Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: General Chronicles/World of Darkness

I realized just now that we didn't have one of these so... I figure why not start one. Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage all have one. Maybe a few other lines. Either way, this is here now.

My first question... How exactly does Armor Piercing work against objects's Durability? I always assumed it was a subtract AP from Durability deal, but apparently it's not.
    Last edited by Almarck; 04-13-2016, 12:29 AM.

• Draconis
    replied
    Originally posted by Grimmi05 View Post
    so the last rank of heavy weapon fighting style. that would allow me to deal aggravated damage. so for splats that downgrade like vampires it would do lethal?
    Each splat's corebook should specify under what circumstances it downgrades damage. For vampires, they specify that mundane techniques and weaponry that deal aggravated damage get downgraded to lethal, which would include Heavy Weapon Fighting.

Leave a comment:

• Grimmi05
    replied
    so the last rank of heavy weapon fighting style. that would allow me to deal aggravated damage. so for splats that downgrade like vampires it would do lethal?
    Last edited by Grimmi05; Yesterday, 10:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Peteman
    replied
    Thank you Inodiv

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    Originally posted by Peteman View Post
    Where are the rules on how much weight you can carry? I look up places online and it usually says you can carry 25 lbs per point of strength unencumbered, but I can't seem to find it in my digital copy of Chronicles of Darkness.
    There are no hard numbers for this in 2E CofD.

Many people carry over the hard numbers from the 1E rulebook.

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    Originally posted by Scriptorian View Post
    Professional Training Merit: do the dice tricks (at 2 and 5 dots) apply to supernatural uses of the Asset Skills?

Because I'm working on a Beast character and realized that professional training as an athlete would somewhat inexplicably improve his ability to breath fire (it's treated as a thrown weapon, Dex + Athletics). The power-gamer in me says YES, but the storyteller in me has concerns...

Edit: this might just be a weird issue I have with the merit in general, because Firearms is explicitly a thing that can be benefited, which would probably be even more useful in combat than getting the tricks on fire-breathing. I guess it feels weird to have this potential benefit to combat skills hidden away in this merit. I could be a world-class sniper, but unless I got "professional training" in firearms, I don't get the 9-again benefit. I know 9-again is not that big a deal ... but it's just the kind of fiddly unique bonus that my inner min-maxer wants to exploit and I worry I'm making character decisions based on mechanical benefit when they make little sense in-world.
    You're getting a lot of interpretation and house rules, so for the record: there is no exemption in RAW for supernatural powers.

The ground that many of these house rules are built on is shaky at best in my opinion - if a power includes a skill in its dice pool, that's because mundane capacity with that skill objectively improves your ability to apply the power. Restricting the benefits to mundane-only rolls makes sense only as a balance consideration, and arguments that try to anchor that decision in verisimilitude or narrative cohesion are fighting against the system itself to do so.

If balance is an important consideration for your table, it's not a bad idea to apply similar restrictions.

Leave a comment:

• Peteman
    replied
    Where are the rules on how much weight you can carry? I look up places online and it usually says you can carry 25 lbs per point of strength unencumbered, but I can't seem to find it in my digital copy of Chronicles of Darkness.

Leave a comment:

• Graylion
    replied
    I think in this regard the spirit of the rules wins over the letter of the rule. For example does a life long history in academics help you dominate as a vampire, not really. I consider it the same as supernatural templates not taking sup merits. The ability to dominate is far and above these piece merits that they should not have interaction unless they state it. Similar to blood sorcery stating no merit helps it unless it specifically call it out.
    Last edited by Graylion; 03-11-2020, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Yes, that's what I meant. 1e made it, functionally but not absolutely, a Hunter merit, while 2e just keeps including it in gameline after gameline.

As far as I can tell, it was there to give hunters an edge, not for changelings to game their Contract rolls.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    The difference between bluebook characters and tier 1 hunters is often marginal. Any problems in CofD also applies to HtV. However, it's inclusion in the other games brings another problem in that many uses Skills to dice pools other than regular Skill rolls, and the language used doesn't take that in mind.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    I usually just ban it. There's a reason, I feel, that the 1e version was a Hunter Merit rather than a bluebook one.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    As written, they do apply to all rolls using those Skills.

As a house rule, we only allow it for Skill rolls (i.e. Attribute + Skill, no third trait in the dice pool). I don't recall exactly if it's specifically only mundane Skill rolls, or if it's possible on power activation rolls without a third trait. Looking over a few of my character sheets it seems we've been inconsistent in that regard.
    We've also house rule it not to apply to attack rolls because otherwise you're basically forced to take your chosen combat Skill as an Asset Skill in combat heavy games if you don't want to noticably be worse than everyone else. Also, the constant rerolling of almost all dice in almost all attacks has bogged down the long running Vampire game that led us to create that house rule for all games we started after that one.

Leave a comment:

• Scriptorian
    replied
    Professional Training Merit: do the dice tricks (at 2 and 5 dots) apply to supernatural uses of the Asset Skills?

Because I'm working on a Beast character and realized that professional training as an athlete would somewhat inexplicably improve his ability to breath fire (it's treated as a thrown weapon, Dex + Athletics). The power-gamer in me says YES, but the storyteller in me has concerns...

Edit: this might just be a weird issue I have with the merit in general, because Firearms is explicitly a thing that can be benefited, which would probably be even more useful in combat than getting the tricks on fire-breathing. I guess it feels weird to have this potential benefit to combat skills hidden away in this merit. I could be a world-class sniper, but unless I got "professional training" in firearms, I don't get the 9-again benefit. I know 9-again is not that big a deal ... but it's just the kind of fiddly unique bonus that my inner min-maxer wants to exploit and I worry I'm making character decisions based on mechanical benefit when they make little sense in-world.
    Last edited by Scriptorian; 03-11-2020, 12:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• totalgit
    replied
    I see no real problem with gaining 3 temp willpower that are filled, spending 3 then loosing 3 willpower having your normal willpower. It becomes a problem when you can spend dots of willpower for things though. But ive always had it that if you spend a dot you have always lost a dot, even if you had temp willpower dots. Once you loose the temp willpower you have still lost a dot.

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    That's sensible. It feels not-quite-comparable because of the inherent differences in a pool of points vs a health pool - gaining the dots without gaining the points feels a bit like temporarily increasing your health but needing to heal in order to actually benefit from it.

That said, I think what you've landed at is the only solution that doesn't open itself up to bizarre exploits, and it's internally consistent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X