Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not normally.

It's supposed to give you a Condition, like Inspired, but something relevant to the situation. And various abilities might give you a perk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emerick View Post
      So since in the new changeling there is a merit that says you get Exceptional Success on three to inflict damage with elemental damage instead of Five, But is there any advantage to having and exceptional success on attacks rolls ?
      Inflicting a Tilt without the usual requirements sounds like a common house rule.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• As is granting a Willpower point. It's actually the Exceptional effect for Down and Dirty, but we've expanded that to regular combat.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Emerick View Post
          So since in the new changeling there is a merit that says you get Exceptional Success on three to inflict damage with elemental damage instead of Five, But is there any advantage to having and exceptional success on attacks rolls ?
          The only way in which attack rolls are treated any differently from other rolls is that getting more than one success has a different outcome even if it's not an exceptional success. You still get a beneficial Condition from rolling five or more successes on an attack roll.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• I heard people talking about Image/Blast spamming in the D:tD forum and I was confused. I thought that only Materialize and Reaching allowed ephemerals to use their Numina (minus Telekinesis and Left-handed Spanner) outside of Twilight. Looked through my Corebook PDF and didn't see any answers either way. Could anyone tell me what page in which book says Image allows you to use Blast on Material stuff? Is it something only Angels can do?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
              I heard people talking about Image/Blast spamming in the D:tD forum and I was confused. I thought that only Materialize and Reaching allowed ephemerals to use their Numina (minus Telekinesis and Left-handed Spanner) outside of Twilight. Looked through my Corebook PDF and didn't see any answers either way. Could anyone tell me what page in which book says Image allows you to use Blast on Material stuff? Is it something only Angels can do?
              Ephemerals can use Numina on targets in the material realm freely when they themselves are in the material realm as well. An angel in Twilight is by definition, barring unusual circumstances, in the material realm. Thus the Blast spamming.

EDIT: Reaching is for letting spirits use certain compatible Numina across the Gauntlet.

Comment

• What page is this said on?

Also, i know what Reaching is used for. I just assumed it went straight from the Hisil to the material frequency of the Flesh. Otherwise, what would be the point

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                  Ephemerals can use Numina on targets in the material realm freely when they themselves are in the material realm as well. An angel in Twilight is by definition, barring unusual circumstances, in the material realm. Thus the Blast spamming.
                  "Entities in Twilight can only attack or be attacked by other ephemeral beings of the same type, unless the attack utilizes the entity’s bane" feels salient to the discussion, given that the effects of the Image Manifestation are "the entity's Twilight form becomes visible to material entities."

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    "Entities in Twilight can only attack or be attacked by other ephemeral beings of the same type, unless the attack utilizes the entity’s bane" feels salient to the discussion, given that the effects of the Image Manifestation are "the entity's Twilight form becomes visible to material entities."
                    Oops.

But does that include Numina as well, or only physical attacks made by ephemerals? The two seem to be distinct.

Comment

• It's about physical attacks. Numina and Influences shouldn't have any trouble affecting material things while the entity is in Twilight, just like a mage's spells or a vampire's non-physical Disciplines can affect beings in Twilight without additional rules.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

But does that include Numina as well, or only physical attacks made by ephemerals? The two seem to be distinct.
                        Blast is explicitly compared to a weapon and other Numina make a point of specifying that the entity needs to be in a state to meaningfully perform the action they rely upon, to say nothing of how "you take damage out of nowhere" isn't really supported by the fiction or the literature that inspired it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          It's about physical attacks. Numina and Influences shouldn't have any trouble affecting material things while the entity is in Twilight, just like a mage's spells or a vampire's non-physical Disciplines can affect beings in Twilight without additional rules.
                          This is an interpretation that has come up a few times in the forum but doesn't seem reflected by the books, which call out specific spells or abilities for effecting entities in Twilight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            Blast is explicitly compared to a weapon and other Numina make a point of specifying that the entity needs to be in a state to meaningfully perform the action they rely upon, to say nothing of how "you take damage out of nowhere" isn't really supported by the fiction or the literature that inspired it.
                            Wasn’t convinced until you said how “take damage out of nowhere” isn’t probably the intention.

But in this case, what’s your call on the Image+Blast combo that came up in the Demon threads as one of the means to make angels immediately threatening? Or any other ephemerals doing that, for that matter? Just curious here.

Comment

But in this case, what’s your call on the Image+Blast combo that came up in the Demon threads as one of the means to make angels immediately threatening? Or any other ephemerals doing that, for that matter? Just curious here.
                              Angels have ephemeral resilience and omnipresent divine backing stopping them from being more than a half-step away from the characters where the story demands it, the Demiurge's own obscurity and lack of honorary Rank mechanics safeguarding their individual weaknesses from exploitation, and the ability to be nigh-on undetectable until it's too late unless the characters are forewarned about an angel due to the God-Machine's capacity to just give them a bleed-free cover identity if they happen to need one. Existing visibly in Twilight doesn't seem like it would actually make the ephemeral attacks of a loyalist (or any other Twilight-dwelling entity) solid to material beings and I don't think they really need such an exploit.

The God-Machine is the very system a demon inhabits, and even a lesser angel is a tendril of the larger-scale threat of Its will — it's never just the one loyalist you have to worry about. Further, an angel built to be an immediate threat is an immediate threat in its specific designed context, and the context angels the Machine makes to safeguard things are designed to be flexible — a versatile and customized spread of Numina is one of the strongest tools in the God-Machine's purpose-built arsenal.

However, Demon is, again, primarily an espionage game; the major threat of its antagonists lies in escalation over time more than big scary monsters you fight four-on-one. Bigger angels are more likely to be dangerous due to what they're present to account for than out of any intended menace to the Unchained.

Comment

Wasn’t convinced until you said how “take damage out of nowhere” isn’t probably the intention.

"Out of nowhere" is a bit of a misrepresentation, since we're literally talking about the use of the Image Manifestation. Pretty clear where the damage is coming from. But nevertheless, Page 122 of the Chronicles of Darkness rulebook states that "Almost every ephemeral being has the ability to Manifest... ranging from remaining invisible but using powers, to appearing as insubstantial but visible images...".

Telekinesis stands out as a Numen which an entity can use without being Materialized, that allows for the same kind of effect (damaging a target), and is most definitely supported by the fiction and literature. See basically every representation of a poltergeist ever. The concept works readily enough regardless. I can see the argument for Blast being treated as a regular attack but the language of the Numen write-up could as easily use combat rules as a reference rather than a literal representation (i.e. "Blast wounds as a lethal weapon", the quotation marks around the word "weapon" when describing its strength, to me could just be a way of stating that the effect of the Numen should reference the combat rules as easily as it being meant to work as if the character were making a physical attack). It's ambiguous enough that I think it mostly comes down to GM jurisprudence, but letting immaterial entities do things while staying immaterial serves the generally useful story purpose of encouraging players to interact with them through the Bane/Ban systems rather than through the standard combat rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X