Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dissecting Transgression-Arcane Reviews Genius

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    I've heard things about Assembly Lines. Things like I can't run my own waffle iron empire.
    You can, if you keep it very small, and stick only to waffle irons. And use a feudal arrangement (with some enlightened waffle irons ruling over their own micro empires).


    Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

    Comment


    • So I just finished Chapter 2, and while it will warrant another post in whole, cause fairness, for now I want to say this:

      If you told me that people skipped Chapter 1, read this, and got hooked, I'd completely understand. It had some problems, but this was not a bad chapter.


      Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
      Work Blog Coming Soon
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        So I just finished Chapter 2, and while it will warrant another post in whole, cause fairness, for now I want to say this:

        If you told me that people skipped Chapter 1, read this, and got hooked, I'd completely understand. It had some problems, but this was not a bad chapter.
        That certainly bodes well.


        Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post

          That certainly bodes well.
          It's actually quite nice to get what I(in my fairer moments) initially expected rather than an unhealthy dump on my mindscape, yes.


          Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
          Work Blog Coming Soon
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

          Comment


          • Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
            mp122984 I dug out an old email chain between Moochava and AlgaeNymph on this for you - and it appears that the numbers you're quoting are basically a bug. Moochava intended Geniuses to be less common. That's in addition to what Vent0 said. Also Geniuses are intended to be an usually populous group of supernaturals so I wouldn't apply the numbers to other groups directly.

            Here's the full email chain:
            Wait, e-mail chain? Where'd you find this?

            Comment


            • Over at RPG.net: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...nsgression-PhD


              “There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
              My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
              Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                So I just finished Chapter 2, and while it will warrant another post in whole, cause fairness, for now I want to say this:

                If you told me that people skipped Chapter 1, read this, and got hooked, I'd completely understand. It had some problems, but this was not a bad chapter.
                I think the obvious question is how in HELL did you write that quite lengthy bashing of the game while ONLY READING A SINGLE CHAPTER OF IT.

                I mean the stupidity of fangame haters barely fazes me anymore but come on.
                You can't even understand what makes this game so fun until you reached the Wonder creation bits but did you just dismiss it so hard you felt it was neccessary to bash it here, based on only an intro chapter?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Vree View Post

                  I think the obvious question is how in HELL did you write that quite lengthy bashing of the game while ONLY READING A SINGLE CHAPTER OF IT.

                  I mean the stupidity of fangame haters barely fazes me anymore but come on.
                  You can't even understand what makes this game so fun until you reached the Wonder creation bits but did you just dismiss it so hard you felt it was neccessary to bash it here, based on only an intro chapter?
                  Arts's prior hostility was based on fan reactions, initially. Your hostile/dismissive tone is hardly helping.


                  Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Vree View Post

                    I think the obvious question is how in HELL did you write that quite lengthy bashing of the game while ONLY READING A SINGLE CHAPTER OF IT.

                    I mean the stupidity of fangame haters barely fazes me anymore but come on.
                    You can't even understand what makes this game so fun until you reached the Wonder creation bits but did you just dismiss it so hard you felt it was neccessary to bash it here, based on only an intro chapter?
                    I do not hate fangames. I am openly a fan of Princess the Hopeful and Immortal the Quickening, and have very fond feelings about Dragon and Leviathan. I come from a background of working with fangames and maintain an open advocacy for fan games and fan material in general. I have a working defense for Why Mary Sues Are Not Inherently Bad Things, for fuck's sake.

                    I had that much to say about one chapter of Genius because that one chapter, and the intro, were really fucking bad. And you know, that'd have been fine? Except that this is the chapter that's supposed to sell me on the game. This is supposed to be my break down introduction to the world, the setting, the things I'm going to tell a story with. Mechanics only serve to make that all work, and I don't much care how good any of those are if the thing I end up playing is a putrid sack of shit.

                    Chapter two was pretty cool. And then after that, I kind of got burnt out and haven't read the rest of it. People like you do not help motivate me to pick it back up and get a full opinion, and I avoided reading it for years because of people like you.

                    Maybe you should consider that before getting on my case for not liking a game you do. A good foot forward on your part can do way more for an opinion on Genius than Genius can right now.
                    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 09-30-2017, 07:30 PM.


                    Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                    Work Blog Coming Soon
                    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                      I have a working defense for Why Mary Sues Are Not Inherently Bad Things
                      Will you blog it when you have that blog?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Malus View Post

                        Will you blog it when you have that blog?
                        I'd be happy too.

                        (Reason the blog's taking so long is because system research is taking longer than expected.)


                        Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                        Work Blog Coming Soon
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                          Chapter two was pretty cool. And then after that, I kind of got burnt out and haven't read the rest of it. People like you do not help motivate me to pick it back up and get a full opinion, and I avoided reading it for years because of people like you.
                          I really hope you do finish this. I'm very much in the "Fan of Genius" camp, and I love reading criticisms of it. Well-reasoned, good-faith criticism of a game can only serve to improve it, and I won't deny, Chapter 1 was pretty dog-ass.

                          And to certain others, remember: Reacting with anger and vitriol to ideas you don't like is something the bad guys of Genius do. Don't be Unmada, guys.


                          Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X