Lair Traits and Extreme Environments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lair Traits and Extreme Environments

Many Lair traits say they count as Extreme Environments (Hurricane, Extreme Cold, Extreme Heat, etc), but also include rules that don't really align with the Extreme Environment rules.

For example: Hurricane counts as a level 3 extreme environment. In addition to the damage, this levels a -3 penalty to all actions. However, the text than says it 'also' imposes a -3 to aural Perception rolls and all Physical Dice Pools.

Which of the following interpretations are correct?

1) -3 to all actions in the effected area, increased to -6 for aural perception rolls and physical dice pools. This is an extremely high penalty, but...it is a Hurricane.
    2) -3 to aural perception rolls and physical dice pools only, replacing the usual -3 to all actions. Seems underpowered, but my instinct is this may be RAI

Hmm . . . I don't have my copy handy, but you might be able to reconcile the discrepancy do to the origin of a Chamber. Its not a "real" place - rather, its a tangible representation of a human's reaction to a real world event. So a hurricane-themed Chamber might well have different rules than a "real" hurricane would

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
      Hmm . . . I don't have my copy handy, but you might be able to reconcile the discrepancy do to the origin of a Chamber. Its not a "real" place - rather, its a tangible representation of a human's reaction to a real world event. So a hurricane-themed Chamber might well have different rules than a "real" hurricane would
      The problem is that the rules describing the Hurricane Lair trait say that it both counts as a Level 3 Extreme Environment, and imposes the -3 penalty. There's no actual discrepancy, as the Lair Trait does mention both - I'm just not sure if they stack.

Comment

With a straight reading of the relevant sections... I think they stack, so you have a -3 dice penalty to all actions and a -6 dice penalty to aural perception and physical rolls.

That's pretty nasty, but Major Traits are noted as counting up to Level 4 Extreme Environments, and that's on par with desert exposure and moderate radiation exposure. Basically, stuff that will definitely kill you.

Maybe they lowered the level of Extreme Environment for the more focused aspects?

Comment

Working...
        X