Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube - Chronicle Design & "RPG Theory"

Hello dear community,

I have been searching on youtube for a channel that focuses on management, design and such for chronicle/scenes/stories (CofD/nWoD). The hunt for the moment has
    been fruitless. I was wondering if anyone knows any good YT channel?

I have found and watched a lot of channels that focuses on the D&D setting (Ex. Dungeons & Encounters). Would really like to see a channel dedicated to this roleplaying game in particular.

Regards Chompzki

You might check out the Gentleman Gamer. He mostly does old World of Darkness but has a few videos on new and Chronicles.

Most sources of advice for these things I've found on text sites. Charlaquin directed me to the Angry GM who has good advice but it's primarily focused on Dungeons and Dragons. The Philippine Gamer has a blog that goes into RPGs in general but primarily focuses on Chronicles and Mage in particular. There's threads about it on this forum and others like RPG.net. But in all Chronicles of Darkness doesn't have a lot in the way of specialized advice. And most books don't really get into it.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
      Charlaquin directed me to the http://theangrygm.com/"]Angry GM[/URL] who has good advice but it's primarily focused on Dungeons and Dragons.
      I was about to say, Angry is neither on YouTube nor focused on CofD, but his articles on RPG theory and Andventure and Campaign design are excellent. And although they are primarily focused on D&D and Pathdinder, the thing about RPG theory is that it's pretty universally applicable, regardless of what specific RPG.

I'm definitely not aware of any CofD focused YouTube channels, but there's the podcast Network Zero. I haven't listened to it so I do r know if it has what you're looking for, I just know it's described as a CofD focused podcast.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

nofather and charlaquin, thanks for the answer! I need to look into the channels and theories. What are your opinions on RPG theories in general? I have been working on some for self-learning and reflection.

EDIT: Testing them in a Werewolf campaign at the moment and going to test them in a vampire campaign later on.
        Last edited by Chompzki; 11-06-2016, 03:15 AM.

Comment

I watched the "How to be a great GM" videos recently and found them very helpful. They are not especially for CofD, but he tries to keep things very general and gives almost always examples for different settings:
          https://youtu.be/tquo1wsrb14

Comment

I highly recommend checking out Network Zero, Darker Days Radio, and Midnight Express. They're primarily podcasts (Midnight Express exclusively as far as I'm aware) but Darker Days and Network Zero have video Podcasts of their work on YouTube. Midnight Express covers OWoD but is none the less fantastic in their discussions of Chronicle Design and RPG theory, and Network Zero & Dark Days Radio is done by the same group of people and cover CofD and a mixture of both respectedly.

Comment

If you give the Gentleman Gamer a look, I would strongly recommend his "The Ivory Wall" Chronicle, which is a OWOD Chronicle focused on two Toreador clanmates in West Berlin in the days leading up to the fall of the Wall, and the political fallout in the event. It was the first time that I really had interest in Masquerade, and he and his two players were really dedicated to putting together a really compelling story.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                I was about to say, Angry is neither on YouTube nor focused on CofD, but his articles on RPG theory and Andventure and Campaign design are excellent. And although they are primarily focused on D&D and Pathdinder, the thing about RPG theory is that it's pretty universally applicable, regardless of what specific RPG.

I'm definitely not aware of any CofD focused YouTube channels, but there's the podcast Network Zero. I haven't listened to it so I do r know if it has what you're looking for, I just know it's described as a CofD focused podcast.

Yeah Network Zero will have more CofD focused epsiodes soon, just been very busy with other stuff right now. We should be doing our Werewolf episode soon.

www.darker-days.org - The Premier World of Darkness Podcast

Comment

If you don't mind going through books, there are some good books that look into the history of game design - I'd recommend Engine Publishing Books

Comment

I would love to see more CofD facing stuff like this online but there are a few resources squirrelled away.

I'd definitely recommend the Gentleman Gamer's channel he provides a really good overview of pretty much most of the game lines both new and old world. There was a series of around 4 Podcasts the Darker Days crew did helping their friend prepare for his first Chronicle and I found that really useful. They've started a newer Podcast Network Zero which is looking more at Chronicles but there are not many episodes available and their focus seems to be on miniature games like Kingdom Death at the moment. I'm pretty sure the Wrecking Crew have a podcast talking about various game/location design for CofD/WoD.

I'm not sure if you are interested in Actual Plays but I've been compiling a list here of CofD games.

Comment

Working...
                    X