Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon Rekindled: The Orobori Chronicles (Embers Reboot)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post

Maybe make it a Clash of Wills? Dragons may be ancient, but Mages, Demons and Changelings are all pretty good at deal-related fuckery at high levels. You're bringing an ancient serpent-god into conflict with either a gnostic wonder-worker of godlike potential, a super-liar with root access to reality, or a being warped to the edge of humanity by the metaphysical force of fate and narrative itself. It's hard to say who exactly would win in such a face-off. Or, fate-off? I'll see myself out.
    That was my first thought when dealing with stated ability. Problem is that it runs into two issues.

The first is theme.

The Immutable as a archetype gather power from power of their bonds and the truth of their lives. While other archetypes play with the idea of truth to power, The Immutable is the one that hammers home the ideal of it the most. They embody concepts (and more importantly, meaning) that can be socially distorted, circumvented, covered, and even suspended for a time but like gravity, will continue to exist, undamaged and unmoved. When the universe comes crashing down and reveals to them their insignificance, they respond with their existence. When it asks "What is Truth?", they respond with their lives of fire and meaning.

Now granted, this maybe overkill to how the Blood was portrayed but meh.

idle thought: The way things are looking, this might as well be Dragon: The Existential Crisis

Now this is all fine and dandy but what does this mean?

It means the Immutable strengths are not in offensive power but rather their ability to remain truthful (and honorable) in a world that laughs at the concept and while they're pledges are somewhat weaker to the other archetypes (extra willpower, free healing, auto successes), they gain innate ability have all promises in relation to them become Pledges and thus are judged on spirit of the law vs the letter (which is powerful in it's own niche, useless in others)

Drawback being they can't enter any other type. Changeling boons do nothing, Demon (Descent and Inferno) pacts fail to find purchase, etc to a dragon other than a Pledge being enacted. Also Draconic pledges focus on intent than action. If either party has intent to sabotage the other while the pledge is being enacted, it fails.

This is mostly due to two reasons:

The first highlighting the ideal of the dragon being the avatar of unyielding truth and raw meaning and thus someone who doesn't have their heart in the words that they are saying isn't someone worth trucking with.

the second is the meta concept of that Pledges completed for the Immutable are their ladder for exp and this provides a comfort to the player that he/she is not going to screwed immediately on the other party not being genuine on a archetype that bases it's power on being genuine.

Lastly, an appropriate drawback the dragon when he/she fails a Pledge. Was toying with the idea of removing the number of attributes being erased for the timespan of the Pledge or 30 days (whichever is longer) with the complete wipe of her breath track. A dragon who has one pledge gets +2 attributes, breaking it removes -2 for 30 days and loses all the current breath she has. Not big of an issue for a Immutable at low level but when a Immutable who starts to fail pledge after pledge, they can easily end up on death's door.

But if we want to weakened this power still, we can still have the Dragon enter into Pacts/Changeling Pledges/etc but any promise with them in it is judged by Intent rather the Letter which is still quite powerful.

Again, this is just a few thoughts and not the final thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Shock; 07-11-2017, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock View Post
      SOMETHING ABOUT WORKING ON REDOING THE PHILOSOPHIES FROM SCRATCH
      Oh god, please no... Releasing that chapter is literally one of the next three things on my TODO list, and it's almost done... (the other two are these dev-hell Purview and Deep One writeups...) We'll look at what you've written in our next meeting, which will be to finalize the Philosophy list, but I should be clear: we are literally in the process of readying Chapter 2 for proofreading and release, so if you want to throw us ideas your time is better spent on smaller things or on the World Building of the Storyteller's guide which we are still a little ways from...

Originally posted by Shock View Post
      idle thought: The way things are looking, this might as well be Dragon: The Existential Crisis
      ...Yeah, that's about a third of the mid and late game...

Originally posted by Shock View Post
      Changeling boons do nothing, Demon (Descent and Inferno) pacts fail to find purchase, etc to a dragon other than a Pledge being enacted. Also Draconic pledges focus on intent than action. If either party has intent to sabotage the other while the pledge is being enacted, it fails.
      Hmm... What if I added some component to the philosophies where they could actively subvert or alter the use of other powers based on their philosophies...?

Like, what if Blood had the power to FORCE supernatural deals like that to be held to intent instead of letter? What if Sweat could give bonuses to their others? We were toying with the idea of how we could give the Philosophies more potency, but all we've added so far was giving them an innate sense of things, and the ability to add their Heartstring to certain social traits, so we could use something that becomes potent with non-dragon magic...

Edit: this is hilarious: the first person to click that Deep One link I hid in there is listed as "Anonymous Kraken"
      Last edited by RockstarRaccoon; 07-10-2017, 11:54 PM.

Dragon Rekindled: The Oroboroi Chronicles.
      The official reboot of Dragon: The Embers.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockstarRaccoon View Post
        Oh god, please no... Releasing that chapter is literally one of the next two things on my TODO list, and it's almost done...

Edit: just to be clear, we'll look at what you've written, but we are literally in the process of readying Chapter 2 for proofreading and release, so your time is better spent elsewhere...
        Speak of the devil and he will appear. When I was last with the project, I was tasked with trying to find how the philosophies in terms of what the direction the game was going (and namely how Dragons obtain Breath). A series of life events happened and the project fell off the radar until someone tried to get ahold of me.

Now seeing that original goal through (As late as it is), I present a system that ties innately with Beats and Aspirations that in turn ties nicely with theme of building one's Legend as well as a way to obtain Breath (if it isn't the main way to do so) with a few perks that can be expanded upon later.

Now granted this so late in the process that it most likely will not be included but can exist as a hack to flesh out later as there is always a new edition.

As for time spent elsewhere, I'll look the current state and collect my notes. I have time available in the upcoming weekend to discuss if you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock View Post
          Speak of the devil and he will appear.
          Yep, that's me. >:|

When I was last with the project, I was tasked with trying to find how the philosophies in terms of what the direction the game was going (and namely how Dragons obtain Breath).
          Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that...

until someone tried to get ahold of me.
          Me again. :|

I present a system that ties innately with Beats and Aspirations that in turn ties nicely with theme of building one's Legend as well as a way to obtain Breath (if it isn't the main way to do so) with a few perks that can be expanded upon later. Now granted this so late in the process that it most likely will not be included but can exist as a hack to flesh out later as there is always a new edition.
          It's appreciated, and I'll look for a way to use some of that, but yeah, it's a bit late to fold stuff like that in... Remember, this project has a lot of focus on, not simply crowdsourcing as the previous ones did, but trying to distill the previous material down into a well-reconciled set of internally-consistent rules... And sure, I'm sure in a few years someone else will pick this up for another rewrite: I'm already seeing a couple missed opportunities and things that could've been done better with our version that it's now too late to fix... I just don't want to be designing this thing for another year: there's always going to be new ideas that can be added, but eventually you have to get it done with.

I have time available in the upcoming weekend to discuss if you want.
          Alright! You're still in the Skype group, so we'll have a meeting this weekend. :3

Comment

• Team Application

Suppose I'd be interested in being a playtester, but I'm not entirely sure what would go into making one of the Orobori. From what I've been reading of it so far it seems to be something along the lines of, you slew a dragon, and had the brilliant idea of consuming it's supernatural power source (in this case, it's heart) and you became the thing you slew, kind of. Which means to me that most characters would likely be either Hunters or Heroes, as those are the most likely groups of mortals to deal with the supernatural in the first place. There's no being born into being an Orobori, if I am recalling correctly (some of this is based off the original book). Character concepts are something I usually work on for a good while (I've spent weeks working on Ophelia, my shadowrun latent drake) because I generally prefer to do things right. Usually it helps if I know the GM that's running the game and the type of game that they want to run (Because, seriously, you can run pretty much any kind of splat in wildly different ways). I know you likely have way too many playtesters, so I doubt this really is what you are looking for, but eh. I do like heavy roleplay focused games, less focused on say.. combat. If I wanted to play a high-fantasy combat simulator I'd be playing D&D, where turning into a dragon is only one of the many things you can do at high levels. But no, I like my gritty, semi-realistic world where fantastic things happen and you have to roleplay how your character handles and interacts with them.

As for the why would I be interested, I've always been intrigued by dragons. Just a quirk of mine. I've read or watched many of the modern fiction, mythology, etc. Not all of it, of course, but a decent amount I've gone out of my way to read for myself. Though I will say that Dragon and the George was a book I kind of got bored of really quickly unfortunately as the protagonist didn't feel that... draconic. His dragon form seems to have gotten forgotten the second he remembered he could into the human form, and then it hardly ever showed up from then on. Really disappointed me.

I've worked on my own side-project before, a Drake Rework for Shadowrun. Sadly the Catalyst forums went down so I've never felt the need to finish proofing it with nowhere to post it. Though I did go and do a fuck load of research on drakes for that rework document. I doubt it's anything quite on the scale of this project, but who knows, I may be able to contribute in some small way. Even if it's just being a slightly above-average roleplayer.

So I suppose if you want to have me on the team, send me a PM with the contact details. Otherwise, I'll just patiently wait and see if this project gets finalized and maybe hope into a game after it's development elapses.
            Last edited by ReshyShira; 07-11-2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• Yoouuu are writing long paragraphs that make me not want to read until I'm more awake than I am now... And that makes me hesitant to put you on something right away.... But we're talking about you in the Skype and we know what to do with you, (gonna make you proofread) and it seems like a promising application.

This is probably ACCEPTED. PM me you Skype name and I'll get back to you when I get to my computer...

Edit: actually, we don't really have anyone clambering to playtest this. Mostly it's been tested through raw math and simulations... It's a thing I'd rather have had more people to help with earlier, like art...
              Last edited by RockstarRaccoon; 07-11-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Ok, gonna look over this in more detail.
                Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
                From what I've been reading of it so far it seems to be something along the lines of, you slew a dragon, and had the brilliant idea of consuming it's supernatural power source (in this case, it's heart) and you became the thing you slew, kind of. Which means to me that most characters would likely be either Hunters or Heroes, as those are the most likely groups of mortals to deal with the supernatural in the first place. There's no being born into being an Orobori, if I am recalling correctly
                Not necessarily Hunters or Heroes. We have a Usurper template in the works of someone who is being called by the heart and attempting to Usurp it, and only one of then methods outright requires an active act of killing. Inheritors are straight up given their hearts. The most important thing about becoming an Oroboros is that you chose that path: moreso than any other supernatural creature, the Oroboroi cannot deny that this was something they did for themselves, as being a Usurper is a major undertaking in ones life and the hearts 1) call out to people who want them and 2) do not take people who don't want them. That was something we stressed for the darker mood of this game. The only group to not choose that path is Pilot Lights, and they are rare.

(some of this is based off the original book)
                Most of this is based off of Second Edition and the other Embers books, just reinterpreted and revised.

Character concepts are something I usually work on for a good while (I've spent weeks working on Ophelia, my shadowrun latent drake) because I generally prefer to do things right. Usually it helps if I know the GM that's running the game and the type of game that they want to run (Because, seriously, you can run pretty much any kind of splat in wildly different ways).
                In this case, we need data on how people interpret and use this material without our input.

I know you likely have way too many playtesters, so I doubt this really is what you are looking for
                We don't have enough playtesters... or artists for that matter.

I do like heavy roleplay focused games, less focused on say.. combat. If I wanted to play a high-fantasy combat simulator I'd be playing D&D, where turning into a dragon is only one of the many things you can do at high levels. But no, I like my gritty, semi-realistic world where fantastic things happen and you have to roleplay how your character handles and interacts with them.
                ...That's what this game is about, actually, so you're here...

As for the why would I be interested, I've always been intrigued by dragons.
                Yeah, Dragons are good. :V

Dragon and the George was a book I kind of got bored of really quickly unfortunately as the protagonist didn't feel that... draconic. His dragon form seems to have gotten forgotten the second he remembered he could into the human form, and then it hardly ever showed up from then on.
                It's more about the magic he can do, and more specifically the power he can wield, and the Dragon thing is a metaphor for that. The stories are about someone who is thrust into power and how they use their power. This new version of Dragon is primarily about that, how you utilize immense amounts of power.

I've worked on my own side-project before, a Drake Rework for Shadowrun. Sadly the Catalyst forums went down so I've never felt the need to finish proofing it with nowhere to post it.
                You could just post it on another forum then....

Though I did go and do a fuck load of research on drakes for that rework document. I doubt it's anything quite on the scale of this project, but who knows, I may be able to contribute in some small way. Even if it's just being a slightly above-average roleplayer.
                That's good to hear, you won't be confused by the references to mythology. So tell me, what do you know about the Paleolithic era, Richard Dawkins, Frederich Nietzsche, and David Icke?

So I suppose if you want to have me on the team, send me a PM with the contact details.
                ....You can't just send me your Skype name in a PM? :P

Send me your Skype name, we'll try and get together tonight or tomorrow and I'll onboard you with all the necessary reading and document access, introduce you to the team, and show you what we need you to work on...

Comment

• So... A couple things have come up that we might use some community feedback on...

Philosophies - so, we have 7 instea of 5, abd while I think they're all pretty much unique while still being broad enough to cover all the bases, I'm wondering if anyone is uncomfortable with there being 7 instead of 5. We could boil it back down to the original 5, but I worry that won't be enough to have everything you want...

As for differentiation, I was wanting to make sure they all had something more than a Purview (Edict) list to make the choice more meaningful. So far, we came up with giving them all the ability to sense when their philosophy is being upheld or violated and the ability to add their Heartstring to social rolls which directly reflect the philosophy's core tenants. Anyone have any feedback on that? Is is too much? Is there something else we should do?

Another issue that's come up is the (dreaded) Breath garnering system, where you get breath by eating. There was a discussion as to if making them have to eat for nourishment before garnering Breath was a good nerf, or was too complicated to keep track of. Keeping in mind that you only start to really pay attention to this in extreme cases like starvation or using a large amount of Breath for something, do people think that the system described in the Transitional Rulebook is too complicated?

Other than that... Still hoping to release something soon...

Comment

• Do the Seven Philosophies include Void? I forgot.

Comment

• It's an 8th, but most books have a bad-guy Y along with the other 5. Embers has always had like, 12, with 2 true hearts, 5 normal ones, and the 5 evils. The 7 normal ones we have written down are...
                      Ash - Destruction
                      Blood - Virtue
                      Bone - Stability
                      Coin - Materialism
                      Sweat - Creation
                      Tears - Emotion
                      Tome - Knowledge

There's also one for Undecided and Void... They're in the Transitional Rulebook. It's a concept that hasn't really changed in the past year...
                      Last edited by RockstarRaccoon; 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Then I would suggest starting to flesh them out and remove the ones we feel are either redundant or with too little to them.

Comment

• OwO what's this?

So, uh, I used to be Gepetto887 many years (and more than a few email addresses) ago, and... Wow. I still remember how this first started to take root over an exchange of PMs between Shock and myself, before one of us (Shock, I think) made the initial thread and the ball got rolling. It's astounding to see that the project kept going strong for so long, and has developed so far.

I'm honestly having trouble finding the right words to use here. This is bringing back a lot of memories.

Thank you to everyone who found this project worth continuing, and especially to Shock for carrying on after I dropped the ball and vanished all those years ago.

Comment

• TEAM APPLICATION

Position: Playtester

While I'm applying as a Playtester, I'm also quite capable of writing decently-well-worded paragraphs and stories. My main concern isn't my skill, but my availability. That said, if it becomes necessary, or I have some free time, I can write stuff for the book. I'll go ahead and fulfill both requirements below.

WORK SAMPLES

Character Concept: Gabriel the Refined.
                            Roughly thirty years ago, in the year of 1992, a tall, thin man with shoulder-length silver hair(quite obviously dyed) sits alone in his bedroom, surrounded by paintings. He hasn't managed much in his life. Despite his parents pushing him through college, a degree in Art History hasn't done much for him in the workplace. He refuses any job his parents offer to help him land, believing ordinary jobs to be beneath him. Besides, they would be shackles upon his very soul, for they would keep him away from his truest calling.

Gabriel's one true skill lies in his craft. He is a painter, and his art reflects the beauty and majesty of what he believes to be the most elegant form ever devised by mankind - the Dragons. The shimmering scales, their inner magic, the nigh infinite variety of their wings! Nothing else was more worthy of his brush, and nothing else filled up more of his room, and it was this skill that ultimately won him his Heart.

Displaying his art in a local festival earned him the attention of a particular Orobori, well aged and looking to die. He asked Gabriel about his designs, and the fervor with which he proselytized their inherent beauty was enough for the old dragon to know he'd appreciate the gift he was to be given.

Now equipped with the mystical powers of the Dragons, (and a bit of an inheritance from his Heart's previous holder), he's managed to accrue quite a following. While he wouldn't dream of parting with his own works(for he sees them as a part of his very soul), he leaves his work on display for all to see, and is regularly commissioned to teach classes, and to draw more works of his own. From his fans, those who manage to impress him are secreted away to his private villa, where they may bask in the light of his True Form, a large, snake-like silver dragon, and learn at the feet of the master.

Writing Sample: "She's not really that different from one of us."
                            "What do you mean 'not different'? She's literally a Wyrm. That's about as Wyrm-tainted as you can get."
                            "She doesn't smell like a Wyrm. She smells more like a fae."
                            "It's still unnatural.

The muffled voices at the edge of Melissa's perception carried her to awareness. She tried to force her eyes open, but it felt like weights had been tied to her eyelashes, making the effort difficult. Was I drugged? She wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep, but she was sitting on a wooden floor, in a room with three people she didn't recognize - two men, and one woman. She tried to stand, only to feel the tension of the ropes that bound her. Her Heart beat powerfully in her chest, and she could feel that the energy she had spent fighting those strange wolf-monsters returning to her. Part of her was grateful she hadn't yet cut out the powerful muscle, so she still had some fire in her that might help her escape. Most of her wished the thing was safe at home rather than here.

The woman, a small thing with firey-red hair that hung to her shoulders, bounced her way over to where Melissa lay, knealing down beside her. "Well goodie! You're awake! We got some questions for ya, missy. I'd pick your answers carefully."

Qualifications: Well, I'm a professional game designer to start. I work for ODAM Publishing, and I actually just finished revamping their core rulebook for a 2nd Edition. Unfortunately, very little of my work for them is public yet, aside from a few specific playtesting documents that themselves require a Non-Disclosure Agreement before I can share them. Even then, I would only want to do that for the purpose OF playtesting. My point though, is I have experience in this field, having designed a game before, that specifically dealt with Dreams and reality-warping nonsense.

I've also been writing since like, high school. Mostly forum roleplays, but I've also got a college degree with an emphasis on English so...yeah. That's a thing.

My roleplaying-game knowledge covers a good breadth of subjects, from Exalted, to Star Wars, to Pathfinder, to Maid RPG, and that's proven to be a great boon in my field.

Why I Want to Join:

As previously mentioned, I've been playing roleplaying games for years, and managed to recently wrangle myself a job as a professional game dev. I also wound up dragging in a friend of mine, due to her exceptional writerly abilities, and editorial prowess. Trouble is, all of her previous experience with tabletop games have been rather horrid, mostly owing to lengthy character creation processes, and a poor set of players. She doesn't like lengthy maths, or generally feeling stupid for not knowing things. Given that game design is her JOB now, which she doesn't intend on quitting, this lack of experience with gaming is a bit of an issue.

As one of her closest friends, who understands what she does and doesn't like, the responsibility of trying to introduce her to our hobby in a safe enviornment falls to me. I didn't want to start her off with Pathfinder or D&D or anything like that - she's much more interested in narrative than combat or gaming crunchiness. She does need some room to learn these things though. I needed a system, so I settled on Chronicles of Darkness, which tends to have a roughly even split between narrative elements and gamey-strategy-things, and the stats rarely go above 10.

Which ultimately led me to you guys. My friend LOVES dragons. (I mean, I do to, but this isn't about me.) And that's one of the most important elements of playing these games - being excited about the plot, the world, and the characters. This was an excellent way to do this. I told her a bit about the lore, and she loved it(especially True Hearts.) Even if the system has a few holes in it by nature of being an in-development fan game, I'm a skilled enough GM to patch over them as I go.

Which brings me here. I'm in the process of reading all of the currently released Dragon: The Embers material old and new, and I intend on running a game for her once I know all there is to know, both old and new. I figured that, as long as I'm doing so, I might as well try to hand feedback over to you guys. I'm a pretty big fan of what you guys have accomplished, and I want to see it shine.
                            Last edited by Witchling; 01-22-2019, 05:39 AM. Reason: Real writers revise. So my Creative Writing teacher told me.

Comment

Working...
                            X