[Brood] The Hollow Five

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Brood] The Hollow Five

Since some people asked for it and I'm way too much eager to show my work, I guess it's time to do this post. As many of you might know, I like Beast quite a lot and the result of this love is that I spend a lot of time thinking about it. The most coherent and enduring thing born out of it is the Mother's Hollow setting, a not-exactly-that-original CoD setting I made from scratch. I use it to write bad fiction, mostly, but it's also the testing ground for many game and setting ideas I have. It's actually quite detailed, and I have a written a whole timeline, population and list of plot of hooks for it. Why? Because I can and have tons of fun with it, I guess, and also because it's a way to force myself to channel creative efforts in a focused way, which, for me at least, is not always easy.

Mother's Hollow was born as a Beast-focused setting (it grew from it, but the core still remains) and it was built around the Brood I'm going to detail here. Look at them as my sample Brood of sorts. Not really Ready-Made characters, but you get the idea. I'd appreciate to hear your thoughts and criticism about them. Since I use them for writing fiction, there will be a "spoiler" post later that will detail some of the secrets and twists of the setting. It might not be important, but a warning is due, just in case you want to read the fiction and enjoy it without spoilers.

Also, while we're at it, I have introductory stories ready in my mind for all members of the Brood, but I am not sure with whom to start. If you happen to be interested and would like to read more about a specific one of these Beasts, let me know it: it might help me to choose.

Edit: The write-ups here are written in a sort of blank space before the story actually happens and/or don't take all the events and realities of setting into account. Some things might not make sense at first, but hopefully the spoiler section will shed some light over it.

Ok, let's start:
    Simon, King, Anakim Ravager

"That's not enough. You have one more chance to do better or I'll have no choice. Yes, I know it will ruin your grades, but that's how it is."

"Oh, so that's how we're doing it? Very well, I'm sure not going to hold back then"

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair! Always keep that in mind, it will help you many times along the way"

Legend: Destructive. To various degrees, Simon tears things apart. He alters the status quo, breaking down conventions, ideals (even objects and places, at times) and putting people in front of the notion that nothing ever lasts. He likes to see himself as a force of change and tries to tamper this by seeing ruin as an opportunity to grow and evolve, but the truth is he has an easier time causing destruction than renewal.

Life: Protective. For all that's worth, Simon cares for those around him. He's fiercely protective about his friends and sees his job as something that allows him both to defend and help his students. He's deeply fond of his adoptive home and Family, meaning he'd do anything to protect them. Nothing ever lasts, true, but Simon works hard to be sure to be there and make things go as smooth as possible whenever change inevitably happens. This also means he hates to lose control and bring unchecked Ruin upon the place, something that happens more often he'd like to admit.

Concept: Cool Monster Teacher

Horror: Ouroboros of Death and Rebirth

Family: Anakim

Hunger: Ruin

Background: Simon's first years as a Begotten were rough. The spontaneus Devouring that happened to him during the last year of high school finally gave a meaning to a lot of things he always believed to be true and explained a lot about his whole life, but the reality of living as a Beast plus the specific nature of the Horror at the core of his soul made things difficult. He hurt people, he ruined things and, soon enough, he was noticed. Simon had the bad luck both to not find other Begotten that would help him and to stumble upon a bunch of quite nasty Heroes. Back then, the best solution was to flee. He faked his own suicide in a way he thought would give enough closure to his relatives and friends and started to run, never looking back. The Heroes followed him.
    The chase drove him across the country, guided purely by chance and instinct. It ended when the train he jumped on arrived to Mother's Hollow. As Simon was about to have his last stand against a Hero, Sheriff Holloway and the other members of his Brood found him. While Simon's first instinct was to keep running, the Sheriff offered him the opportunity to start over again. Simon gave him a chance and now, years later, he has both a family and place to call home. With the help of his Brood, he found his place. Sheriff Holloway used his influence to give him all the papers needed to live in peace and, when the attitude and desire manifested, helped him obtain a job in the local school as an history teacher.
    All things considered, Simon is actually quite competent at what he does, even if some people still talk about how he's too young and the way he obtained his desk is not exactly regular. Simon does not mind, he loves teaching and that passion is clear even to his students, who tend to respect him and consider him a fair teacher, if not exactly always a kind one.

Description: Simon is a young man in his late twenties. He tries to keep himself well-kempt, in a way fitting to his role, but he's not very good at it. His aspect is fairly common, with his bright green eyes being the only striking element of it. The costant conflict between his attitude and his Hunger leave his exhausted from time to time, and it often takes a toll on his looks, dark circles around his eyes appearing quite commonly. He has a passion for theatrics and, when at ease, he tends to talk too much and extends dialogues more than needed. It's a guilty pleasure for him and arguably a part of his charm as a teacher. When angry or provoked, he goes for short but powerful sentences instead, a way to vent and rant that barely keeps the tremendous fury of his Horror at bay. This shows, meaning that those who see Simon's bad side don't forget it easily, for good or bad.
    Simon's Horror is a immense serpent that inhabits a desert filled with the ruins of countless broken civilizations. Structures and statues of hundreds of different cultures, some truly forgotten by modern mankind, can be found here. The fangs of the creature drip with venon, but it is also big and strong enough to destroy anything in its path. The heat and the desolation of the desert are nothing to compared to the danger posed by this unstoppable juggernaut.

Roleplaying Hints: Simon lives at the center of a conflict between the lesson his Horror embodies and the desire to protect both Mother's Hollow and its inhabitants. He embraced his Beast nature long ago and would never deny it, but things are not always easy for him. Simon sees his job as History teacher as way to reconcile both sides of his nature, a perhaps too literal way to teach his lesson. He takes his responsibilities towards the school and the students quite seriously. It's working so far, but not without trouble. The town is not his first priority by default, but he realizes that those he care about can be safe only as long the community itself is safe.
    Simon sees Robert as a paternal figure of sorts and, even if he does not believe the Sheriff's efforts can last, he does anything possible to help and would hate to disappoint him (not that he'd admit it). He's quite close to Natalie, in which he found a kindred spirit, but he unconsciously avoids thinking about her romantically for fear of altering the balance and the dynamics of the group.
    He could not predict it himself at first, but Simons soon grew to see his Brood as the most important thing in his life. He cares for all of them and is willing to forgive them basically anything. Sometimes he wonders if he has to thank the Dark Mother for sending him here. His strongest fear is to lose them, something that can be used against him. Anybody that does that needs to be careful tough: Simon has a degree of control and awareness about his Horror and his powers that make him a dangerous opponent

Aspirations: Prove himself as a teacher to the community (Long Term), Take the whole Brood out for a fun night together (Short Term)

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 3, Resolve 4
    Physical Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3
    Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 3, Composure 2
    Mental Skills: Academics 4 (History, Literature), Computer 1, Craft 1, Investigation 3, Occult 2, Politics 1, Science 1
    Social Skills: Animal Ken 1 (Reptiles), Empathy 2 (Teens), Expression 2 (Writing), Intimidation 3, Persuasion 2, Socialize 1, Subterfuge 2

Physical Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 3,Larceny 1, Stealth 1, Survival 1
    Merits: Alternate Identity 2, Common Sense, Contacts (Academics), Danger Sense, Danger Sense (Advanced), Demolisher 1, Eidetic Memory, Fast Reflexes 1, Fleet of Foot 1, Professional Training 3, Status (School District)
    Willpower: 6
    Lair: 3
    Lair Traits: Extreme Heat, Exposed, Decayed

Atavisms: Basilisk's Touch, Cyclopean Strength, Mimir's Wisdom, Monster From the Deep, Relentless Hunter, Titanic Blow
    Nightmares: All Your Teeth Are Falling Out, Everything You Do Is Worthless, Run Away,
    Last edited by Cinder; 11-27-2016, 07:15 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
    Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Robert "Buck" Holloway, Eshmaki Tyrant

"You've been here for a while but we had not the chance to talk yet. Let me introduce myself: I'm Sheriff Holloway, welcome to my town. Enjoy your stay."

"It's easy. There are rules. You follow them, everything is fine, no need to worry about anything. You break them, you get punished. No other choices, no way out. Remember it, because I'm not going to explain them twice"

"Whoever told you you could do that without me learning about it was almost as stupid as you. Now we need to talk."

Legend: Dreaded. Robert does not exactly "rule through fear", but it's clear he appreciates the notion. The way he exercises control it's all about other people knowing he's the one that pulls the strings. The few times he actually has to get into action, he makes sure to let people know, either directly or subtly, that's what happens to those cross him he established and, most importantly, that he's always in the shadows watching. Go against his desires or break the rules he established and there will be consequences.

Life: Fair. On the other hand, Robert can be both just and kind. He considers the well-being of those around him a responsibility, either if they're friends or just "subjects", and he makes a point to always administer punishments and rewards fairly, as long as everything goes according to his personal vision. Odds are that if you go looking for help to him, he'll act accordingly to the idea of honor, courage and duty he lives by. He expects other to learn from his example or at least do their best to try.

Concept: Modern King

Horror: Burning Stag

Family: Eshmaki

Hunger: Power

Background: Robert grew up restless. The eldest on of a hard-working carpenter and of a tireless woman who managed to handle both her work as a secretary in the city hall and her four sons, Robert was raised with certain valors that he effortlessly accepted as its own. Still, no matter what he did, something was always missing. His search for a reason to be brought him to fight for his country in Vietnam, but the answer came from an unexpected place. An old Vietcong fighter recognized Robert for what he could have been and, ignoring their human allegiances, put him through a Devouring. The experience of war and the guide of the old Beast contributed to shape Robert’s true identity. When he returned home, he brought back a dream with him, something he actually always earned for: to create a place he could truly call his own and shape it according to his ideal of a perfect kingdom, with him as the Begotten king in charge.
    The place Robert choose to create his utopia was none other than his beloved hometown. He soon entered the local police force, to protect the place from a mundane perspective, and began making acquaintances with the local supernatural forces, politely informing them that he was the one in charge now and that they all had the choice to join him and prosper or fight and face the consequences. The idea of kingdom Robert had and the laws it should had were quite specific, something born out of a mixture of Arthurian legends, American values and the Begotten’s perspective. This of course means that Robert had to deal with his fair deal of enemies, Heroes and all kind of problems, but one can say he actually succeeded: as both the Sheriff and the undiscussed Apex, he has control over about any aspect of Mother Hollow’s growth and he’s the one that takes all the real decisions.
    It took years, but Robert managed to obtain control of Mother’s Hollow while also carefully leading the town's growth into the direction he wanted for it. He also set down, married a woman he loved and created a family, something he waited a long time to do. Oddly, it took even longer for him to create a Brood. Whether because there were no other Beasts around or for an unkwnown reason, Robert was a king without a court for many decades. As a result, he’s far older and stronger than all the other members of his Brood, but none of them seems to mind. Sometimes the others wonder if there were other Beasts in Mother’s Hollow before them, but Robert never mentioned any.

Description: Robert, or “Buck”, as he prefers to be called when not on duty, is a heavily built man that appears to be on the best side of his fifties, perfectly healthy and always carismatic and imposing. He’s tall, not overly muscular but undeniably strong, something that appears evident now even more than when he was younger. His beard is now almost mostly grey and has been that way for years, but that only adds to the image of figure of authority he irradiates. Buck usually lets his presence speak for himself, but when he talks, people listen.
    Robert’s Horror is a huge stag made of darkness whose horns turn are aflames. Into the perpetual moonless night of the infinite dark woods that are Robert’s Lair, the appearance of the Horror amidst the trees is a sight to behold, both magnificent and terrifying.

Roleplaying Hints: Robert loves the role of good king he built for himself almost too much. Were he not up to the part, it would be excessive, but somehow he manages to pull it off absolutely straight. He’s basically an anachronism, but one that managed to adapt to modern times so much that he’s undeniably in control of the situation. The Sheriff loves the town, his family and his Brood deeply, but woe to anyone that tries to ruin the perfect picture of it he has in mind. He tries to be reasonable and give others the illusion of choice, but in the end he’ll refuse to bow to anyone. Robert actually is willing to listen to his fellow Begotten, but he will always take the final decision. There are many secrets in his past, the things he did and the deals he had to make in order to assure a future to his kingdom, a safe place for Beasts like few others, but he feels no need to speak about it to anyone. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, after all, and he feel strong enough to accept the consequences.

Aspirations: Finish building the fishing boat before winter freezes the lake (Long Term), Go watch your son's baseball game (Short Term)
    Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Resolve 5
    Physical Attributes: Strength 6, Dexterity 3, Stamina 7
    Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 2, Composure 5
    Mental Skills: Academics 1, Craft 4 (Carpentry), Investigation 4, Medicine 2 (First Help), Occult 1, Politics 4 (Local Scene)
    Physical Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 4, Drive 3, Firearms 4, Larceny 2, Stealth 1, Survival 4 (Woods, Hunting, Fishing)), Weaponry 1
    Social Skills: Animal Ken 1 (Wild Animals), Empathy 2, Intimidation 5 (Authority), Persuasion 4, Socialize 2, Streetwise 2 ,
    Merits: Allies 5 (Police), Allies 4 (Local Community), Fame 1, Hunger Management 3, Indomitable, Heavy Weapons 5, Inspiring, Iron Skin 2, Iron Skin (Advanced, 2), Iron Skin (Epic), Patient, Resources 2, Small Units Tactics, Status 5 (Police), Status 5 (Local Community), True Friend (See Spoiler Section)
    Willpower: 10
    Lair: 7, Burning, Darkness, Maze, Fog, Undergrowth
    Atavisms:Dragonfire, Limb From Limb, Looming Presence, Shadowed Souls, Titanic Blow,
    Nightmares:You Must Obey, They Are All Around You, You Are Not Alone, You Can't Wake Up,
    Last edited by Cinder; 01-06-2017, 10:56 PM.

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

Reserved for Makara Predator

Comment

Reserved for Namtaru Nemesis

Comment

Reserved for Ugallu Collector

Comment

Reserved for other Family Members

Comment

Reserved for Story Hooks, Spoilers and Miscellaneous

Comment

I like Simon very much. Which supernaturals does he consider his Kin? It sounds like he might find common ground with certain Moros and Sin-Eaters. What would his reaction to the Unchained be? What types of Anathema does he develop when attacked by Heroes?

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
                  I like Simon very much. Which supernaturals does he consider his Kin? It sounds like he might find common ground with certain Moros and Sin-Eaters. What would his reaction to the Unchained be? What types of Anathema does he develop when attacked by Heroes?
                  Thanks! I hope you'll like the others too.

To reply to your questions:

1) Sin-Eaters for sure, Moros only if they share his disposition towards death and renewal. He has no experience with Mummies but from what he know he sees them as creatures that could use his help, so there's that. He also got in touch with a Razilu, but that Kinship did not end well. He's more fond of the "Descended from the Dark Mother" category, but he's open to opportunities. Simon, by default, is not a fan of vampires, which he considers too static and victims of their own little games. It's just a general disposition, but it's there.

2) More forgiving than many Beasts, at least initially. He understands well what means to be on the run. Not many Demons come to Mother's Hollow (for reasons I'll explain), but he tends to give them a chance more often than not. He does not like the sensation they give him, but he does not let that cloud his judgement.

3) Anathema that are placed on Simon tend to be Rage, Weak Spot an Weaponbound. He sometimes wonders if this has something to do with the monomyth and his reptilian nature, but he does not delve too much on the matter.
                  Last edited by Cinder; 11-27-2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Finals are over, I have some time, so I posted the Eshmaki Tyrant. Some things with him might not sound right, like how he manages to hide the fact he's not aging properly in such a small town, but that's something the Spoiler section will take care of. Let me know what you think of him!

Comment

Working...
                    X