Conquering Heroes in Proofing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conquering Heroes in Proofing

So... I noticed this on the Monday meeting notes and where its currently at.

Has there been any talk as to what this book goes into? I'm hazarding a guess its more detail about Heroes, but I'm wondering if there's anything more to it?

All I've heard about it so far is its title, so any info people might have to share would be wonderful. ^^

It's Night Horrors for Beast.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      It's Night Horrors for Beast.
      Looking over some of the other example books... They seem kind of all over the place as to what they provide. Mostly example antagonists... The Unbidden seems to talk about how Mage can better be a horror game, which sounds very useful and evocative... But also seems to be an opportunity to provide more supernatural powers that the PCs can have?

What do you think or hope Conquering Heroes will provide?

And has anyone working on it talked some about it beyond that its a Night Horrors book? I went searching through the Onyx Path blogs and couldn't find any mention of it...

Comment

It's currently the fourth item listed on the Schedule.

Comment

It's currently the fourth item listed on the Schedule.
          Actually just found that after some googling and was coming here to post that! You beat me to the punch there though. ^^

So it says: "BTP – Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes: This antagonist book for Beast: The Primordial features examples of Heroes, as well as Beasts that have undergone their Inheritance and become lurking monsters or terrifying supernatural forces-to-be-reckoned with. Because Beast has a focus on crossover, some vampire, werewolves, mages, etc. will be included and described in story terms. 128 pages. PDF/PoD."

It looks to mostly be a bestiary type book, I guess... I like having some more presence of other Beasts who have undergone their Inheritance as being a source of Antagonists. I think there needs to be something that can threaten a Lair and one of the Unfettered might be a good candidate for such threats...

I like the idea of presenting other supernatural monsters in story terms. I'm interested in better seeing how Beasts and their Kin can clash.

More information on Heroes, but that's to be expected... Can't say that really excites me, but I'm hoping the book helps make Heroes more interesting to me.

It's not mentioned, but I hope there's more description of the Primordial Dream as a place of nightmares and horror.

Anything in particular that catches your interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradim View Post
            Anything in particular that catches your interest?
            The Night Horrors books are pretty uniformly antagonist books whose primary utility beyond specific characters to transplant into your game is as a collection of examples of how the gameline's metaphysics can get uniquely weird — the Strix and the Idigam got their debut as mechanically-modeled modern concerns in Wicked Dead and Wolfsbane, to give more broadly applicable examples, but from a worldbuilding perspective the salient elements are likely going to be strange template mutations and a handful of new widgets with varying levels of acquisition-readiness.

I look forward to it for the reasons I look forward to reading any given "collection of example phenomena" book, but I'm not banking on game-changing material being in here rather than in the PG or the STG. I consume voraciously, but I'd be lying if I said I expected big setting implications to be gotten without putting the pieces together.

Comment

The Night Horrors books are pretty uniformly antagonist books whose primary utility beyond specific characters to transplant into your game is as a collection of examples of how the gameline's metaphysics can get uniquely weird — the Strix and the Idigam got their debut as mechanically-modeled modern concerns in Wicked Dead and Wolfsbane, to give more broadly applicable examples, but from a worldbuilding perspective the salient elements are likely going to be strange template mutations and a handful of new widgets with varying levels of acquisition-readiness.

I look forward to it for the reasons I look forward to reading any given "collection of example phenomena" book, but I'm not banking on game-changing material being in here rather than in the PG or the STG. I consume voraciously, but I'd be lying if I said I expected big setting implications to be gotten without putting the pieces together.
              That's a fair approach for it, I have to admit.

I guess what I'm most looking forward to then is some insight into other antagonists for Beasts beyond Heroes. I think that's something I could use some help on for better fleshing out threats. Most of what I can think of involves Heroes, other Beasts regarding territory disputes, and largely gaining antagonists vicariously through the supernatural beings they share Kinship with.

... I could definitely do with a book to help broaden my horizons regarding antagonists for Beasts.

Comment

I hope there's some new types of antagonists rather than just pre-statted up existing creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                  I hope there's some new types of antagonists rather than just pre-statted up existing creatures.
                  I think that would be nice, too.

Comment

Considering Beasts thing with family I'm kind of curious if anything more will be brought up on how kinship works with some of these entities. Like a Beast can't be kin with one of the unchained, but how many monsters might fall under the category of being kin in theory, but in practice it doesn't happen for reasons x,y, and z.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                      Considering Beasts thing with family I'm kind of curious if anything more will be brought up on how kinship works with some of these entities. Like a Beast can't be kin with one of the unchained, but how many monsters might fall under the category of being kin in theory, but in practice it doesn't happen for reasons x,y, and z.
                      Dave mentioned Abyssal entities are not Kin, period. I don't remember if this was an oversight in the Beast book or a retcon. I do remember people arguing over whether Abyssals do count as Kin or not.

I think Abyssals are a case of "They are Kin. Except when they aren't. Or both. Or none."

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

It also includes something called the Insatiate. (Or Insatiable maybe.)

Comment

Well that would imply Beasts who can't sate their Hunger. Something eternally hungry that would make Beasts balk at its sheer indulgence.

That... does not sound like anything I'd want to get in the way of.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                            Well that would imply Beasts who can't sate their Hunger. Something eternally hungry that would make Beasts balk at its sheer indulgence.

That... does not sound like anything I'd want to get in the way of.
                            Sounds like a sensible reaction to me, considering that satiable Beasts are capable of laying waste to lives left, right and centre.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

So this has been at WWP for the last two Monday Meetings. Holidays and all may mean it doesn't happen this week, but I'm hoping we get a notice it is going on sale soon.

CofD booklists:
                              Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Working...
                              X