Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just rereading the updates.

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    Actually, the burden of proof is on you since ArcaneArts is (somewhat rudely, perhaps) questioning your statement. And I'd also like to hear some support for how Geniuses are forced to take responsibilities or face meaningful consequences.
    Actually, since ArcaneArts first asserted that Genii aren't responsible for their actions (making a claim), the burden of proof does in fact fall upon them fist as to why they aren't. I'll admit I should have asked for support first instead of a banal "no you're wrong".

mp122984 summarized it well enough, anyways. A Genius who acts out of line gets punished both by their internal Karma meter, and by making enemies of pretty much everyone.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    Also this.^

Demon is actually a hell of a book for Genius to take notes from in general.
    But... Genius couldn't have taken notes from Demon, since Genius came out before Demon was written.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      Just rereading the updates.

Actually, since ArcaneArts first asserted that Genii aren't responsible for their actions (making a claim), the burden of proof does in fact fall upon them fist as to why they aren't. I'll admit I should have asked for support first instead of a banal "no you're wrong".

mp122984 summarized it well enough, anyways. A Genius who acts out of line gets punished both by their internal Karma meter, and by making enemies of pretty much everyone.

But... Genius couldn't have taken notes from Demon, since Genius came out before Demon was written.
      1) Wow, fucking hell. Just. Fucking hell.

2) Genius, as of Chapter 2, does not do much to encourage or incentivize responsbility, textually speaking, both in the fluff and the mechanics. They have a karma meter, but that Karma meter does little in terms of sting, and the game's fluff seems to encourage the hostility you reference more than it discourages it.

3) So, funny thing-There's this thread? It's kind of huge? It's called "Genius: The Transgression 2nd Edition?". Where people are working on making a 2nd Edition. And you know, since Genius is a thing, it's not unreasonable to assume that people might, I dunno. Write supplements for it? Create updates? Expand on the material? Fucking do fan shit for a game they like? And they aren't doing it, like. All in the years before 2014? Like, they're doing it Now? They were doing it when this Thread came out? And they can take hints from Demon the Descent?

Maybe you should think about shit like that before getting on my case. Because, you know, I know that Genius couldn't have taken hints from a game that wasn't out.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
      Work Blog Coming Soon
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        1) Wow, fucking hell. Just. Fucking hell.

2) Genius, as of Chapter 2, does not do much to encourage or incentivize responsbility, textually speaking, both in the fluff and the mechanics. They have a karma meter, but that Karma meter does little in terms of sting, and the game's fluff seems to encourage the hostility you reference more than it discourages it.

3) So, funny thing-There's this thread? It's kind of huge? It's called "Genius: The Transgression 2nd Edition?". Where people are working on making a 2nd Edition. And you know, since Genius is a thing, it's not unreasonable to assume that people might, I dunno. Write supplements for it? Create updates? Expand on the material? Fucking do fan shit for a game they like? And they aren't doing it, like. All in the years before 2014? Like, they're doing it Now? They were doing it when this Thread came out? And they can take hints from Demon the Descent?

Maybe you should think about shit like that before getting on my case. Because, you know, I know that Genius couldn't have taken hints from a game that wasn't out.
        2. So, you still haven't read Chapter 3 and beyond? You are basing your entire assessment on 2/5ths (not counting the Appendices) of a book?

3. Maybe make that clear? I was expecting to see something like "Demon is actually a hell of a book for any working on Genius to take notes from in general." or "Demon is actually a hell of a book for the Genius 2E crowd to take notes from in general.", seeing as you are aware of those things. You just said "Genius" and there is only the one source, last updated 7 years or so ago (The 2E update thread isn't anywhere close to done, so 1.1 is all there is, even semi-officially).

Regardless, you've clarified your meaning on that one, now.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• I assumed it was obvious.

Or, perhaps more accurately, I trust that readers aren't idiots.

And yeah, I am still basing that off of what I've read. I admit, I could be wrong-though I doubt it, because Obligation is totally in Chapter 2.

I kind of have better things to do than read a game I don't like and continue a fight I don't care about anymore, for now anyways.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
          Work Blog Coming Soon
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• @Vree

I do apologies if this thread ended up wasting your time. That was never my intention, in fact at first it truly was meant to look at the fan game from a critical but unbiased lens. My original critiques were relatively critical but fair up until a certain point, an that was because much like a sea shell that washed ashore from the Ocean Oroboros in the Anima Mundi the more I read an looked at the game the more and more harder it was to remain unbiased as I was filled with mounting anger and disgust. Looking back over it now after having sufficiently cooled off my final critical evaluation of Genius: the Transgression 1st Edition is that while it was a fascinating idea filled with great potential it ultimately suffered from the creator's bias against Mage: the Awakening and nostalgia for Mage: the Ascension with smattering of unintentional bigotry and masoginy pared with scientific fetishism.

The Genius: the Transgression 2nd Edition thread was brought up earlier and I can pleasantly say that long before my well intended review tuned rage tangent the fan community had already recognized the problems with Genius and have worked tirelessly to make it the game they love and without the heinous undertones that held the original back from it's true potential. As of it's most current update I can honestly say I can't find anything to criticize about it and greatly look forward to it's forward progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dusksage View Post
              The Genius: the Transgression 2nd Edition thread was brought up earlier and I can pleasantly say that long before my well intended review tuned rage tangent the fan community had already recognized the problems with Genius and have worked tirelessly to make it the game they love and without the heinous undertones that held the original back from it's true potential. As of it's most current update I can honestly say I can't find anything to criticize about it and greatly look forward to it's forward progress.
              Don't worry, I'm sure I'll come up with something.

For real, thanks.

Quick note, I've been quiet lately because I'm moving things to a wiki. Once I've done that, more substantive stuff will be coming.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Working...
              X