Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You as a Player Character: What Splat would you want to be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You as a Player Character: What Splat would you want to be?

Yes, I shamelessly stole Aya Tari's Idea from here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...you-want-to-be
    If you could pick any of the Splats (- Mages) to become one of them (as a starting character) in our world, which one would you choose (and if you'd like to share, why?)
    You are welcome to state your favored skills and/or subsplats as well.

E.g. Something like "Vampire"; "Werewolf, because I like the tought of being able to turn into a wolf or killing-machine whenever I feel like it" or "Ferrum Tammuz with a lot of Corporeum"

NO MAGES, because I assume they'd be the top spot and chosen by the most, and I want diversity =P If you wouldn't have picked them anyway, I'd be much obliged if you left a statement to that effect (and maybe add why xD)

Bonus: Assuming you'd be a character with (your Age-18) xp, which additional Skills/Merits/Abilities would you be having?

Personally, I'd like to be a Beast, probably an Anakim or Makara Tyrant with Mimir's Wisdom/ Siren's Treacherous Song, Eye of Heaven, Unbreakable and Relentless, because I think that would allow me to live my life with relatively few changes while offering some additional sense of security and comfort.

Edit: For clarification, the question is not "Which Splat describes you best" but "Which splat would you want to be?"
    Last edited by Wormwood; 03-08-2017, 03:26 AM.

Yeah, I did a thread like this as a poll and Mages blew everyone out of the water with about 43% of the votes (30 total). Werewolves came in a distant second with 8 votes or about 11%. I'll stand by the opinion I had then, though. If I had to be a CofD template, I'd go with Promethean for the hope of becoming human again.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      Yeah, I did a thread like this as a poll and Mages blew everyone out of the water with about 43% of the votes (30 total). Werewolves came in a distant second with 8 votes or about 11%. I'll stand by the opinion I had then, though. If I had to be a CofD template, I'd go with Promethean for the hope of becoming human again.
      Huh, Werewolves were second? I'd never have guessed that.

That's unexpected, but I guess I understand your reasoning. I think managing to become a Redeemed would offer an additional benefit: you'd enjoy a very different outlook on life and subsequently a different degree of satisfaction, too. Still, I'd consider this a corageous choice.

Comment

Playing werewolf is awesome, and they don't have many disadvantages. It's not as weighted towards advantages as mages but Forsaken doesn't play the condition as a downer. And the bonuses are more appreciable to the general person. To quote the book, 'Being a werewolf is fucking awesome.'

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          Playing werewolf is awesome, and they don't have many disadvantages. It's not as weighted towards advantages as mages but Forsaken doesn't play the condition as a downer. And the bonuses are more appreciable to the general person. To quote the book, 'Being a werewolf is fucking awesome.'
          Huh. I was kind of unimpressed by 1 ed. Have been repeatedly told 2ed is better. Guess I should give it a try^^
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
            Huh, Werewolves were second? I'd never have guessed that.
            Not too surprising to me, and I'd bet they'll come in first if you exclude Mages. They're pretty light on drawbacks, the biggest being Kuruth, and that can mostly be managed by keeping Harmony in check, maybe a couple of Rites for good measure. Personally though, I wouldn't be able to do it. It's a violent life style no matter what, and I don't know if I could stomach the urge to hunt, particularly not the prey they tend to favor. I can see the appeal, but it wouldn't be for me.

That's unexpected, but I guess I understand your reasoning. I think managing to become a Redeemed would offer an additional benefit: you'd enjoy a very different outlook on life and subsequently a different degree of satisfaction, too. Still, I'd consider this a corageous choice.
            It's an idealistic choice for sure, easier to make when it's purely hypothetical. I'd like to think I would stick by it if I actually had to make such a choice for real, but it's possible with the gravity of it staring me in the face I might well chicken out and go with something easier like a Vampire.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Huh. I was kind of unimpressed by 1 ed. Have been repeatedly told 2ed is better. Guess I should give it a try^^
              Thanks!
              As someone who really wanted to like Werewolf in 1e but always found it unsatisfying, 2e is much better. It pretty much fixed all of the problems I had with 1e and emphasized the parts that I liked most.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

As someone who really wanted to like Werewolf in 1e but always found it unsatisfying, 2e is much better. It pretty much fixed all of the problems I had with 1e and emphasized the parts that I liked most.
                Huh. Sounds a lot like me re: 1ed. Now I am curious. Like, a lot. Guess I'll go pick up a pdf soon.

Comment

I can see why people pick werewolf, but I've never seen them as unbalancingly positive. I mean, keep in mind the gameplay is just abstractions. Kuruth is a mathematical way of representing the sheer, boiling RAGE that's always somewhere inside of you. I don't think I could handle that, combined with a constant urge to hunt and assert my own authority (I mean, come on, look at the pointless fights I've picked, and imagine how much worse that would have been if half my soul was literally made from conceptual embodiments of aggression and territoriality). And I would definitely strongly recommend 2e to anyone who had trouble getting into 1e.

Let's see...can we do minor templates? Being a casual sorcerer or mad scientist wouldn't be that bad. Demon has sheer cool factor going for it, plus being able to switch bodies and having my true form be a monstrous chimeric aggregate of coalesced data would do wonders for my dysphoria, since True Form vs. Cover is pretty much already how I see myself online vs. in real life, but I'm going to try to keep from making this a ten paragraph gush about how much I love demon in so many ways, and why being a disabled trans communist is part of that.

Promethean has some upsides too. Being an Unfleshed would also take care of my dysphoria, since a robot body would pretty much fix all my problems.

I have to admit, the one I've actually given the most thought to is being a vampire, and that definitely has some appeal. I would 100% be Ordo Dracul, for the obvious reasons. I'm surprised Sin-Eaters didn't score higher, they're ridiculously overpowered and without many real downsides (hopefully second edition is going to do something about this).

Demon, Changeling, and Beast all have an "extradimensional personal pocket dimension" option, which would be pretty neat. You know, I'm sure lots of people claim they'd want to be mages because they'd love to be enlightened and explore the cosmos and so on, but really the best reason to go with them is the sheer utility of magic.

Also, I usually think of Mage as its own thing apart from the wider setting, and the original thread was kind of one of the things that made me start doing that. But for the record- Silver Ladder Obrimos or Mastigos.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                    I can see why people pick werewolf, but I've never seen them as unbalancingly positive. I mean, keep in mind the gameplay is just abstractions. Kuruth is a mathematical way of representing the sheer, boiling RAGE that's always somewhere inside of you.
                    Sorry if this is off-topic, but I don't really think the whole constant state of rage thing is so much the case in Forsaken, at least not in 2e. Rage in this sense is more of an Apocalypse concept that got held over into 1e Forsaken and 2e has kind of moved away from. In my understanding, it's not so much that Uratha's rage is constantly simmering and Kuruth is it boiling over, more so that Werewolves are in part spirits of the hunt, and spirits cannot go against their nature. If you don't hunt willingly, your nature forces you to hunt unwillingly. Despite the name you're not necessarily angry when you Death Rage, you're just in a state where you are ruled by your spiritual instincts, and those instincts tell you to kill anything that looks like it might be prey. Kuruth Triggers aren't things that upset you, they're things that speak to your inner spirit and tell it now is the time to hunt. Your Auspice Moon brings out the wolf in you. The smell of blood makes you crave the kill. Your packmates being injured kicks your survival instincts into action. The sting of silver forces the spirit to defend itself. The presence of other supernatural creatures tempts you with exotic prey. It's not about rage, it's about predatory drive.
                    Last edited by Charlaquin; 10-28-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I mean, yeah, but given how angry people, myself included, can get over trivial things even without any of that, I still don't think it would be pleasant to have inside of you, even if they don't directly correlate to anger.

As an even greater aside, though, that's an element I'll keep in mind if I ever design any other Shifters/Claimed, since I should have a "The X Must Y" statement for all of them.

Comment

This is a hard choice. My first choice was disqualified, so ...

I'd go for Mekhet, but I am torn on Covenant - Carthian, Circle, or Ordo Dracul. I'm not actually sure I'd want to be a vampire, given that being a vampire sucks in a lot of ways, but ESP takes the edge off. So does immortality. I'd miss my favorite foods, but that depends on whether blush of life makes food enjoyable again (although the need to vomit it back up remains).

Maybe Eshmaki Nemesis, but I kind of think that would put me in a position of doing things I'd hate to do to survive. I basically picked the things that haunt me most when I have nightmares (or when I have disturbing dreams that are somehow not nightmares) to get this. I'd probably prefer family dinner over regular feeding, if I could find other supernaturals with whom I could hang out.

Another possibility is Irraka Bone Shadow. I love shapeshifters and would love to be one myself. I picked Bone Shadow for reasons similar to picking Mekhet, and Irraka for similar reasons that I picked Eshmaki. Plus I am pretty stealthy and like it.

28 experiences is a lot to go on. I'd probably spend a lot of them on merits to guarantee a safe place, resources, and contacts. I'd spend the rest on supernatural powers and/or power traits. Definitely would buy Lair as a beast or Primal-Urge as a werewolf, not sure about Blood Potency. Would pick up more supernatural powers as well. This is all very vague but I don't have the books open in front of me. Would learn some athletics and another combat skill for self-defense.
                        Last edited by Resplendent Fire; 10-28-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Phenomenologist, from Genius the Transgression. Because who wouldn't want to be the sort of person where just talking to you is dangerous?

Comment

Purified, with emphasis on Spiritual Defense Siddhi.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

Hmmm, ruling out Mages makes the selection tough. I wouldn't want to be urged to hurt people, that rules out Vampire and Beast. Being prone to mad breaks of fury ain't really my style, which knocks out Werewolf. Promethean is just suffering, no thanks. Mummies are slaves, no thanks. Changelings and Demons are constantly hiding and putting up facades, which is exhausting, but at least they have some agency to strike back. Maybe a Sin-Eater, they've still got it kinda good (though I'm expecting 2e to make their lives a tad darker). If minor splats are an option I'd probably go for of some sort Proximi, hopefully without an overly debilitating curse.

But this is all pointless, the forums already decided I was a Demon. No point in arguing with the masses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Onyx Path Moderator
                              Mod Voice is RED*
                              *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                              Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Working...
                              X