Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way back in 2013-2014 Stunned used to not require targeting the head and writers on assorted parts of later books haven’t always gotten the memo that it got nerfed (probably thanks in part to how it took until just recently for OPP to finally update the Tilt description from that original version).

Ignore the first part of Knockout Artist and just treat it as “-2 Size for the purpose of stunning.”

For Ippon... I guess there’s nothing saying you can’t combine grappling and specified targets? Which also means Tilting people with the Damage move is a thing which is nice.

Comment

• Hi,

i have a little trouble understanding extreme environment effect. When do we need to apply the rule in source of harm and when the titl extreme cold/heat ?

Comment

• If you're touching a wall socket with a fork, it's a source of harm. If there's a blizzard, apply the tilt.

Comment

• Ideas what skills qualify for Investigative Aide?

Examples of how to use them?

Get Impression but don't see as much in words, that a investigation different parties can be gathering clues.
          Last edited by Prince of the Night; 09-14-2019, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malus View Post
            If you're touching a wall socket with a fork, it's a source of harm. If there's a blizzard, apply the tilt.

Sorry if I was not clear. I was referring to the extreme environment section under Source of Harm. The Survival Gear equipment refers to extreme environment p97
            But I don't understand in which condition I apply the environment level penalties to action or the progressive penalty written in the tilt.

Comment

• At work and going from memory. I believe that Vampire the Requiem 1E and/or Blood Players Guide says/infers that most environmental tilts effect vampires much less as if 1-2 levels less. I tell my players that hyperthermia will not be a big deal but snow drifts slow you down.

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
              Current Focus
              Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
              Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Cross View Post
                Sorry if I was not clear. I was referring to the extreme environment section under Source of Harm. The Survival Gear equipment refers to extreme environment p97
                But I don't understand in which condition I apply the environment level penalties to action or the progressive penalty written in the tilt.
                In general, Extreme Environments are for whole-location concerns that last a long time and are expressed purely in terms of their effects on damage and healing, whereas Environmental Tilts are typically better suited for acting as "stage hazards" and other temporary dangers with specific additional effects — you use the Extreme Environments rules for being stuck in a desert; you use the Extreme Heat and/or Inferno Tilts for being stuck in a burning building.

tl;dr if the effect covers an arbitrarily large area and is handled by taking shelter for longer than a scene, use Extreme Environments; if the effect is localized and not omnipresent, use Tilts.

Resident Lore-Hound
                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Does Forcing Doors Necessarily mean threatening someone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                    Does Forcing Doors Necessarily mean threatening someone?
                    I think that you could also deceive someone and force him to make a quick decision

Comment

• Hurt locker level 3 grappling merit says

"While using Drop Prone with the Takedown Maneuver, "

So if i understand it rightly:
                      1 - the takedown merit allows you to execute the Drop Prone maneuver without starting a grapple?

2 - Does that mean that both the fighters ends up prone, like in a tackle?

3 - After the takedown maneuver does the fighters starts a grapple contest or the attacker must estabilish a grapple first?

Comment

Does Forcing Doors Necessarily mean threatening someone?
                        I like to think of it as being rude or doing something even remotely unfriendly would be forcing a door. Threats, insults, violence, blackmail, coercion or even propositioning. Anytime you force someone to act instead of finding ways for them to want to help you.

Comment

• Can social Maneuvering Alterf Beliefs or just actions?

Can it make someone believe your a good person or that you and they are on the same side...

Convince a hunter his crusades misguided?

Comment

• I would say it depends on the time frame of the interaction and how deeply held the belief is. Getting someone to completely change beliefs central to their identity in an evening isn't going to happen, but a successful social maneuver might be enough to introduce doubts and make them start questioning things they took for granted, and then follow up interactions could push them further until they abandoned the belief.

Something simpler like convincing them that a relative stranger is reasonably trustworthy isn't difficult unless they have pre-existing reasons to be deeply distrustful.

Comment

Can social Maneuvering Alterf Beliefs or just actions?

Can it make someone believe your a good person or that you and they are on the same side...

Convince a hunter his crusades misguided?
                              The short answer?

Yep, that can be the outset of your Social Maneuvering. Expect EVERY DOOR IN THE WORLD to come up, particularly if the Hunter has a Code instead of just Integrity, and the worse that is, the harder it probably is.

The long answer?

While you can do it as above, it depends by and large on the context of the game and the time the GM wants to dedicate to it(often articulated in the nature of the hunter in question)-but it wouldn't be unfair to say that resolving that point involves a procedure of manipulating and working through a number of Aspirations leading along and to that point, and getting them to twist or bend that subject in the process.

While we are swimming in non-canonical waters, the best way to think about it is that a Hunter has a Long-Term Aspiration, to which the Majority of their Resolve Points are geared towards. Guiding a person away from that sort of thing is a hell of a lot of work, and probably not so much the result of one Maneuvering as at least....say one Succesful Story's-or-Arc's Aspiration-Maneuvering-Away-From per Dot of Resolve, plus/minus the bonus/penalty in Integrity they have as Doors for each go around. If they have The Code instead, assume the Condition that comes with a Code in the 6-4 range imposes a 2 additional Doors, and someone in the 3-1 range as 4 additional Doors, and someone with a 0 as a Good Fucking Luck scenario because being a hunterkiller is all they have left.

Point is that a hunter, as a wounded individual who has reshaped their psychology around their damage to change the way they express it (see Risking Willpower and Practical Exp) and has otherwise begun the process of making being a hunter a natal portion of their identity*, is not someone who easily abandons their quest-but much of that is subject to the demands of the story. Like, they've got shit that needs to be resolved, and the road to dealing with that is contorted through the rest of the shit a Hunter puts on themselves that breaks them even more and can create winding, twisting roads that make for a long recovery.

*Try to, not that they necessarily succeed.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                              Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

• Maybe getting them to doubt themselves for the time being will just make them stop hunting for now but still need to meet them a bit...

Oh to get a Unwilling target of social maneuvering to stay seated Better to force doors or not bother with social maneuvering.

If I just want them to sit down and listen to me.

If Im proselytizing Is that forcing doors?
                                Last edited by Prince of the Night; 10-08-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X