Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultra-Light Psychic Powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ultra-Light Psychic Powers

    Because sometimes, Supernatural merits are too much works, you guys.

    Psychic Speciality (•; Supernatural)
    Effect: Select a speciality and either a physical requirement or potential source of penalties for its skill. When making a roll where that speciality applies, you may reflexively spend one Willpower to ignore the chosen physical requirement or source of penalties for that roll.


    Some examples:
    • Combine a social speciality with "speech", get a limited form of projective telepathy.
    • Combine Weaponry (Katana) with "blindness" to be a kickass blind swordsman.
    • Combine a mental speciality with "research materials", and you're downloading all your knowledge from the Akashic library.

    It could be better written (the wording is clumsy as all hell), but you get the basic idea.


    I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

    So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

  • #2
    Interesting, psychic specialty- medicine for psychic surgery.

    Although now I'm picturing characters with psychic knives by taking a hypothetical higher level version of that merit.

    Comment


    • #3
      • Combine a Firearms speciality with "cover", get a bullets that twist and turn and phase through the air to ignore even protective walls as long as you know the target is there.
      • Combine a Weaponry speciality with "required implement" and perform deadly sword strokes with a chair.
      • Combine a Brawl speciality with "touch", and you're making deadly kinetic strikes at long range.

      • Combine a Computer speciality with "interface" and manifest holographic screens and required interface from nowhere.
      • Combine a Crafts speciality with "components" and you can create any required components for your creations from nowhere as long as you hold the tools.
      • Combine a Medicine speciality with "tools" and you can meld and weave the flesh of living creatures like clay.

      • Combine an Animal Ken speciality with "animals" and you can force invisible demon-wolves to tear your enemies apart.
      • Combine an Intimidation speciality with "speech" and you can make someone flee with a glance towards them.
      • Combine a Subterfuge speciality with "plausibility" and you can dictate someone's reality with nothing more than speech.


      Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

      "The weeping in the world will not decrease if we do not weep together."

      Comment


      • #4
        Now for some alternate skills!

        • Combine an Archery speciality with "ammunition" and create arrows of pure, spiritual energy to pierce your opponents.
        • Combine a Ride speciality with "mount" to hover above the ground, borne on invisible wings.
        • Combine an Enigmas speciality with "research" and hear the answers to your questions be answered in the wind.
        • Combine a Religion speciality with "unfamiliar scripture" and see the common trends in all religions, binding them together as you effortlessly perform their rituals.
        • Combine a Warfare speciality with "soldiers" and the phantoms of war will come to aid you when you are in need.


        Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

        "The weeping in the world will not decrease if we do not weep together."

        Comment


        • #5
          Sweetness.

          Here's a revised version, born from sleep (and checking the Strange FATE srd, which has a similar effect as an Extra.)

          Psychic Speciality (•; Supernatural)
          Effect: Choose a speciality you possess. You may reflexively spend Willpower; for the remainder of the Scene, actions where that speciality apply do not require interaction between you and your target, as long as they would otherwise be in range.

          Ranged Speciality (•; Supernatural)
          Prerequisites: Psychic Speciality
          Effect: Choose a speciality that you have the Psychic Speciality merit for. You may reflexively spend Willpower to increase the range of any action where that speciality applies by one step for the remainder of the Scene. In general, an action that requires physical contact is Close range, while social interaction below the level of shouting is at Short range.

          Unusual Speciality (•-•••; Supernatural)
          Prerequisites: Psychic Speciality
          Effect: Choose a speciality that you have the Psychic Speciality merit for. When you take an action where that speciality applies, you may reflexively spend Willpower to ignore some necessary equipment or preparation, using your dots in Unusual Speciality as its equipment or weapon bonus.


          So a Psychic Speciality in Weaponry (Knives) would let you shank someone without actually moving, a Ranged Speciality in Weaponry(Knives) lets you attack like a Final Fantasy character, and an Unusual Speciality in Weaponry (Knives) would let you shank someone with your empty hands. Combine the three to make knife wounds appear on people when you glare at them.

          To go over some of the ideas above:

          Psychic Surgery: Unusual Speciality in Medicine (Surgery).

          Bullets ignore Cover: Psychic Speciality in Firearms.
          Deadly Sword-Chair: Unusual Speciality in Weaponry (Swords). The chair is to make the whole thing look less ridiculous, really.
          Ring the Golden Bell: Ranged Speciality in Brawl.

          Psychic TV Screens: Unusual Speciality in Computers.
          Craftsman Needs No Raw Materials: Can't do this one, sorry. You can do the opposite, though; Unusual Speciality in Craft (Making Stuff) lets you ignore the need for tools.
          See Psychic Surgery for this one.

          By Forest Law...: If you can get your ST to allow you to treat animals as equipment, this one's just an Unusual Speciality in Animal Ken. I wouldn't allow it personally*.
          Stop Looking At Me!: Psychic Speciality in Intimidate.
          I Am The Moon!: An Unusual Speciality in Subterfuge (Bald-Faced Lies) should cover this. This is more the territory of a Cheater, though.

          Spirit Arrows: Unusual Speciality in Archery.
          Invisible Horse: Unusual Speciality in Ride (kinda? You'd need to figure out your "mount"'s speed...)
          A Little Birdie Told Me: Unusual Speciality in Enigmas.
          One of These HAS to Work!: Unusual Speciality in Religion.
          Me and THIS Army: See By Forest Law...


          Part of me is wondering if I should toss together another merit that allows you to make attacks with rolls that fall within your speciality with skills that aren't normally used to hurt people. So stuff like causing internal bleeding with Intimidate, convincing their autonomic processes to slow down with Subterfuge, having a nearby animal attack them...


          I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

          So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

          Comment


          • #6
            How would purely physical, personal actions come into play here? Like, for example, jumping? Or fast(-er) healing?


            Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              How would purely physical, personal actions come into play here? Like, for example, jumping? Or fast(-er) healing?
              Psychic Jumping: I'd go with a very short range teleport. You aren't interacting with the intervening space, you see.
              Ranged Jumping: Jump super good.
              Both: Teleport a decent range. Let's call it 30 yards.

              Healing... maybe Medicine (Self), and some considerations about letting Medicine speed up natural healing? Then Unnatural Speciality for Medicine (Self), combined with spending willpower on Psychic Speciality, would let you apply medical care to yourself by concentrating hard.


              I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

              So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by amechra View Post

                Psychic Jumping: I'd go with a very short range teleport. You aren't interacting with the intervening space, you see.
                Ranged Jumping: Jump super good.
                Both: Teleport a decent range. Let's call it 30 yards.

                Healing... maybe Medicine (Self), and some considerations about letting Medicine speed up natural healing? Then Unnatural Speciality for Medicine (Self), combined with spending willpower on Psychic Speciality, would let you apply medical care to yourself by concentrating hard.
                Okay. What about something like Quick(ened) Speciality that lets you perform certain actions quicker than normal? Combined with the others, self-surgery in a fraction of the time? Or Psychic running really fast? Hacking at inhuman speeds?


                Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Alright, for organizational purposes:

                  • Normally, actions require a few things:
                  1. Do you have the necessary tools for the job? If No, stop.
                  2. Are they in working order? If No, stop.
                  3. Is the subject of your action in reach? If No, stop.
                  4. Is there anything in your way? If Yes, stop.
                  5. Roll for the action.
                  • Psychic lets you skip step 4 entirely.
                  • Ranged lets you extend your reach.
                  • Unusual lets you ignore steps 1 and 2.

                  So I'm considering having Unusual just let you sidestep 2 for a Scene. So you'd be able to chop people to pieces with a baguette, hack the Pentagon with your cell phone, or drive a car without fuel, but you couldn't, say, just mime getting into a car and suddenly drive away at 66,600 fpf.

                  I'm assuming Quickened would cost Willpower per use of the skill, but I'd let it give you Medium Autofire or Covering Fire with that skill (equivalently). So you could be ultra quick and hack all the computers in range simultaneously, or get an Extended Action done super quickly.


                  I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

                  So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by amechra View Post
                    Sweetness.

                    Here's a revised version, born from sleep (and checking the Strange FATE srd, which has a similar effect as an Extra.)

                    Psychic Speciality (•; Supernatural)
                    Effect: Choose a speciality you possess. You may reflexively spend Willpower; for the remainder of the Scene, actions where that speciality apply do not require interaction between you and your target, as long as they would otherwise be in range.

                    Ranged Speciality (•; Supernatural)
                    Prerequisites: Psychic Speciality
                    Effect: Choose a speciality that you have the Psychic Speciality merit for. You may reflexively spend Willpower to increase the range of any action where that speciality applies by one step for the remainder of the Scene. In general, an action that requires physical contact is Close range, while social interaction below the level of shouting is at Short range.

                    Unusual Speciality (•-•••; Supernatural)
                    Prerequisites: Psychic Speciality
                    Effect: Choose a speciality that you have the Psychic Speciality merit for. When you take an action where that speciality applies, you may reflexively spend Willpower to ignore some necessary equipment or preparation, using your dots in Unusual Speciality as its equipment or weapon bonus.


                    So a Psychic Speciality in Weaponry (Knives) would let you shank someone without actually moving, a Ranged Speciality in Weaponry(Knives) lets you attack like a Final Fantasy character, and an Unusual Speciality in Weaponry (Knives) would let you shank someone with your empty hands. Combine the three to make knife wounds appear on people when you glare at them.
                    This is cool.

                    Originally posted by amechra View Post
                    To go over some of the ideas above:

                    Psychic Surgery: Unusual Speciality in Medicine (Surgery).

                    Bullets ignore Cover: Psychic Speciality in Firearms.
                    Deadly Sword-Chair: Unusual Speciality in Weaponry (Swords). The chair is to make the whole thing look less ridiculous, really.
                    Ring the Golden Bell: Ranged Speciality in Brawl.

                    Psychic TV Screens: Unusual Speciality in Computers.
                    Craftsman Needs No Raw Materials: Can't do this one, sorry. You can do the opposite, though; Unusual Speciality in Craft (Making Stuff) lets you ignore the need for tools.
                    See Psychic Surgery for this one.

                    By Forest Law...: If you can get your ST to allow you to treat animals as equipment, this one's just an Unusual Speciality in Animal Ken. I wouldn't allow it personally*.
                    Stop Looking At Me!: Psychic Speciality in Intimidate.
                    I Am The Moon!: An Unusual Speciality in Subterfuge (Bald-Faced Lies) should cover this. This is more the territory of a Cheater, though.

                    Spirit Arrows: Unusual Speciality in Archery.
                    Invisible Horse: Unusual Speciality in Ride (kinda? You'd need to figure out your "mount"'s speed...)
                    A Little Birdie Told Me: Unusual Speciality in Enigmas.
                    One of These HAS to Work!: Unusual Speciality in Religion.
                    Me and THIS Army: See By Forest Law...

                    This is pretty neat. Why doesn't the Craft trick work though? I'd consider "Components" a physical requirement you should be able to ignore, but let's here your reason.

                    Originally posted by amechra View Post
                    Part of me is wondering if I should toss together another merit that allows you to make attacks with rolls that fall within your speciality with skills that aren't normally used to hurt people. So stuff like causing internal bleeding with Intimidate, convincing their autonomic processes to slow down with Subterfuge, having a nearby animal attack them...
                    Yes. Do this.


                    Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

                    "The weeping in the world will not decrease if we do not weep together."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'd just like to say I find the idea of skills-minus-limitations powers wonderfully elegant

                      Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      Okay. What about something like Quick(ened) Speciality that lets you perform certain actions quicker than normal? Combined with the others, self-surgery in a fraction of the time? Or Psychic running really fast? Hacking at inhuman speeds?
                      OOH, ooh, I want some!

                      Animal Ken: Playing Beastmaster (make allies of attacking dogs if you're really fast)
                      Expression: World's most prolific author/world's fastest guitarist
                      Craft: One-man factory
                      Empathy: Instantaneous Analyst
                      Politics/Socialize: Breathtakingly efficient bureaucrat

                      Not to mention whatever elements of Social Combat any individual skill might accelerate.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hastur00 View Post
                        I'd just like to say I find the idea of skills-minus-limitations powers wonderfully elegant


                        OOH, ooh, I want some!

                        Animal Ken: Playing Beastmaster (make allies of attacking dogs if you're really fast)
                        Expression: World's most prolific author/world's fastest guitarist
                        Craft: One-man factory
                        Empathy: Instantaneous Analyst
                        Politics/Socialize: Breathtakingly efficient bureaucrat

                        Not to mention whatever elements of Social Combat any individual skill might accelerate.
                        Investigate: Sherlock Scan.
                        Occult: Psychic Download or Serendipity.
                        Persuasion: "Join the dark side" "Okay".


                        Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ManusDomine View Post
                          This is pretty neat. Why doesn't the Craft trick work though? I'd consider "Components" a physical requirement you should be able to ignore, but let's here your reason.
                          I'd say it doesn't work because...

                          1. The intent of the Merit is that you have a different method of carrying out the basic purpose of the skill. As an extension of that...
                          2. The raw materials are what you do Craft to, just like how I'd say that Drive needs a vehicle that you can do Drive to, and Animal Ken requires an animal that you can do Animal Ken to.
                          3. If you went all "I don't need tools to craft", you're still probably taking actions that an outside observer could look at and go "yep, they're crafting something", rather than "why is that crazy person waving tools around?" It's a more cromulent action, basically.
                          4. Oh sweet baby Yehoshoa, the edge cases. It'd be like defining your (original) Psychic Speciality as letting you ignore "things that would stop me from shooting any person I please". Nukes in the basement, poison gas in the middle of fights, the list goes on and on.
                          5. That being said, I'm fine with you doing it at your table. I just wouldn't allow it myself unless there's a good internal logic for it.

                          So... the new list is going to be:

                          • Distant Speciality
                          • Hard Knack
                          • Psychic Speciality
                          • Rapid Speciality
                          • Unusual Speciality
                          • Violent Speciality

                          With Distant, Psychic, and Unusual Specialities being Willpower/Scene, and Rapid and Violent Specialities being Willpower/Action. Hard Knack is going to be passive (it lets you make Clash of Will rolls with your Speciality dice if your action opposes something Supernatural that would normally always succeed). I might toss in one for movement, but you can already get something like flight with Athletics (Balance) and Unusual Speciality. Of course there's a tightrope between the two sides of the canyon!

                          Hastur00 To be fair, I feel they are terribly elegant as well. I've been thinking about this for a while.


                          I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

                          So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Maybe for Crafts, you could get away with not requiring certain components up to limit? Maybe based on the complexity of the item you are crafting. I do like the idea of making a gun that doesn't have a firing pin but still works because 'psychic'.



                            Backer #2010

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by amechra View Post
                              I might toss in one for movement, but you can already get something like flight with Athletics (Balance) and Unusual Speciality. Of course there's a tightrope between the two sides of the canyon!
                              Provided you don't look down, of course. Gravity doesn't exist if you aren't paying attention to it.


                              Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X