Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think in this regard the spirit of the rules wins over the letter of the rule. For example does a life long history in academics help you dominate as a vampire, not really. I consider it the same as supernatural templates not taking sup merits. The ability to dominate is far and above these piece merits that they should not have interaction unless they state it. Similar to blood sorcery stating no merit helps it unless it specifically call it out.
    Last edited by Graylion; 03-11-2020, 08:30 PM.

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
    Current Focus
    Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
    Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

• Where are the rules on how much weight you can carry? I look up places online and it usually says you can carry 25 lbs per point of strength unencumbered, but I can't seem to find it in my digital copy of Chronicles of Darkness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
        Professional Training Merit: do the dice tricks (at 2 and 5 dots) apply to supernatural uses of the Asset Skills?

Because I'm working on a Beast character and realized that professional training as an athlete would somewhat inexplicably improve his ability to breath fire (it's treated as a thrown weapon, Dex + Athletics). The power-gamer in me says YES, but the storyteller in me has concerns...

Edit: this might just be a weird issue I have with the merit in general, because Firearms is explicitly a thing that can be benefited, which would probably be even more useful in combat than getting the tricks on fire-breathing. I guess it feels weird to have this potential benefit to combat skills hidden away in this merit. I could be a world-class sniper, but unless I got "professional training" in firearms, I don't get the 9-again benefit. I know 9-again is not that big a deal ... but it's just the kind of fiddly unique bonus that my inner min-maxer wants to exploit and I worry I'm making character decisions based on mechanical benefit when they make little sense in-world.
        You're getting a lot of interpretation and house rules, so for the record: there is no exemption in RAW for supernatural powers.

The ground that many of these house rules are built on is shaky at best in my opinion - if a power includes a skill in its dice pool, that's because mundane capacity with that skill objectively improves your ability to apply the power. Restricting the benefits to mundane-only rolls makes sense only as a balance consideration, and arguments that try to anchor that decision in verisimilitude or narrative cohesion are fighting against the system itself to do so.

If balance is an important consideration for your table, it's not a bad idea to apply similar restrictions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteman View Post
          Where are the rules on how much weight you can carry? I look up places online and it usually says you can carry 25 lbs per point of strength unencumbered, but I can't seem to find it in my digital copy of Chronicles of Darkness.
          There are no hard numbers for this in 2E CofD.

Many people carry over the hard numbers from the 1E rulebook.

Comment

• Thank you Inodiv

Comment

• so the last rank of heavy weapon fighting style. that would allow me to deal aggravated damage. so for splats that downgrade like vampires it would do lethal?
              Last edited by Grimmi05; 03-30-2020, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grimmi05 View Post
                so the last rank of heavy weapon fighting style. that would allow me to deal aggravated damage. so for splats that downgrade like vampires it would do lethal?
                Each splat's corebook should specify under what circumstances it downgrades damage. For vampires, they specify that mundane techniques and weaponry that deal aggravated damage get downgraded to lethal, which would include Heavy Weapon Fighting.

Comment

• What Rating in Academics or any other trait do I probably need if Im helping people clean up and get their GED,

Comment

• so, I was thinking about... crabs. Have been watching too many documentaries and now want to play them too! There are a few options for that with TheOnyxpath products. Discounting Exalted, where you can go straight Lunar Crab (it's awesome), there are a few options for Chronicles of Darkness.
                    - One could be Brineborn splat, though they are more about fishes, not crustaceans, and have social characteristics that do not go that well with crabs anyway. Though, their system of marine based mutations could be played around for desired effect.
                    - The other a Beast and yes, strangely enough there is some horror with crabs. A terror of unknown ocean depths. would work well with a mix of toughness powers and probably need a couple flavor modded nightmares. like substitute "you are falling" with "you are drowning" and like that.
                    - The spirit claimed, as with those jaguar shapeshifters. though it would be in this case a more of a singular monster. Similarly, making it a PC would be junky I think.
                    - Essentially hunter monster, the same as above but even more so. Making a crab monster with Dread Powers is easy enough, but again not very suitable for being PC in my opinion.

- Original changing breed with WtF system. This could be easy and interesting enough to try. design a couple alternative forms (small crab/buff crabman) with appropriate buffs. No dexterity buff, but get sweet armor viable against bullets. No regen, but ability to 'molt' with some tie and essence healing to full health and removing physical crippling effects. No effect by silver, but allergic to pure salt (not seawater) or maybe to modern solvants that deal aggro in similar manner. No normal fetishes but the art of using something like fetish tattoos. Also, no ability to sidestep normally, but can turn sufficiently deep water into a tunnel to the other side (which one?). As for the supernatural powers... could pretty much mirror werewolves with marine twist or do as with brineborn, a mix of numina and mutation merits. Could even just dump that and make sort of 'essence technology' instead of just spells.
                    For the fluff, probably reverse the process. Not a big fan of those ancient spirit/gods dominating the whole splat. I was thinking to make it a historically disjointed sub-splat living mostly solitary or small family units along the coasts in hotter climates. with their own varied myths, but no "one and true" origin, coming together only with the modern advent of communication and transportation.

So what do you think, worth it to write up the splat or one of the other 4 choices already do it well enough? would it be interesting?
                    Last edited by Warpwind; 03-31-2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Warpwind View Post
                      so, I was thinking about... crabs. Have been watching too many documentaries and now want to play them too! There are a few options for that with TheOnyxpath products. Discounting Exalted, where you can go straight Lunar Crab (it's awesome), there are a few options for Chronicles of Darkness.
                      - One could be Brineborn splat, though they are more about fishes, not crustaceans, and have social characteristics that do not go that well with crabs anyway. Though, their system of marine based mutations could be played around for desired effect.
                      - The other a Beast and yes, strangely enough there is some horror with crabs. A terror of unknown ocean depths. would work well with a mix of toughness powers and probably need a couple flavor modded nightmares. like substitute "you are falling" with "you are drowning" and like that.
                      - The spirit claimed, as with those jaguar shapeshifters. though it would be in this case a more of a singular monster. Similarly, making it a PC would be junky I think.
                      - Essentially hunter monster, the same as above but even more so. Making a crab monster with Dread Powers is easy enough, but again not very suitable for being PC in my opinion.

- Original changing breed with WtF system. This could be easy and interesting enough to try. design a couple alternative forms (small crab/buff crabman) with appropriate buffs. No dexterity buff, but get sweet armor viable against bullets. No regen, but ability to 'molt' with some tie and essence healing to full health and removing physical crippling effects. No effect by silver, but allergic to pure salt (not seawater) or maybe to modern solvants that deal aggro in similar manner. No normal fetishes but the art of using something like fetish tattoos. Also, no ability to sidestep normally, but can turn sufficiently deep water into a tunnel to the other side (which one?). As for the supernatural powers... could pretty much mirror werewolves with marine twist or do as with brineborn, a mix of numina and mutation merits.
                      For the fluff, probably reverse the process. Not a big fan of those ancient spirit/gods dominating the whole splat. I was thinking to make it a historically disjointed sub-splat living mostly solitary or small family units along the coasts in hotter climates. with their own varied myths, but no "one and true" origin, coming together only with the modern advent of communication and transportation.

So what do you think, worth it to write up the splat or one of the other 4 choices already do it well enough? would it be interesting?
                      Maybe a crab Host from Werewolf ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

Maybe a crab Host from Werewolf ?
                        for a PC? as a monster sure, but as a PC I donno...
                        Or do you mean there already is a crab host? which book?

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                          What Rating in Academics or any other trait do I probably need if Im helping people clean up and get their GED,
                          I'd say the actual teaching is Intelligence 3, Academics 3. If you're playing the life coach angle then maybe one or two dots in each of persuasion and empathy, too.

My ideas are bad and I should feel bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Warpwind View Post

for a PC? as a monster sure, but as a PC I donno...
                            Or do you mean there already is a crab host? which book?
                            I mean as a pc, i know that it doesn t offer the same growth option as a major splat, bur i think it could be a challenging and fun character

Comment

• Originally posted by Kvark View Post

I'd say the actual teaching is Intelligence 3, Academics 3. If you're playing the life coach angle then maybe one or two dots in each of persuasion and empathy, too.
                              Academics 3 is a college professor or PhD - might be overshooting it for GED coaching.

Comment

• Academics 2 then?

oh would Mesmerism Majesty or other powers whos names I do not not yet know be handy for a life coach?

Comment

Working...
                                X