Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal people can perform exorcisms in the Chronicles of Darkness. If anything, supernatural splats are less likely to be able to perform them; they harness the human soul, which not all supernaturals have. Ignore that part, I was thinking of abjurations (which normal people can also perform, though they may not realize it is an option). totalgit is right, exorcisms in Chronicles of Darkness, at least as described in the corebook, are simply learning how to move things around and strip the conditions necessary for an ephemeral entity to manifest.
    Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 03-03-2020, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Then a sin-eater can perform an exorcirn to free a possessed person too?
      Last edited by Ipergigio; 03-04-2020, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• Sin-Eaters have a much easier time identifying and freeing possessed people than most splats since they can automatically see the ghost and have both the reason and the opportunity to learn how Anchors work almost from the moment they strike the Bargain. Their innate powers allow them to touch ghosts and some of their Haunts interact with Anchors and ghost conditions directly.

Basically, if a Sin-Eater can't perform an exorcism they're either very new to their second chance or there's something really, really unusual about the possession.

Comment

• A noob question, but I saw different ways of handling it:
          What do you do when the player spends the last point of willpower? (CoD 2e)

Comment

• Point, or dot?

Losing your last permanent dot of Willpower might be catastrophic for your mental health.

Spending your last point of temporary Willpower means you're tired out emotionally. You've been through the ringer and really need a break, but not to the point that there are any mechanical complications that result. The consequence for running out of Willpower is that you don't have any more Willpower to spend.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrunoMoonChangeling View Post
              A noob question, but I saw different ways of handling it:
              What do you do when the player spends the last point of willpower? (CoD 2e)
              Nothing. People who run it otherwise have either house ruled it or the character has had a specific drawback that applies when not having any Willpower points left to spend. The Psychokinesis Merit is one example.

Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• For the purposes of this discussion, let's take a character named Samir, who is average in many respects.
                Samir has 2 Resolve and 2 Composure, so 4 base Willpower. Then, he is subject to an effect that raises his Resolve to 5 on a semi-permanent basis.
                His maximum Willpower can now be assumed to be 7.

1) Does he immediately gain access to 3 additional points of Willpower, or does he have to 'recover' the three additional points? That is, do his three new dots of Willpower start 'empty' or do they start 'full' ?
                2) Let us assume that, regardless of the previous answer, Samir has reached a state where he has 7 Willpower Points available, and then spends one. He is then immediately subjected to an effect that lowers his Resolve back down to 2. Does he have 3/4 Willpower Remaining (because he spent one) or 4/4 (because his new maximum is lower than his previous current value)?

Are there effects that deal with the slightly-more-common occurrence of temporary health that we can use to guide this discussion?
                If there are, do all of those sources actually consistently agree?

Comment

• While I don't recall seeing anything about temporary WP dots and how it affects points, there are rules for how to deal with temporary Health boxes. Basically, Health boxes are added/removed to/from the right, and every damaged marked in a temporary Health box that disappears wraps around and upgrades one damage in a permanent Health box (just like if you'd take more damage that pushes your damage from the last Health box).

For Willpower, I would rule that temporary WP dots doesn't automatically come with points. When temporary WP dots disappear, they go from right to left just like Health boxes, and since points are noted from left to right you don't lose any points except those that are in excess of your new WP dot rating.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• That's sensible. It feels not-quite-comparable because of the inherent differences in a pool of points vs a health pool - gaining the dots without gaining the points feels a bit like temporarily increasing your health but needing to heal in order to actually benefit from it.

That said, I think what you've landed at is the only solution that doesn't open itself up to bizarre exploits, and it's internally consistent.

Comment

• I see no real problem with gaining 3 temp willpower that are filled, spending 3 then loosing 3 willpower having your normal willpower. It becomes a problem when you can spend dots of willpower for things though. But ive always had it that if you spend a dot you have always lost a dot, even if you had temp willpower dots. Once you loose the temp willpower you have still lost a dot.

Comment

• Professional Training Merit: do the dice tricks (at 2 and 5 dots) apply to supernatural uses of the Asset Skills?

Because I'm working on a Beast character and realized that professional training as an athlete would somewhat inexplicably improve his ability to breath fire (it's treated as a thrown weapon, Dex + Athletics). The power-gamer in me says YES, but the storyteller in me has concerns...

Edit: this might just be a weird issue I have with the merit in general, because Firearms is explicitly a thing that can be benefited, which would probably be even more useful in combat than getting the tricks on fire-breathing. I guess it feels weird to have this potential benefit to combat skills hidden away in this merit. I could be a world-class sniper, but unless I got "professional training" in firearms, I don't get the 9-again benefit. I know 9-again is not that big a deal ... but it's just the kind of fiddly unique bonus that my inner min-maxer wants to exploit and I worry I'm making character decisions based on mechanical benefit when they make little sense in-world.
                        Last edited by Scriptorian; 03-11-2020, 12:26 AM.

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• As written, they do apply to all rolls using those Skills.

As a house rule, we only allow it for Skill rolls (i.e. Attribute + Skill, no third trait in the dice pool). I don't recall exactly if it's specifically only mundane Skill rolls, or if it's possible on power activation rolls without a third trait. Looking over a few of my character sheets it seems we've been inconsistent in that regard.
                          We've also house rule it not to apply to attack rolls because otherwise you're basically forced to take your chosen combat Skill as an Asset Skill in combat heavy games if you don't want to noticably be worse than everyone else. Also, the constant rerolling of almost all dice in almost all attacks has bogged down the long running Vampire game that led us to create that house rule for all games we started after that one.

Comment

• I usually just ban it. There's a reason, I feel, that the 1e version was a Hunter Merit rather than a bluebook one.

Comment

• The difference between bluebook characters and tier 1 hunters is often marginal. Any problems in CofD also applies to HtV. However, it's inclusion in the other games brings another problem in that many uses Skills to dice pools other than regular Skill rolls, and the language used doesn't take that in mind.

Comment

• Yes, that's what I meant. 1e made it, functionally but not absolutely, a Hunter merit, while 2e just keeps including it in gameline after gameline.

As far as I can tell, it was there to give hunters an edge, not for changelings to game their Contract rolls.

Comment

Working...
                                X