Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious ccan an interrogation using empathy be done without the interviewee being in chains???

Comment

• A ghost/spirit can use it's manifestation when fettered to someone or something?

Comment

• I feel I already know the answer here but it's a moment of doubt.

Are style merits bot as 1xp per dot or is it as seperate merits ie 1 dot merit as prerequisite for the second means you spend 2xp on moving to that second dot from 1 dot, instead of 1xp?

I think it's just 1xp per dot but I'm having a moment where I'm not certain but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
          I feel I already know the answer here but it's a moment of doubt.

Are style merits bot as 1xp per dot or is it as seperate merits ie 1 dot merit as prerequisite for the second means you spend 2xp on moving to that second dot from 1 dot, instead of 1xp?

I think it's just 1xp per dot but I'm having a moment where I'm not certain but I can't seem to find a clear answer.
          It s 1xp per dot

Comment

• Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
            A ghost/spirit can use it's manifestation when fettered to someone or something?
            Depends on the Manifestation, but so long as it stays within five yards of the subject, I'd say yes (and also that for plenty of spirits, Fettering is the first step to later Possession and Claiming).

Comment

• The ranged combat rules say Defense doesn't apply to Firearms attack. The "Firearms in Close Quarters" rules say that you apply Size+1 as a bonus to Defense...against a Firearm attack. Which rule controls? When it says "bonus" does that mean full Defense applies against Firearm attacks made in close quarters, or /just/ Size+1 as a kind of standalone Defense value?

In the core book, I'm talking about the "Firearms in Close Combat" rules on page 90. On Page 88, it states flat out that Defense does not apply to Firearms attacks. I could read the rule as either granting a standalone Defense equal to gun Size + 1, or allowing Defense w/ a bonus of Gun Size + 1 in close quarters.
              Last edited by Professor Phobos; 06-20-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• It appears that this passage was copy and pasted from the God-Machine Rules Update, which was the first presentation of the second edition rules, framed as a patch meant to apply on top of the first edition rules. Thus the GMRU text would be meant to append on top of the 1e World of Darkness Rulebook passage on firearms in close combat, which asserted that as an exception to the general rules, a firearms attack in close combat did not deny the target their Defense: the GMRU text is thus stating that in 2e rules, not only does a close combat target of a firearms attack get to keep their Defense, but they add (Size of the gun + 1) as a bonus to it if the gun is larger than Size 1.

Presumably the writers of the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook forgot or missed this context when carrying over text from the GMRU.

Comment

• That makes sense, thanks!

I checked Deviant, Hunter, Hurt Locker, and the corebook, but it didn't occur to me to check the old GMRU.

Comment

• Another question - what's the deal with the Extreme Cold and Heat Environmental Tilts and the Extreme Environments (as a source of harm) rules? Do both basically always apply at the same time, or what?

Comment

• My assumption, at least, was that Extreme Cold and Extreme Heat, being Tilts, are meant to be applied as the rules during action scenes ("combat time"), whereas longer-term scenes not tracking time by initiative turns use the Extreme Environment rules.

Comment

Working...
                      X