Crossover Concept - Detective Agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkblade View Post
    That said a more traditional homeless contact would be welcome.
    Crud, what I've got is way too close to Bill already. NVM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hastur00 View Post
      Crud, what I've got is way too close to Bill already. NVM.
      Hmm. What about highlighting the differences?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Finally finished up my write-up for Siobhan.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here's a story hook for an upcoming character I'll be posting. A Guardian/Saboteur Unchained who has a history with RickmanUK's Purified character, both as an Angel and a Demon.

"Police are still scrambling to investigate the particularly brutal murder of a couple whose son went missing at around the same time. But the local Unchained know that one of their own was the killer. They suspect that the boy may be the Cover of another Demon, but those Inquisitors and Integrators who have been monitoring the hunter-angels that appeared in the wake of the murder have noticed that they're only pursuing the murderer. Is the boy another Unchained? Or something else? The only one who might be able to offer an answers might be a new Guardian who has just arrived. And he seems to be racing against a clock to find the kid".

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here's the one character asked for but no one has delivered on, but I have to admit he isn't the least bit original.
            'Mr.' Hawk: (Mage/Obrimos/Arrow/Perfected Adept)
            There's one word to describe Hawk; Intimidating. He's big, black, bald, with a smile and laugh that reek predatory contempt. His role at the agency is the obvious 'big stick', he intimidates people the old fashion way. Sometimes that's all it takes to get someone to spill their secrets and when that doesn't work out...he shakes people up and people like that tend to lash out in reckless ways that often expose the very things they were trying to hide.
            It also helps that when things spill out in a violent mess he is a man capable of bringing down some heavy fire.
            Most people aren't surprised to learn that he spent time serving in the Army's special forces, they are surprised to learn it was as a field medic. Another useful skill to have when things go sideways.
            Hawk swore oaths to protect and those oaths define him. He is also experienced at working with a team and if he respects you, taking orders.
            If you haven't recognized him yet, just picture a thirty something Avery Brooks with a big gun.

Comment

Micheal O'Neal / Calvaris (Angel-Guardian, Rank 4, Exile)
              "I was about to retire..."

Chief Micheal O'Neal has served on the force diligently since his transfer a decade ago. Under his guidance, crime has ceased rising and unsolved cases have decreased. Though now occupying more of an administrative role, he still ventures out from time to time to back up new officers just getting their feet wet. He commands respect from the entire force, if not affection due to his being a stickler for the rules. To hear him say it, he's been close to retirement for years now, but still manages to be on the job each day.

At least, that's what everyone human knows. The Angel known as Calvaris was placed by the God-Machine as head of the local law enforcement, ostensibly to keep proper order for one of Its other projects. It's just... that task seems to have concluded, yet Calvaris was never recalled. He sits in his role, Exiled, awaiting orders that never come, carrying out a mission that seems increasingly impossible without compromise. He's still nominally loyal to the Machine, but circumstances have forced him to adopt less... optimal choices and methods. He's cut deals with other Supernatural forces and looked the other way when it maintains his efforts toward secrecy. He's even dealt with the Unchained on occasion. Mostly, he just wants to keep order, make sure the supernatural is concealed, and the law is obeyed, roughly in that order.

Concepts and Ideas: Angelic Police Chief, left in the cold. Guardian of the Masquerade. Defender of Law and Order, even as he is forced to compromise it.

Secrets: He's assembled dossiers of those he's identified in preparation for he return... but he's also contracted alternative Covers, in the event he finally Falls. Even he doesn't know how to resolve the apparent implications of betrayal in line with his professed loyalist position, and grow agitated if it is brought up.
              Knows the IE Detective Agency has Unchained, but doesn't know who they are.

Calvaris on others:
              Ishaq: The old man himself. In my missions, I've rarely encountered these ancient servitors of the long dead Empire, but in those cases, they've rarely turned out to be as... banal, as Ishaq appears to be. I'd almost like him, if he wasn't harboring Renegades amongst his ranks.
              Gabby: An annoying nuisance, mostly. Always asking questions, even when some of them shouldn't be asked in public.
              Maria: She used to be such a good cop, but then she let her anger and her Hunger get the better of her. We can't stoop to those levels and still expect to keep order and respect.
              Ms. Morte: A highly talented coroner, and an asset to the force. I suspect her bored, too-good-for-this attitude will keep her from climbing very high on the promotional ladder, though. A pity, though that won't stop me from sending some of the harder work her way.
              Jiller: The doctor is a nut - but a scary one. His obsession is peculiar on its own, but combined with his broken theories on criminal behavior, most just dismiss him. They're ignoring just how often he turns out to be right, even if his logic is a bit... unusual.
              Norwood: He's a pompous twit, but oddly successful. As long as he remains as clueless as the rest of the city, I'm not going to complain about the cases he resolves.
              Janet: As if we didn't have enough to worry about, now we've got some self-aware chat-bot engaging in cyber-crime.
              Jonathan: As long as he keeps out of the spotlight, he's welcome to steward the lost waifs he collects. He just better make sure they keep their noses clean and don't end up in juvy

Vera: A chaotic, lawless element to be eliminated at the earliest opportunity. If only I could get the budget to afford to do so.
              Albrecht: He hides behind lawyers and connections, but with his predilections, sooner or later he's going to trip up and leave evidence he can't worm out of. Then he's mine.
              Landen: The alderman likes his plots and plans kept out of sight. It's amusing to think he can complete with the true Architect. As long as he doesn't make a scene, he's welcome to spin whatever little schemes he can come up with for the Machine to turn to Its favor.
              Akzari:
              One of the most dangerous Renegades in the city. It took me months to root out his corruption from my police force. I know some of my peers think he's been destroyed, but I've seen his influence moving in the shadows still. Maybe bringing him in will get the Machine's attention...
              Last edited by Vent0; 06-22-2016, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Vent0: I'd like to add Quon Li. His personality isn't very well developed at the moment, as I wrote him in 1 hour for Wyrdhamster. I figure he would be quite a good listener and practical, but arrogant and greedy. He is upfront about this greed though, and while he prefers to have few partners, he can co-operate to a fair extent. He also has a lot of money for a detective and several magic items, which he is really good at using as leverage. Your thoughts?

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                  Vent0: I'd like to add Quon Li. His personality isn't very well developed at the moment, as I wrote him in 1 hour for Wyrdhamster. I figure he would be quite a good listener and practical, but arrogant and greedy. He is upfront about this greed though, and while he prefers to have few partners, he can co-operate to a fair extent. He also has a lot of money for a detective and several magic items, which he is really good at using as leverage. Your thoughts?

Interesting... how do you see him working with the agency's existing Anakim?

Comment

JOHN GRANGER (Hunter/Sin-Eater)
                    I originally built John to be super-investigation focused. He's got all the great investigative merits: Eidetic Memory, Professional Training (Detective), Trained Observer, Patience, Good Time-Management, etc. However, the stories he wound up in forced him to develop more combat capability. After five years of playing him, he was basically a superhero. He even picked up that Combat Archery merit from the Hurt Locker preview, and can now reliably bow-stake multiple vampires in a single action. Eventually, he nearly died and became a Sin-Eater. The main powers he uses from that are the increased resilience, the Pyre-Flame Shroud (he loves putting the fear into vampires by bursting into flame during a fight), and his Keystone which is a (souped up by his Geist back when it was human) WWII motorcycle. He's kind of ridiculous, honestly, an insane mashup of Ghost Rider, Green Arrow, the Crow, Sherlock Holmes, and the Punisher.

As for my favorite investigative anecdote: One time he was attempting to acquire intelligence on a high-profile vampire target's haven. The ST made it an extended action, with each roll representing an eighteen-hour day of investigation. Ok. So, Good Time Management let me cut the roll-time to nine hours, so I had plenty of time to rest and regain a Willpower after each roll. My base Intelligence + Investigation pool was nine, so Patience would give me 11 rolls. I used a Willpower on each roll for Professional Training to make it a Rote Action. The bonuses from equipment, Contacts, etc made my dice pool for each roll (even after accounting for penalties from the vampire's Haven merit) a total of 14. I shit you not, I rolled 100 successes.

The ST was blown away. He said, "Ok, so the first 25 of those are an Exceptional Success of Exceptional Successes. You know everything there is to know about the building, its layout, its security, all of it. To represent that, and to save me the trouble of having to draw up a super detailed schematic of the place, the other 75 successes are bonus dice you can add to yours or anyone else's dice pool during the operation."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      Interesting... how do you see him working with the agency's existing Anakim?
                      Marias is a physically powerful giantess who looks out for children and other people she sees as helpless, and she does this out of idealism. Quon wants to make sure the big guys know they can't just take whatever and whomever they want, but he does this mostly for his satisfaction, and to share stories with other supernaturals (which is when he suddenly gets a lot more talkative). He wants his Kin to know that there better ways to inspired respect than to make people disappear and keep secrets, and that there are things out who can do the same to them. They don't always listen, but Quon is patient. He knows some things always get lost, and that's when he can shed some light on the truth.

So, I guess Marias is the sanguine idealist with a chip on her shoulder, while Quon is the choleric pragmatist who's in the business more for fun and profit. They probably would disagree often, but they would agree they can't just let supernaturals rule over mortals unchecked.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Kenneth Trager [Redeemed Alchemist, Formerly Osiran Mystic]
                        - The IE Agency employs the services of a number of special people, and the man named Kenneth Trager is no exception. A social worker who is ocasionally called in as a consultant, he seems mundane apart from his interest in alchemy and the occult. Those who look deeper into his life (and met him in another) know that he has more intriguing origins.

Kenneth was not born human, but instead came into the world gasping for breath at the shallows of a dark lake. He was once a Promethean, the result of an Ophidian's studies on the Divine Fire. And his Pilgrimage began the day he refused to join his creator in embracing the Refinement of Flux. He spent many years preparing for his Great Work, passing through different Refinements and Roles in his efforts to understand humanity. He became especially defined by his experiences as an Originist and Mystic, as he was exposed to the experiences of not only his fellow Created, but other supernaturals. In time, he formed a throng with several like-minded Prometheans, and explored much of the World of Darkness in their company.

The Nepri's New Dawn came during what he recalls was his final confrontation with his creator. The Centimanus and his pack of Pandorans had been hunting the throng for weeks, and had already managed to kill two of their number. In order to allow his friends to live, Kenneth chose to hold off the pack and sacrifice himself by triggering a Firestorm. The resulting inferno also consumed the Pandorans and his mentor, and allowed his surviving throngmates to escape.

It was sheer luck that enough of the Osiran's body remained for him to return to life. However, what would be his final Journey to the River would be the only time he came upon Anahita, The River of Life. And once he drank of its waters, he was revived not as a Promethean, but as a true human being.

Kenneth's last resurrection left him with memories of the life built up by the Great Work. As a human, he was a quiet and introverted person who had been the only child of his family. He had spent a few years as an independent social worker before settling down at a job in a local school. Since then, he has come to be well-liked not only by the faculty for his dilligent work ethic, but also by the students for his genuine concern for their well-being. And if there was ever one quality of his that was considered eccentric, it was his fascination for the paranormal and supernatural.

The Redeemed would remember his old life when he crossed paths with a Promethean at the school. He had noticed her coming to the library from time to time, browsing on the books and computers on one subject or another. But it was only when he decided to tail her one day that it would all come back to him, when he witnessed the Promethean be attacked by a Pandoran. She managed to put the creature down, but ended up flaring her Disfigurements upon drawing on her Pyros. Kenneth saw her briefly for what she was, and it stoked the lingering embers of his Azoth within him.

Kenneth took a brief sabbatical following that encounter to properly sort out the memories that came back. He remembered everything: how he spent years as a reanimated corpse working to become human, and how he had finallly attained it after he died fighting the monster that once was his progenitor. He recalled other creatures like him who sought to do the same, and he knew that the woman he tried to follow was one of them.

Other aspects of his prior existence slowly resurfaced. The former Nepri began sensing paranormal forces at work around him, and he could even affect them to an extent by focusing his will to invoke certain abilities. And as he further explored his old memories, Kenneth felt the need to give more meaning to his life, and to help his former fellows bring themselves closer to the Dawn. This eventually led him to the study of Azothic Alchemy.

Unlike most Alchemists, Kenneth came to his craft with good intentions and experience from his past life. He does not wish to improve or transcend his humanity beyond the changes he already received. Instead, his studies are geared towards aiding any Created he encounters. He knows that mortality can be achieved, and is willing to lend a hand to a Promethean in deciphering the next step in his Great Work. The former Nepri's studies are also driven by personal reasons. He remembers having been part of a throng, and that he had left them behind after giving his life fighting his creator and subsequently achieving the New Dawn. He has worked to ascertain their whereabouts ever since, wanting to know whether or not they had succeeded as he had.

Face Cast

Notes:
                        • Kenneth is an Alchemist of Magnitude 4, and has developed the following Distillations -- Strike the Heart, Biting Aura, Confession, Daybreak, Dazzling Corona, Outshining the Sun, Nameless, Safe Sojourn, Soothe, and Jolt.
                        • Kenneth is one of the few Redeemed who retained a fragment of his original power. He can use the Veritas Alembic and its associated Distillations, using Willpower or Pyros to activate them. These do not count towards the number based on his Magnitude.
                        • Kenneth suffers from the Sick Tilt when exposed to Flux-based creatures. Centimani and active Pandorans inflict the moderate version, whereas a Lilithim causes the grave version.
                        • Failing certain Distillations causes the Degaussed Condition.
                        • Kenneth experiences a limited form of Disquiet. Whenever he fails a Breaking Point roll, anyone in his presence must make a Disquiet roll, with an effective Azoth equal to [10 - the Alchemist's Integrity].
                        • Kenneth's Milestone Refinements were Aurum, Plumbum, Argentum, and Phosphorum. His Milestone Roles were those of Companion, Follower, Chronicler, Pilgrim, Explorer, Daredevil, Psychopomp, Watcher, Envoy, and Observer.
                        Last edited by Deionscribe; 08-10-2016, 11:50 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                          Kenneth Trager [Redeemed Alchemist, Formerly Osiran Mystic]
                          - The IE Agency employs the services of a number of special people, and the man named Kenneth Trager is no exception. A social worker who is ocasionally called in as a consultant, he seems mundane apart from his interest in alchemy the occult. Those who look deeper into his life (and met him in another) know that he has more intriguing origins.
                          Always happy to have more join the crew. How did Kenneth encounter the IE detective agency, or did they contact him?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                            Always happy to have more join the crew. How did Kenneth encounter the IE detective agency, or did they contact him?
                            I imagine they reached out to him first, seeing as he normally keeps a low profile to avoid attracting more unsavory Alchemists (and hunters). And I imagine they might not have been immediately aware he had supernatural talents until he was approached for questioning on a case concerning someone he likely knew or was at least acquainted with.

On a semi-related note, seeing as his most favored Refinement as a Promethean was that of the Mystic, I can also picture Kenneth having picked up Merits that reflect his interest in the supernatural (like Deadpan and Ritual Savvy from Mage). Plus, I was thinking that some of his research might have allowed (or will eventually allow) him to develop a few Supernatural Merits to supplement his Distillations.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Kenneth's Outtakes

Ishaq: "I can't help but think there's a link between the Nepri and these Deathless somehow. There are just too many similarities between them. Perhaps he knows something I don't?"

Friday: "She's polite with me, but she always keeps her distance whenever she comes to me for input. I have a feeling she knows what I can do, even though I've done my best to keep a low profile".

Gabby: "Oh, Gabrielle isn't bad company. She's only annoyed with me whenever she makes the mistake of using her powers while sneaking up on me. But really, she's harmless unless you've got a story for her."

Maria: "One of my good friends was a Beast like her, and he helped me keep to the Pilgrimage when I came close to stepping off. That only made it harder for me when I learned he gave up being human. May Miss Katsaros never fall into that fate".

Wash: "The truth might not be what you want, but it's almost always what you need. He understands that sentiment, at least."

Ms. Morte: "We have an understanding as research partners. She keeps me in the loop on Consilium affairs and provides me with certain reagents. In return, I give her whatever she needs to work her own magic. So far, I have no reason to regret this arrangement".

Anton: "It's funny how I'm still afraid of death, even after dying three times. I cannot help but be envious of him with how blaise he can normally be about it"

Bill: "I don't know what to make of him, really. He isn't human, and he certainly isn't anything I've ever seen before.

Jiller: "I know he's shown interest in Disquiet. But for my sake and everyone else's, I hope he never experiences it."

Norwood: "It's amazing how he can go about his life not believing in what lies in the shadows. If it weren't for his redeeming behavior towards Warner, I wouldn't be so tolerant of him."

Warner: "He's somewhat likeable, despite what kind of being he is. But I still observe him with a wary eye."

Aldo: "There was an old story I heard from a vampire I met. It spoke of a quest for mortality not unlike the Pilgrimage. Perhaps if he chose to walk that road, he might perhaps be free of his condition."

Janet: "She has a long road ahead of her. And I can only hope she finds the Dawn despite whatever hardships come her way."

Elliot: "He's still trying to understand just how a body reanimated by the Divine Fire can transform into a real person with a paper trail of history. But other than that, he's a good person to compare notes with."

Siobhan: "You can learn a great deal from the stories she collects. You just have to listen."

GG: "I can understand why she goes digging for secrets. But some things are best left in the dark".

Vera: "She's a Firestorm waiting to happen. And when it finally hits, nothing be spared."

Albrecht: "He's only sticking to vampires, right now, but I've seen other Alchemists do what they do for the same reasons. If he starts dabbling in any way, he needs to be dealt with fast".
                              Last edited by Deionscribe; 08-14-2016, 12:15 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Oh, Warner Roach is contributing to the "In-Character" discussion on the Princess Discord here: https://discordapp.com/channels/3730...25840501293066

Respecting creator control, I'll reference others listed here but make no changes or definitive statements regarding characters not my own. If you want to join in, feel free.
                                Last edited by Vent0; 09-15-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X