Twilight Menagerie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Superhero Spirit

I like this one. In my own games, I have played with the idea that becoming claimed isn't always a hostile, invasive act. Sometimes, it can be mutually beneficial for the spirit and the host, as illustrated here. My instincts for Ephemeral Type , lean towards Goetia or Angel (though I am not certain Goetia can actually claim someone with outside help. Spirit works, but I would be more inclined to have in manifest as a Spirit of Heroism more than Superheroes in particular, owing as much to Jason or Hercules than to Batman or Superman, but with obvious connections.

RE: Little Morpheus

I like the spirit version more. I think it captures the ideas and themes a bit more elegantly than the Horror version, with more flexibility in how it can be used.

But overall great work.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
    The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
    Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
    Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

• Awesome thread! Any good suggestions for mage Familiars?

Comment

• RE: Familiars

It took me a little work to get back into mind set for ephemeral entities.I have a set I put together below. Didn't get any good ideas for rank 1 Familiars, but I will revisit the ideas in a few days to see what I can come up with.

Blackheart
        The entity known as Blackheart is the ghost of a pirate named Jean-Philippe that raided the waters surrounding Haiti in the early 1700’s before being slain in battle, with his cutlass being taken as spoils of war. His restless spirit is bound to the blade. As a familiar, Blackheart retains a sense of adventure and encourages his partner to enjoy the pleasure of wine, song, and sensuality. Blackheart is also pragmatically ruthless, and thinks little of permanently dispatching enemies. Blackheart appears by turn either a handsome Haitian man with an athletic build, or a moldering skeletal corpse.
        Damage: +2 Initiative: -2 Strength: 2 Size: 2 Durability: 3

Rank 2[Ghost]
        Power 5 Finesse 5 Resistance 4, Willpower 9, Essence 15
        Corpus 9, Size 5, Initiative 9, Defense 5, Speed 15
        Virtue Adventurous, Vice Ruthless
        Aspiration: To seek adventure and fortune
        Influence: Anchor (Cutlass) 2
        Ban: Must honor a declaration of truce; Bane: rum mixed with sea water
        Manifestation: Familiar, Fetter, Twilight Form, Unfetter
        Numina: Awe, Blast (pistol), Pathfinder, Telekinesis

Friend
        “Friend” is an entity summoned from the astral realms, as an idealized “Good Dog”. While the entity is far more intelligent than a true canine, his desires are simple and most would be surprised to learn that “Friend” is anything more than a well behaved pet. He is kind, friendly and loyal. He does have a protective streak, and shows aggression only when his partner (or a child, he adores children) are threatened or in danger. The physical form he inhabits is a handsome mix of Labrador and Shepard with brindled fur and bright golden eyes.

Rank 2 [Goetia]
        Power 6 Finesse 3 Resistance 5, Willpower 10, Essence 15
        Corpus 9, Size 4, Initiative 10, Defense 3, Speed 16
        Influence: Dogs 1, Friendship 1
        Ban: Can never abandon his partner voluntarily; Bane: Any weapon that has slain a Dog
        Manifestation: Familiar
        Numina: Emotional Aura (Friendly), Pathfinder, Phantom Arsenal*, Seek

Numina – Phantom Arsenal: The entity spends 1 Essence point to manifest blades, claws, fangs, hooks or other appropriate weaponry. The modification acts as a +1L weapon. By spending an additional point of essence, this weapon gains the “9-Again” quality.

Omen
        The entity called Omen is a spirit of foreboding and doom, bound to the flesh of a raven. It is attuned to impeding danger, and offers dire warnings of death, misfortune and destruction. Despite this (or perhaps because of it) the entity has a sardonic and clever sense of humor, making it difficult to tell when its prophecies are sincere, or in jest. The spirit appears as a large raven with eyes and talons of gleaming silver.

Rank 2[Spirit]
        Power 4 Finesse 6 Resistance 4, Willpower 10, Essence 15
        Corpus 8, Size 4, Initiative 10, Defense 4, Speed 20
        Influence: Corvids 1, Doom 1
        Ban: Can only foresee unfortunate events; Bane: Gold
        Manifestation: Familiar, Fetter, Possess, Twilight Form
        Numina: Emotional Aura (Dread), Essence Thief, Know Soul (as the Dread Power) Omen Trance

Sister Ivy
        Sister Ivy is a spirits of the woodlands and has a great love of all that is green and wild, but is curious about civilization and mankind. As a familiar, she is a mercurial but insightful companion, and is deeply knowledgeable about the natural world. She prefers to be fettered to items made of wood or living plant, and currently is bound to a ring carved of oak. She appears as a young woman, tall, lean and attractive, with flesh carved from pale wood and hair braided with ivy and honeysuckle.

Rank 2[Spirit]
        Power 4 Finesse 7 Resistance 3, Willpower 10, Essence 15
        Corpus 8, Size 5, Initiative 10 Defense 4, Speed 16
        Influence: Plants 2
        Ban: Cannot Manifest while indoors; Bane: Iron
        Manifestation: Familiar, Fetter, Materialize, Twilight Form
        Numina: Mortal Mask, Rapture, Regenerate, Snare (as the Dread Power)
        Last edited by Reighnhell; 03-20-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Great ideas! "Friend" really sounds like a Goetia mages could keep around and designate as the temporary guardian of a young mage (not necessarily as a Familiar). "Omen" would complement well a mage with no Time/Fate.

Comment

• Is there a particular reason why all ghosts have Influence: Anchor (AAA) instead of directly AAA? I mean, that’s RAW, but the actual example says otherwise... (Unless Geist 2E changes everything, but I digress)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Other ideas for Ghost Familiars: A Detective investigating their own murder (with Influence: Investigation), an arsonist caught in a fire (Influence: Fire), and (perhaps trickier) a Ghost whose shtick is Fettering/Possessing a Sleepwalker assistant.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                Is there a particular reason why all ghosts have Influence: Anchor (AAA) instead of directly AAA? I mean, that’s RAW, but the actual example says otherwise... (Unless Geist 2E changes everything, but I digress)
                Influence: Anchor (AAA) is not more RAW than Influence: AAA. We don't actually have explained rules for how to determine Influences for ghosts. The only thing stated is that ghosts has Influences related to their Anchors (which is extremely vague, imo). The only example of a ghost in all of second edition (afaik) has Influence: Lost Things.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Influence: Anchor (AAA) is not more RAW than Influence: AAA. We don't actually have explained rules for how to determine Influences for ghosts. The only thing stated is that ghosts has Influences related to their Anchors (which is extremely vague, imo). The only example of a ghost in all of second edition (afaik) has Influence: Lost Things.
                  Spirits don’t have Influence: Resonance, nor angels Influence: Infrastructure, so why would ghosts have Influence: Anchor?

But yeah, we could definitely use some more examples, and ghosts really may be an exception (like how Goetia don’t naturally have Manifestations). Come forth, Geist 2E!

Comment

• Re: Influence - Anchors

While this may not be either RAW or RAI , I have always run it as Influence: Anchor (Place or Thing) indicates that the Ghost has greater power over their anchor specifically. The Ghost of a Rock Star might have Influence: Anchor (Guitar) to show he has power over the specific guitar that he used in life and remains tied to, but would grant no power over any other guitar. The Spirit of Rock and Roll however, might have Influence:Guitar, which can be used on any Guitar within range. It's a bit of a handicap for Ghosts, since it will use at least 1 available Influence dot (at least for the Rank 1 and 2 Ghosts) and is pretty narrow in scope, but they essentially get a way to manifest for free without any extra work or effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
                      Re: Influence - Anchors

While this may not be either RAW or RAI , I have always run it as Influence: Anchor (Place or Thing) indicates that the Ghost has greater power over their anchor specifically. The Ghost of a Rock Star might have Influence: Anchor (Guitar) to show he has power over the specific guitar that he used in life and remains tied to, but would grant no power over any other guitar. The Spirit of Rock and Roll however, might have Influence:Guitar, which can be used on any Guitar within range. It's a bit of a handicap for Ghosts, since it will use at least 1 available Influence dot (at least for the Rank 1 and 2 Ghosts) and is pretty narrow in scope, but they essentially get a way to manifest for free without any extra work or effort.
                      This approach would also make it easier to have ghosts as playable characters on their own. Maybe it’ll be the difference between non-playable ghosts (broad Influence) and playable ghosts (focused, personal Influence), who knows.

Comment

• Goetia-claimed? Please

Comment

• Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                          Goetia-claimed? Please
                          Re: Goetia Claimed

This one took some thought. The big trouble I often have with Goetia is that they do not have access to the primary ways most Ephemeral Entities interact with the world. Its hard to Claim when you don't have access to the Claim Manifestation (or any other Manifestation for that matter). Not to say its impossible, but a Goetia is always going to need outside help to do things Angels, Ghosts, and Spirits take for granted.

posted an example of such below
                          The Hyde
                          The entity called “The Hyde” was unleashed from the mind of a researcher seeking a way to separate a persons potential for sin and vice from their nobler aspiration. Turning to the occult for answers, the researcher enacted a rite that separated his baser impulses into an independent entity. Granted awareness and agency, this “darker half” has possessed the researchers body, and has set to fulfilling every twisted, indulgent, violent impulse.

Rank 2 [Goetia]
                          Power 7 Finesse 3 Resistance 4, Willpower 10, Essence 15
                          Corpus 9, Size 5, Initiative 7, Defense 4, Speed 15
                          Influence: Vice 2
                          Ban: Cannot perform a selfless act; Bane: Truly Virtuous Individuals
                          Manifestation: None; Claim Manifestation applied by external forces.
                          Numina: Awe, Host Jump, Regenerate, Stalwart

Mr. Hyde [Claimed]

Virtue: Determined; Vice: Hedonistic; Vice: Violent
                          Aspiration: Indulge Vices
                          Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 3, Resolve 4
                          Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 3, Stamina 4
                          Social Attributes: Presence 5, Manipulation 2, Composure 4
                          Skills: Academics 3, Brawl 3, Intimidate 4(Thuggish), Occult 2, Science 3, Streetwise 2(Vice Dens), Weaponry 3 (Club)
                          Merits: Defensive Combat (Brawl), Iron Will, Style: Street Fighting 2, Vice Ridden
                          Potency: 3 [Rank +1]
                          Essence: 15
                          Willpower: 8
                          Size: 5
                          Initiative: 7
                          Defense: 6
                          Speed: 14
                          Health: 9
                          Ban: Cannot perform a selfless act; Bane: Truly Virtuous Individuals
                          Weapons/Attacks
                          Unarmed [+0L melee; 9 dice]
                          Club [+1L melee; -1 Initiative, 10 dice]
                          Influence: Vice 2
                          Dread Powers: Madness & Terror, Regenerate 2
                          Last edited by Reighnhell; 03-17-2018, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Spirt of Hematophagy and vampire bats? And thanks for doing my request
                            Last edited by Konradleijon; 03-18-2018, 12:25 PM. Reason: To say thanks (;

Comment

• Originally posted by Reighnhell View Post
                              RE: Familiars

“Friend” is an entity summoned from the astral realms, as an idealized “Good Dog”. While the entity is far more intelligent than a true canine, his desires are simple and most would be surprised to learn that “Friend” is anything more than a well behaved pet. He is kind, friendly and loyal. He does have a protective streak, and shows aggression only when his partner (or a child, he adores children) are threatened or in danger. The physical form he inhabits is a handsome mix of Labrador and Shepard with brindled fur and bright golden eyes.

Rank 2 [Goetia]
                              Power 6 Finesse 3 Resistance 5, Willpower 10, Essence 15
                              Corpus 9, Size 4, Initiative 10, Defense 3, Speed 16
                              Influence: Dogs 1, Friendship 1
                              Ban: Can never abandon his partner voluntarily; Bane: Any weapon that has slain a Dog
                              Manifestation: Familiar
                              Numina: Emotional Aura (Friendly), Pathfinder, Phantom Arsenal*, Seek

Numina – Phantom Arsenal: The entity spends 1 Essence point to manifest blades, claws, fangs, hooks or other appropriate weaponry. The modification acts as a +1L weapon. By spending an additional point of essence, this weapon gains the “9-Again” quality.[/SIZE]

Omen
                              Just curious - how does the Goetia wear a physical form? Is it assumed his master had enough skill in mind magic to let help him possess a dog?
                              Also - is a physical attack like Phantom Arsenal something a Goetia should be able to wield? I thought they were limited to mental effects without help from a mage.
                              (Don't let my questions diminish your enthusiasm for making these guys. I enjoy all the free samples.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Newes View Post
                                Just curious - how does the Goetia wear a physical form? Is it assumed his master had enough skill in mind magic to let help him possess a dog?
                                Familiar and Possession is the same Practice.

Also - is a physical attack like Phantom Arsenal something a Goetia should be able to wield? I thought they were limited to mental effects without help from a mage.
                                There are no stated limitations to what Numina a goetic entity might have, but just like other ephemerals they aren't able to actually use their Numina (or Influences) while using the Possession Manifestation.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                                X