Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Eras of Chronicles of Darkness (Dark Eras and others)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

    That's true. Though I remember one of the contributors to Age of Azar (Arcanist, I think) wrote up an entry in this GDoc that put both Cults as dating back to pre-unification. Song of Storm and Fire, it's called. Feel free to read it up.




    Ah. Well, since you mentioned war between the Egyptian and Mesopotamian Kindred, perhaps one of the driving factors for conflict would be efforts by many of the latter to flee the Edimmu once they escalate into a full-blown crisis for the Babylonian Covenants? Not to mention the Cult of Sutek (unsure yet if the stuff on the Witch King section happens, by this point) would be working to keep the Edimmu from spreading into their homeland.
    Not in the time we're talking about right now. The Edimmu are stI'll a solid half-millennium away from showing up in Mesopotamia. Now, fleeing the mad En on the other hand...


    Black Lives Matter

    He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

    Comment


    • #32
      Although not strictly an Era, Shadows of Mexico has A LOT of information about Mesoamerican vampires, enough for writing a Dark Era just with them. May be you could take a look on it, although the info is dissemnate around the book.


      LAND OF THE DAMNED: SPAIN (Spanish): Land of the Damned: Spain, Kingdoms of Blood: Spain; Cities of the Damned: Barcelona, Valencia, Carthian Constitution (1812), Three Arrows Pact:

      OTHERS (Spanish): Demon: The Redemption, Bloodlines: The Forgotten

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Uxas View Post
        Although not strictly an Era, Shadows of Mexico has A LOT of information about Mesoamerican vampires, enough for writing a Dark Era just with them. May be you could take a look on it, although the info is dissemnate around the book.
        That's not actually a bad idea. I'll have to reread Shadows of Mexico sometime though. That book is dense!

        Today's addition is the Victorian Lost era, A Maze of Smoke and Hedge. There's two notable entries here above and beyond the regular historical events. One is the first cryptid we've seen Springheeled Jack, who was sighted throughout the 19th century and could be of particular interest to Changeling games. On the other side, we have a mythic figure finally showing up, none other than the Great Detective himself, Sherlock Holmes. Whether or not he really exists in your game is Storyteller's prerogative, but I can come up with a number of interesting plot hooks, so I'm sure you can too. Finally, this era ends with the Great Refusal of Seers of the Throne by the too-be Free Council, ushering a new century as the countries of Europe march towards war.
        Last edited by Second Chances; 06-03-2016, 12:04 AM.


        Black Lives Matter

        He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

        Comment


        • #34
          As a possible tie-in to the Three Kingdoms of Darkness, and inspired by the first Tomb Raider game in the Survivor timeline, how about a Dark Era setting in the Kingdom of Yamatai?

          Dated at the late Yayoi period (c. BCE 300 – c. 300 CE), it is first mentioned in the Records of the Three Kingdoms, but is the subject of heavy debate by generations of historians. The general consensus places it at two likely locations, either at northern Kyūshū or Yamato Province in the Kinki region of central Honshū. It's supposed ruler, Himiko, is also a topic of controversy, given the discrepancies between Chinese and Japanese texts.

          Now, given how Japan has received a lot of attention as a setting, with the Edo Jidai Dark Era and the write-ups that have been released for Tokyo's Beast, Mage, Vampire, and Werewolf populations, this proposed setting might give us an opportunity to explore another chapter in the past of the Land of the Rising Sun. Where in the islands did the Kingdom of Yamatai exist? Who is Himiko? A woman known to have dealt in the power of sorcery? Is she perhaps one of Japan's earliest Awakened? Or something more?


          "My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
            As a possible tie-in to the Three Kingdoms of Darkness, and inspired by the first Tomb Raider game in the Survivor timeline, how about a Dark Era setting in the Kingdom of Yamatai?

            Dated at the late Yayoi period (c. BCE 300 – c. 300 CE), it is first mentioned in the Records of the Three Kingdoms, but is the subject of heavy debate by generations of historians. The general consensus places it at two likely locations, either at northern Kyūshū or Yamato Province in the Kinki region of central Honshū. It's supposed ruler, Himiko, is also a topic of controversy, given the discrepancies between Chinese and Japanese texts.

            Now, given how Japan has received a lot of attention as a setting, with the Edo Jidai Dark Era and the write-ups that have been released for Tokyo's Beast, Mage, Vampire, and Werewolf populations, this proposed setting might give us an opportunity to explore another chapter in the past of the Land of the Rising Sun. Where in the islands did the Kingdom of Yamatai exist? Who is Himiko? A woman known to have dealt in the power of sorcery? Is she perhaps one of Japan's earliest Awakened? Or something more?
            Interesting... since there were apparently some contacts between Yamatai and Three Kingdoms China, I've added it to the timeline and it will show up next time I update the graphics. Why don't you spin these questions off into their own thread? It seems like there could be some really neat stuff here.


            Black Lives Matter

            He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
              Interesting... since there were apparently some contacts between Yamatai and Three Kingdoms China, I've added it to the timeline and it will show up next time I update the graphics. Why don't you spin these questions off into their own thread? It seems like there could be some really neat stuff here.
              I'm already setting up an introductory text :3 Expect it sometime this week, maybe in a few days if I'm fast enough.

              EDIT: Posted. See my signature for link.
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 06-04-2016, 03:47 PM.


              "My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

              Comment


              • #37
                Reminder that the Beast Dark Era is going to be the US Reconstruction South.


                -

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by hm8453a View Post
                  Reminder that the Beast Dark Era is going to be the US Reconstruction South.
                  Yup, I'm going to add the companion eras once it gets released and I known the dates. I've been spending a lot of time on Blood Flows West recently and I think those two eras will dovetail nicely.


                  Black Lives Matter

                  He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Love this timeline! You *should* (I hope) be able to piece together Uratha history around Italy and Scandinavia from roughly 1200BCE to 20AD or so when the companion comes out. I had a lot of material that I had to cut for wordcount, and I'm not sure exactly what events/dates made it in off hand. I'd give you my notes after the book comes out but only what's in the book counts as official, of course.


                    Open the gates of Hell: Random Demon Generator.

                    Shapeshifting Historian
                    Freelancer - Shattered Dreams, Dark Eras Companion - Forsaken by Rome

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by nikink View Post
                      Love this timeline! You *should* (I hope) be able to piece together Uratha history around Italy and Scandinavia from roughly 1200BCE to 20AD or so when the companion comes out. I had a lot of material that I had to cut for wordcount, and I'm not sure exactly what events/dates made it in off hand. I'd give you my notes after the book comes out but only what's in the book counts as official, of course.
                      Awesome! Wolves of Rome I take it? Roman History was one of the focuses of my History major, so I'm REALLY looking forward to that chapter and the Cleopatran Mummy chapter.

                      I've been super busy with work lately, and will be for the next two weeks as our year winds down, but I'm going to take this moment to pop in a brief outline for Bowery Dogs. Also, I'd like to say thank you for all of the support. I'm pretty jazzed that people like this, especially when freelancers say how cool it is to see their writing visually. Makes my day!


                      Black Lives Matter

                      He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Does dark era's cover world war one ?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Basic View Post
                          Does dark era's cover world war one ?
                          I wish. Closest thing I can think of--someone correct me if I'm wrong--is a small bit I put into the Grimm Dark Era chapter. It's just a reference.


                          -

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by hm8453a View Post

                            I wish. Closest thing I can think of--someone correct me if I'm wrong--is a small bit I put into the Grimm Dark Era chapter. It's just a reference.
                            Ruins of Empire covers WWI, the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, and the waning of the English and French Empires at the same time, but the focus is on the Empires and not the War. Goodbye to All That in Ancient Bloodlines/Mysteries for Vampire does cover WWI, and there is a brief shout out to that era in Night Stalkers under the same name. I'm actually working on two version of the timeline fore this period... one for the extended events and entities, and one for the blow by blow breakdown of the War.


                            Black Lives Matter

                            He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                              Awesome! Wolves of Rome I take it? Roman History was one of the focuses of my History major, so I'm REALLY looking forward to that chapter and the Cleopatran Mummy chapter.

                              [snip]... especially when freelancers say how cool it is to see their writing visually. Makes my day!


                              Yep, Roman Uratha and Germanic Uratha are the most detailed - well, as detailed as we could get in the word count. So much good stuff for Uratha/WoD history in that thousand year period. And the chapter lightly touches other locations around Europe and the Mediterranean. #spoilers

                              So fo timeline creating awesomeness like you're doing, I dunno exactly how useful the 'brief touches' will be, nor do I know how much made it in to the book after development. But I do know, as a fan of historical things, that it was a blast to write.



                              Open the gates of Hell: Random Demon Generator.

                              Shapeshifting Historian
                              Freelancer - Shattered Dreams, Dark Eras Companion - Forsaken by Rome

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by nikink View Post



                                Yep, Roman Uratha and Germanic Uratha are the most detailed - well, as detailed as we could get in the word count. So much good stuff for Uratha/WoD history in that thousand year period. And the chapter lightly touches other locations around Europe and the Mediterranean. #spoilers

                                So fo timeline creating awesomeness like you're doing, I dunno exactly how useful the 'brief touches' will be, nor do I know how much made it in to the book after development. But I do know, as a fan of historical things, that it was a blast to write.
                                If I can get broad strokes, my Roman History is good enough that I can fill in the facts myself to create something useful. So excited!


                                Black Lives Matter

                                He/His Pronouns | CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X