Storypath Conversion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storypath Conversion?

With some of the Scion material now out for preview, I have to wonder if anyone else is as interested in the idea of writing up rough conversion notes to take the various CofD gamelines into the Storypath System. I'm sure the existing CofD skill list would work just fine and I doubt the structure for the various powers is too different, but I love the idea of using things like x- and y-splats as Paths you can evoke rather than strictly being background and packages for abilities.

Is there a market for this? Anyone else have any preliminary thoughts?

Remi. she/her. game designer.

An interesting idea, but I'd want to see Scion: Origin and Scion: Hero before committing to anything.

Comment

Yeah, I think waiting for the full text is going to be important; esp. for powers and such. Scion 2e works on a very different method of powers, and it's hard to tell how much you can just port over between the two (esp. in the CofD which isn't going to run well with lots of bonus successes flying around).

Comment

As someone who generally prefers FATE these days, I'm very much interested in this!

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion on how "complete" the rules are in order to even be playable at all?

I have actually tried to piece together all I could scrounge up on Storypath. This includes the recent Storypath Preview plus the old Sardonyx Teasers back in the day (good thing they found a better name for it than that), as well as bits and pieces from the forums. As a fan of both FATE and the Storyteller system it seems that Storypath is almost like a combination of the two. I find that there are still plenty of blank spaces to fill, a project I simply do not have time for right now.

​Blank spaces for me with Storypath:
          Paths; I can only barely grasp all the nuances of these. I love the idea for sure, since I never favored the wonkiness of paying Experiences for things like Allies, Mentor, Staff and other very fluid social Merits. I still find that there are a lot of unclear elements to them and fiddly bits that even the designers themselves don't know what to do with yet.
          Edges; these will be what Merits are, but they will be different due to the design choices of Storypath, serving more as edge cases for the system that aren't covered by the other mechanics. I have so far not actually seen examples of them, but I suppose there are a few scattered here and there.
          Skill Tricks; more or less the same as above. According to the recent preview (or at least my interpretation thereof), Skill Tricks are not really the same as those in the Mirrors book. In Storypath they will primarily add effects​, not mechanical bonuses. This statement clashes with the fact that many Skill Tricks in the Sardonyx Teasers were in fact bonuses. I hope I am wrong about all of this, but so far I'm not seeing what function Skill Tricks will serve that cannot simply work with Edges (CofD-style).

Comment

It's worth noting that several Story Path concepts originated in nWoD: the Scaling system started out in the Mage Chroniclers Guide, and Skill Tricks were introduced in Mirrors. I look forward to an official release of the Story Path system, because I do think that rules conversions from ChroD to Story Path are going to be surprisingly painless.
            Note that Edges are to Paths as Skill Tricks are to Skills: Paths and Skills provide broad outlines about your character, while Edges and Skill Tricks fine-tune those outlines.

Comment

While I can't say I've done a full conversion, I immediately ported over the Stunts and Consolations concepts from Storypath. Those mechanics are humongously helpful for keeping plots moving forward and making players think narratively.

Onyx Path Moderator
              Mod Voice is RED*
              *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
              Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                It's worth noting that several Story Path concepts originated in nWoD: the Scaling system started out in the Mage Chroniclers Guide, and Skill Tricks were introduced in Mirrors. I look forward to an official release of the Story Path system, because I do think that rules conversions from ChroD to Story Path are going to be surprisingly painless.
                Note that Edges are to Paths as Skill Tricks are to Skills: Paths and Skills provide broad outlines about your character, while Edges and Skill Tricks fine-tune those outlines.

That is great information, I did not realize where those other systems originated from.

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                Current Focus
                Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  With some of the Scion material now out for preview, I have to wonder if anyone else is as interested in the idea of writing up rough conversion notes to take the various CofD gamelines into the Storypath System. I'm sure the existing CofD skill list would work just fine and I doubt the structure for the various powers is too different, but I love the idea of using things like x- and y-splats as Paths you can evoke rather than strictly being background and packages for abilities.

Is there a market for this? Anyone else have any preliminary thoughts?

I started working on this myself here . I just found your thread.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

I've never played scion or trinity or exalted but I too have been trying to steal the good bits of the storypath system and build them into my game. It'll help when I have an actual book that uses the system but it looks quite promising

Comment

Here is a One Weapon & Armor Matrix that I was using with CoD and now I need to see if it can play into Storypath and how.

I dropped this post in a couple of threads as they relate.

Would love any feedback.

Best regards

Current Focus

Comment

Working...
                      X