No announcement yet.

Deviant: the Renegades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Konradleijon;n1230648]I do want to play a character that just recently got Sapient,! /QUOTE]
    I imagine such a thing will be mechanically possible(there were Changelings that lost sapience over their Durance, not to mention Prometheans), but that sounds rather daunting to roleplay.
    Last edited by Borne; 06-30-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• I figured they'd be more available as NPCs like retainers or familiars. We've brought up We3 before.

Comment

• Earlier in this thread we where discussioning reedfeld

Comment

• Regardless of source, exploring the idea of continuity of consciousness extending prior to self-awareness could make for some interesting character arcs.

Comment

• What how do we know dogs aren’t already aware elephants are sapient

Comment

• Dogs are actually found out to be self aware

Comment

• See .how do we know other humans are sapient (I think there for I am)

Comment

• Let's not have the animal intellence debate here. It is at best a tangent off discussion of a hypothetical alteration of a potential splat.

Comment

• The scenario has everything to have a fully focused Aliens add-on. Humans kidnapped and modified by beings who can not actually enter this world for some unintelligent purpose and who do not want to help in that purpose who may be working for it unconsciously, while the aliens use the few resources that can enter into contact with this world to redirect the rebel deviants for their purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
                      The scenario has everything to have a fully focused Aliens add-on. Humans kidnapped and modified by beings who can not actually enter this world for some unintelligent purpose and who do not want to help in that purpose who may be working for it unconsciously, while the aliens use the few resources that can enter into contact with this world to redirect the rebel deviants for their purposes.
                      See, that also sounds like Changeling to me. Splitting hairs on the concept though.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Er, why not both?

Still not sure what folks don't like about aliens, especially in a post-Realms of Atlantis world.

I'm patient though. Looking forward to Changeling next month, devouring the Geist backer updates currently, and waiting for a Hunter and/or Deviant kickstarter in the future. Plenty of time to get to other supernatural gribblies in the far future.

Comment

• I do like aliens; just noting that we already had something that fits that role.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Changeling I think lacks the Body Horror that a lot of kidnapped-by-aliens fiction has. In Changeling, the horror is the trauma of the kidnapping itself, the helplessness of being there as they operate on you. In Deviant, the horror is being back on earth, and feeling your heart beat on the wrong side of your chest, and feeling something move under your chest, and screaming "what have they done to me!" Changeling also uses the Durance as a sort of opening-to-a-world-of-fancy, where sure you were kidnapped by aliens, but your best friend was a candle that burned as Shahrazade told her 1001 stories, and your boyfriend was a billy-goat crossing a troll-bridge. You may have been kidnapped by aliens, but once you enter the Changeling society, it becomes clear that you're all being forced to play sick cosplay-as-torture by the fickle gods of Faerie.
                            To me, that weakens the usefulness of Changeling to tell certain types of alien-abduction stories. It doesn't make much sense to me for the abduction victims to return with the kind of Contracts that Changelings get. Deviant now, Deviant's body-horror themes fit better here, at least in my opinion.

But I know that this is a long and hashed-over argument on these forums.

Comment

• I wouldn’t worry about which gameline represents extraterrestrials “the best,” overlapping niches or not. I mean, before Mummy we had mummies (Purified, Osirans, certain vampires), and before Demon we had demons (Inferno, and too many to count), but those games proved we could have more. And I never thought I needed Beast until I got it. Deviant seems like it’ll do just fine if people want to run alien abduction stories, with or without Changeling.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Originally posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
                                Changeling I think lacks the Body Horror that a lot of kidnapped-by-aliens fiction has.

Perhaps the body horror is not physically present (to normal mortals), but it is still very much there.

Have you ever heard of body dysmorphic disorder? It's a psychological condition in which a person rejects pieces of their own body because they are under the delusion that they are somehow foreign or aggressive. In the most extreme cases, victims have attempted to amputate or surgically modify their bodies just to ease their condition.

Now, you take somebody like a Changeling, who can see through the mask and realize they're physiology isn't what it's supposed to be and starts freaking out over it. From a mortal's point of view, they're going to see an ordinary human screaming about how their own body is some sort of abomination, or has even turned against them.

That can lead to some extremely disturbing stories if handled correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X