Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the rare times I get to play instead of run, my character's progression from Mortal to Hunter typically involves a lot of D&D-style looting. I'll at best start with a pistol or some sort of shotgun/rifle, and typically don't play characters with much money. But for every gun, wallet, or whatever I pick up, my options tend to grow (and typically whatever plot I'm involved with involves a high amount of "OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT", so taking measures like looting the dead is within reason/"reason"). I can't count the number of times I've sold a gun or two to some pawn shop, and used the money to buy much-needed things -- bugs, recording devices, whatever. It's also cold, hard cash that isn't connected to a bank account or anything, if I'm feeling particularly paranoid (which I will be). Or even just a gun that I can use for a single event and hurl into the nearest river.

By and large, mortals use tools to try and even the playing field, and things you pick off of dead people, or steal from the living, are either tools or can be sold to buy tools. So if you're wanting to run a game where the players/characters are always desperate, keep that in mind.

Comment

• Can I get Exempted for breaking points related to the supernatural with repeat exposure?

If a Vampire comes in and defends me by riding the wave first time it might be pretty terrifying. but after 4 or 5 times Im probably used to the sight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
        Can I get Exempted for breaking points related to the supernatural with repeat exposure?

If a Vampire comes in and defends me by riding the wave first time it might be pretty terrifying. but after 4 or 5 times Im probably used to the sight.
        I think Integrity is supposed to represent psychological damage, or something like that?

Sooooo....maybe, but I can't imagine that your Integrity looks too good after that.

Comment

Can I get Exempted for breaking points related to the supernatural with repeat exposure?

I would say it's ok, as long as it's happened at fairly common points.

now seeing the vampire go frenzy with no control...

Comment

Nah. The way Integrity works is pretty clearly meant for "break it or trade it in for something else" to be the main way to get out of needing to roll altogether.

Hard no. A vampire engaging in violence through the aspect of their condition that most persistent threatens their humanity is not something that ceases to have an impact without going out of your way not to see it.

Get some mounting bonuses to the roll for it not being a completely new experience, sure, but "A vampire is this close to losing a piece of their mortal relatability because they're exploiting the thing about themselves that ensures they're safe and fed at any cost so they can punch harder" should at least stand a chance of seeing you Shaken.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Yes.

Everything that doesn't enforce breaking points (such as Quiessence and Lunacy) can be something the character theoretically can get used to (and thus stop being traumatic if experienced during controlled forms). Now, whether that'll happen in any reasonable time frame or before you hit rock bottom in the Integrity scale, is a whole other matter. Both supernatural stuff and violence (especially if combined) are things that will continue to be breaking points for quite some time because of how hard they are to get used to. The further down you go, the harder it would be to get used to them as well, since failing breaking points would just reinforce how traumatic they are, if we mix some IRL psychology into the system.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• just wondering, are demons the only supernatural creature to get Virtue and Vice?

Comment

• Ghosts and mages also have Virtues and Vices.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• thanks! did vampires have virtue and vice in first edition? is that why daeva had a curse change

Comment

• They did. Now it's Masques and Dirges (sometime during development called Masquerade and Requiem, which are still used in some references in the book).

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        Ghosts and mages also have Virtues and Vices.
                        Angels, and I think Goetia as well.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          Angels, and I think Goetia as well.
                          Angels do. Goetia do not. They earn WP through gaining Essence like spirits, using the proper Resonance as an Anchor. While double checking Goetia I saw that Supernal entities also have Virtues and Vices in the same blue-and-orange way as angels.

Comment

• The Ice Tit says that it halves Speed, but the table at the end of the Appendix says it is -2 Speed. Which one is correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Enmai View Post
                              The Ice Tit says that it halves Speed, but the table at the end of the Appendix says it is -2 Speed. Which one is correct?
                              I'd guess that the tilt itself is probably more accurate. As far as I can see, some of the core books don't include the table.

Comment

• There are many times in the rulebooks where a value must be halved (defense when stunned, for example), but it is not specified wether it should be rounded up or down.

How should we proceed by default?
                                Last edited by DRaziel; 02-12-2019, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X