Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DRaziel View Post
    - There are many times in the rulebooks where a value must be halved (defense when stunned, for example), but it is not specified wether it should be rounded up or down. How should we proceed by default.
    In other systems like Pathfinder and D&D it's always rounded down unless otherwise specified. That doesn't mean it's also the case in Chronicles of Darkness, but that's what I do until the devs tell me otherwise.

I would very much like to see a dev answer this question though.

Comment

• My default is also rounding down, but that springs less from D&D and more from "you can't subtract .5 dice". But, like the previous answer, that doesn't mean I'm RIGHT. Just that it's the way I do things.

Comment

• The first core says repeatedly for just about everything except MPH (which isn't a dice roll), 'remainders are rounded down' and 'fractions are rounded down.'

The only difference I see in second edition is 'The dice bonus for Fashion is equal to half the Availability, rounded up.'
        Last edited by nofather; 02-15-2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• how mechanicaly would one go about Swatting someone?

Social Maneuvering to pull wool of emergency dispatcher's eyes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
            how mechanicaly would one go about Swatting someone?

Social Maneuvering to pull wool of emergency dispatcher's eyes?
            From the sound of it, you probably don't need anything mechanical. I gather part of the problem with swatting and similar prank calls to emergency services is that these system are there to make it as easy as possible. If you say there's an active shooter, the police are going to assume that that is true until they're definitely sure it's not.

That said, it probably depends a bit where you are, what tactics the police use.

Comment

• Is there any rule to pushing someone back? Like, into a stair? Can't find anything, really. :/

Comment

• If you are actively fighting, I'd go with "Grapple" and then the Drop Prone maneuver. If you're surprising them, I'd go with the "Touch Attack" and then have (Dex+Brawl) and then have them make some sort of Agility roll to not fall down the stairs.

Comment

• I actually ended up ruling exactly like the later. Thank you!

Comment

• Question about buying services:
                    For services that provide an on-going but limited duration, roughly how long is that service retained?
                    For example: an assistant / personal trainer / chauffeur, protective amulet, weatherproof shelter, renting a tour bus, etc.
                    In the Services appendix, it says that it takes about a week to acquire the service, but not how long it will last. Many of the examples are clearly good for one specific action (regardless how long it takes), but some, as in the examples above, there’s not really an implied time frame with how they’re used - but they are clearly limited, otherwise it would fall under equipment or buying a merit.

Any ideas how to garage this? A chapter, a month, a story?

Second Chance for

A Beautiful Madness

Comment

• Originally posted by Seraph Kitty View Post
                      Any ideas how to garage this? A chapter, a month, a story?
                      Why not until they no longer wish to continue the service? Unless whatever they used to acquire the service in the first place has a time limit of its own, in which case that would be the time limit.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• I don't know if this has already been asked but:

When dealing with mundane plants, are the object rules likely the best framework to approach how to represent them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                          I don't know if this has already been asked but:

When dealing with mundane plants, are the object rules likely the best framework to approach how to represent them?
                          Deal with them how? What exactly do you want to represent through game terms and rules?

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Tessie Pretty much, would treating a plant as an object in game terms be the best/easiest way to represent them. For example, let's say a party member wants to chop down a tree would treating it as an object be the best approach?

How resilient they are to damage I can see being the main thing plants would require so I think object rules would be the best fit but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Of course if something supernatural is at work and they can move of their own accord object rules wouldn't fit.

Comment

• For chopping down a tree Structure and Durability would definitely be the most fitting system to use. Unless you're planning on modelling stuff like not watering, over-watering, nutrient deficient soil, poisoning, wrong climate, not the right amount of sun exposure, etc (all of which would require you to homebrew a new system) you should be good to go using only Structure+Durability.

Comment

• The stunned tilt, Knockout Artist and Ippon from Hurt Locker: what the hell?

I've scoured for a definitive answer on this and it's been tricky at best. So stunned tilt says that it's caused by an attack to the head that deals as much damage as size, and any attacks to the head treat size as one lower. Why it doesn't just say size -1 in the same sentence is beyond me but sure.

Knockout artist says that size is treated as one lower for inflicting the stunned tilt, to represent your ability to casually strike the head, and that attacks that specifically target the head count size as -2. Given how the first part goes against how stunned work, does this know mean someone with Knockout artist can inflict the stunned tilt without aiming for the head now?

As for Ippon, when using Drop Prone with Takedown Maneuver, you count the double the damage for the purpose of inflicting the stunned tilt. Putting aside the fact that Takedown Maneuver doesn't mention the Drop Prone maneuver at all (I'm assuming Ippon just lets you combine the two together to not cause both people to go prone, you also inflict damage as well when you do it), damage doesn't normally cause the stunned tilt. So does it bypass the requirement to strike the head?

Comment

Working...
                                X