Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Aleksay View Post
    The Hurt Locker sais that a target on close range gets Defense equal to (gun size +1), and can add it for Willpower point.

    I don't quite get it. Does it replace target's own Defense? And if the target doesn't pay Willpower, is their Defence equals 0 then?
    Normally your defence versus guns are 0, so yes i think that in this special case the value would substitute your 0 score

    Comment


    • Defense against ranged weapons (e.g. guns) is zero. I think the intention is that you can't dodge or fend off a bullet. However, if you are very close you might be a able to knock aside a gun barrel, and the bigger the gun, the easier that might be (up to a point :-). If my interpretation is correct, the Willpower point reflects your wild struggle to not get shot.

      Comment


      • How does procuring services work? I had assumed that you simply purchase the service via the resources merit and then you receive the service but apparently most of them offer dice bonuses. In what context are these dice bonuses used? Does requisitioning a service only give you a bonus to a roll that you yourself then have to make? As an example, I can purchase the "Auto repair" service at availability 2 to presumably get my car fixed. But that service offers a dice bonus of +3. Do I still have to roll my own attribute+skill to repair my own car, even after paying a professional to do it and all I get is the dice bonus to my roll?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by THE DUNKENING View Post
          How does procuring services work? I had assumed that you simply purchase the service via the resources merit and then you receive the service but apparently most of them offer dice bonuses. In what context are these dice bonuses used? Does requisitioning a service only give you a bonus to a roll that you yourself then have to make? As an example, I can purchase the "Auto repair" service at availability 2 to presumably get my car fixed. But that service offers a dice bonus of +3. Do I still have to roll my own attribute+skill to repair my own car, even after paying a professional to do it and all I get is the dice bonus to my roll?
          I think it's safe to assume that if you hire an auto auto repair service to do something they're qualified to do (like repair your car), they'll simply do that within a span of time appropriate according to the Storyteller. However, if you for some reason hire an auto repair service to help you with a personal project that is outside the scope of what they generally do, though their skills are helpful, then you'd have to roll with the dice bonus.

          Don't take rules like these too strict, the dice bonus is just indicative of the quality they offer, you don't need to force the story in such a way to make use of it. This is quite similar to the Retainer merit, where base retainers of 1-2 dots have atrocious dicepools. But this does not make them useless, since they can still do many things that do not require rolls, like deliver packages, sort your mail, take your calls, and so on. ^^
          Last edited by Unahim; 06-22-2020, 10:01 AM.

          Comment


          • Maybe somebody already asked this, but I couldn't find it with a search, so...
            Since Claimed gain the Claiming entity's Essence trait, does that mean they also regain Essence as the Claiming entity does? Particularly since it says Hive-Claimed "may also regain Essence points by consuming human or werewolf flesh," implying that Claimed normally regain Essence a different way.


            Is Working On It
            She/Her

            Comment


            • What would be the point of having an Essence pool if they don't have a way to replenish it? Claiming is an indefinite Manifestation and often used by spirits to avoid starvation. In lieu of alternatives for regaining Essence, I'd have to assume they use all the same ways as the original ephemeral entity.


              Bloodline: The Stygians
              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SomethingFishy View Post
                Maybe somebody already asked this, but I couldn't find it with a search, so...
                Since Claimed gain the Claiming entity's Essence trait, does that mean they also regain Essence as the Claiming entity does? Particularly since it says Hive-Claimed "may also regain Essence points by consuming human or werewolf flesh," implying that Claimed normally regain Essence a different way.
                I feel in that case a hive claimed is more getting additional ways to gather essance and in this case made more werewolf like by the idigam that made it.

                Comment


                • Thanks everyone! I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some obscure reference hidden who-knows-where, because, yeah, it seems like a weird oversight if Claimed get to use Essence, but have no means to regain it. Good to know this is just one of those cases where the games are trusting you to put on your reading comprehension glasses!


                  Is Working On It
                  She/Her

                  Comment


                  • With style merits, are you paying 1 dot per level or are you buying each level as seperate merits ie, each level costs it's dots?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                      With style merits, are you paying 1 dot per level or are you buying each level as seperate merits ie, each level costs it's dots?
                      I would say one dot per merit.
                      In CoD core it s a little unclear, but in recent books like changeling there is no ambiguity
                      Last edited by Neos01; 07-02-2020, 03:37 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

                        I would say one dot per merit.
                        In CoD core it s a little unclear, but in recent books like changeling there is no ambiguity
                        Thank you, thats how i thought it worked but reading the core book again and ya, it was ambiguous enough that i wondered if I'd screwed up on understanding.


                        Edit: and looking in hurt locker it directly says each one level only costs 1 additional merit dot. Guess the core was just poorly worded.
                        Last edited by Mr.F.I.X.; 07-02-2020, 04:08 AM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X