Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    A problem I have, something Im missing? Someone who vigilante's a Child molestor or serial killer get's no special treatment on degeneration roll's from someone who goes "I didnt like the way he looked at me I want to murder him!" I know I know 2ne edition Integrity, is focused more on mental stability then being a good person just making sure I understand things.
    Putting someone else into the ground is hard on the mind, even if it's self defense, and the other person is a known terrorist with a gun or a bomb. That's why cops have mandatory counseling if they kill a suspect, or service members go through rigorous mental conditioning, and still come out at least mentally bruised when they are faced with actually pulling the trigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      Falling 3 meters only does 1 bashing damage. It would take quite a throw to equal the force of a fall like that, so I probably wouldn't have throwing someone against a wall deal any damage.
      For what it's worth, the second dot of Close Quarters Combat allows you to use the damage move in Grappling to deal Lethal damage by bashing someone into a surrounding structure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Callishka View Post
        For what it's worth, the second dot of Close Quarters Combat allows you to use the damage move in Grappling to deal Lethal damage by bashing someone into a surrounding structure.
        Sure, but that’s the specific effect of a fighting Merit. It makes sense that a character who has been specifically trained to harm someone in a fight by slamming them against walls and other surfaces could deal damage in that way. But as a general rule, I wouldn’t have wall slams deal damage unless the character has a Merit or other ability that allows them to do so.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Sure, but that’s the specific effect of a fighting Merit. It makes sense that a character who has been specifically trained to harm someone in a fight by slamming them against walls and other surfaces could deal damage in that way. But as a general rule, I wouldn’t have wall slams deal damage unless the character has a Merit or other ability that allows them to do so.
          There is no pressing reason it couldn't be flavor for another attack (like someone without the merit doing grapple for bashing damage). Especially if the user is supernaturally empowered to the point throwing human targets is easy.

Though that question is like two years old now >_>.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruger View Post
            There is no pressing reason it couldn't be flavor for another attack (like someone without the merit doing grapple for bashing damage). Especially if the user is supernaturally empowered to the point throwing human targets is easy.
            Oh, for sure. I just meant it didn’t need it’s own special rules.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Does Meditation work for all variants of Integrity?

does the 3 dot effect for Meditative mind work with humanity roll's, or with frenzy?

Comment

Does Meditation work for all variants of Integrity?

does the 3 dot effect for Meditative mind work with humanity roll's, or with frenzy?
                Up to the ST. Personally, I rule that it works with any Resolve + Composure roll, so for example it wouldn’t work on Humanity, but it would work on resisting Frenzy.

Comment

• I'm preparing game with heavy use of supernatural merits and I can't quite figure out Psychokinesis.
                  1. Why psychokinesis, if used, for attack is resisted by Resolve? Why not minus Defense?
                  2. How creation of a size 1 amout of element looks like?
                  3. If I understand correctly to if a charaxter has 5 dot version of merit he can create element out of nothing to attack it but is this a single action (creation+attack) or two separate actions (create then attack)?

Comment

• 1: Because it's in your head?
                    2: Size 1 is hand sized.
                    3: The former, most likely.

Comment

• Are you using second sight or the new core rules?

1. If used to attack directly, such as the pyrokenisis guy setting his target on fire, presumably making defense and odd choice.The mechanical differences between defense and resolve making resolve usually lower is probably the reason for it, I can't think of any good lore reasons.
                      2. Above guy is right for most things. Fire, for example, works on a different chart where 1 is "torch" and 2 is "bonfire", with 3 being "inferno". I would use the fire type scale rather than the item type scale for this ability, you can see more examples in the OG core at page 180. Probably treat other things similar to how fire works, since it seems to be based around that idea.
                      3. Each success allows you to choose one of the things from the list. You can give the number of success you want to "cause harm", while choosing other additional effects. So if the pyro example got 3 successes, he could make a fire using one then do damage as if he got 2 success, or use existing fire for all 3. Or make the fire bigger with one, move it to block his target's path with two, then do 1 success worth of damage.

Comment

• Bit late to the game but...

I like the idea of Dark Era asnd, as I'm not into every splat in CofD (really only one and that's about it for now), I do like the fact that each chapter was presented individually allowing people, like myself, to get the most of Dark Era by focusing on the splat they are (considering) playing.

I've done a quick search and failed to come with the answer, but is it part of the plan to do the same with the Dark Era companion and Dark Era 2???

Might be losing some money there, but at the same time, OTOH some people might be hesitant to buy the full book only for 1 or 2 chapters, so that could be profitable also.

edit: Oh, and is there a plan for a Mummy, Hunter, Chaneling and Geist/Wraith translation guide?

Promethean, Beast and the upcoming Deviant, while interesting doesn't seem to have the corresponding splat.
                        Last edited by Boneguard; 06-16-2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• no plans for Translation guides that I know of sorry.

on integrity

2nd edition integrity, doesnt use a tiered system... high integrity chars gain a bonus on degeneration roll's

ANY BENEFIT WHATSOEVER to low integrity?
                          Last edited by Prince of the Night; 06-16-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure why you would expect there to be any mechanical benefit to having Integrity at less than half the starting level. It occupies the point at which you can justifiably change your Anchors around a bit without direct supernatural involvement, but that's sort of cold comfort.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• I think 2e Hunters have some benifits by some conditions, but I think that's it

Comment

no plans for Translation guides that I know of sorry.

on integrity

2nd edition integrity, doesnt use a tiered system... high integrity chars gain a bonus on degeneration roll's

Any "integrity" system, or just core? If just core, than not really, unless you count not having to spend experience to keep it high. You might be a less valuable sacrifice for several things, which is technically a benefit.

Comment

Working...
                                X