[NPC] Agatha Bishop, The Witch In The Woods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [NPC] Agatha Bishop, The Witch In The Woods

This is the full write up of the character described in this post. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Background: Before her Devouring, Agatha was a skeptical and isolated woman who felt suffocated by the many rules of society. She rarely got along with her peers, and preferred to spend her time alone among books and trees. Her emotional detachment gave her a clinical outlook on social dynamics, and she would often try to warn people that their destinies were the fruit of their habits, and nothing more. Despite this, she always felt that there had to something more than neurochemistry guiding human nature.

In her nightmares, this thought would come to life in the form of a great witch who controlled fiends and people alike from her hut in the woods. At first she was frightened of entering the woods and facing this creature. She had a nagging feeling that whatever she would find there would shatter her understanding of what moved the passions of mankind. But other people would enter the woods and alert the witch, who would send its fiends to lay terrible curses upon the trespassers.

The Devouring happened when she followed the fiends out of the woods and into the city. Watching them closely, Agatha realized there was a pattern to their predation. Writing down their faces and their names in her memory during each dream, she would wake up and research them. Eventually she discovered a gateway to the Shadow in the woods near her home, and went through it.

Once she had crossed to the other side, she made a barrier around her so that the spirits would not harm her, and meditated into a deep and revelatory dream. Mustering up her courage, she entered the hut of the witch, and realized they were one and the same. The creature grabbed her by the neck with a long branchlike limb and snapped it. As she lay on the floor, the witch got closer and closer until they merged.

Appearance: Even though she is in her late thirties, Agatha was honed by her life in the woods and the Shadow into a lean and functional shape. She keeps her brown hair in single short braid, and prefers clothes suited to the outdoors, crafted by her if possible. She has tribal tattoos from the neck to her feet which work as permanent Fetishes with a multitude of uses. Wherever she goes, she carries a large backpack filled with survival gear, supplies, hard cash and books. When she goes into the Shadow, she carries an additional Fetish in the form of a wooden staff with an oil lamp dangling its curved tip, which helps her pinpoint several sorts of spiritual entities and phenomena even if they are supernaturally concealed. She is very formal and has little in the way of charisma, but she is good at diplomacy and can keep a steady voice even during heated conflicts. When asked to tell her renditions of both famous and obscure folk tales, her normally aloof expression lights up and she gives a huge, welcoming smile.

Storytelling Hints: Agatha is built for ease of use in any game where the Shadow and spirits play a significant role, especially Werewolf games. She can help a pack figure out the weakness of an invading Idigam by going on a quest in the Shadow to interview and trade favors with many spirit Choirs. She can assist Hunters in chasing down a Left-Handed Thyrsus who has been conducting unethical experiments on humans and spirits. She can even aid Mages in seeking out a lost Familiar or Artifact that has been taken into the Deep Shadow by Gulmoth.

Despite her tendency to act as an ally, she can also become an enemy if she feels those she is working with are taking advantage of her or damaging the balance between the mortal realm and the Shadow. Her preferred victims are irresponsible and corrupt shamans of all stripes, from the lowest wolf-blooded to the most experienced Bone Shadow. Her methods of punishment usually involve the manipulation of individual spirits to lay subtle curses. However, if someone goes as far as to destroy loci, create Wounds or spread Shartha, she can cash in favors to summon the help of entire Choirs and even the Royal Avatars of Rank 6+ entities.

Legend: Judgmental
    Life: Honest

Family: Makara
    Hunger: Punishment

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 3
    Physical Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3
    Social Attributes: Presence 2, Manipulation 3, Composure 4

Mental Skills: Academics 2, Crafts (Woodcarving, Gardening) 3, Computer 0, Medicine (Herbs & Remedies) 2, Occult (Spirits) 4, Politics 1, Investigation 3, Science 1
    Physical Skills: Athletics 2, Brawl 2, Drive 0, Firearms (Crossbow) 1, Larceny 2, Stealth (Woods) 3, Survival (Hunting) 3, Weaponry (Knife) 3
    Social Skills: Animal Ken 3, Empathy 2, Expression (Storytelling) 1, Intimidation 3, Persuasion 3, Socialize 0, Streetwise 2, Subterfuge 2

Merits: Area Of Expertise (Spirits), Common Sense, Encyclopedic Knowledge (Occult, Survival), Holistic Awareness, Interdisciplinary Specialty (Spirits), Investigative Aide (Occult, Survival), Library 2 (Occult), Patient, Professional Training 4 (Shaman: Occult, Survival, Persuasion), Tolerance For Biology, Trained Observer 1, Iron Stamina 2, Hardy 3, Allies (Spirits 4, Werewolves 3), Contacts (Spirits, Werewolves, Clients), Resources 1, Hunger Management 2, Spoor 3, Mother’s Feast, Esoteric Armory 3, Light Weapons 3 (Knife)

Atavisms: Witchwood, Looming Presence, Monster From The Deep, Unbreakable, Eye Of Heaven

Nightmares: Behold My True Form, You Deserve This, They Are All Around You

Defense: 5
    Initiative: 7
    Speed: 11
    Willpower: 7
    Health: 12
    Lair: 4
    Starting Satiety: 3

Horror Traits: Power 5, Finesse 7, Resistance 7, Size 8, Health 12, Defense 6, Initiative 7, Speed 17
    Lair Traits: Poor Light. Maze, Mirages, Engulfing

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

A very interesting writeup you got there. XD And I think it's the first one I've seen that uses my Mother's Feast Merit.

That said, have you thought up any descriptions for her Fetishes? As well as how she can activate them on her own? I'm assuming that the latter might make use of Mother's Feast?

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Cool character. Quite iconic, which is always a good thing with Beast

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
      Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

I'm more friendly than I look, I'm just bad at showing it. Trying to improve about that.

Comment

What exactly does she have that gives her call favours from, entire choirs or royal avatars?

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
        My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
        Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
          A very interesting writeup you got there. XD And I think it's the first one I've seen that uses my Mother's Feast Merit.

That said, have you thought up any descriptions for her Fetishes? As well as how she can activate them on her own? I'm assuming that the latter might make use of Mother's Feast?
          Thank you. I haven't thought of any descriptions for her Fetishes. I figured that should be left up to the ST. That being said, one of the uses of her tatoos is shifting into and out of Twilight for the spirit frequency. When she needs to enter the Shadow, she uses the Skeleton Key.

As for how she activates the Fetishes on her own, she mostly makes use of Mother's Feast, like you said. However, she has other means of generating Essence, such as the Twilight Gourmet.

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
          Cool character. Quite iconic, which is always a good thing with Beast
          Thank you as well. Do you have any suggestions or questions?

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
          What exactly does she have that gives her call favours from, entire choirs or royal avatars?
          That's a good question. I imagine that she has discovered some secrets about spirits since she started working with werewolves and other shamans. And while she lives in the woods, she does use her innate Beast powers to travel and research spirits of other lands. Her accumulated expertise plus her Fetishes and Esoteric Armory allow her to bind and bargain with spirits in a Rank by Rank fashion, rather than calling down Royal Avatars directly. She could also be part of a Clade or similar Z-splat that helps her gain favors from spirits.

If you think that's not a good enough explanation, I'm open to suggestions.
          Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 12-03-2016, 06:04 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
            If you think that's not a good enough explanation, I'm open to suggestions.
            Honestly, favours from entire Chiors and Royal Avatars (as opposed to doing a deal with them, which is risky and time consuming, see Mage: Summoners) is something I'd expect a Werewolf to achieve around Primal Urge 6-8. Other splats should have it a bit harder. Especially if they don't have access to Essence or Spirit related magic to help sweeten any deals.

Basically; given that Beasts don't have any useful Atavisms for working with Spirits (and even if they had one it would never be as broad as Rituals or Spirit Arcana) I wouldn't expect a Beast to be about to out-Spirit ally a Werewolf or Thyrus. Even a mortal shamen with access to Rituals would be able to give one a run for their money. The only way I could see a Beast out Spirit Ally-ing a Werewolf is if they were subordinate to a powerful spirit (Mentor Merit). This has the obvious drawback of getting bossed around, a lot, but at least said powerful Spirit would have your back.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
            My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
            Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
              Thank you as well. Do you have any suggestions or questions?.
              The same The Kings Raven had but you already replied. I'm satisfied with your answer, it's mostly in the hands of the Storyteller to determine when and how Agatha's gained her allies, but it's something that can work well and is easily adaptable to any setting.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
              Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

I'm more friendly than I look, I'm just bad at showing it. Trying to improve about that.

Comment

Say, might I suggest this for additions to Agatha? ajf115's Primordial Sorcery certainly would be a nice fit for her. Furthermore, having two to four dots in Primeval Shaman, as well as Arcane Hungers and Nighmare Sanction would be appropriate alongide her Fetishes. Heck, she might even qualify for the Dark Sage Merit at two dots.
                Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-08-2017, 07:56 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                X