CofD: the Olympic Chronicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CofD: the Olympic Chronicles

Since its topical right now, what types of stories could be told using the Olympics as a setting centrepiece (not just limited to Rio though)?

Watching yesterday, I realized that these could be important times for Prometheans to observe and experience aspects of the human condition, especially of athletes who have had to make their own "pilgrimages" to the Games over the course of their lives.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Local vampires scoping out athletes for blood dolls, ghouls, or childer. Werewolves having to deal with an upswing of activity from spirits of competition, excitement, joy, and disappointment. Unscrupulous mages using Arcana to try and give their home country's teams an advantage. Changeling courts that feed off of positive emotion receiving a massive boost in power and making a play for more influence in the freehold. Hunters having to worry about foreign monsters creeping into town, and dealing with the optics of natives taking issue with the presence of foreigners.

Any of these, and more.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

Sin-Eaters trying to keep the ghosts of former Olympians (and wannabes) from body-jacking the current competitors to relive their glory days. Or get revenge on opposing teams (never mind that the original grudges might also be dead). Or just all the spectator specters there for a taste of life and excitement.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Child sex trafficking is rampant at all sporting events, especially the Super Bowl and the Olympics. The Olympics also tends to raze the working class and the homeless out of particular areas. In Rio, the Olympic Village is built over a really important indigenous burial ground (please don't use that info for a racist ~indigenous ghosts haunting you~ story line).

-

Comment

I feel like child sex trafficking is also something which you should try to avoid, even in a horror game.

Deviant coming out makes me thinking about weird experiments with dangerous super-steroids.

Comment

The Frankenstein started her Pilgrimage on the Refinement of Gold, but it was too hard, too hopeless, the slurs and thrown stones too many for her to continue; falling into Tin was easy, and she retreated from to world to wallow in spite. She sees the world through the glow of a small screen, endless petty bullshit forming a high-speed stream of reasons to give up on the human race... and then the games start. Stolen heart beating in her chest, Pyros-pulse thunderous in her ears, she watches mankind's best push themselves to the limit. As she endlessly devours footage of athletics from this year and years past, and finds herself wondering what it's like to be the hope of a nation, to have the eyes of the world on her.

Fire flares where her soul should be. Bitter Tin transmutes itself into beautiful, pure Iron. She lifts a dirty pair of weights and takes up the Great Work once more.
            Last edited by atamajakki; 08-12-2016, 02:16 AM.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

I've gotta say, organized sports have always been a major fixture on the "reasons to give up on humanity" list I have taped to my mutagen vat.

Comment

(So this is inspired by the time my mom got pulled over by Richard Jewell on the way to Warm Springs (he spent the last few years of his life working as a county deputy there) and according to her, he was totally nice and pleasant and somehow wasn't bitter at all about what happened too him)

Did you know the whole thing about TFV being superior to VASCU in supernatural investigations only dates back to the 1990s? It's true, see the whole reason Richard Jewell got fingered for what happened at the Atlanta Olympics was because a certain FBI counter terrorists division head affiliated with VASCU had a grudge against Jewell's biological father (a promiscuous ghoul who was the main invictus agent at the Chevrolet corporation... and had an affair with the VASCU agent's wife.) But didn't count on Jewel being friends with an Iron Master attorney by the name of Waston Bryant, who had taken a liking to Jewell and brought a packmate, the now famous Lucian Lincoln Wood, Jr. (I know these guys are real people, but everything I have heard about them personality wise screams Iron master werewolf, also an excuse for a lodge of Ace Attorneys). The whole media circus came dangerously close to exposing the true nature of VASCU and the existence of TFV, due the involvement of several TfV linked FBI agents who were previously involved with various standoffs with cults out west. After the smoke cleared, TFV forced VASCU to to submit to their jurisdiction. As for Jewell, He officially died at age 44 of heart disease, kidney disease, and diabetes... but in truth? Well no one really knows, but hunters to this day trade nerveous stories of a man in a police uniform who deals justice against hunters who screw over the innocent to fight monsters, and those innocents are are always represented by the court system's alpha predators in the lodge of ( I can't come up with a good name for a lawyer lodge, sorry)..

EDIT: I had one hell of a typo on this, now corrected
                Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 08-12-2016, 03:05 AM.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                  I feel like child sex trafficking is also something which you should try to avoid, even in a horror game.
                  All depends on the group. I've been playing with the same group for six years and we were best friends first. A lot of us met in our own recoveries from child sexual abuse, and it's cathartic for many of us if we examine it in a safe and healthy way with people we trust. Definitely not for everyone.

-

Comment

The 1984 Olympics promotion that went horribly wrong for McDonald was one of the very first acts of precognitive stock short selling run by a supernatural financial firm that shall remain anonymous (though you may have seen their ads if you read the more leftist news sites). These guys are well known for predicting disasters that befall major corporations and then doing their best to make things worse, so their short sells make the most money. In the 84 mcdonalds case, the firm ahd their agents infiltrate the ad agency running the promotion and make it so the majority of the free food cards were printed with events the US would dominate due to the absence of the soviets, before the soviets even announced their boycott.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Professional athletes are always looking for an edge. Their livlihoods - lucrative sponsorships - depend on bringing home medals. So they're superstitious and prone to trying all sorts of pseudoscientific quackery (cupping, kinesio tape) if it might give them an edge that won't make them fail a drug test.

Vitae and Goblin Fruits don't show up on a drug test. Nor does Supernal Life magic, demonic Embeds or an Urging spirit.

Why would a supernatural want a professional athlete in their debt? A soon-to-be world famous athlete? The possibility are endless.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras, Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                      Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
                      After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                        Deviant coming out makes me thinking about weird experiments with dangerous super-steroids.
                        Like that episode of Buffy, where members of the swim team start turning into fish monsters from the experimental Soviet-era steroids they were using.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

I'm watching the long jump right now and I just think of the carnage a single Demon with the Trip embed could cause.

Comment

Working...
                          X