Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kvark View Post
    For vanilla humans, I think nothing explicitly prohibits it, but it would be the +2 bonus for being a resistance trait roll instead of the usual +3 (per CofD p73).
    Willpower adds three dice to rolls or increases the amount a Trait subtracts from a resisted roll by two.

Prometheans explicitly can't spend Willpower on rolls to avoid stepping backward on the Pilgrimage; Beasts, Sin-Eaters, and Deviants don't roll to lose Satiety, Synergy, or Stability; Changeling, Demon, and the previews for Hunter and Mummy don't include explicit statements about whether Willpower can be spent on their breaking point rolls, but considering half of those have modifiers to the roll for spending or regaining Willpower I don't think it's too far off to conclude that they don't get to in-some-cases double the dice they get to roll as though the process of Keeping It Together worked the same way as struggling to bar a door or find the instructions for an exorcism.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Kvark View Post
      For vanilla humans, I think nothing explicitly prohibits it, but it would be the +2 bonus for being a resistance trait roll instead of the usual +3 (per CofD p73).
      While I don't think humans are intended to be able to spend Willpower on a breaking point roll, it would be a +3 dice bonus if they were able to. Willpower points add +3 to dice pools, and +2 to resistance trait penalties on others' dice pools.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Holy crap I've been doing that wrong for years, but you guys are absolutely right. Kinda makes me wonder what else I've been doing subtly wrong for years.

I'd also guess vanilla humans aren't intended to be able to do this, there haven't been any errata to that effect in years since 2e came out.

Comment

• That's because Onyx Path doesn't do post-release errata.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
            That's because Onyx Path doesn't do post-release errata.
            That makes a lot of sense, then!

Comment

• How much damage should being in a car crash do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
                How much damage should being in a car crash do?
                Depends on the different variables. The rules are on page 99 in CofD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Depends on the different variables. The rules are on page 99 in CofD.
                  That seems to cover two vehicles hitting each other, and vehicles hitting people and creatures, but what's the best way to handle vehicles that run into buildings, wrap themselves around poles, flip and roll, etc. If someone shoots your tires out and you swerve head-first into a concrete divider, how much damage would that do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    Willpower adds three dice to rolls or increases the amount a Trait subtracts from a resisted roll by two.

Prometheans explicitly can't spend Willpower on rolls to avoid stepping backward on the Pilgrimage; Beasts, Sin-Eaters, and Deviants don't roll to lose Satiety, Synergy, or Stability; Changeling, Demon, and the previews for Hunter and Mummy don't include explicit statements about whether Willpower can be spent on their breaking point rolls, but considering half of those have modifiers to the roll for spending or regaining Willpower I don't think it's too far off to conclude that they don't get to in-some-cases double the dice they get to roll as though the process of Keeping It Together worked the same way as struggling to bar a door or find the instructions for an exorcism.

Changelings deal with Breaking Points as attacks against their sanity, so adding three dice to the roll would actually make things worse for them.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post

That seems to cover two vehicles hitting each other, and vehicles hitting people and creatures, but what's the best way to handle vehicles that run into buildings, wrap themselves around poles, flip and roll, etc. If someone shoots your tires out and you swerve head-first into a concrete divider, how much damage would that do?
                      Vehicles hitting heavy object
                      rules would be where to find the rules. 1/2 the other objects size + 1/10th speed, blah blah page 99 as somebody else said.

Considering buildings can have a huge size, I would probably limit hitting a wall of one to the same size as the vehicle maybe.
                      Last edited by totalgit; 01-21-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Mechanically, hitting a building brings your momentum to zero. It's equivalent to hitting a vehicle with equal and opposite momentum. If the two vehicles have the same mass, hitting a car with the opposite oncoming velocity is like hitting an immovable building.

Comment

• Does an Ouija board work? If it works, how can a ghost interact with it?

Waiting for new Chronicles of Darkness Dice! 🤗 🎲

Comment

• Originally posted by Elythia View Post
                            Does an Ouija board work?
                            If the ST wants it to work.

Originally posted by Elythia View Post
                            If it works, how can a ghost interact with it?
                            If it works it probably puts up a relevant Manifestation Condition for ghosts and/or other things. Work from there.

Comment

• I must admit, that I don't understand those rules very well.

Edit:
                              I found a starting point in "Hunter: The Vigil" on page 240 (First Edition).
                              Last edited by Elythia; 02-06-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• In the CofD Core Rulebook on Page 121 is a "Trained Guard Dog". There are Dice Pools, that I don't know how to use:

General Dice Pools:
                                Born Survivor 7
                                Marathon Runner 7
                                Aggressive Growl 5

Combat Dice Pools:
                                Tackle 6

Where can I find more information about them?

Comment

Working...
                                X