Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would probably not use ones that refer to human-specific things like Vice, Virtue, and Integrity, though.

Comment

• So no problem with Investigative Prodigy in m y Hunter the Vigil game? Other then it might destroy the everman vibe im going for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
        So no problem with Investigative Prodigy in m y Hunter the Vigil game? Other then it might destroy the everman vibe im going for?
        Dude, if you're STing and a given Merit will hurt your game you shouldn't allow it, period. There is no sense in asking this on the forum.

By my book every merit is fair play as long as it doesn't hurt the game and the mechanics can be applied, no matter the book. But if they'll hurt play the book doesn't matter, either, just say no.

#NothingAboutUsWithoutUs
        #AutismPride
        She/her pronouns

Comment

• oh Investigative Aide got me thinking what kind of ability is usable in what kind of investigation

obviously medicines best for an autopsy

Ideas and thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maina View Post

Per the book: "For many actions, you don’t need to roll dice. If your character isn’t in a stressful situation — nobody’s actively trying to tear his throat open, or demolish the building as he works — you don’t need to roll."

You don't need a skill to garden because there is never any situation where you are pruning tomatoes while someone is trying to tear your throat open.

Mirrors provides a number of rolls in post-apocalyptic situations. I believe farming and foraging both fell within the Survival category.

Comment

• It's been a while and I'm rusty. I couldn't find the following rules:

Is there a tie-breaker for initiative? The combat I just ran had multiple people on both PC and NPC sides with an Initiative of 10. I thought I remembered a tie-breaker, but I might be remembering 1e.

Is there a way to purposefully put yourself between an ally and an enemy to protect them or take a hit? It hasn't come up, but sacrifice and protecting others is a recurring theme in my current party of Prometheans, so I want to be prepared for if/when they want to put themselves at risk to save others.

Comment

It's been a while and I'm rusty. I couldn't find the following rules:

Is there a tie-breaker for initiative? The combat I just ran had multiple people on both PC and NPC sides with an Initiative of 10. I thought I remembered a tie-breaker, but I might be remembering 1e.

Is there a way to purposefully put yourself between an ally and an enemy to protect them or take a hit? It hasn't come up, but sacrifice and protecting others is a recurring theme in my current party of Prometheans, so I want to be prepared for if/when they want to put themselves at risk to save others.

First edition has rules to break an initiative tie (highest bonus first, roll off if same bonus), second doesn't clarify. Not much has changed though so the old rule should work.

There are rules for human shields on page 92. The only factor you'd need to account for is how far you allow a character to move to intercept a hit

Comment

I've always just had the characters in question take their turns 'simultaneously' as far as the narrative is concerned, when this happens.

Comment

• For the first level of the Unarmed Defense Style (When facing an unarmed opponent and not Dodging, increase your character’s Defense by half of his Brawl (round down).), do you count creatures attacking with claws and talons and teeth and the like as "unarmed"? Or do you only get the bonus against punches and fists.

It honestly seems pretty powerful for the first dot of a fighting style, spending one point to add 2 to defense in a lot of situations.

Comment

• What is maximum lifting capacity per strength, if any? Do you just eyeball it, or what? Is it based on size with a penalty equal to the difference between strength and object size? When a power such as a Telekinesis Numina gives an approximate strength what is the limit?

Comment

• An improvised weapon has a Strength requirement equal to its Size. That's generally what I use. Could probably tweak it from there if you absolutely had to, but generally that's sufficient.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_John View Post
                          What is maximum lifting capacity per strength, if any? Do you just eyeball it, or what? Is it based on size with a penalty equal to the difference between strength and object size? When a power such as a Telekinesis Numina gives an approximate strength what is the limit?
                          I don't think this got ported into Second Edition, but this is the chart from 1E:

1 Lift a chair 40 lbs.
                          2 Lift a large dog 100 lbs.
                          3 Lift a public mailbox 250 lbs.
                          4 Lift a wooden crate 400 lbs.
                          5 Lift a coffin 650 lbs.
                          6 Lift a refrigerator 800 lbs.
                          7 Overturn a small car 900 lbs.
                          8 Lift a motorcycle 1000 lbs.
                          9 Overturn a mid-sized car 1200 lbs.
                          10 Lift a large tree trunk 1500 lbs.
                          11 Overturn a full-sized car 2000 lbs.
                          12 Lift a wrecking ball 3000 lbs.
                          13 Overturn a station wagon 4000 lbs.
                          14 Overturn a van 5000 lbs.
                          15 Overturn a truck 6000 lbs.

It's a little too precise, but if you need a guideline, it's not bad. These are examples of what you can lift without a roll, basically. Originally you had to make a Strength + Stamina roll with your successes added to your effective Strength to see if you could lift the object, but that strikes me as a bit finicky, especially in a system that avoids counting successes on instant actions.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                          Masquiem: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2nd
                          Storytellers Vault: Author Page

Comment

• Deviant Question: what’s the RAW and/or RAI for when a character ends up with more than one instance of the same non-repeatable, Tiered Variation? For example, a character consumes Sacred Flesh for a Variation he has natively. My gut instinct is that the character can only benefit from one at a time, but that they can choose which one that is (subject to any activation restrictions imposed by Scars, etc.).

But what say ye?

The longer I study science the more I am convinced that it is functionally indistinguishable from what our ancestors would refer to as sorcery. And I would know, being both scientist and sorcerer.

Comment

• Willpower states it can only a single willpower can be spent on an action. Does that mean you cannot activate merits or other effects that require willpower as well or simply you cant stack +3s or +2s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post
                                Willpower states it can only a single willpower can be spent on an action. Does that mean you cannot activate merits or other effects that require willpower as well or simply you cant stack +3s or +2s.
                                The literal reading would mean that if you have to spend WP to activate a power you couldn't also spend WP to boost that power's dice pool. But I think it's much more preferable (and quite possibly intentional) to simply not allow stacking bonuses gained from WP.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                                X