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

• Is there a way to analyze the Integrity stat of another character? The fact that a low Integrity can mean extreme trauma or extreme immorality, and the fact that some people can get away with actual murder without Integrity hits, really interests me as a double edged threat detection system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deinos View Post
            Is there a way to analyze the Integrity stat of another character? The fact that a low Integrity can mean extreme trauma or extreme immorality, and the fact that some people can get away with actual murder without Integrity hits, really interests me as a double edged threat detection system.
            I'm pretty sure most supernaturals have abilities to tell. If they aren't straight 'give me a number' abilities they have sideways methods.

Flatscan humans can use the Empath Merit from Hurt Locker, which requires a Wits+Empathy roll. It's not a Supernatural Merit, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
              Flatscan humans can use the Empath Merit from Hurt Locker, which requires a Wits+Empathy roll. It's not a Supernatural Merit, either.
              Wow perfect, I overlooked that (was just looking at the way it helps with Breaking Points). Thanks!

Comment

• I'm sure this has been covered already, probably somewhere in this thread. I've searched the specific topics (I.E. Changeling the Lost, Hunter the Vigil, all those) and I see a lot of 2E threads, which leads to my question. I know (or at least I think I know) that 2E versions Changeling, Hunter, and Geist are in the works, so I was wondering if there were any release dates posted anywhere, or a general period of time when to expect these. Oh, and is there going to be a 2E Mummy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Snyder View Post
                  I'm sure this has been covered already, probably somewhere in this thread. I've searched the specific topics (I.E. Changeling the Lost, Hunter the Vigil, all those) and I see a lot of 2E threads, which leads to my question. I know (or at least I think I know) that 2E versions Changeling, Hunter, and Geist are in the works, so I was wondering if there were any release dates posted anywhere, or a general period of time when to expect these. Oh, and is there going to be a 2E Mummy?
                  No release dates.
                  Mummy is getting a 2ED.
                  The text for Changeling 2ED is already fully available to anyone that backed the KS.

Comment

• Something that's not entirely clear to me, but can ephemeral beings use their Numina to affect the physical world at all times, or only if they are Manifested?

Comment

• Numina need to be used in conjunction with Reaching to bypass the gauntlet.

Comment

• The Gauntlet is the membrane between the material world and the Shadow Realm, though. Ephemeral beings who are in Twilight are in the material world, just out of step with it. Off the top of my head, I would say an unmanifested ephemeral being can affect material things outside Twilight with their Numina, but note that some Numina have requirements that make this difficult. For example, Awe requires the subject to be able to see the entity, and Aggressive Meme requires the entity to be able to communicate with the subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beriorn View Post
                          Something that's not entirely clear to me, but can ephemeral beings use their Numina to affect the physical world at all times, or only if they are Manifested?
                          Technically, Twilight Form is a Manifestation, so ephemeral brings in the material world are always Manifested.

If an ephemeral being is in the material world, it can use its Numena to affect other beings and objects in the material world, provided it meets any criteria for the Numen in question. For example, Awe requires the subject to see the being using it, so the being would need to Manifest with Image or Materialize or something so it could be seen. However, unless otherwise specified, an ephemeral being doesn’t need to be Materialized in order to use its Numina.

Affecting entities and objects in other worlds with Numina is more complicated. For example, a spirit in the Shadow needs to be Reaching in order to affect the Material with its Numina and vise-versa.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                            If an ephemeral being is in the material world, it can use its Numena to affect other beings and objects in the material world, provided it meets any criteria for the Numen in question. For example, Awe requires the subject to see the being using it, so the being would need to Manifest with Image or Materialize or something so it could be seen. However, unless otherwise specified, an ephemeral being doesn’t need to be Materialized in order to use its Numina.
                            So an unmanifested can use any of its powers on a target in the material world as long as said power does not require the victim to see/smell/hear/touch the user, then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                              Technically, Twilight Form is a Manifestation, so ephemeral brings in the material world are always Manifested.
                              Except while Twilight Form is listed as a Manifestation it's actually never treated as one. If it were the word Manifested wouldn't have any meaning because either the ephemeral is in an ephemeral realm, or it's in the material where it's always Manifested.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                                Except while Twilight Form is listed as a Manifestation it's actually never treated as one. If it were the word Manifested wouldn't have any meaning because either the ephemeral is in an ephemeral realm, or it's in the material where it's always Manifested.
                                Twilight Form is treated as a Manifestation unless you presuppose a definition for the word Manifestation (such as its 1e definition), rather than defining it based on what Manifestations actually do in 2e. Twilight Form, Gauntlet Breach, Reaching, Fetter, Claim, and Gate are all Manifestations. What these powers have in common is that they are all either means of entering the material or ways of existing within the material. So, in second edition, at least, Manifested does seem to mean “existing in the material world.”

Reaching would seem to be an exception to this definition, but again, only if we presuppose its 1e definition. Keeping in mind that in 2e, Reaching is also the thing werewolves do to cross the gauntlet (as opposed to stepping sideways), and there are no actual rules mechanisms by which a spirit can cross the Gauntlet at Locus in 2e, but they are automatically considered Reaching, and the fact that a Reaching spirit in 2e can perceive the other side of the Gauntlet and affect it with its Numena and other Manifestations, it would seem that Reaching in 2e is in fact a means of existing partly on both sides.

Originally posted by Beriorn View Post
                                So an unmanifested can use any of its powers on a target in the material world as long as said power does not require the victim to see/smell/hear/touch the user, then?
                                Again, I would argue that an ephemeral entity in the material world is by definition manifested. An unmaterialized entity can use any of its powers that don’t require touch, an invisible entity can use any of its powers that don’t require it to be seen, etc. Basically, assume an entity can use a power to affect the world it currently exists in, unless that power requires the entity to interact with the world in a way that it can’t do in its current Manifestation.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
                                X